Which Kdramas are Underrated?

Discuss Korean drama series here.
insanelysane

Post by insanelysane » Apr 9th, '08, 06:50

definitely Soulmate FTW. It's totally underrated, i don't think many people have heard about this drama, which is really sad. Lovable characters with cute chemistry, beautiful soundtracks, consistently sharp direction and execution as well as a refreshing storyline without it being too draggy or too sappy. Thumbs up to the makers of it. It's the first Kdrama series I've watched in so long which is worth downloading for. =D

dianneong

Post by dianneong » Apr 9th, '08, 15:56

i think 3 leaf clover is underrated

nysophia

Post by nysophia » Apr 10th, '08, 23:23

18 vs. 29! such a cute drama. doesn't get enough credit

and Ballad of Seo Dong it's sooooo good!

Shindo Hikaru

Post by Shindo Hikaru » Apr 11th, '08, 06:42

New Heart. i saw a few episodes and it's mind blowing, comedic and intense drama. i love it :thumright:

loveless_soul

Post by loveless_soul » Apr 11th, '08, 06:54

Shindo Hikaru wrote:New Heart. i saw a few episodes and it's mind blowing, comedic and intense drama. i love it :thumright:
I don't think this is an underrated drama? Lol. A lot of people are watching it and it's pretty popular =P

A lot of people have said this before but Soulmate is definitely underrated. Sadly I was one of those people that didn't know about this series until my friend told me about it and said I should watch it and so I started watching it and it was amazing.
I'm sad to hear there won't be a season 2 b/c of low rating =( people in Korea are not the only people watching it :whistling: I really really hope there will be season 2.

mjf

Post by mjf » Apr 11th, '08, 14:07

Soulmate
9 Ends 2 Out
Thank you

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 11th, '08, 14:57

Soulmate has had such an overwhelming number of votes as the most underrated drama to the point that it's not really underrated anymore :P

But yeah, it really did lack recognition which is a huge shame since it's easily one of the best, if not the best drama since 2006.

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 11th, '08, 17:52

Soulmate has had such an overwhelming number of votes as the most underrated drama to the point that it's not really underrated anymore
That actually made me want to watch the show though. Same with "9 Ends and 2 Outs"; I wasn't sure about that one, but a lot of people recommended that one too. The underrated section is good with the recommended thread. It's easier to pick up what people want other people to watch, already given the standard shows. (i.e. MyGoongHousePrince is popular and recommended, but not underrated.)

ReSoAdhoc

Re: I

Post by ReSoAdhoc » Apr 12th, '08, 23:31

Hanjae wrote:There are many dramas mainly focused on the comedy side that's popular AND subbed these days, from what I can remember. Hong Gil Dong is hardly underrated, particularly by the netizen community. Romance/comedies like Coffee Prince/Dal Ja's Spring/Hello! Miss/Witch Yoo Hee aren't underrated either. I'd probably slot the first and last two in the overrated category, actually.
The first K-drama I watched was Witch Yoo Hee. I thought it was funny and the lead actress was seriously hot. Since then I have watched about 6 series from biggining to end. Around the same time as Witch Yoo Hee I saw the first episode of the show Me Ri, Dae Gu's Attack and Defense Battle, which was dropped by D-fansubs. I finished watching Me Ri... on the local Korean channel here in Los Angeles.

Now I'm alble to understand basic korean and are able to watch and understand without subs. The shows that are funny and not being subbed right are: why did you come to my house and last scandal.

I noticed a basic patter with Korean "funny" dramas. They start out funny. Then around the middle of the show they take a turn for the serious. Then they usually end up with a retarded ending. Hong Gil Dong started funny but ended serious. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I give up. I have way too many complains about dramas. This requires too much thinking on my pasrt. Essentially I want to watch more subbed shows like evasive inquiry egency. Shows that are funny,without too much emotional depth and with hot lead actresses. If any one has any specific questions i can be reached at Mailboxecho@hotmail.com.

Regarding Hon Gil Dong:
1. Did the bigginging happen some where in the middle and I just didn't notice it?
2. Gil Dong was based on a book right? Did Romi go on to do something great?
3. Even though the part where the chick stabs Gil Dong was cool. The end was a total bummer.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: I

Post by Hanjae » Apr 13th, '08, 13:39

ReSoAdhoc wrote:Now I'm alble to understand basic korean and are able to watch and understand without subs. The shows that are funny and not being subbed right are: why did you come to my house and last scandal.

