Park Min Young

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
kobe23

Park Min Young

Post by kobe23 » Sep 27th, '07, 14:52

[Image

Name: Park Min Young (박민영)
Birthdate: March, 4 1986
Bloodtype: O
Constellation: 물고기자리 (Fish Place)
Height: 5"4 / 164 cm
Weight: 41kg

2007 - [KBS] 아이 엠 셈 (I am Sam)
2006 - [MBC] 거침없이 하이킥 (Unstoppable Highkick)

Image Image Image Image ImageImage

cr: soompi, ilsses, various naver blogs

--

Anyone think she looks a bit like Kim Eugene? Only slightly prettier?

I'm not sure if Park Min Young is a good actress or not since I haven't seen either of her series she's been in, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she's the next Song Hye Kyo. Ok, maybe not. But she's cute, and deserves more attention than she currently receives.

bean

Post by bean » Oct 12th, '07, 08:37

Didnt realy noe who is this gurl. :lol

But she is quite pretty. I oni agree she is prettier den Eugene IF her face not that cubby. Her face look chubby for me.
Btw, i think there is a lot of korea actress prettier den her. Dats just my personal opinion 4 example, SHK, KTH, Nang sam mi, Kim ha-heul, Jeong ji hyun. :-)

I owez feel that korean actress is prettier if compare with HK actress. HK is hong kong.
Just my personal opinion , no offense.
edit - erm, i think she saw her act b4 but 4get whcih drama..
Last edited by bean on Oct 14th, '07, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 13th, '07, 14:16

How is her face chubby? It's just baby fat. That's a good thing! :)

I agree there are plenty of prettier Korean actresses than her, like the ones you mentioned (except Kim Ha-Neul), but she's a new face, and a fresh face is always welcome esp. when you get a bit bored of the old ones.

And I also agree Korean actresses are prettier than HK actresses. I watched HK movies for a year before getting into k-dramas and there wasn't anyone who appealed to me. Except for maybe Gillian Chung, but she's just cute at best.

bean

Post by bean » Oct 14th, '07, 06:38

Ya, i agree with u too :lol . Maybe she look good with the baby fat. But personally i like gurls face which is not chubby.

i have watch plenty of k-drama but i never notie this girl b4. But based on her look , i guess she will able to success because at least she is prettier that Im So-jung which is very talented and Han chae yong which i cant find any talent or look in her :glare: (dono y she famous) !

Yeah, i like Gillian but her new movie Naraka 19 really dissapointed me. The movie sucks.

elden41

Post by elden41 » Oct 14th, '07, 06:46

LOL. The next SHK? Probably not, but everyone has their own opinion.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Oct 18th, '07, 02:34

I can see why you think she looks like Eugene. Especially in the 2nd picture. Maybe it's the large-ish forehead?

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 18th, '07, 13:29

Do you mean the 2nd picture from the thumbnails or the 2nd one including the main pic? (This one I'm posting now)

Park Min Young

Kim Eugene

zhortz

Post by zhortz » Oct 18th, '07, 21:05

i <3 her in I am Sam

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Oct 19th, '07, 21:47

kobe23 wrote:Do you mean the 2nd picture from the thumbnails or the 2nd one including the main pic? (This one I'm posting now)
I meant second thumbnail.

bean

Post by bean » Oct 21st, '07, 16:17

Lol, i find the of CF Park Min young . With leejunki :lol .

But i still think that her face is chubby. Overal, she is so cute......... Here is some pic
Gosh, i nvr noe that girl is she. until i c tis topic......

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 22nd, '07, 14:08

very cute indeed ^^

as for the "chubby face", enjoy it while it lasts because they seem to lose the baby fat when they're around 25, and we all know what that did to Song Hye Kyo :cry:

bean

Post by bean » Oct 22nd, '07, 14:48

kobe23 wrote:very cute indeed ^^

as for the "chubby face", enjoy it while it lasts because they seem to lose the baby fat when they're around 25, and we all know what that did to Song Hye Kyo :cry:
Hhaha, i notice what happen to SHK. But she still very pretty. I like her..

hehrharz

Post by hehrharz » Oct 28th, '07, 08:48

She is kinda cute ^_^

incube

Post by incube » Nov 7th, '07, 18:35

Park Min Young :wub:
-----------------------------
Isnt she just adorable ?

pist

Post by pist » Nov 16th, '07, 13:07

shes heaps cuteeee :wub: :wub:
i dunno why everyone keeps comparing people

THEY'RE ALL CUTE/ HOT

pist

Post by pist » Nov 22nd, '07, 16:47

a googled pic

sorrrrrrry my subbing is taking sooo long for who ever cares i been sooo busy exam,party,exam,party,laundry,party

IT NEVA ENDS
Attachments
parkminyoungda7.jpg
parkminyoungda7.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 11297 times

ooppa

Post by ooppa » Dec 2nd, '07, 14:37

very very cute.

eyepop

Post by eyepop » Dec 7th, '07, 17:39

Saw her in 'I am Sam'/'I am your Teacher' and her acting is quite good. Very natural. Cute facial expressions and an adorable laugh.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 9th, '07, 13:43

Wow, you guys registered just to make a comment about her? Just goes to show the power of Park Min Young eh? :)

Well, here are some more PMY pix for your troubles :wink:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I still haven't gotten around to watching I am Sam yet, but from the glimpses I've seen so far, her acting isn't bad at all. I still maintain she's gonna be the next Song Hye Kyo, all she needs is to be the lead in a 30%+ rating drama and she's there. Cake :)

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 11th, '07, 02:00

I still maintain she's gonna be the next Song Hye Kyo, all she needs is to be the lead in a 30%+ rating drama and she's there
Ain't no'thang. Dress her as a boy, give her leukemia, and make her the prince(ss) of Korea, Jumunna. Wow I just think I wrote the top show of 2008!

I think my pick for next SHK would be Han Hyo Joo. She has similar "innocent/natural beauty" status (just got a Best Dressed award from all her carpet appearances), and her popularity's skyrocketed since the success of By Land and Sky.

My pick for next JJH would be Moon Geun Young. Even though she's just 20, she is already one of the top draws in the movie market playing, erm, sassy (but innocent!) female leads.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 11th, '07, 13:05

Han Hyo Joo I'm not familiar with so I can't comment, but Moon Geun Young as the next JJH??! You can't be too serious. Much of JJH's appeal lies in her looks - an area where MGY is severely lacking. I mean she's moderately talented, but she needs a bit more than that to overcome her deficiency in the aesthetics department :)

As for SHK...well, those are big shoes to fill. She might not be a big box office draw card, nor is she renowned for her acting ability, but she is immensely popular in the Non-Korean Asian market such as China and VIetnam. I think Park Min Young has what it takes to carry on the SHK-baton. I would even put money on it :D

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 11th, '07, 14:20

She resembles Park Shin Hye, don't you think? When I saw an episode of IAS, she kinda reminded me of an older Shin Hye.
but Moon Geun Young as the next JJH??! You can't be too serious. Much of JJH's appeal lies in her looks - an area where MGY is severely lacking. I mean she's moderately talented, but she needs a bit more than that to overcome her deficiency in the aesthetics department
Hmm, you got a point. JJH is so desired by Chinese men that they're trying to claim her ancestry. I do like Moon Young though and am really looking forward to her big league debut next year.

I think what's going to prevent the next SHK from happening is if this recent fashion shift toward 80s-style ajuhmma hair pans out. Over the next year, we may be seeing a lot of actresses having big hair with massive curls, and probably bright makeup to match. Yay.

bean

Post by bean » Dec 14th, '07, 05:52

Lol, i didnt think Moon Geun Young is the next JJH.. Jjh is way elegent and talented den her..

N oni by looking on look i noe MGY isnt the next jeon ji hyun... at least for me its impossible.. I dun find she pretty at all.. There are many pretty actress in korea..

Juz my personal opinion.

kobe23

Re: Park Min Young

Post by kobe23 » Dec 28th, '07, 11:50

kobe23 wrote:Anyone think she looks a bit like Kim Eugene? Only slightly prettier?.
Yes, I like to talk to myself.

I was checking out krfilm.net and to my surprise, there's a thread about how Park Min Young and Kim Eugene lookalike.

