Devil/Mawang (KBS2, 2007)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 11th, '07, 15:01

I'm glad I stuck with it.

After working 7 days straight this week I've been feeling very tired but episodes 8 and 9 kept me WIDE AWAKE, and on the edge of my seat. Normally k-dramas leave me feeling a bit drowsy, esp. through the middle stages, but eps 8 & 9 have got to be some of the most tension packed episodes I've seen in a k-drama.

So to anyone feeling a bit discouraged after the first few episodes: Stick with it! It gets a lot better once you get to know all the characters and everything settles in. Story is excellent with a beautiful musical score to accompany it.

Can't wait to see who bites the dust next. My money on Soon Ki :cheers:

hanselel

Post by hanselel » Nov 12th, '07, 21:33

Hi,
I hope you people can help me. I was really interested in this drama so I wanted to find out more about it on the net. Unfortunately I think I have been spoiled the ending/twist of the series, while reading a character description.
Spoiler:
I read that the lawyer dude is the "tarod card killer" because the cop killed his brother.
Is that like the ending twist of the movie or is it something we find out at the beginning? If that is the ending twist, I think I'll keep the 60€ for the korean boxset...

Greetings Hanselel

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 12th, '07, 21:33

Yeah, as you go through the back 4 or 6 episodes, it's really much less about the mystery itself and more about going into the heart of evil. :D

I actually felt a little dirty by the end of the show. Like I couldn't get the grime off my eyes.

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Nov 12th, '07, 21:58

The English version I think was called Lucifer? I watched one entire episode of this, but I didn't know it was the very last episode. It was subtitled and it looked like it was supposed to be sad? Now I wanna see the beginning.

hanselel

Post by hanselel » Nov 13th, '07, 06:25

belleza wrote:Yeah, as you go through the back 4 or 6 episodes, it's really much less about the mystery itself and more about going into the heart of evil. :D

I actually felt a little dirty by the end of the show. Like I couldn't get the grime off my eyes.
So I can still enjoy the show, even with that spoiler?

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 13th, '07, 08:36

So I can still enjoy the show, even with that spoiler?
Very much so. You go in thinking it's a mystery or a conventional revenge drama; but about 60-75% of the way in, you realize that the story is really what Skakespeare-philes call a "Jacobean drama." It goes into the nature of evil with the two male leads, and because it does this from a Christian sensibility, it's just kinda . . . well, to be honest, I was more affected by this then say the Vengeance trilogy, because the ugliness of what you see here is all in the acting and writing. I thought the ending was really effective; therefore, I felt dirty watching it.

Much like Resurrection, Mawang is really Eom Tae Woong's baby. Watching this, I kept on thinking how Lee Jung Ki was born to play JJH's part. Sure, they wanted his character to be this cold, kinda creepy, yet almost angelic looking person -- and JJH meets the goals -- but what the part needed was a seething, yet adolescent (and confused) sense of entitlement. Inarticulate, adolescent "something" IS LJK to me. In any case, it's wonderful watching Eom Tae Woong do his "thang" and his journey toward the end of the show. That's really what keeps you going with Lucifer.

It's really worth watching all the way through. It becomes less about the guesswork and more about watching two men's personal hell.

JlovesVan

wonderful

Post by JlovesVan » Dec 22nd, '07, 06:51

Belleza hit the nail on the head...it is definitely two men's journey into their own personal and constructed hell. It is also about how each one takes the other on this hell journey as they experience together. It is fantastic drama! I liked it all the way through but around episode 7 it really picked up. There are 20 episodes total and I found that I didn't have to fast forward or feel bored at all with this one. It is fresh, intense and thought provoking. Loved it, must see!

coolchineseangel

Post by coolchineseangel » Dec 28th, '07, 06:42

i've heard this drama is sooo good. i've ben searching for hours on where to dl it. i can't use clubbox so i usually use bittorrent but the torrents are only available for ep 9-16. where did the torrents for ep1-8 go? srry for asking a stupid question it's just i've been searching for a couple of hours on where to dl it. i found a direct download on megaupload on soompi but megaupload takes too long. thanx again for helping! :]]

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Dec 30th, '07, 23:20

I've heard so many good things about this, but something keeps holding me back from plunging into it. I think it's Joo Ji Hoon. I admit, I had a little crush on him while I was watching Goong, but now that that's over, I can't stand him. I don't know why I ever liked him in the first place; he's too skinny. But superficial-ness aside, I am interested in what's so good about Mawang. I'll watch it sooner or later, gotta finish Resurrection first!

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 31st, '07, 04:12

What initially pulled me was the tarot card stuff (and for some reason, I was expecting to be a JJH to BE a demon . . . I mean, are humans really *that*deadpan? :D ) and the 7th level of hell college-lit quotations (a la Infernal Affairs), but judging from KBS's promo show, there was enormous amount of hype going into this show. (Resurrection reunion, popular female lead trying a comeback, superpopular teen leader . . .) Originally, Mawang and Hello Miss were expected to duke it out, and Thank You was going to be the 3rd child. I'm still surprised Mawang didn't find its audience. But the same can be said about Capital Scandal, which doesn't bode especially well for KBS's stab at fusion drama Hong Gil Dong.

Mawang is good, but I wasn't keen on the casting (as I wasn't with Time of Dog and Wolf.) You can't help but see Han Ji Min play Shin Mae's role better, and JJH's performance, while not bad, itched for the adolescent seether that Lee Jung Ki would provide. In fact, put LJK in JJH's role and you would have a KBS actor nomination.

That said, the show is good because it leaves you feeling dirty. Like you're watching a snarling, sad animal picking at its scab. It's not chilling; it's simply empty. And, at the end, the Korean-Christian habit to distill mankind's darker nature into tautological aphorisms (which is often used with Korean tearjerker dramas) seems quietly inadequate, even ashamed to express what has just happened in front of you. Only the good in man howls; evil leaves mankind in a pathetic whimper. Mawang at least completes that examination with you, and for that it is very good. Just wished the actors were different.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 31st, '07, 14:37

As belleza said, this series is about the two men's personal journey's. Therein lies the problem I have with it. I came into it expecting a 'whodunit' in the same vain as Green Rose and Resurrection (both of which are superior to Devil IMO), but it was blatantly obvious who the culprit is within the first half of Episode 1. And there you have it, no more suspense. Just many, many closeups of Joo Ji Hoon's face. Honestly, he's not even good-looking, who on earth can stare at him for hours on end? Although I must admit, he acted better than I thought he was capable of.

But it's not all a lost cause though. The subplots are actually very interesting, in fact, more interesting than the main plot itself. There are some very good episodes in the early to mid stages of the drama but it goes downhill towards the end. If you have trouble finishing Resurrection, you're gonna need the fast forward button for this one :)

wuff

Post by wuff » Dec 31st, '07, 14:49

kobe23 wrote:... Just many, many closeups of Joo Ji Hoon's face. Honestly, he's not even good-looking, who on earth can stare at him for hours on end? Although I must admit, he acted better than I thought he was capable of...:)

:D It was very funny! :) I like these kind of comments... :) You are right! I know lots of movies, in which there are only such scenes, where people "have to" watch the faces of the actors/actresses...
This little sentence made my day very happy - today, on the last day of the year! Thank you!!!

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 1st, '08, 00:33

Honestly, he's not even good-looking, who on earth can stare at him for hours on end?
One looks at his face, fearing that those once wonderful cheeks will have completely sunken in from starvation in front of one's every eyes. I thought he looked a bit scrawny (but not anymore than a typical Japanese idol, and his hair was better!) in Mawang, but poor boy looks positively malnourished at the MBC Awards. Ma'wang needs a chicken wing!

But I am disappointed Mawang got shut out from any KBS Awards. The shows it chose to shut out (Mawang, MIA, Flowers of My Life, etc.) were telling, as if KBS was almost wiping itself clean of the brave programming they had all year. The sageuks and the semi-sageuks were recognized, but otherwise they chose to recognize the melodramas and rom-coms that weren't successful either, but were not so far from KBS cutout.

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Jan 14th, '08, 08:08

hi, I was wondering if anybody knew where I could download the OP seq to this drama? I saw it on youtube and would like to have it.

Bill.Zeebub

Post by Bill.Zeebub » Jan 14th, '08, 13:33

The Devil Op: It's a vob file I just renamed it to mpg. I'm going to upload some other Op's as well when I have the bandwidth to spare. :-)

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Jan 14th, '08, 23:38

haha thanks again! Which other OPs do you have? If you haven't noticed I've been on a collecting spree :notworthy:

KuaiSky

Post by KuaiSky » Jan 17th, '08, 06:20

I really recommend "The Devil" [Korean: mawang]...it is really good and not really dark, but enjoyable. I loved it with one exception: I did not really like the 'good" guy. But I really liked the villain, hehe. (The villain is the Goong actor)

fluid_motion

Post by fluid_motion » Mar 20th, '08, 04:24

I decided to watch this drama as it had Uhm Tae Woong and I had just watched his rather remarkable performance on Resurrection. The other actors I wasn't quite so keen though.

This drama series has an extremely contrived plot which made me cringe throughout. But somehow certain elements made it feel intriguing that kept me wanting to continue watching. An utterly depressing ending though it could have been done better but it gives the story a deeper meaning. Overall its not a very satisfying drama to watch. It has a great soundtrack though.

ctfazra

Post by ctfazra » Mar 24th, '08, 12:41

KuaiSky wrote:I really recommend "The Devil" [Korean: mawang]...it is really good and not really dark, but enjoyable. I loved it with one exception: I did not really like the 'good" guy. But I really liked the villain, hehe. (The villain is the Goong actor)
really? JJH is d villain? can't wait to see that..i'm sure diz time i wish d bad one wins.. :P

bluelikesky

hey guys ! help !!!

Post by bluelikesky » Apr 19th, '08, 09:25

here i am searching for the name of the tarot deck which is used in the drama (lucifer/mawang) . can anyone tell me the name of the deck ? or give me a link about it to find it ? i will be really thankful if you help me .

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 19th, '08, 14:14

Can someone tell me what's being said at the end? I am deaf and I don't know if the timing is little off or that they said something that you guys can hear so that it doesn't appear on subtitles.

Both said something after "Forgive me and you..."

Did they say something after "you..."?

Thanks in advance.

Anyways, it's a okay series. I was prepared for a sad ending, but it was quite unexpected since I was expecting at least one of them dying. Sad ending, but at least they redeem themselves even at their last breath. I do believe everyone redeem themselves when they truly ask for forgiveness. Hopefully, they can work on it together at their next lifetime. They have a lot to make up for especially Seung Ha.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Jul 2nd, '08, 05:37

i've watched this in anticipation of the Japanese remake and thanks to that, I found one of the best drama ever made.
I even watched Resurrection after Mawang but for all the praises and comparisons, I still prefers Mawang. A really well made drama imo.

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jul 18th, '08, 04:38

Oh man I had to dl this after I heard about the Japanese remake (Maou) just so I can compare. I already watched it all on TV (as Lucifer) cuz it was right after Dal Ja's Spring - but ya know, I missed stuff cuz I would change the channel or get something to eat or get stuck in traffic and get home late. And DAMN! I missed out on a lot!! It makes a lot more sense now :lol esp. since I can rewind and all hehe.

This show is so awesome. The pace was nice, not too slow, and definitely not rushed, not even a little bit in any of the parts. You can totally appreciate the thought that went into this. I like the tie-in from the beginning and how it wrapped up in the end. I just finished watching, and I just realized the significance of the pictures that Yeong-chul took of Det. Kang: the chronology, the order, the meaning when all the pics gathered together... that was tight. 8)

Someone up there said it lacked suspense cuz the culprit was obvious from the 1st ep. when that wasn't where the suspense lay. In MaWang, it wasn't a 'whodunit' kinda thing, it was more like a umm, 'catch me if u can' kinda thing cuz yeah, it was obvious who the villain was not from the first ep, but from the very poster of the show. As the audience, you know who's behind it all, you feel it in your gut. But where's the evidence to prove that? And so we journey with Detective Kang to prove our instincts and fix our eyes to the screen as he gets closer and closer to the truth but just when you think he's got him, the evidence proves otherwise or there's not enough proof or he just missed out cuz Lady Luck just wasn't on his side that time :doh:

Now I can't wait to see how Maou has adapted this show. I know there'll be some changes, just like all the other remakes I've seen, so I just hope I can tolerate it.

ackirom

Re: hey guys ! help !!!

Post by ackirom » Jul 27th, '08, 11:30

bluelikesky wrote:here i am searching for the name of the tarot deck which is used in the drama (lucifer/mawang) . can anyone tell me the name of the deck ? or give me a link about it to find it ? i will be really thankful if you help me .
Don't know if you've already found it, or if you're still looking... but here. Those are the ones right? I remember the justice and judgment card very well. I was also looking for these... it's just too bad the site's in Japanese and I don't know how to order in there... :-( Oddly enough the buttons are in English, so I click, click, click and I see the numbers 4,200円 (~$39) and 4,410円(~$41) and 5,500円(~$51) and 5,775円($54) :blink
Silentwolfdog wrote:Can someone tell me what's being said at the end?
Oh I know what you mean... but I think whatever appeared on the subs really is all that he said... I think the timing was just off. :scratch:

Faith696

Post by Faith696 » Aug 30th, '08, 02:58

Is there anybody here know what kind of notebook did Oh Soo's older brother use in the restaurant in episode....(I forgot, sorry. But it was before soon ki died)? I have looking for it but haven't found any result.

belleza

Post by belleza » Oct 7th, '08, 06:09

Olive 9 has announced another project from the PD team of Mawang and Resurrection. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

For some reason, there's speculation of a Season 2(??!?!) of Mawang. Huh. :blink

http://www.seoulbeats.com/2008/10/drama ... the-works/

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 7th, '08, 15:02

Well that's a very strange move.

1/ Even though it did receive praise from critics and generated a cult following, it didn't rate very well. And things that don't rate well don't usually get sequels.

2/
They both died at the end, so if there's gonna be a Season 2 it would have to be a new cast.
I'm thinking there won't be a Season 2 at all but rather an entirely new project with the same writer/PD combo and probably with Uhm Tae Woong as the lead again.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Oct 10th, '08, 02:04

Ah.. now I know why people say Mawang is similiar to Rebirth but not as good. I'm on the 5th episode and so far the two dramas are so similiar it's irritating. Only in Mawang, the writing makes no effort to be subtle, some of the acting and music is so over-dramatic and borderline cheesy, and that indelible smile on Joo Ji Hoon's face annoys the heck out of me. Shin Min Ah is very cute though; I'm sure I'll like her better than I liked Han Ji Min.

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Oct 25th, '08, 00:42

kobe23
How sure are you that they died? The assumption is that they died but there's really no confirmation.
[/quote]

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 26th, '08, 15:04

morserachel wrote:kobe23
How sure are you that they died? The assumption is that they died but there's really no confirmation.
[/quote]
I guess there's no concrete evidence that they both died, but come on, how would they continue the story after the end sequence? Have them both wake up from a coma after several years? That would be ridiculous.

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Oct 26th, '08, 23:42

Nothing is impossible in K-drama.

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Oct 27th, '08, 00:33

kobe23, how about this scenario
She found them dying and called the ambulance. They were both rushed to hospital where team newheart was working on one and team bongdalhee was working on the other. The doctors found abnormal brain activity in the patients and opened up their brains to repair. For this they had to take out the brains and the brains got switched! They both woke up and realised they are in the wrong bodies!!! Thus begins Devil-season 2....

or this
Sora found out that JJH is the one who caused her mother to be imprisoned. 10 years later after harbouring al this pain and anger decided to take revenge on utw and jjh's (who both miraculously survived) family and friends and anyone remotely related to those two for causing her all those years of pain!!! Here comes season 2

On a serious note, I personally do not want a season 2 because this series leaves me uneasy. Throughout I am of the opinion that all those who kept saying they understand jjh's actions and sat back and did nothing are the real devils. He is a pyschopath for God's sake! Can anyone say they understand why Hannibal had to keep on killing?

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 27th, '08, 15:48

haha you have a good sense of humor....post more please :)

I would not want a season 2 either but another project with the same team would be great!

morserachel

Post by morserachel » Oct 28th, '08, 05:50

Umm, but minus JJH. I prefer R2D2's acting.

Tissem

Post by Tissem » Jan 8th, '09, 16:34

Silentwolfdog wrote:Can someone tell me what's being said at the end? I am deaf and I don't know if the timing is little off or that they said something that you guys can hear so that it doesn't appear on subtitles.

Both said something after "Forgive me and you..."

Did they say something after "you..."?
I don't know wether this has been answered already but I understood it as JJH's character saying "I... forgive you... and me." meaning he forgave them both at the end. Correct me if I'm wrong.

FriZa

Re: hey guys ! help !!!

Post by FriZa » Jan 19th, '09, 22:33

bluelikesky wrote:here i am searching for the name of the tarot deck which is used in the drama (lucifer/mawang) . can anyone tell me the name of the deck ? or give me a link about it to find it ? i will be really thankful if you help me .
Here they are: http://www.tarotworld.com/Content/tarot ... /index.asp
And here: http://www.stella-club.com/stellas_shop/tarotcard.php

Shinigami777

Post by Shinigami777 » Feb 18th, '09, 14:15

I was using a torrent of the batch of episode from this series, but something seems wrong with episode 4. cuz Once I downloaded it, there was sound, but no video, which makes it awfully inconvenient, and I have no idea what to do to fix it. does anyone have episode 4 just by itself as a torrent to download?

FriZa

Post by FriZa » Mar 25th, '09, 20:25

Try to reinstall your codec pack

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Sep 25th, '11, 22:33

I'm on episode 13 of this. Took a while to get into but I am really enjoying it now. Uhm Tae Woong is as great as always and is well paired with Shin Min Ah. My only complaint would be the guy who plays the lawyer, he is so uncharismatic, instead of all the fancy manipulation, he could just bore people to death instead.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 25th, '11, 23:03

It was the character's problem, I think. He was a wuss of a bad guy. I think if the character had been written more evil-looking, the actor could possibly pull it off rather well and all.
He is good, but yes. Lacking a bit to really give such a role what it would deserve. It's a combo of lack of charisma and writing. Good actor, but his "feel" is somehow not strong.

He didn't chill my blood and I would have liked to feel that chill. Although it got so horrible by the end (the series) that I didn't really care anymore. Ahaha.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 25th, '11, 23:48

Orion1986 wrote:Although it got so horrible by the end (the series) that I didn't really care anymore. Ahaha.
Care to disagree. :whistling:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 26th, '11, 07:26

I know you do, love. Many do, I'm sure. But it set me up for something smarter and without holes and it wasn't. For me, at least. ^^

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Sep 28th, '11, 21:33

I did enjoy this thought it was well acted, except for the obvious exception,built well and had some interestingly multi-layered characters but it did irritate me a bit that after building up the relationship between O Su and Hae In, they suddenly paired her off with cardboard-cut-out-man in episode 18 and also that they tried to make out that he wasn't such a bad guy after all (cop out). All in all though, well worth a watch.