I noticed a basic patter with Korean "funny" dramas. They start out funny. Then around the middle of the show they take a turn for the serious. Then they usually end up with a retarded ending. Hong Gil Dong started funny but ended serious. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I give up. I have way too many complains about dramas. This requires too much thinking on my pasrt. Essentially I want to watch more subbed shows like evasive inquiry egency. Shows that are funny,without too much emotional depth and with hot lead actresses.
Ah, now I see what you mean about underrated. Why Did You Come To My House and Last Scandal definitely fits under that category (at least in the overseas community; Last Scandal is actually getting fairly decent ratings in Korea). I haven't heard much about the first one, but I've been hearing good reports about the latter. Choi Jin Shil is a great actress, so I'm not surprised.

There's another seriously underrated romantic comedy that doesn't fall under that pattern of turning dramatic and serious around the middle and collapsing at the end: 9 End 2 Outs. A lot of people have mentioned it in this thread already, but it can't hurt to mention it again, hah. It's brilliant, angst-free, and the two main leads have great chemistry. Up to you whether you find Soo Ae hot, though. I don't swing that way :lol Have you tried Rude Woman as well? That's another fun comedy that went under the radar with overseas fans.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 24th, '08, 12:31

Hong Gil Dong. Seriously. The series rating never touched 20%; for most it hung around 15%. Worse, it lost out to newer series like New Heart and On Air. I found HGD absolutely fun. The pace was fantastic; the cliffhangers were real. I finished the whole series in 2 days one night. One main reason for the low ratings could be Sung Yuri. I was put off when I first heard she was selected as female lead. But this time, she outdid her previous works by far. Must watch.

alchocoholic80

Post by alchocoholic80 » Apr 24th, '08, 21:08

Wow, seeing so many ppl posting about soulmate makes me wanna watch it. Heard the ending kinda sucked tho?

I think flowers for my life is way underrated! It's one of the best I've seen! Dal ja, que sera sera and hong gil dong also deserve more recognition than they got.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 25th, '08, 16:06

The ending in Soulmate didn't suck, it was just a bit inconclusive. It's the most underrated drama here at d-addicts, and if you're a k-drama fan, its something you don't wanna miss.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 26th, '08, 09:42

The most underrated drama of 2007 was definitely Evasive Inquiry Agency/Mixed-up Investigative Agency.

Best thought-out plot in any Korean drama I've ever seen, and about the only Korean drama that continuously gets better instead of worse with every episode. Also, most real and loveable characters ever.

My favourite Kdrama of all time is still Soulmate, but EIA comes right after as my second-favourite.

Kallista

Post by Kallista » Apr 26th, '08, 09:57

>>> 9 END 2 OUTS is one of my most favourite dramas, and few people seems to know and appreciate it. But I wouldn't say it's angst-free. Let's say they don't understand too much their own feelings, but the viewers do, so we can "feel" the angst (super-macaroni-english mode on) :P :wub: In fact the final episode...

>>> 18 VS 29 was too cute too, I thank the people who voted it as Kdrama series of the months polls. More than under-rated I think it's (or better, it was -? - ) unknown. I didn't appreciate the ending very much, i mean, the final resolution couldn't be different (and it's really cute :wub: ) , but it was too fastly showed, in my opinion.

and, i have to see the last 3 episodes (even if I know the WONDERFUL ending because I saw part of the last episode :wub: :wub: :wub: ) but I have to say
>>> HONG GIL DONG. Wonderful plot, characters, music, acting, fighting, love scenes and... Kang Ji Hwan! :wub: Every (female) person I know fell in love with him seeing him as Hong Gil Dong... me too!

childermass

Post by childermass » Apr 26th, '08, 10:15

Hanjae wrote: There's another seriously underrated romantic comedy that doesn't fall under that pattern of turning dramatic and serious around the middle and collapsing at the end: 9 End 2 Outs. A lot of people have mentioned it in this thread already, but it can't hurt to mention it again, hah. It's brilliant, angst-free, and the two main leads have great chemistry. Up to you whether you find Soo Ae hot, though. I don't swing that way :lol
I don't know about "9 End 2 Outs" not fitting the Kdrama pattern because it looked like a typical romantic comedy to me. It also had a good dose of melodrama in the later innings and both characters had the kind of angst that only people suffering from a quarter-life crisis can possess (if you don't believe me then check out the lead guy and his emo-eyeliner).

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad drama but it isn't exceptional like Soulmate or EIA. Now those shows had pretty strong plots, not to mention good pacing.