The responses seem to indicate they do indeed lookalike (see? I'm not the only one!), and that Eugene is naturally prettier. Hard to argue with that I guess, as Eugene looks mighty fine in this picture here:

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jan 2nd, '08, 03:09

"Uhmunah!" Park Min Young's been plagued by the Tell Me virus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB5ZnId35Kw

She looks really cute though.

(Sorry if some of the pictures are too big, but I like big pictures)
Credit: soompi

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 2nd, '08, 13:07

Looks like she's not just a pretty face then :)

Big juicy pix are always nice, but probably serve better as thumbs. Not that it bothers me the slightest bit, but some people are.

But even bigger news than her Tell Me performance is that she won the Best New Actress at the KBS awards for her role in I am Sam.

Now that's one major step in becoming the next Song Hye Kyo who incidentally also won Best Newcomer at the SBS TV awards back in 1998 for Soon Poong Clinic.

Grats Park Min Young :)

eyepop

Post by eyepop » Jan 2nd, '08, 17:34

Yes she won best new actress for I am sam on KBS, but she also won on MBC for best new actress-comedy for her performance on high kick. What a great way to start the year. I love those big photos too. Please keep them coming.

nizchte

Post by nizchte » Jan 14th, '08, 17:39

finished "I am Sam" few months ago and her pretty face keeps haunting my sub conscious mind.. ^_^

the first time i saw her.. she'll gonna be a star..

Hope you'll have more projects this year..

God Bless!

bean

Post by bean » Jan 15th, '08, 15:46

Wah, she really look like eugene in some of the pic... Erm, she is pretty but still quite chubby.. hehe.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 16th, '08, 12:59

No more chubby comments plz :)

I wonder what netizens in Korea think of her? I hope they don't think she's chubby as well, or else she'll end up being forced into becoming a Bulimic.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 16th, '08, 13:01

As a side note, SHK was often viewed as chubby pretty much her entire life. It's almost like every TV show, she had to go on a crash diet to look "slender" for Korean standards. I think Park Shin Hye went through that phase too.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 16th, '08, 14:04

Park Shin Hye still looks kinda chubby now though, but she's still young and will probably lose that soon enough.

But I dunno, I kinda like that "chubby" look. Keep in mind that I personally don't see them as chubby, but as you said, many Koreans and Asians in general are too used to the skinny/slender/anorexic look, and anything else they will scream "OMG She's FAT!!11".

I guess it's all about how people perceive things, as I would never consider PMY as chubby, but Bean here thinks she is :glare:

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 17th, '08, 06:37

But I dunno, I kinda like that "chubby" look. Keep in mind that I personally don't see them as chubby, but as you said, many Koreans and Asians in general are too used to the skinny/slender/anorexic look, and anything else they will scream "OMG She's FAT!!11".
Yeah, that's s more of a "Chinese" (i.e. rounder, softer, large eyes, etc.) look. My mum and I talked about that before when we were watching the MBC and KBS Awards; she and my dad think Han Hye Jin, Ha Ji Won, and yes Park Ming Young were truly beautiful. They tend to have rounder, fuller faces (and they're quite proud of their foreheads!)

Whereas they felt the majority of the other actresses, while very pretty, tend to look the same (narrow face, high nose, V-line, double eyelids, bangs, etc.) Nobody in my family thinks BOA is pretty, even though she has one of the best noses and V-lines in the biz.

bean

Post by bean » Jan 17th, '08, 08:07

Erm, i will prefer girl look like Kim Tae-hee which i admire so much...(double eyelid, sharp nose)

I didnt mean to mention PMY chubby again but when i look at her pic and oso eugene i just couldnt help myself to wrote smtg like dat. Sorry because in all my post i wrote like dat. I really didnt mean it..N ya, they do look like each other in some picture.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 18th, '08, 11:46

I don't think BoA is pretty either. She's a good artist and performer, but her look just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

And bean, I was only joking about ceasing the chubby comments, you can say it as much as you like. :)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 5th, '08, 13:13

Park Min Young KFC GrillMax Burger CF

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NVOX8L6Z

Credit to coolsmurf domain.

