Hotelier (MBC, 2001)

Discuss Korean drama series here.

What do you think or thought of Hotelier?

Boring as stay away
6%
Good
33%
Average
14%
Must Watch, It's a great series
47%

Total votes: 79

Tekuza

Hotelier (MBC, 2001)

Post by Tekuza » Feb 25th, '05, 02:57

Hi guys just doing a poll coz i've had Hotelier DVD set for god knows how long i found it and it was dusty i watched one ep and looks so BOOOOOORRRRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG i just wanted a poll if anyone can suggest its good or not i only wanted to see coz of Song Hye Gyo but i don't think it's worth the boring torment :crazy: Hopefully some of you guys can also leave opinions about it thanx again

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 25th, '05, 03:46

Give it a try. It's not as boring as it seems. Besides the love story among the 4 lead characters, there's always something new happening in every episode. And the subplot about the takeover of the hotel is quite exciting towards the end.

innocentchica

Post by innocentchica » Feb 25th, '05, 03:50

I watched 11 episodes of Hotelier and gave up. It was so boring... -_- I fell asleep on it a few times. I expected it to be great because of all the rave about it months ago. Yah... Didn't really turn out that way for me. So nope, I don't think it's good. :roll

cleorosa

Post by cleorosa » Feb 25th, '05, 03:52

pretty good . ..
:-)

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Feb 25th, '05, 03:58

Hotelier really is a hit or miss for most people. It doesn't follow the usual romantic or melodrama storyline. It's really a story about a business intertwined with romance... I found it pretty interesting to see how a hotel functioned in addition to the love story. ^____^ Then again, some people may find that boring; others may find that fascinating...

I would recommend it. :)

howard36

Post by howard36 » Feb 28th, '05, 08:27

I've watched the first 19 eps (stuck at 95.1% on 20). I've very much enjoyed the series so far. Some events in the series were obviously going to happen, but their predictable nature did not take away from the journey. Nice variety of mannerisms and history driven motivation for the characters. Two thumbs up.

P.S.
I used to work as a banquet waiter (Chicago/Downtown Hyatt). The insight into the inner workings of the hotel was just enough without going so far as to make things boring. If I have to find a bone to pick regarding accuracy, it would be the small number of broken dishes across the first 19 eps. There was rarely a day that went by without the melodic sounds of wine glasses falling from trays and shattering on the floor.

justme

Post by justme » Feb 28th, '05, 14:38

Its a must watch.....but try skipping all those boring hotel board meeting parts which was what I did and it turned out wonderful for me......

Like Howard36 I worked with the Marriott chain events dept one period of time but for me, it gave my job a tad more 'imagination' . It is rather realistic in certain ways...but a bit too idealistic in others. My workplace proved to be quite a fertile ground for budding romances as well...LOL!

alvy

Post by alvy » Feb 28th, '05, 14:58

When I asked for tips on good kdrama, several people recommended Hotelier as a place to start. I have only watched the two first episodes so far, but I think it looks pretty good.

htea21

Post by htea21 » Apr 27th, '05, 06:09

could someone tell me where i could find the episodes for Hotelier? I've been hearing a lot about this series. The torrents dont have enough seeds so if someone could recommend a clubbox that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mrpotatoman

Post by mrpotatoman » Apr 27th, '05, 06:46

hotelier wasn't that bad. I didn't like the ending though. I thought it was a bad ending.

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » Apr 27th, '05, 07:16

It's pretty good :-)

kvsanan

Post by kvsanan » Apr 27th, '05, 12:55

i've watched it and i liked it very much,though i didn't like the ending and it makes me feel sad. just like what jannah said there's new happening it every episode.try to watch it. :-) :-) :-)

tonami

Ending

Post by tonami » Apr 27th, '05, 13:08

I think the story line doesn't lead to the ending very well.

Maybe, I don't have good understanding of woman's psyc..

It has a double love-triangle, but it doesn't not have deceit/hate you see in other triangles.. I think that's why I liked it.

It also featuring.. bae yong joon, song hye kyo, song yoon ah, ... i forgot the other leading actor..

:)
Last edited by tonami on Apr 27th, '05, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

haha land

Post by haha land » Apr 27th, '05, 16:34

It's one of the best :thumright: . Ending could have been better, but you can't really complain since it's a KDrama. Personally, I think JDrama have better endings than KDrama.

keii_san

Post by keii_san » Apr 27th, '05, 17:24

I'd recommend this series..it's one of my favorite so far.

In the beginning, such as the first ep, it seems to be boring, but believe me..the series picks up really quickly.

Miss Bouakham

Post by Miss Bouakham » Apr 30th, '05, 07:38

i dunno
i found it hard to get into
i was really disappointed
and i only watched it for song hye gyo (she should have ended up with park jung chul! :crazy: )

but then again, consider the fact that i watched the dubbed version, so a lot of parts were cut out and translations might not be accurate *shrugs*

wellmin

Post by wellmin » Apr 30th, '05, 23:57

Hotelier is one of my favourite dramas. First, it doesn't focus exclusively on romance, so it doesn't go into the usual melodrama. It's really neat to watch a show and 'learn' from it as well, as opposed to the usual kdrama about dating. I have no experience with the hotel industry, but I thought this was cool to watch.

There's pretty good subs for it floating around, too. I even learned a new English word, 'retrenchment'. Some of the subs out there are wonky, but this one was darned good. I'm not sure if it was rip from Yesasia....

georgeyklee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by georgeyklee » May 1st, '05, 00:15

i'll say its a great drama, but at time, it can be a drag.. I tend to fast forward some boring part to get to the romantic part. overall, u should watch it, and judge it for urself.

n_lotus

Post by n_lotus » May 24th, '05, 12:43

Jannah wrote:Give it a try. It's not as boring as it seems. Besides the love story among the 4 lead characters, there's always something new happening in every episode. And the subplot about the takeover of the hotel is quite exciting towards the end.
Totally agree :thumright:
keii_san wrote:In the beginning, such as the first ep, it seems to be boring, but believe me..the series picks up really quickly.
It is usual for the first episodes to be not exciting , and ofcourse you do not expect to know the whole story line just from 1 or 2 episodes :-)

It is really great and one my favourites :wub:

pinkstuff

Post by pinkstuff » May 24th, '05, 21:08

It was good for the first half of the series, but then started to get REALLY boring. If you want to watch it just b/c of SHG, you must know that for every episode she only appears for 15 minutes max. The show mainly shows the hotelier lady, her ex boyfriend, and the rich guy who wants buy the hotel.

Silvestre
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Silvestre » Sep 6th, '05, 21:38

sucky ending...SHG should have been paired up with someone instead of wandering around like that...and i don't really understand what Han Tae-Jun has in mind...he's kinda weird when it comes to girls...impotent, perhaps?? :D

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Sep 6th, '05, 21:45

Silvestre wrote:sucky ending...SHG should have been paired up with someone instead of wandering around like that...and i don't really understand what Han Tae-Jun has in mind...he's kinda weird when it comes to girls...impotent, perhaps?? :D
lol, i guess busy busy people has no time for love :D but i gotta say that this is a great drama, it doesn't focus on love and relationship like most kdrama does. it focuses mostly on the politics and problems inside a hotel. a pretty unique plot really. and another thing, song hye kyo is in there, so that says it all for me. :lol

jinx23

Post by jinx23 » Sep 9th, '05, 02:52

Its a must watch for Bae Yong Jun & Song Yoon Ah fans! As for Song Hye Go fans, its still worth watching as there is quite a fair bit on her too. The plot does get interesting but I'm not sure if I would've liked it that much if I weren't a huge fan of BYJ!

twenty197

Post by twenty197 » Nov 6th, '05, 03:51

I liked it very much. Its not purely lovestory but also about life. How the characters have changed and evolved. I'm just disappointed that it wasn't clear if Han Tae Jun will end up with Kim Yoon Hee. It was left hanging with the girl looking at an arriving airplane which probably has Han Tae Jun inside.
Would you think that they would end up together?

n_lotus

Post by n_lotus » Nov 6th, '05, 08:51

twenty197 wrote: I'm just disappointed that it wasn't clear if Han Tae Jun will end up with Kim Yoon Hee. It was left hanging with the girl looking at an arriving airplane which probably has Han Tae Jun inside.
Would you think that they would end up together?
I felt confused about that too :unsure: . But was it a dream when she ran towards Han Tae Jun and hugged him in the desert ? :scratchchin:

twenty197

Post by twenty197 » Nov 6th, '05, 15:00

The part where Yoon Hee ran towards Tae Jun was a dream but the last scene where Yoon Hee was looking at the airplane I think was not. Remember that Han Tae Jun is going to Las Vegas with Young Jae to receive the award for Hotel Seoul because GM O will not be able to go due to his wife's pregnancy. There was a scene there after HTJ read KYH letter that he looked at his window and seemed to be thinking.
I would like for both of them to be together because I felt that everytime KYH was with HTJ he was happy. Even when he had so many problems with the hotel Yoon Hee makes him laugh and smile unlike his scenes with Jin Yeong wherein they always quarrel. His widest smiles and laughters were the scenes with Yoon Hee and not with Jin Yeong.
Although he feels something for Jin Yeong I think that they both realized that they are destined to be friends. If they were really meant to be together why then nothing happened to both of them when Jin Yeong decided to stay and Dong Hyuk left?
Letting go of the past made it hard for both of them to forget. Tthat was the link that binds them together and of course their close friendship. The feelings that they have is somewhat in between love as a friend and romantic love which confuses both of them but in the end they settled to being friends.

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Aug 20th, '08, 12:12

Oh muh-gawd!!! Ho Gae's in this!!! And he's crazy psycho!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh, this series is hilarious -- but thrilling just the same!! I haven't seen every single episode, but I've seen enough to understand what's going on. It's fun to watch! From the part where Bae Yong Jun traps the hotel manager in that room with double sided doors and yanks those electric things out causing sparks and then forces her to look into his eyes, kiss (gently) and embrace (what a scene! XD), to the part where he tries to buyout the hotel, in a hurry for obvious reasons, and the race to get to the 3% share holder -- it's on!

Come to think of it, I thought BYJ was kinda nuts too, at that part, which is what made it all the more fun and exciting to watch!!

iheartkleenex

Post by iheartkleenex » Dec 28th, '08, 22:59

Hotelier is one of my favourite dramas, Apart from the romance going on I found it really interesting to see how a hotel functions. I would recommended to everyone. Especially people who are fans of BYJ.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jan 21st, '12, 01:39

I watched the first episode and, apparently unlike most people, loved it no romance in sight just a story about the workplace, from what others are saying it looks like they didn't do the smart thing and keep it like that my question is do they at least keep the romance as a subplot or does it take over. As a side note I saw a sign for the blue men group at the beginning of episode 2, didn't know they were that old

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Feb 16th, '12, 20:18

This drama was one of my favourites at the time. I thought the cast was good and the idea of basing it on a hotel takeover etc was quite new to me. I liked seeing how a large hotel works behind the scenes. It made me ask once if I could go 'backstage' at a Marriott and it was fascinating to get a guided tour.
I think the romances were handled rather well and you really want couples to get together and be happy. The plotting and planning for the business side of things was very exciting at places.
I fell for BYJ in this drama but found out pretty soon that it was the role and the character I liked, not really BYJ. He really is not an actor for me but he is a really clever business man and makes lots of money...

Never could understand why he had so much trouble with a romantic scene if kissing was involved. There was a shot of him coming out of a cooler room with a small handheld fan before he had to do one of those scenes. He looked so uncomfortable.

We had the pleasure of someone starting a site called 'Hotelier' and it only just disbanded end of last year. Or maybe it was this year in Jan. anyway we found such good friends coming together and we discussed Hotelier endlessly and then moved on to other dramas. I still am in touch with some of those people at the other side of the globe.

Considering the long time ago that this was made I think it is well worth watching. It had some nice scenes and the hotel was lovely. Now one of the better hotels in Seoul I think.