EDIT: Then again I'm partial to shows that have fewer episodes. I set my kdrama viewing cap at 16 episodes, anything that goes beyond that which isn't a period drama is approached with extreme hesitation.
Last edited by childermass on Apr 27th, '08, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Apr 26th, '08, 13:32

^When I said not falling under the pattern of turning dramatic and serious around the middle and collapsing at the end, I'm not saying that it doesn't turn serious at all. With that plot, it can't possibly keep up the light and happy tone the entire way through without doing something serious that'll make the audience sit up and get interested. What I meant was that it didn't take a massive drop off a cliff around the middle and cave in at the end, like Witch Yoo-Hee or Goong did, for example. 9 End 2 Outs did get a bit more serious, yes, but nowhere near those extremes that are so common.

I guess it depends what you like? I haven't tried EIA, but I tried out Soulmate after reading all the rave reviews, and found it an absolute snorefest.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 26th, '08, 14:16

Hanjae wrote:^
I guess it depends what you like? I haven't tried EIA, but I tried out Soulmate after reading all the rave reviews, and found it an absolute snorefest.
I tried out 9Ends2Out after the reviews, and was not disappointed. Soulmate came next, based on recommendations, and although it wasn't a snorefest, I didn't find it as noteworthy as the reviews suggested. Maybe it all boils down to expectations and yes, individual taste.

p/s: Based on recommendations here, I'm trying EIA next. I still have low expectations, but I do expect the story to get better as suggested.

childermass

Post by childermass » Apr 27th, '08, 00:40

Hanjae wrote:^When I said not falling under the pattern of turning dramatic and serious around the middle and collapsing at the end, I'm not saying that it doesn't turn serious at all. With that plot, it can't possibly keep up the light and happy tone the entire way through without doing something serious that'll make the audience sit up and get interested. What I meant was that it didn't take a massive drop off a cliff around the middle and cave in at the end, like Witch Yoo-Hee or Goong did, for example. 9 End 2 Outs did get a bit more serious, yes, but nowhere near those extremes that are so common.

Fair enough assessment. I have to agree that Witch Yoo Hee and Goong went skydiving in the middle and just fell splat in the end. These are shows that started as pleasantly innocuous, turned silly and then just plainly morphed into retarded. So as far as 9 End 2 Outs is concerned, it could very well be the "Citizen Kane" equivalent of romantic comedies juxtaposed to Witch and Goong.
lucypcng wrote:I tried out 9Ends2Out after the reviews, and was not disappointed. Soulmate came next, based on recommendations, and although it wasn't a snorefest, I didn't find it as noteworthy as the reviews suggested. Maybe it all boils down to expectations and yes, individual taste.
It does boil down to personal taste. I do notice that some shows appeal to a certain demographic more than others that's why recommending kdramas without knowing the preferences of the other individual is pretty much a shot in the dark. As for the list of truly "underrated shows" in this thread... they are underrated for a reason. Part of it is that they don't have the usual draw or appeal that comes with a hit (like formulaic plots, popular actors, a conventional plot exposition or maybe they're just not targeted at a certain demographic that you belong to) but these shows are just worth that second look. They are suggested primarily because they (supposedly) offer something new or different that was overlooked by the public.

Having said that, I think there should be a clear definition of what we mean by "underrated" to help facilitate discussion on this thread.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Apr 27th, '08, 02:51

childermass wrote:I have to agree that Witch Yoo Hee and Goong went skydiving in the middle and just fell splat in the end. These are shows that started as pleasantly innocuous, turned silly and then just plainly morphed into retarded. So as far as 9 End 2 Outs is concerned, it could very well be the "Citizen Kane" equivalent of romantic comedies juxtaposed to Witch and Goong.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think 9 End 2 Outs is particularly out to offer anything new (plot-wise) to the audience. You can spot a lot of the typical plot points and issues raised there - hitting the 30s and still single, girlfriend leaving for career and coming back afterwards wanting to start afresh, best friends turned lovers, etc. - but what makes it work is that it takes those cliches and makes them enjoyable for the audience. It doesn't smack you in the face with the typical plot and then screw you over with a terrible ending and lengthy displays of how well the lead actress can cry.

I went into 9 End 2 Outs with no expectations whatsoever, and that probably helped. The more you expect, the more disappointing the result tends to be.
childermass wrote:As for the list of truly "underrated shows" in this thread... they are underrated for a reason. Part of it is that they don't have the usual draw or appeal that comes with a hit (like formulaic plots, popular actors, a conventional plot exposition or maybe they're just not targeted at a certain demographic that you belong to) but these shows are just worth that second look. They are suggested primarily because they (supposedly) offer something new or different that was overlooked by the public.

Having said that, I think there should be a clear definition of what we mean by "underrated" to help facilitate discussion on this thread.
There're also shows that went under the radar with the audience because of the competition from other dramas airing at the same time, i.e. Capital Scandal's ratings were completely crushed by War of Money, and 9 End 2 Outs was up against the immensely popular Dae Jo Young.

Everyone has a slightly different view of what's exactly underrated, I think, particularly since they may truly have disliked that drama that's listed as "underrated" and therefore wouldn't think it's underrated at all. It's made more difficult by the fact that although some dramas received terrible ratings, it either did better with the re-airing or it's a 'mania drama'. EIA's one such example, with a devoted netizen following but barely making a ripple with the majority of the audience. What I personaly mean by "underrated" are shows that received low(er) ratings that have very little noticeable hype/often unknown or unmentioned, particularly within the international fandom.

bluebyul34

Post by bluebyul34 » Apr 27th, '08, 21:32

alone in love
soulmate
rude women

older dramas: 18vs.29, let's go to school sangdoo, damo

que sera sera - i'm still watching... but i can't seem to stop.. it's back-to-back episodes for me xP

my friend recommended "the last scandal" to me a couple days ago and seeing how its also recommended here, i guess off to finding it i go!

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 28th, '08, 00:30

Damo underrated? I don't know what the series rating is, but netizens went crazy on this one. Their clickings produced a record in netizen history and the series was the most talked about at that time (or since)? I think this series belongs in the "cult" status category, but this should go to a new thread!

srs.cassiopeia

Post by srs.cassiopeia » Apr 30th, '08, 09:56

"9 end, 2 outs" was definitely underrated. it was not drastically new, but the flow and the presentation of the story were very well-developed. it is a drama that could potentially be close to one's heart because of this. i watched this series again after about 9 jdoramas, and realized that kdramas are still the ones that can touch your heart and present scripts that are closer to human struggles.

another underrated series is "my sister-in-law is 19." yoon kye sang was just great here. and the story, just fabulous =)

hanhyejung

Post by hanhyejung » May 2nd, '08, 05:15

Vineyard Man - loveeeed it <3

9 end 2 outs - hilarious XD

Super Rookie - cute and funny

Thank You - sad and good T_T

Hong Gil Dong - really funnyyy. i was so obsessed over this. i saw like 10 episodes of it all in one day... O_O

mitch16

Post by mitch16 » May 3rd, '08, 03:31

who are you was underrated!

it was not cliche , and it has a strong story plot!

the main leads have superb performances that would make you fall in love with tthem (esp, Yoon Kye Sang..lol)!

l7ghia

Post by l7ghia » May 4th, '08, 11:20

I think Happiness is pretty underrated..

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » May 4th, '08, 17:27

^Happiness may not be very popular for the overseas community (most people run away the minute they find out its number of episodes), but it's actually doing fairly well in Korea; average ratings lie between 20-25%. I've heard some pretty good things about it.

l7ghia

Post by l7ghia » May 4th, '08, 23:21

Hanjae wrote:^Happiness may not be very popular for the overseas community (most people run away the minute they find out its number of episodes), but it's actually doing fairly well in Korea; average ratings lie between 20-25%. I've heard some pretty good things about it.
Ah, I see. Yeah, I was surprised to see not a lot of people around D-Addicts talk about it. It's really good.

mannymo

Post by mannymo » May 5th, '08, 00:27

I've seen a few more and gotta say:

Surgeon Bong Dal Hee (dunno if it was popular in Korea, but i don't see it download that much here): Grabs you from episode one and just keeps on going. I watched it in two straight days. I'd say a mix between grey's anatomie & E.R.

Evasive Inquiry Agency/Mixed up investigative Agency: Definitely underrated by far!! It's quirky it's different from the usual kdrama's, no real lovestory involved. And it just gets better by the episode. It might not be for the people who are fans of crydrama's or lovestories, but if you're fan of kdrama this one should be on the list ^^.

ekay

Post by ekay » May 8th, '08, 07:06

yeah
Last edited by ekay on May 8th, '08, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

ekay

Post by ekay » May 8th, '08, 07:07

mannymo wrote:
Surgeon Bong Dal Hee (dunno if it was popular in Korea, but i don't see it download that much here): Grabs you from episode one and just keeps on going. I watched it in two straight days. I'd say a mix between grey's anatomie & E.R.
strongly agree on this one :cheers:

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 8th, '08, 08:28

I agree with those who say The Vineyard man is underrated. I just finished watching it and I think it was absolutely worth watching. Ok, maybe the plot was just common and it may have been a bit slow. Two first and two last episodes were a bit boring but what was between that was great. This drama proves that in hate-hate--->love love realtionship the guy doesn't need to be an ****. Two main characters fell in love so naturally. It was very believable. All characters were lovable and cute too. This is one of those dramas that will make you smile and feel good^^

algelic

Post by algelic » May 9th, '08, 13:12

"Love Letter" is a very underrated drama!

To me it's just as good [maybe even better] than Autumn in my Heart, Winter Sonata and Stairway to Heaven.

It's one of my favorite dramas! :wub:

microworm

Post by microworm » May 9th, '08, 21:15

I am so glad to know that there are so many people who felt that Soulmate was underated. It was an interesting drama, I like the way different stories were developing parallel to each other and finally they were all linked together. It has very good soundtracks too.

As for 9 end 2 outs, I wouldn't say it was underated, it was alright. It's rating was definitely higher than Soulmate.

Kallista

Post by Kallista » May 16th, '08, 23:30

bluebyul34 wrote:
que sera sera - i'm still watching... but i can't seem to stop.. it's back-to-back episodes for me xP

my friend recommended "the last scandal" to me a couple days ago and seeing how its also recommended here, i guess off to finding it i go!
Lol i'm still watching Que sera sera too, but I think it's too under-rated in my opinion. Well, I'm absolutely LOVING it (i'm at ep. 13), more than other famous dramas that got TEN in the rating topic. Eric Mun is great, the angst is REALLY high and i'm so catched by the conflict between "what has to be done" and "what someone would like to do" (my god my English DOES sucks! I know!)
Moreover: a LOT of sexual tension LOOL.

Dramabeans did "introduce" me to this drama, so i decided to follow her by watching also Last Scandal, and I think she was right: it seems really really interesting!

fatza

Post by fatza » May 17th, '08, 19:14

"Someday" in just 3 words : A MASTER PEACE

didiellza

Post by didiellza » May 17th, '08, 20:25

fatza wrote:"Someday" in just 3 words : A MASTER PEACE
Really is it that great?? I started watching it because the two male actors were in it, but I only saw the whole 1st episode and the half of the second but I stopped watching it because I it was boring!! Did I give it too early up?? Should I give it a second chance????

fatza

Post by fatza » May 17th, '08, 20:48

Oh yeah !!! just keep on watching... you won't regret it, the story is wonderfull and all the actors are awsome.. each charcter has this "thing" that will make u fall for the whole drama..and the drawings!! chinsha, beautifully done... I've just finished it hours ago...aigooo, it's gonna be hard to find sth as good..."Someday" is on the top of my 3 favorite, and i've seen a lot !! So just watch it, and give me ur impression after u do.. ara so?! :D

didiellza

Post by didiellza » May 17th, '08, 21:35

fatza wrote:Oh yeah !!! just keep on watching... you won't regret it, the story is wonderfull and all the actors are awsome.. each charcter has this "thing" that will make u fall for the whole drama..and the drawings!! chinsha, beautifully done... I've just finished it hours ago...aigooo, it's gonna be hard to find sth as good..."Someday" is on the top of my 3 favorite, and i've seen a lot !! So just watch it, and give me ur impression after u do.. ara so?! :D
:lol Well I will do as you say, after I have finished Single Dad in Love!! thnx

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 19th, '08, 13:24

I think that War of Money is really underrated here at D addicts. The topic has only 2 pages!! :O It got very good ratings but I wonder why not many people are watching it here? It had a very interesting plot and it was very exciting. War of Money didn't bore me in any episode and acting was good, ost was good too. For me it was brilliant in every aspects. I would suggest it to anyone. It had everything in it: love, action, excitement, humor and seriousness.

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » May 23rd, '08, 12:50

Soulmate! That drama was awesome! It actually felt like you were watching real lives, rather than something scripted. I really hope that they come out with a sequel.

didiellza

Post by didiellza » May 24th, '08, 09:10

fatza wrote: So just watch it, and give me ur impression after u do.. ara so?! :D
Well the storyline was simply fantastic and sooo beautiful.
Thanks God it was a happy end. the only think that I didn't get is why did her mother and father left her and her grandmother. I mean was it really because she was still young??

The Actors/Actresses were all great excluding Kim Min Joon. (I saw him for the first time in Damo, and my Impression of him was great. Fabulous actor but unfortunately It was the only drama I liked him. I didn't like him in Lovers in Pargue, In-soon is pretty and neither did I like him in Someday. His acting is always the same. From The handsome, intelligent and sucessful Man to the selfish man. And I never got it why did he love her?? It was more love as a FAN.
Well my favourite character was Yoon Hye Young. She is a great woman, and Kim Min Joon’s character is just too stupid not to fall for her.
Yaaa I was soo surprised by Lee Jin Wook’s acting here and his character is just soo lovely that I couldn’t help to fall for him.
All in all it was a great show, sure it could had been better but still it is a drama that I will not forget so fast!! Thanks for the recommendation.

arabian

Post by arabian » May 24th, '08, 19:05

maakopla wrote:I think that War of Money is really underrated here at D addicts. The topic has only 2 pages!! :O It got very good ratings but I wonder why not many people are watching it here? It had a very interesting plot and it was very exciting. War of Money didn't bore me in any episode and acting was good, ost was good too. For me it was brilliant in every aspects. I would suggest it to anyone. It had everything in it: love, action, excitement, humor and seriousness.
Honestly for me war of money was one of the best Kdramas last year with coffee prince & time between dog & wolf.. I watched it during my final exams but I was impatienlty waiting for the subs for each Eps.. the story was different, show how can money control people & chnage them to the worst in a money battle only to survive & how also the stronger is who has more money.. it was really nice, it got a high rating & attention on Korea, I think why it was not got that much attention on D-addict cuz it was not 100% romance & melodrama as people get used from korean drama but nowadays we can see a lot of korean dramas have different stories not focusing more on romance side..

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » May 25th, '08, 14:06

Speaking of War of Money, does anyone know where I can download it? This is actually the first drama I've had trouble finding since I've been introduced to Clubbox. There don't seem to be any torrents for it, all direct download links are dead, and even the files in WITHS2 clubbox have expired. I guess that just shows how underrated it really is - No one is even downloading it!

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 25th, '08, 20:46

you can get some episodes at http://idols-unlimited.com/kdrama-war-of-money and the rest at soompi topic. just google "war of money soompi" but you need to reginster.

arabian has a good point there. War of money really didn't have much love in it. But it had everytyhing else and a surprising ending xD poersonally I liked how it ended. There was a little ray of hope? maybe... I think everyone should watch it. It was just brilliant :wub:

littledraci

Post by littledraci » May 25th, '08, 20:55

Actually there are torrents here d-addicts--- but they're almost dead *suffering right now myself*..
Wanna watch it because of you guys XD

Btw, where can I find 'Someday' *mentioned before*?

Ah yeah, and kind of underrated for me too: Rules of Love *aka Our Preparations of Seperation*, New Heart and Fantasy Couple...

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 25th, '08, 21:20

This is not place to request... geez... take it elsewhere. You can find Someday at several streaming sites. just google it (why not use some own efforts). But it has been licensed and no one has subbed it.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » May 25th, '08, 22:25

Quote: 'geez' ..... never got an answer to my pn where I asked about this matter... :glare:
But thanks for the other infos..

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Jul 21st, '08, 05:38

Despite the poor reviews and ratings, I found Kangjeok (Powerful Opponents) very entertaining. Fast paced action, great acting all round.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 21st, '08, 06:03

littledraci wrote:Btw, where can I find 'Someday' *mentioned before*?
You can buy it. it's licensed.

junebaby

Post by junebaby » Jul 21st, '08, 11:10

CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED;
FLOWERS FOR MY LIFE & FORMIDABLE RIVALS :-(

violetflower

Post by violetflower » Jul 22nd, '08, 03:54

Definitely Soulmate! I won't say it's awesome or absolutely spectacular that the entire continents of South Korea and America should watch it. Had Soulmate had that many fans, there definitely would have been a second season already. It depends on what the viewer is attracted to. Some of us are getting bored with the same old routines of sudden deadly/incurable illnesses, ridiculous love triangles, having a storyline that had already been done before, or the cliche of someone always having to die at the end of the story, etc. Well, I found Soulmate to be wonderful b/c it kind of tells the story like it is the lives of real people. While I found some characters to be extremely irritating on the first time watching the drama (as I was only focused on the two main leads in the show) later I realized everyone had an important part to play. No other drama can replace the amazement I had in watching Soulmate. I'll be rooting for another season of Soulmate until, perhaps, the end of time lol.
I do admit i found Soulmate to be a little boring at some parts in the beginning toward the middle but that's how it is. It is realistic so that doesn't mean every episode or every second there's something huge happening in the storyline. I hope more people give Soulmate a shot by watching it. =D

harliey_nick

Post by harliey_nick » Aug 16th, '08, 11:55

Lovers n La Dolce Vita :wub: they're like really great!great plot great acting n nicely paced...give them a try :cheers:

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Aug 16th, '08, 12:24

Puppet Princess wrote:
littledraci wrote:Btw, where can I find 'Someday' *mentioned before*?
You can buy it. it's licensed.
Or watch it here aznv.tv (need to register first)

Soulmate is definitely underrated. Even though it's a bit slow it still has interesting plot and good casting.

queenofpainting

Post by queenofpainting » Aug 22nd, '08, 07:56

I don't know how popular "Dal Ja's Spring" is since it's kind of new, but it deserves a lot more attention.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Aug 22nd, '08, 18:40

queenofpainting wrote:I don't know how popular "Dal Ja's Spring" is since it's kind of new, but it deserves a lot more attention.
Dal Ja' Spring is very popular. At leats it was when it was new. It's not new anymore though so I guess people have kinda forgotten about it or rather everyone has seen it and all things have been duscussed for 100 times alredy.

karz000

Post by karz000 » Jan 3rd, '09, 07:06

<b> Hello God </b>, one of the most beautiful korean drama ever. It's so underrated though.

<b> Cloud Stairway </b> was also a good one. Not the best, but it wasn't pointless. Han Ji Hye and Shin Dong Wook has a good chemistry. =) It's really underrated too..

lemniscate

Post by lemniscate » Jun 5th, '09, 14:56

THANK YOU...MBC2007

LOVE MARRIAGE...KBS2008

very entertaining dramas but very underrated as well....

idiscolikeathug

Post by idiscolikeathug » Jun 6th, '09, 12:00

Women of the Sun: Def a more dramatic drama & starts a little slow, but the ending will have you on the edge of your seat. Not your typical predictable drama & I love how you're not quite sure who to root for. This drama is definitely worth watching!!

Thank You: This drama is very well acted by the whole cast & is very touching!

Couple of Fantasy: This drama had me laughing pretty much through all the episodes. I loved the consistency of it & how it didn't get all sappy. Light, funny & fresh!

shinorei

Post by shinorei » Jun 10th, '09, 14:14

bad couple is underrated. D:

icefish0724

Post by icefish0724 » Jun 11th, '09, 11:17

I think Who are You, Dalja's Spring and Flowers for my life are underrated. 9 ends 2 outs is also underrated.

Who are You: I think the concept is quite different, you can predict it, but only up to a certain degree, i don't like Go Ah Ra's acting but Yoon Kye Sang carried the show very well.

Dalja's Spring: Quite like My Name is Kim Sam Soon. It becomes predictable towards the end, but there were circumstances that proved to be unique and touching. I like Lee Min Kee. I think he can carry Drama and Comedy well. Of Course Chae Rim is the Star.

Flower's for my Life: This is the most touching Drama I've seen. It almost felt like an Italian Indie film (I think because of the songs and the summer rural mood). It dwells on the topic of existentialism, but not so much as to bury other big themes like money, family, and of course, love. *sigh* Cha Tae Hyun delivered what is expected of him in this Drama.

9 ends 2 outs: The story telling is the dish. I don't know why I love it, when the story is almost the same as other dramas. The characters also are predictable. It's just the story telling, I guess.

recyclebin

Post by recyclebin » Jun 20th, '10, 05:20

Mr. Goodbye
Hello, God!
Goong S
Fashion 70s

:)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 20th, '10, 08:18

Thank You
When The Spring Comes
Attic Cat
What Happened in Bali

Hmm, such an old topic...

Shindo Hikaru

Post by Shindo Hikaru » Jul 3rd, '10, 17:15

I don't know, 9 ends 2 outs did create a bit of hype on this site and some other kdrama sites, so I wouldn't consider it underrated. Wasn't particularly fond of that drama. Kinda dragged on a bit.
Soulmate was good. It was different compared to other dramas.
Prosecutor Princess. Compared to Cinderella's Sister and Personal Taste, it got less attention. Personally I prefer this drama over the two. Personal Taste made me frustrated in most of the scenes.
Golden Bride. Although it is very long and I haven't watched it all cause my mum killed it for me (watched it a thousand times. Even more ever since I got it subbed so that she would understand it) but from what I've seen so far, it has caught my attention. It's captivating. If I have the time I would watch it.

TylerDurden2604

Post by TylerDurden2604 » Jul 8th, '10, 21:46

I think "Flowers for my Life" and Strike Love" are both underrated!!!

Flowers for my Life started a bit silly but got better and better from episode to episode.

And Strike Love was full of memorable characters and i loved it from the start.

Viande

Post by Viande » Jul 15th, '10, 14:29

The Vineyard Man - I don't understand why ths drama is so rarely mentioned around internet even tough it's one of my favorites (if not most favorite). It's probably best drama I've seen with combination of humor that I like and good scenes to cry at.
A Love to Kill - Who cares about a bit unlogical plot, the acting is awesome and makes up a lot. I just loved the chemistry between main actors. And I don't think it's just "Rain drama, must see". I also kinda liked the way the scenes were cut into smaller pieces.
Take Care of the Young Lady - Again, I don't understand why this drama is so underrated... good actors, interesting plot... well ok the ending was a bit disappointing, it was too fast.
Magic - Worth to watch if you like melodramas. Sad ending tough...

I don't know why it's always so that dramas I love, others hate and dramas that others recommend, I find them boring/annoying. :-(

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Jul 15th, '10, 14:40

Soulmate, definitely! If I remember well, it was broadcasted at the same time as a really popular drama so the ratings were quite low D:

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gilnis » Jul 31st, '10, 11:52

SPRING WALTZ (2006, KBS) - excellent soundtrack and Han Hyo Joo!! THANK YOU (2007, MBC) - no cliche, amazing acting and Jang Hyuk!!

They cannot be suggested enough times..
I'm not able to understand how could they be so unheeded.. :blink

Interesting, very touching, bittersweet, unique stories about compassion, sacrifice, everlasting hope, unconditional affection or love... however, lots of sweet and funny moments... and "happy endings" (if I can say that at dramas like these).
Their love stories, the lovers' chemistry are also great... Adorable, cute kids... Superb acting... Beautiful soundtracks...

Thanks to them I've got to like Han Hyo Joo and Jang Hyuk very very much!! Now, I want more of them, so I have no choice than to watch their historical dramas although I haven't been interested in that genre at all! (I've watched many dramas, but there has been only one historical)

@Viande: it's the same with me...

aNaStAsIa7

Post by aNaStAsIa7 » Aug 1st, '10, 16:44

Soulmate & Vineyard Man. Both had rather unusual story line/setting which makes them interesting. I think there's a lot of vouching from people who have watched it these 2 dramas are really pretty good.

Silverman

Kdramas, which you've underestimated

Post by Silverman » Feb 2nd, '12, 21:18

We all know kdramas, which we anticipated for months, but at the point they are aired, they are simply disappointing. On the other hand there are dramas, which you underestimated. I'm not talking about dramas, which are underrated by the critics or by the viewers in general. I'm talking about dramas, which YOU avoided for months or years and thought every time you read something about them or saw them on dramasites, that they are not worth watching and are overall crappy. But at the point you actually watched them, they were just amazing (for you) and ended up on your favorite drama list. For me it were:

Pick the Stars
The description of this drama made the drama look like a melodrama and a very sad thing, but in the end it was on the romcomside.

City Hall
Though a lot of people recommended this drama, i still avoided it. I watched this one after "The Greatest Love" and i have to say, that it was a mistake to avoid this drama for over a year.

Fantasy Couple
At first i didn't like the idea, that it is the longversion of an old american move. So I thought that it would be just bad. But in the end i liked it.

Ms Kim's Million Dollar Quest
The name for itself isn't very inviting and the synopsis wasn't good, but after i watched it was very entertaining.

Temptation of Wife
At first i was turned off by the episodecount of 129. And it looked like too much melo. But after i watched it, i can say it's a very addictive drama. OK it's still melo, but i just love this drama.

You boys and girls can give better reasons for avoiding certain dramas, but you have now the idea, what i mean^^.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 2nd, '12, 21:22

Please, no multiple versions of the same threads.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Feb 2nd, '12, 22:23

Well it's not really the same. In this thread the people talk about dramas which they think is underrated by OTHER people. What i wanted, is a thread of dramas, which each user FOR HIM/HERSELF(consciously) avoided for a long time, but then discovered, that its an amazing drama for him/her. Yea i know, the difference is perhaps not big for all people, but for me personally it's big. An example for City Hall. This drama is not underrated, so it would not be in this thread. But I myself underrated it at first, so it would fit in "my" thread.
But OK, if you think its too similar, then i won't pressure it^^.

airboy

Post by airboy » Feb 9th, '12, 21:55

Silverman wrote:Well it's not really the same. In this thread the people talk about dramas which they think is underrated by OTHER people. What i wanted, is a thread of dramas, which each user FOR HIM/HERSELF(consciously) avoided for a long time, but then discovered, that its an amazing drama for him/her. Yea i know, the difference is perhaps not big for all people, but for me personally it's big. An example for City Hall. This drama is not underrated, so it would not be in this thread. But I myself underrated it at first, so it would fit in "my" thread.
But OK, if you think its too similar, then i won't pressure it^^.
Yeah, agree, similar but not 100% the same subject.
Also agree on that Stars Falling From the Sky/Pick the Stars was a realy nice drama.

AsianDramazzz9

Post by AsianDramazzz9 » Feb 21st, '12, 05:39

Birdie Buddy & Who are you (2008)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Feb 21st, '12, 08:26

Evasive Inquiry Agency - this drama kept me glued to the screen from the first to the last episode. No mushy mushy romance, but humor, action and few morons trying to solve the crimes. :mrgreen: