Couldn't copy CD / DVD to computer

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
apisshoneyniey

Couldn't copy CD / DVD to computer

Post by apisshoneyniey » Jan 28th, '09, 05:13

anyone help me..I've got plenty of CD@DVD contains lots of stuff downloaded and burn it into CD/DVD form here but...
my problem is I cant copy it back to computer?hard disk
many ways i've used but still the same result
info that my CD?DVD scratch due to the long term handling
any solutions my dear:-(

i've also refer to the computer shop but they said nothing could do
about 200 movies/dramas contain

helppp:-(

groink

Post by groink » Jan 28th, '09, 05:44

Chances are the DVD drive you're using is newer than the discs. The reason this is an issue is that newer DVD drives have a tendency of being less reliable when it comes to reading media burned by other disc drives. In short, try using an older DVD drive to read the disc. Older drives were build a lot better, and can usually read even the worst of scratched discs. Also, I've found that laptop DVD drives are more problematic than desktop DVD drives, so keep that thought in mind.

If none of those ideas work, try using eye glass cleaner. Spray some cleaner on the disc's data side, and wipe using a microfiber rag. Wipe across, from the center to the outer edge. DO NOT wipe around the disc, or using circular strokes. And if that does not work at this point, I'd try using rubbing compound and a buffing pad, and buff the scratches out.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 28th, '09, 05:54

just out of curiosity, what was the brand name of the cd/dvd media that you used?

apisshoneyniey

Post by apisshoneyniey » Jan 28th, '09, 07:05

various types of dvd from USD0.20 to USD2.00 for 1dvd (i just put it to US currency coz me is not in US but malaysia and for USD2.00per DVD,its quite expensive)

-the thing is, lets say my dvd....after burn is 4.2GB and have 6movies lets say
-for that dvd, i can copy only 2 movies and the rest is cyclic redundancy check it says
-what is eye glass cleaner then?never heard of them...is it kind of lens cleaner for dvd player for most?
-(rubbing compound and a buffing pad, and buff the scratches out.) i'm not getting that thing

thanks for the help..

groink

Post by groink » Jan 28th, '09, 07:44

Here's what I would do then... And it is somewhat confusing of an idea if you don't understand the concept. Instead of dragging the movies off the DVD and onto your hard disk drive, copy the DVD to ISO image using a utility like PowerISO. And then, use PowerISO to extract and copy the files off the ISO image and onto the hard disk drive.

The reason for this is that Microsoft Windows continues to have problems with copying files off DVDs. What PowerISO does is copy the disc using brute force methods that Windows lacks. Same brute force method when PowerISO copies files from the ISO image.

http://www.poweriso.com/

There are other utilities like MagicISO, UltraISO. Use what you can get your hands on.

--- groink

mt877

Post by mt877 » Jan 28th, '09, 17:48

As groink says... and after repairing the scratches you should also try ISOBuster. http://www.isobuster.com/ . ISOBuster uses several methods to read data from corrupt discs. It is shareware, but it also has a free mode which you can use for basic file recovery. I just ran into this problem myself a couple weeks ago where I could not read an older videos data dvd, but my dvd player could play the videos ok. As groink mentioned, I had replaced my dvd drive. Luckily I kept my old dvd drive and put it into an external usb case. I used the older drive to recover my data. I think these issues are caused when the older manufacturer media codes are dropped from the newer drives firmware. Anyway, good luck.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jan 28th, '09, 18:02

Along with all the ISO tools listed above, maybe you could try a different DVD drive reader? Sometimes the older ones (or completely different ones work better in straight file copy or using the ISO tools)

DoramaKing

Post by DoramaKing » Mar 7th, '09, 03:58

Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, claims to copy from scratc dics.
http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

DVDFab HD Decrypter, is great at copying stubborn CD/DVD.
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

ImgBurn - try making an Iso out of it. Sometimes other methods work better than others.
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Mar 7th, '09, 08:17

I use CDCheck which will recover as much data as it can. I then try to find a source that I can redownload corrupt parts from.
It's free.

apisshoneyniey

Post by apisshoneyniey » Apr 5th, '09, 05:39

Thanks all of you guys...but the scratch repairing things did not work...so do the iso buster....
i'm waiting for the older cd drive from my friend....

and 1 more question for all you guys.....i had several dvd movies bought few years ago...
the probs is, i can't copy the file, either back up, convert it direct from dvd...
As i mentioned earlier....my car only supports cd only....all dvd things i need to convert and burn to cd first....
the dvd had cpoy protected i guess but....i use the protection remove software but still can't transfer to my pc and laptop....

hoping all kindly out there could help me....thanks a lot....

JSting

Post by JSting » Apr 6th, '09, 09:12

You might want to check this guide: How to copy a scratched DVD

apisshoneyniey

Post by apisshoneyniey » Apr 8th, '09, 11:30

actually...i've just bought a new dvd yesterday...but still
couldnt copy,burn direct convert....copy protection am i right???
whats the solution?????

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Apr 8th, '09, 11:48

Its probably not working because of your prior sins, I suggest you say 3 Hail Marys while rubbing your stomach and hopping on one foot. If that doesn't work then just try another program like Nero Vision to make dvds and dvd files, or Nero Burning ROM to make ISO's.

If these fail then maybe its a hardware issue and you should get a new drive and if none of the above work then you just have to wonder if you phail at this sort of thing ^.^