fft

Hi

Post by fft » Apr 20th, '08, 00:12

I don't know if there has been any mention of Park Min Young and the topic of surgery. But how you do feel about it? Read more about it here,

http://coolsmurf.wordpress.com/2007/09/ ... r-plastic/

“Unstoppable High Kick” actress Park Min Young is another classic representation of stars who have gone for plastic. Park Min Young debut saw her charismatic and bubbly appearance winning her immense popularity in a short period of time. But thereafter, the internet started getting flooded with photos of her when she was in high school. That incident created lots of anti-fans for her. But she didn’t take that to heart and took on her next role in, “I Am Sam” and have since look set for future stardom.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Hi

Post by WroW » Apr 20th, '08, 00:31

fft wrote:I don't know if there has been any mention of Park Min Young and the topic of surgery. But how you do feel about it? Read more about it here,

“Unstoppable High Kick” actress Park Min Young is another classic representation of stars who have gone for plastic. Park Min Young debut saw her charismatic and bubbly appearance winning her immense popularity in a short period of time. But thereafter, the internet started getting flooded with photos of her when she was in high school. That incident created lots of anti-fans for her. But she didn’t take that to heart and took on her next role in, “I Am Sam” and have since look set for future stardom.
If that first picture really is real... my respect to the Korean plastic surgeons. That looks more like magic to me. I have never seen those overpaid American surgeons to even get nearly that kind of result :roll

fft

Yeah

Post by fft » Apr 20th, '08, 00:48

I am still not sure if that comparison picture is 100% real but it does seem like both characters have the same exact nose... I'm still curious if that's really her back in the days but she looks amazing now.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Yeah

Post by WroW » Apr 20th, '08, 00:53

fft wrote:I am still not sure if that comparison picture is 100% real but it does seem like both characters have the same exact nose... I'm still curious if that's really her back in the days but she looks amazing now.
I still remember while watching I'm Sam, I thought that nose is way to perfect to be real so maybe I was right (and a lot of other stuff besides her eyes could be made to..especially her chin). Well the girl in the before picture also has a mole like her on the cheek. But how did they change the face form so much :unsure: do we have any cosmetic surgeon here :mrgreen:
After seeing that picture my first reaction was that I have to ask her for her surgeon :mrgreen:

BTW I am not critizicing her for possibly having surgery...it's just that I'm amazed by the possible result!!!

fft

her nose

Post by fft » Apr 20th, '08, 01:08

Well, honestly, I think most people wouldn't say her nose is perfect. I actually it's a little larger than what I'm used to seeing on these skinny Korean actress, BUT, it actually suits her well. It actually goes well with smile.

Yeah I agree with you Wrow, good surgeon! I also thought she might have had her lips done as well, but they look the same, which is good. I'm glad she kept the same nose too. LOL.

4everU

Post by 4everU » Apr 20th, '08, 04:20

belleza wrote:
I still maintain she's gonna be the next Song Hye Kyo, all she needs is to be the lead in a 30%+ rating drama and she's there
Ain't no'thang. Dress her as a boy, give her leukemia, and make her the prince(ss) of Korea, Jumunna. Wow I just think I wrote the top show of 2008!

I think my pick for next SHK would be Han Hyo Joo. She has similar "innocent/natural beauty" status (just got a Best Dressed award from all her carpet appearances), and her popularity's skyrocketed since the success of By Land and Sky.

My pick for next JJH would be Moon Geun Young. Even though she's just 20, she is already one of the top draws in the movie market playing, erm, sassy (but innocent!) female leads.

I think I acutally agree with you about Han Hyo Joo..I really liked her in Spring Waltz and yes i think she has that innocence and natural bueaty, you can tell by her pick when she was young

4everU

Post by 4everU » Apr 20th, '08, 04:31

belleza wrote:As a side note, SHK was often viewed as chubby pretty much her entire life. It's almost like every TV show, she had to go on a crash diet to look "slender" for Korean standards. I think Park Shin Hye went through that phase too.
i personally think it is so stupid how many say that some actresses are chubby...that's just bull. I think they are really cute when they look like that. They don't need damb media tellign them how to look, if they want to lose some more weight let them..However to me it just makes them look less natural and more materialist. If they are precieved as chubby then I am freakin FAT AS HELL! The FATTEST CHICK EVER....I like the supposed chubbyness, at least those stars don't look like they are dying of anorexia or have a eating problem. It's just my opinion.....

ap0stat3

Re: Park Min Young

Post by ap0stat3 » Apr 20th, '08, 06:23

kobe23 wrote:
Anyone think she looks a bit like Kim Eugene? Only slightly prettier?

I'm not sure if Park Min Young is a good actress or not since I haven't seen either of her series she's been in, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she's the next Song Hye Kyo. Ok, maybe not. But she's cute, and deserves more attention than she currently receives.
she kinda look like the younger version of Yoon Ji Min from Korea Secret Agency

Yoon Ji Min

Park Min Young

But gotta admit she is a cutey.. :heart: :-) :heart:

She's totally adorable in I am Sam :wub:

kobe23

Re: Hi

Post by kobe23 » Apr 21st, '08, 15:20

fft wrote:I don't know if there has been any mention of Park Min Young and the topic of surgery. But how you do feel about it? Read more about it here,

There's no way that could possibly be her. She would've had to undergo an entire face graft for such a radical change. She did however, seem to have double eyelid surgery done as is evident in those pictures. But that's really not a big deal. If you need to do some minor tweaks here and there to enhance your appearance then why not? Everyone does it in one way or another, whether it be fixing their hair up or doing their make-up, or wearing nice clothes. After all, no one is really truly beautiful, but we all try to create the illusion that we are. And if that illusion is someone as beautiful as Park Min Young, then you won't hear me complaining :)

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Apr 21st, '08, 15:41

Well usually those high school pics are real and somehow they appear for all the actors. I tell you I would be afraid of those korean "terror" netizens if I were a star :mrgreen: ...usually nothing against surgery but I hate it in Korea because everyone is starting to look the same. Just look at those not so successful young wannabe actresses (I don't mean PMY), they really all have the same face features.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 21st, '08, 15:43

Anyway, here are some really nice pictures of PMY taken from coolsmurf.
(Click on thumbs for larger image)

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

And here's the video from Sidus HQ Beijing.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9QYC79H9

Once again, thanks to coolsmurf for the pix and videos, and just in case you guys haven't checked it out yet, http://coolsmurf.wordpress.com/ is a fantastic blog about Korean entertainment specializing in Park Min Young!

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 21st, '08, 15:48

WroW wrote:Well usually those high school pics are real and somehow they appear for all the actors. I tell you I would be afraid of those korean "terror" netizens if I were a star :mrgreen: ...usually nothing against surgery but I hate it in Korea because everyone is starting to look the same. Just look at those not so successful young wannabe actresses (I don't mean PMY), they really all have the same face features.
A lot of those high school pix of other stars at least resembles them in their current form :) But with PMY's one, it doesn't look anything like her. But who knows though, it might just be a horrible photo of her, and I'm sure we've all had one of those before :crazy:

ooppa

Post by ooppa » May 6th, '08, 06:27

kobe23 wrote:
WroW wrote:Well usually those high school pics are real and somehow they appear for all the actors. I tell you I would be afraid of those korean "terror" netizens if I were a star :mrgreen: ...usually nothing against surgery but I hate it in Korea because everyone is starting to look the same. Just look at those not so successful young wannabe actresses (I don't mean PMY), they really all have the same face features.
A lot of those high school pix of other stars at least resembles them in their current form :) But with PMY's one, it doesn't look anything like her. But who knows though, it might just be a horrible photo of her, and I'm sure we've all had one of those before :crazy:
I'm still love her.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 5th, '08, 21:16

Note to Kobe:

KBS will be running a 8-episode HORROR (with romance! gotta have romance in K-drama!) anthology. Not sure if anybody is subtitling this, but I think you'll be interested in this series. (And, well, do people really need subtitles for horror?!?)

Park Min Young will be the star of the first episode, which will run this Wednesday. Apparently, she plays Naruto . . .

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hometown_Legends#Episode_1

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Aug 5th, '08, 23:47

I wasn't planning on watching this until I found out it's gonna be a horror drama. Should be interesting.

Check out PMY as the nine-tailed fox:

credit: coolsmurf
I definitely won't be watching these eppies by myself... :pale:

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 6th, '08, 09:48

I'll probably catch this when it comes to KBS World. After this anthology, Kingdom of the Wind will debut.

BTW, here is the original video about PMY's (and Go Ah Ra's) transformation and general career paths.

They even use some music from 200lbs Beauty. Now that's just cold! :lol :lol

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 7th, '08, 10:13

And here are some (non-scary) caps of Park Min Young from last night's episode: (Click for bigger pix!)

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Credit goes to ilsses

I'm really looking forward to watching this whole series (not just the PMY ep!), and really hope someone would be kind enough to sub it. There's also a possibility that Mr. X might be reviewing this, so keep your eyes peeled over at Twitch!

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 8th, '08, 10:29

X's review of Episode 1 is up:

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/sageuk- ... ends-ep-1/

A very positive review with a lot of praise for our Park Min Young :)
But the new Gumiho, played by the lovely Park Min-Young of 거침없이 하이킥 (Unstoppable High Kick), has no wig, no corny masks or awkward make-up. Just KBS’ predictably top notch CG, including all those nine cute tails. There are certainly a few awkward spots, and you can’t compare this to a movie production (particularly because of time constraints), but the results are satisfactory. What Park Min-Young’s Gumiho represents, instead, is the most humane, the sexiest and most feminine fox with nine tails of them all. Maybe sexy is not even the right word, although young Park is certainly very pleasing to the eyes. It’s that air of maturity, turning from innocent young woman to a femme fatale ready to kill those who wronged her. Park looks a lot more confident in her delivery than she’s ever looked before, with the kind of maturity her past work was probably hiding. She’s one to look out for in the future, for sure.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 8th, '08, 19:24

Review's kinda eye rolling (also the Asian ghost story itself fits easily into the censors of normal TV when it's done well), but I'm definitely looking forward to the new series nonetheless.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 11th, '08, 03:31

Huh. Apparently, Park Min Young went to high school in Pennsylvania. Her English name was Rachel.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 11th, '08, 13:58

What?! I know her English name is Rachel (she apparently uses that name in her cyworld), but had no idea she went to high school in Pennsylvania. Do you know how many years she lived in the US? Because I saw a clip of her speaking English in High Kick, and whilst her accent wasn't bad or anything, it's not exactly something to write home about.

Rachel suits her though. She looks like a Rachel :)

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 11th, '08, 16:31

She attended middle school in Korea, and then she (with her older sister) came here when she was 13. (Wording seems interesting. That might imply that her entire family didn't come here, meaning she might have lived with only her sister or relatives. Maybe older sister went to Penn State or U-Penn? And is Park Min Young a Steelers fan?!?)

She wanted to become an actress, so she returned to Korea at 17, and attended university, majoring in acting. Rachel Park? Yup, that's a solid Korean American name. :D

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 12th, '08, 12:33

So how did you find out all this information about her? Are you having a crush on her too? j/k :wink:

Yeah Rachel Park sounds really.......safe. Not too flashy and not the type of name people will tease you about. I've always wondered why Korean stars don't anglicize their names like the way Hong Kong stars do? It sounds so much better and is easier to recognize by not only Western audiences but Asians too. I mean, are Americans gonna remember a name like Lee Byung-Hun even if he proves to be a great actor in Hollywood films?

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 13th, '08, 00:08

So how did you find out all this information about her? Are you having a crush on her too? j/k
I think I have a soft spot for any Korean actor who came from the States (or the West), because it reminds me of high school, which was located in kind of a Korean enclave. Many of my friends were from Korea, and quite a few K-pop future idols were classmates. For example, when I heard Park Min Young's English, I immediately thought she attended school here in either late junior high or freshman year in high school.

Also I respect that PMY took a very difficult route to make it. She would have to work twice as hard as everybody else in high school (and she probably struggled to get into a decent high school, given that she probably didn't take standard exams) to get into a decent university. Also, she would have lived long enough in the States to feel somewhat removed, especially with boys, from her classmates. Jun Ryeo Won talked about feeling that way when she joined Chakra. Eric's even like that too; there's a matter-of-fact swagger that quietly but firmly reflects his American upbringing.
I've always wondered why Korean stars don't anglicize their names like the way Hong Kong stars do?
But, that's where Taiwanese/HK/Mainland culture is kind of an exception in Asia, albeit a very large exception. If you pick up that a Korean actor has an English name, that actor could be Catholic or have spent some of their life in the States. Otherwise unlikely they'll adopt a Western name to accommodate. Also, from my experience, even if they have an American name, they'll usually sign with their original name.

So, yeah, that's how Hallyu really differs from the HK Wave. Taiwan and HK tends to be much more casual about Western acculturation, and if you're of that descent, it may initially confuse you how Koreans are about it. Especially since they do such a wonderful job adopting elements of our pop culture. In effect, we'll sell you as much as Our Brand as you want, and we'll make it really accessible. But it's still Our Brand. If you're buying a Samsung, you're buying Our Brand. If you're watching Sam Soon, you're watching Our Brand. If you like that actress from I Am Sam, you're crushing on Our Brand. (And yeah, even my dad thought she was pretty. I didn't have the heart to tell him that her face was literally "Made in Korea." :D )

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 16th, '08, 14:20

Recent Park Min Young on a variety show. Does anyone know what this show is called?

ImageImage
ImageImage

I can't wait for her next drama. One episode in Hometown legends is not enough to satisfy my insatiable PMY desire!

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 20th, '08, 13:16

Found out from Coolsmurf's blog that the show is called "Ya Shim Man Man". It's from season 2 episode 8 which aired a few days ago with guests: Park Min Young, Son Dam Bi and Lee Han Wie.

Here are the screencaps from the episode:
If anyone wants it, send me a PM and I will give you the MU links.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 3rd, '08, 15:29

Park Min Young's new drama!

Princess Ja Myung Go 왕녀 자명고, [SBS] Jung Ryeo Won, Park Min Young

Debuts Feb 2009.
50-episode period drama.

Director : Lee Myung Woo 이명우 (Bad Couple)
Scriptwriter : Jung Sung Hee 정성희
Cast : Jung Ryeo Won 정려원, Park Min Young 박민영
Official site :

They act as sisters.

Credit Soompi, more details [Coolsmurf]

ImageImage

Two of my favorite actresses together in one drama. For 50 episodes!! If that is not a taste of heaven then I don't know what is.

I have never seen a k-drama that's longer than 24 episodes before, and never really intended to unless the situation calls for it, and this one certainly does.

Hmm...is there something wrong with me when I'm more excited about this drama than Song Hye Kyo's upcoming 'World's Within'?

Edit: Just read at the end of coolsmurf's article that neither PMY or JRW have confirmed their participation with the production.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 9th, '11, 12:16

Omo omo no new posts since ages ? I really liked her in sungkyunkwan skandal she did a great job and who won't with all the gorgeous men :wub:
Here some photos , first I thoughtt she was quiet cute but now ...amazing photos
How beautiful ...
And this is my fav
:O

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Jan 9th, '11, 12:28

i love this girl :D

saw her in more than one drama and loved her in everyone except in Princess Ja Myung Go (because she was the evil sister :glare: )

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 9th, '11, 14:27

The Chaos wrote:i love this girl :D

saw her in more than one drama and loved her in everyone except in Princess Ja Myung Go (because she was the evil sister :glare: )
So any recommendation ? please :cheers:

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Jan 9th, '11, 14:32

she don't have many dramas but what I've seen for her :

Sungkyunkwan Scandal
Ja Myung Go
I'm Sam
Unstoppable High Kick

best one in bold :D

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 9th, '11, 14:45

Haha yeah she was gooooood in SKKS ...thanks for the list ! (k)

mimi2601

Post by mimi2601 » Dec 5th, '11, 07:12

Image[/img]

mimi2601

Post by mimi2601 » Dec 5th, '11, 07:19

saved

Post by saved » Dec 5th, '11, 10:24

@mimi2601

Thanks for the post. I really love SKKS. Hoping for SKKS2.

tin3094

Post by tin3094 » Dec 5th, '11, 10:35

Really like Park Min Young ever since SKKS, she was so good there! Min Young fighting... :D

saved

Post by saved » Dec 5th, '11, 10:35

Image[/url]

tin3094

Post by tin3094 » Dec 5th, '11, 10:42

mimi2601

Post by mimi2601 » Dec 5th, '11, 11:21

Park Min Young as Jae In with Lee Jang Woo as In Woo

Park Min Young as Jae In with Chun Jung Myung as Young Gwang

Cre: MOH FB

Hello tin3094 n saved,

Good to see you here! Let's spread the PMY love :wub: :cheers: