DramaWiki - Information Repository for Asian Dramas UPDATE

Data, images, links, competition and er other stuff are here.
chrysanthemum

searching by genre

Post by chrysanthemum » Sep 24th, '07, 19:41

I had an idea. It would be cool if we could search DramaWiki by drama genre. I'm not sure how plausible this is... since I don't know anything about the "structure" of DramaWiki... or about how many dramas have genres assigned to them. :-) I just noticed that Hana Kimi was assigned to the "high school romance comedy" category... which I thought was really funny. And then I thought how great it would be for people addicted to high school romance comedies if they could search DramaWiki by that category.

(Forgive me for not reading the other 20 pages of this forum! Hopefully I'm not repeating someone else's suggestion.)

groink

Re: searching by genre

Post by groink » Sep 25th, '07, 19:39

chrysanthemum wrote:I had an idea. It would be cool if we could search DramaWiki by drama genre. I'm not sure how plausible this is... since I don't know anything about the "structure" of DramaWiki... or about how many dramas have genres assigned to them. :-) I just noticed that Hana Kimi was assigned to the "high school romance comedy" category... which I thought was really funny. And then I thought how great it would be for people addicted to high school romance comedies if they could search DramaWiki by that category.

(Forgive me for not reading the other 20 pages of this forum! Hopefully I'm not repeating someone else's suggestion.)
The only problem with sorting by genre is that the genre itself is the problem. It appears that there's a difference in opinion among the editors as to what genre(s) should be assigned to a particular show. For example, observing the trend in edits made by two editors, they think that even if they giggle once, the show is a comedy. Same thing with romance - just one peck on the cheek and the show's a romance drama. Personally, I don't want to correct the thousands of dramas we already have up on DramaWiki, nor do I want to see the editors go at an edit war over this stuff. It is a good idea in theory, but not practical in a free-form system like a wiki.

--- groink

chrysanthemum

Post by chrysanthemum » Sep 25th, '07, 20:32

Too true. There were some dramas listed as romantic comedies where I was thinking "Was that a comedy? :blink "

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Oct 14th, '07, 02:52

The current load on the server is hovering at around 5 which is not great but just managing. I found out the cause of the last problem with d-addicts going down was because the load was too high on the forum server. I've made some changes to logging and have lowered the security somewhat to trade off for performance and it seems to be running fast again but to plan for the future I'm going to be moving to more high end servers with better support.

I've been looking at ways to improve the revenue and resource stream. We had an offer from a sponsor that should pay well. However, I don't want to implement something that will annoy the hell out of people. What it is after the third page that you view you will be redirected to a full page ad. There will be a link to skip it and it should only happen once per user in a 24 hour period. Anyway, I was thinking of trying this out on the wiki for a month but if it annoys too many people then let me know and I'll scrap it.

dochira

Post by dochira » Oct 17th, '07, 23:30

Is it just me, or are the files for the DramaWiki not there any longer. All I see is the cPanel (you installed it properly, default page)

(Feel free to bonk me if this has been reported elsewhere. Blame it all on :alcoholic: )

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Oct 18th, '07, 07:26

dochira wrote:Is it just me, or are the files for the DramaWiki not there any longer. All I see is the cPanel (you installed it properly, default page)

(Feel free to bonk me if this has been reported elsewhere. Blame it all on :alcoholic: )
whoa that was a bit of a dns slipup. Should be fixed now.

onitsubasa

Post by onitsubasa » Nov 11th, '07, 01:56

Just to let you know. That ad consistently pops up after every click when using Opera to browse wiki. Just thought you should know

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Nov 11th, '07, 02:04

onitsubasa wrote:Just to let you know. That ad consistently pops up after every click when using Opera to browse wiki. Just thought you should know
It does it with Firefox, too. Every single page you try to view.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Nov 11th, '07, 02:54

Kazuya_ wrote:
onitsubasa wrote:Just to let you know. That ad consistently pops up after every click when using Opera to browse wiki. Just thought you should know
really? it only happens once for me Firefox 2.0.0.9. What version are you using?

groink

Post by groink » Nov 11th, '07, 05:54

Ruroshin wrote:
Kazuya_ wrote:
really? it only happens once for me Firefox 2.0.0.9. What version are you using?
Same with me regarding Ruroshin's experience... I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.9, and I only get the ad once per visit.

--- groink

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Nov 11th, '07, 07:26

I guess that was why. I made sure to update to the latest version and now it doesn't do it.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Nov 11th, '07, 11:48

I've just made it so none of the advertisements shows up for users that are logged in so only guests will see them and regular users will not.

bluenvision

Post by bluenvision » Nov 12th, '07, 17:50

Hey
I wanted to join DramaWiki but all i can see is "Log in" part in the "Create and account or log in" page. :( Is there a problem? Thanks ^^

groink

Post by groink » Nov 12th, '07, 20:25

bluenvision wrote:Hey
I wanted to join DramaWiki but all i can see is "Log in" part in the "Create and account or log in" page. :( Is there a problem? Thanks ^^
No. We've prevented DramaWiki from allowing people to create accounts. What do you plan on contributing to DramaWiki? We need to know before issuing new accounts.

--- groink

bluenvision

Post by bluenvision » Nov 12th, '07, 22:26

Well I want to help wiki by adding missing info for jdramas. I don't have any information on any particular jdrama right now, but i'll try to help.

groink

Post by groink » Nov 12th, '07, 22:39

bluenvision wrote:Well I want to help wiki by adding missing info for jdramas. I don't have any information on any particular jdrama right now, but i'll try to help.
Make sure you read and understand the following:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Help:Contents
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:DramaWiki_is_not
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Style_guide
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Jap ... Formatting

Once you understand these, PM either Ruroshin or Gryzze requesting for an account.

--- groink

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 4th, '08, 21:55

Has anyone else been experiencing ridiculously slow loading times when browsing the D-Wiki?

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jan 4th, '08, 22:04

it has been slow for the past few days..i cant even edit sometimes because the page keeps on timing out.. :-(

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 5th, '08, 06:58

Performance should improve now.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 5th, '08, 07:13

Thanks Ruroshin. I've been using it tonight and it's been back up to speed. I appreciate all the hard work. :-)

Doraburi

Talent Agencies

Post by Doraburi » Jan 9th, '08, 02:21

How would the powers that be feel about transitioning actors' existing, external talent agency links into DWiki category links? Then we'd generate lists of the agencies' other clients to which we could manually add info about the agencies themselves.

IMHO, there are two main reasons the average user would click on an agency link: to learn about the agency, or to learn more about the actor.

If someone wants to learn about the agency, that person would be better served by an informative internal page rather than being placed immediately onto the agency's cruel doorstep.

Those who want to learn more about the actor can follow the "Official Site" link at the bottom of the actor's DWiki page. Then we wouldn't have the inevitable two links to the same domain on each actor's page.

groink

Re: Talent Agencies

Post by groink » Jan 9th, '08, 04:54

Doraburi wrote:How would the powers that be feel about transitioning actors' existing, external talent agency links into DWiki category?
Against. DramaWiki is TV dramas FIRST. The actors who perform in them are secondary. As I've voted down other categories like genre, extending the production categories, and even blood type, I think talent agencies don't need to be emphasized any more within DramaWiki. So Johnny's Jimusho hires only males? Hurrah! OSCAR owns Ueto Aya? Ummmm, okay. Maybe you like the talent agencies. I personally think they're almost mafia-like, and we don't need to publicize them any more than we already have.

--- groink

Doraburi

Re: Talent Agencies

Post by Doraburi » Jan 11th, '08, 09:57

Maybe you like the talent agencies. I personally think they're almost mafia-like, and we don't need to publicize them any more than we already have.
I don't know enough about the talent agencies to form an educated opinion like that. That's the reason I come to the Drama Wiki, to learn from people like yourself who are more knowledgeable than I am. It's not earth shattering, but the proposal would enable someone like me to see at a glance which actors Johnny's controls, and through them which dramas Johnny influences; or how often Oscar Pro manages to foist other Oscar clients onto Ueto vehicles. Putting the data into a more useful form would do no more to publicize the agencies than now; less, since instead of hundreds of links to them there would be only a handful.

Well, I understand your position on cruft. But since the data is there, can you make a Gruling about whether the agency link should go to the agency's main page or to the agency's actor-specific page? It's inconsistent.

onaneagleswings

Post by onaneagleswings » Jan 11th, '08, 10:59

I read the first few pages and the last few pages, so if this is in the middle somewhere, I apologize.

Are there plans to eventually allow information about Asian movies in the wiki as well, or is there another website that does this? Often, I'll look at an actor's bio page and want to find out what the movie they were in is about, but there's never anything but maybe a link to the official website, often in a language I can't understand.

Even if D-Addicts doesn't allow it, is there another wiki site that does this? It is a feature I would like very much!

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 11th, '08, 12:09

Haha, nice picture.

Well it is a good idea to think about adding new categories like company pages. In wiki terms it would make sense if we will have (or already have) several articles about companies or related articles (artists?). Since there are already some articles on Wikipedia and on ThePPN we have been linking them instead of creating our own. How many articles about (noteworthy) companies or agencies could we expect and are the associated artists drama related at all? How hard is it to keep track of the clients(artists) leaving a company and maybe joining another, or isn't that a problem?

Generally I like the idea of associating existing articles through new categories. In this case we would need a (sub)category for each company or agency and a super category for all the subcategories. But one nasty thing is that you will constantly have to switch or remove the categories if the persons change or end their relationship to a company (or small mafia-like managements if you like). I don't like adding information to the wiki that is subject to change and needs to be updated or validated a lot. I don't know much about the japenese (or generally asian) entertainment industry. Just some thoughts...

And some random related links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny%27s_Entertainment
http://wiki.theppn.org/Category:Talent_Agency

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 11th, '08, 12:18

onaneagleswings wrote:Are there plans to eventually allow information about Asian movies in the wiki as well, or is there another website that does this? Often, I'll look at an actor's bio page and want to find out what the movie they were in is about, but there's never anything but maybe a link to the official website, often in a language I can't understand.

Even if D-Addicts doesn't allow it, is there another wiki site that does this? It is a feature I would like very much!
No, there will be no movie related content. Every webshop has this info because most movies are being distributed on DVD. There are big moviedatabases on the Web already.

Links: Internet Movie Database
For webshops you may like to check our Links Of Interest thread.. I don't want to spam here. :wink:

Doraburi

Post by Doraburi » Jan 18th, '08, 04:23

Generally I like the idea of associating existing articles through new categories. In this case we would need a (sub)category for each company or agency and a super category for all the subcategories. But one nasty thing is that you will constantly have to switch or remove the categories if the persons change or end their relationship to a company (or small mafia-like managements if you like). I don't like adding information to the wiki that is subject to change and needs to be updated or validated a lot.
This potentially changing data already exists on the wiki, so unless we remove it we are already in a position where we have to update it. If we convert the existing references to categories rather than links to the agencies, then the agency category pages would be at least as accurate as the actors' pages with no additional overhead. I'm talking a bare bones category page (and super category, as you say) that just correlates the actors in a given stable and letting ThePPN and Wikipedia people write up the agency if anybody over there cares.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 18th, '08, 04:41

The reason I'm against categorizing by artist association is that DramaWiki is not aka ActorWiki. That's my platform - put our energies into the TV dramas, which is our number-one focus. We are still missing thousands of TV dramas on DramaWiki. Ai no Gekijyo is still over 50-percent incomplete. 98-percent of the 1980s shows are still not documented. Quashlo is working his ass off at cleaning all of our bad romanizing up and completing the existing dramas. Let's continue locating and documenting these shows, and clean up what we already have.

ThePPN does an EXCELLENT job focusing on the artists, and a lousy job at TV dramas. I don't see the logic in repeating what they're doing on DramaWiki, and IMHO vise-versa. That's the whole point about the Internet! It is a waste of resources to repeat and data mine the same information on every site! You go to KFC for fried chicken, and hamburgers at a burger joint.

--- groink

Doraburi

Post by Doraburi » Jan 19th, '08, 11:14

ThePPN does an EXCELLENT job focusing on the artists
OK, I understand your priorities and will work on filling in the 80s and early 90s dramas. But may I say with all due respect, even if you didn't intend it the Drama Wiki is the premier English source for data on the artists. I mean, ThePPN lists a total of 84 Japanese actors. You have over 1100. They have 150 Japanese actresses. You have 1048. This is where the data is, not over there. Give yourself some credit!

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Jan 24th, '08, 04:43

You are my hero Doraburi, love the images. I have nothing to add to this, I was just wondering if it's only me experiencing a 403 forbidden error when using the google search on dramawiki? Actual pages work fine just the search engine seems wonky?

Edit - Works fine for me now, must have bee something on my side.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 30th, '08, 02:57

i hardly ever come to this thread, but i just dropped by.

Doraburi: your comic strips are absolutely hilarious. this one almost made me cough up a liver laughing.

the person with the ultimate say here is Ruroshin, but i'm interested in what other consistent contributors (like groink) have to say because i feel you've made some excellent points.

(*still laughing at your tokyo love story one*)

Anatoli

Post by Anatoli » Mar 28th, '08, 04:40

Hello,

How can I get an account Drama Wiki?

flick.enchained

Post by flick.enchained » Apr 3rd, '08, 05:18

Just wondering: If I just wanted to add one tiny detail, is there someone I can contact (who already has an account) to add this extra line of information please? Thanks!

groink

Post by groink » Apr 3rd, '08, 05:27

flick.enchained wrote:Just wondering: If I just wanted to add one tiny detail, is there someone I can contact (who already has an account) to add this extra line of information please? Thanks!
Just post it here.

flick.enchained

Post by flick.enchained » Apr 4th, '08, 09:34

groink wrote: Just post it here.
Thanks, groink! :)
This information is for the new jdrama Keitai Sousakan 7 or Keitai Sosakan 7
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Keitai_Sosakan_7
Opening theme: WAKE YOU UP by Hitomi Shimatani
Ending theme: Sands of Time by BACK-ON
The wiki already mentions that Hitomi Shimatani is singing the theme song (as it was announced in almost all the major press coverage about the drama) but not all of them mentioned the song title. The official website now has all this info:
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/contents/k-ta ... music.html

Thank you for your help! :)

humbeggar

WikiRoll directly copies Dramawiki

Post by humbeggar » Apr 15th, '08, 05:44

Can one of the Dramawiki administrator go and ask WikiRoll (part of Crunchyroll) to stop copying their content from DramaWiki?! As an editor, I don't want the efforts of all the DramaWiki editors go into generating revenue/traffic for the lazyass CrunchyRoll. If I am editing drama articles for money, I wouldn't be helping out dramawiki in the first place. So, please, somebody go and kick their ass for the rest of us, their admin should at least have the courtesy to advise new editors not to copy directly from dramaWiki.

Also they set a bad example for other websites in the future in terms of ripping off of dramaWiki. I admit that there might be some ignorant editors who might have copied stuff off of other websites into DramaWiki but overall, DramaWiki is a legitimate group effort to organize drama information through numerous revisions from lots of editors. What crunchyRoll did (copying things word for word, exact format), despite giving credit to Dramawiki on their website, is not fair to all the editors in the dramaWiki community.

:x

zephyrsky

Post by zephyrsky » Apr 16th, '08, 03:37

Would it be possible to add a disclaimer/note to the DramaWiki sign in / sign up page pointing to this thread or giving instructions on how to make an account.

There's no notation there and I was rather confused as to why it wasn't giving me a signup box (I'd been looking to add a page for an actress in a new series who hasn't yet had one made yet and about whom I know a bit )

It was only after several minutes of confustion that I thought to check the d-addicts forums.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 16th, '08, 03:59

I'd go to Crunchyroll and edit their wiki!!!!! If someone there gives you sh*t, tell them that DramaWiki does not have a relationship with Crunchyroll regarding exchange of information. Matter of fact, tell fricking Shinji to spend some of his 4+ million dollars and hire someone to write "original" information.

I don' think anyone there will listen until you stir up some trouble. That's my approach!

--- groink

humbeggar

WikiRoll and DramaWiki

Post by humbeggar » Apr 17th, '08, 07:34

Here's the reply I got after bringing up the issue to the moderators over at CrunchyRoll:

I will speak to the team regarding putting a warning for our users. Is there an email address that we can reach out at?

The reply was sent out by one of the moderators there, named Booi. So Groink, or any other admins of DramaWiki, maybe someone can pm me your email address? So I can message it to Booi, or perhaps you can contact Booi directly...?

I don't know if you guys feel the same, but I felt better after I got a reply from them.

ebony

Post by ebony » Apr 17th, '08, 07:46

hi i was just wondering is anyone else haveing problems with loading drama wiki page it just wont load for me. ty :-)

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Apr 17th, '08, 07:50

seems to be down for the count at the moment, for me since yesterday...
so you're not the only one...

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Apr 17th, '08, 07:58

I was having trouble with it this morning (couldn't even access the DA, actually), but it seems to be working now.

Mattthecat
Germany

Post by Mattthecat » Apr 20th, '08, 12:33

I was a bit irritated searching the wiki to find out a big ad for Scientology (which isn't even tagged as an advertisement) right smack at the top of the page.

I don't think quite frankly that an organization whose aim it is to generate money on the back of their members while manipulating their minds has any place on a jdorama site. Having said that I would have been just as bothered had it been an ad for ANY other sect (or even religion).

I don't know if d-addicts can control who is advertising, but I would appreciate it if you could take some action.
Thank you

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Apr 24th, '08, 13:32

Hi there, is there any way to use references or footnotes? Something like this or this.

Thanks

groink

Post by groink » Apr 24th, '08, 20:32

ruisu wrote:Hi there, is there any way to use references or footnotes? Something like this or this.

Thanks
Because of the nature of the articles on DramaWiki, we generally create a section such as "== Notes ==" or "== Trivia ==" near the bottom of the article and add the information there. Otherwise, we don't support the type of footnoting that they do on Wikipedia.

--- groink

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Apr 24th, '08, 20:37

okay, ty

I wound up using HTML to give the effect with the superscript <SUP></SUP> tags. But I didn't figure out how to make them links.

Jdthebud

Post by Jdthebud » May 9th, '08, 00:53

well i was trying create an account on Drama wiki, then I went here and found this. I guess my reason is the same as below.I just started watching J-Dramas recently, and when I see stupid mistakes or easily repairable broken links, I want to fix them, but i can't :'(. I have read all the help pages, so yeah. Please help! :)
groink wrote:
bluenvision wrote:Well I want to help wiki by adding missing info for jdramas. I don't have any information on any particular jdrama right now, but i'll try to help.
Make sure you read and understand the following:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Help:Contents
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:DramaWiki_is_not
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Style_guide
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Jap ... Formatting

Once you understand these, PM either Ruroshin or Gryzze requesting for an account.

--- groink
jdramas rock!

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 9th, '08, 00:57

Besides the style guide, they're really not that long 8)
He didn't say memorize it either. :D

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Jun 22nd, '08, 10:47

The "We Are Married" would be considered as a Korean reality tv show correct? Or is it something else, because I was going to add it to d-wiki

http://imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/sundaynight/married/s1/

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jun 25th, '08, 11:32

It seems we have outgrown our current server, we're now using more bandwidth than what we are allocated and the server is starting to experience high load more than often. So I am currently in the process of setting up a bigger server in both bandwidth and processing power. Its likely this will be done in the next few days after, that we will make the switch over.

DramaWiki will be temporarly offline for an hour or so during the move. The new server will also be located in the same datacenter as the forum so there will be an IP address change. I will post more details closer to the change over date.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jun 27th, '08, 13:24

Upgrade will be postponed until I can solve some problems with the server.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jun 28th, '08, 13:39

Server move and upgrade completed.

The new address for the DramaWiki and FansubWiki is 89.149.226.178

It can take upto 48 hours for the DNS around the world to update with the new information.

If you impatient then you can add the following line to your hosts file:

89.149.226.178 wiki.d-addicts.com
89.149.226.178 fansub.d-addicts.com

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jun 30th, '08, 23:28

"Save page" is so much faster now! Great upgrade :-)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 4th, '08, 19:26

Finally, the DramaWiki Statistics have been updated.

Suou

Post by Suou » Aug 4th, '08, 22:06

Hi, I'd like to contribute with o.o a new article for this actor which seems to be missing: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/index.php?tit ... ction=edit

Is it ok to post it here? Or should I send the whole profile by PM o.o to an editor?

fathskie

Post by fathskie » Sep 10th, '08, 03:20

Hi there...

I cannot create new account in dramawiki..
why is that?
Only the log in, but I don't find the register "form" anywhere..

Help?

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Sep 10th, '08, 03:32

^^ Look at the very first post in the thread you've just posted in.

fathskie

Post by fathskie » Sep 10th, '08, 13:15

Ah!!
Sumimasen deshita!!

I'll look at it a.s.a.p, thank you, minna, for not scolding me. lol.

Persiana

Post by Persiana » Sep 28th, '08, 19:32

Hi

Not sure if I should report this or not but I've been receiving the following errors since yesterday and cannot access DramaWiki :-(

Code: Select all

Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot contact the database server.
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (11)

Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot contact the database server.
Too many connections

#08004Too many connections
Is everything OK?

thanks.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 28th, '08, 20:29

Persiana wrote:Hi

Not sure if I should report this or not but I've been receiving the following errors since yesterday and cannot access DramaWiki :-(

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (11)

Too many connections

#08004Too many connections
Is everything OK?

thanks.
MoerkJ have e-mail Ruroshin about this.
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_65737.htm

Persiana

Post by Persiana » Sep 29th, '08, 09:18

Keiko1981 wrote: MoerkJ have e-mail Ruroshin about this.
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_65737.htm
Ah, thanks a bunch for both your reply and the link Image

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Sep 29th, '08, 18:56

sorry for the delay, but it may take some more hours until the server is fixed.

unfortunately the problem couldn't be solved yet, because (i) it's still night time in Ruroshin's timezone and (ii) I don't have full access to the server at the moment. :|

Please be patient...

I guess it's not helping either that several search engines and indexing bots are trying to crawl the wiki at the same time. :glare:

gokidora

Post by gokidora » Oct 2nd, '08, 21:25

In cases where editors have signed their synopses, can these be modified and, if so, can the attribution be removed?
I don't have a jones for modifying summaries, but, as a matter of policy, attribution to an editor seems to go against the wiki spirit of collaboration and amounts to a claim of ownership of that page element, however unintentional.

groink

Post by groink » Oct 2nd, '08, 21:45

gokidora wrote:In cases where editors have signed their synopses, can these be modified and, if so, can the attribution be removed?
I don't have a jones for modifying summaries, but, as a matter of policy, attribution to an editor seems to go against the wiki spirit of collaboration and amounts to a claim of ownership of that page element, however unintentional.
DramaWiki isn't like most other wiki's. Most of the elements of an article can be contributed by multiple sources, such as the details, cast, production, and external links sections.

However, the synopsis is usually the work of a single editor or source. DramaWiki has always taken the pride in having the editors write the synopses themselves, versus blatantly copying synopses from other sources. The purpose for the signing is that it points out the source of the material, and also allow the editor to take some pride in his contribution. But, by changing a large percentage of the synopsis (i.e. maybe 20-percent or more,) it is no longer the work of the source, as it is enough for it to become an original DramaWiki writing.

If the source is an external site, such as Tokyograph, then by all means hack at the synopsis enough so that it becomes a DramaWiki original.

BUT, if the source is one of the other editors such as myself, then you should collaborate with that editor. This same courtesy rule applies with Wikipedia in that the talk pages should be used to discuss the editing of the synopsis, rather than just being aggressive and do a total re-write of someone else's work. Spelling or grammar corrections do not count - doing so still makes it the work of the primary editor. Remember that, as you indicated, it is a collaboration effort. But, collaboration by definition does have its own set of rules (use of the talk page, etc.)

--- groink

Persiana

Image as a Malware!

Post by Persiana » Oct 15th, '08, 14:03

Hi,

Yesterday I encountered an strange thing while loading the profile image of the actor Ryu Seung Soo (located at this page ) as my anti virus (avast! 4.8 home edition) kept recognizing it as a malware (either a virus or worm) and aborted my connection every time :blink

Now I wonder if that was really a security issue or was it just my AV making a false detection :scratch:

below you can find the related snapshots of the event:

Multi: BinarylFrame

HTML: lframe-Gen

PS.
My AV doesn't recognize other "framed" images as so!

ina

Post by ina » Jan 12th, '09, 21:51

Is there an ongoing problem with the wiki pages? (drama wiki and fansub wiki) They have been unavailable for me from time to time in the past but it got worse in the last few days.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 12th, '09, 22:45

ina wrote:Is there an ongoing problem with the wiki pages? (drama wiki and fansub wiki) They have been unavailable for me from time to time in the past but it got worse in the last few days.
Currently the database service is not available. Because of the site's popularity, most of the hits are from Internet cache server bots and search engine bots. These hits are taking up too many connections to the database service, so it shuts out the legitimate connections like the wiki software. :(

--- groink

kimiko_chan1234

Post by kimiko_chan1234 » Jan 13th, '09, 23:59

Hey, I was just wondering...
I've noticed that only some drama pages (e.g Meteor Garden) have reviews written about them...why?
Is this an "official" section of dramawiki?

groink

Post by groink » Jan 14th, '09, 00:08

kimiko_chan1234 wrote:Hey, I was just wondering...
I've noticed that only some drama pages (e.g Meteor Garden) have reviews written about them...why?
Is this an "official" section of dramawiki?
At one time, D-Addicts had a separate forum for reviews. In 2005, DramaWiki was created, and all the reviews prior to the opening of the wiki were moved over to the respective articles. A few more reviews were directly added to DramaWiki, but then the reviews basically stopped coming in.

We still allow reviews to be added to the drama articles, but only if they're written by the editor him/herself. We don't allow copying of reviews (same rule applies for the synopses) from other web sites. Most of the editors on DramaWiki have chosen to post their reviews on their own user pages, which under the rules can't be touched by other editors. If the editor posted the review on the drama's article, then others can edit it as well.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 14th, '09, 00:21

In the early days (2004/2005) we had a reviewer team here in the forum. With the establishment of DramaWiki we moved the reviews to the wiki. The reviewer team dissolved in 2005 or so. And, AFAIK, there is no interest in having more reviews. Furthermore, because reviews are of subjective nature they are in conflict with the Neutral Point of View (NPOV) policy of a wiki.

edit: ah, groink was faster :sweat:

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 25th, '09, 23:24

ina wrote:Is there an ongoing problem with the wiki pages? (drama wiki and fansub wiki) They have been unavailable for me from time to time in the past but it got worse in the last few days.
The problem is known for some time already. Every few days the webserver completely hangs and needs to be restarted. Unfortunately I couldn't narrow down the source for the problem. Maybe it is a serverload problem or some strange flooding of requests that crash the server. :scratch:

In order to reduce the load I have disabled image hotlinking for all referrers except d-addicts.com . Instead of the pictures you'll see this little text message:

So, if you have a drama blog or forum you have to host the images yourself or use a free image hoster like http://www.imageshack.us.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 25th, '09, 23:45

MoerkJ wrote:In order to reduce the load I have disabled image hotlinking for all referrers except d-addicts.com . Instead of the pictures you'll see this little text message:
That is SO COOL! Yes, I've seen DramaWiki imagery on many other websites like Crunchyroll, MySoju and such. And they didn't just upload the images to a different server. Right-clicking on the images and going to Properties shows the URLs pointing to D-A.

One thing I want to re-iterate regarding hotlinking. Many people who decided not to understand the underlinings of the Internet are not aware of how serious hotlinking to someone else's web site is. Hotlinking steals bandwidth and other resources from the hosting web site. Many web sites are limited to a certain amount of bandwidth per day. Many web sites are designed to reside on a certain server hardware platform, with its resources like CPU, RAM, etc. to handle a certain amount of traffic. A simple web site, such as a blog should not expect that much traffic. But, when a very popular web site hotlinks to just one photo on that much smaller web site, the smaller web site can be forced to shut down. This happened to me when both C-Net and Slashdot decided to hotlink to one of the photos on my web site.

This is why DramaWiki is so strict on not allowing hotlinking to imagery hosted on other web sites. We do not want these other web sites to shut down because of the amount of traffic DramaWiki draws on their resources. And, at the same time, we do not want others to hotlink to DramaWiki imagery. DramaWiki and D-Addicts host these banner ads for a reason - to cover the cost of hosting. If we were able to shut down all hotlinking, D-Addicts hosting would be much cheaper (and, maybe you would see far less banner ads.)

Everything works together as a complete system. Don't abuse the system like this.

--- groink

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 26th, '09, 11:39

What a wonderful image MoerkJ! :lol :thumright:

winmei

dramawiki is a bit wacki

Post by winmei » Jan 29th, '09, 11:09

is anyone having the same issues? when you search for anything on dramawiki and you click on the results, instead of bringing you to the drama you want, it brings you to something totally unrelated. usually some other site and you can't get back to dramawiki unless you retype that path. what is going on?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 30th, '09, 20:28

Give me some more info so I can understand what happened to you.
(1) did you use the Google search or the wiki search?
(2) what did you search for?
(3) which link have you clicked
(4) what page did you get?

--MoerkJ :salut: