[Discussion] Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu (Summer 2008 drama)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
tsurashi313

[Discussion] Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu (Summer 2008 drama)

Post by tsurashi313 » Jul 18th, '08, 02:34

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread out yet for this drama, unless I missed it in the list and didn't go through the forum enough... The first episode will air next Monday, July 21, 2008 on Fuji TV. The school drama is also called in english: Homeroom on the Beachside

Summery:
Oda Yuji plays a teacher who guides a group of seniors at a prep school in Shonan, though his character is described as "stupid."
Some of my favorites starring in the drama are Okada Masaki, Tanimura Mitsuki, Yamamoto Yusuke, and Kitano Kii. :D Oda Yuji will be the main character! :cheers:

Since I don't know Japanese and don't go through the internet that much, this is all the information that I know which is really little.

Rollins proposed to sub this drama! I believe he is looking for help with the drama based on his wiki so if you're interested, you know what to do (sorry if this isn't allowed).

Official site: http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/sun-ocean
Wiki: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Taiyo_to_Umi_no_Kyoshitsu
Last edited by tsurashi313 on Jul 18th, '08, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jul 18th, '08, 02:50

Not sure what to make of this one based on the preview I saw. Is it a comedy? Obviously it's a school drama but that can always entail more. Kind of got a GTO vibe from it and really the last thing we need is another GTO or Gokusen :crazy: A "dumb" teacher that will change the lives of all his students...

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 19th, '08, 12:13

i'll be watching this too it's coming monday on Fuji. and i'm Watching it on TVU i Can't!!!.

I love it! because theirs actors from Stardust in It i love that agency.

lunas

Post by lunas » Jul 19th, '08, 12:47

I will be watching this too! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 20th, '08, 00:09

From Japan Times:

The ratings for "Change," the drama series starring Takuya Kimura as a young prime minister, weren't so hot, so Fuji TV has higher hopes for its followup in the important Monday night 9 p.m. slot. "Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu (The Classroom of the Sun and the Sea)" stars Yuji Oda, the only actor who can hold a candle to Kimura in terms of popularity.

Oda's character is introduced in an appropriately spectacular fashion. Two teenagers, Hiroki and Riku, are walking along a beach in Shonan when they encounter an old woman who is screaming. Her two grandchildren have wandered into the surf. Hiroki rushes in to save them, but it isn't necessary. An older man dressed in a suit walks out of the sea with the two children under his arms.

He is Sakutaro (Oda), who also happens to be Hiroki's and Riku's new homeroom teacher at their high school, an institution that prepares students for elite universities. On the first day of class, Sakutaro distinguishes himself from the other teachers by asking his students not which college they want to attend, but what their dreams are.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 20th, '08, 00:14

yes yes !! someone who's interested in someones other dream i'm defitnaly going to see this!!

harukaya

Post by harukaya » Jul 22nd, '08, 05:14

the first episode was pretty good...and there's a plot to the drama, yeah!
not to mention some of eyecandy --> hana kim boys (& girls) :cheers:

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 22nd, '08, 06:32

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-3547

The first episode hits 20.5 Ratings YAY!!!!!!!!!

But i still need to see this.

emerica1123

Post by emerica1123 » Jul 22nd, '08, 06:47

Yeah Kitano Kii. I loved her in LIFE.

Kitagawa Keiko was depressing on Shoujiki Shindoi with domoto tsuyoshi. I hope she can act.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 22nd, '08, 06:55

she did very good on Mop Girl i s just totaly loved her.

Sapporo Girl

Post by Sapporo Girl » Jul 22nd, '08, 10:09

I saw this drama last night! It totally rocked! I missed the beginning and I'd only sat down to ignore the television (as I usually do), but the "rescue" caught my eye and the next thing I knew 90 minutes had passed. It was fantastic! I absolutely loved Oda and I had no idea he had a drama this season. Now, I can't get his song, All My Treasures out of my head. They hinted at the character's back story and it's amazing. I get the feeling he will do whatever it takes to protect his students...whatever it takes!

I loved each and every kid in the drama, too. Maybe they don't all belong to huge companies, but I believe they are extremely talented. It's like a teenage actor all-star collaboration. Rollins made an excellent choice. I PMed him and offered my services. I'll happily support a quality drama like this one.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 22nd, '08, 10:48

i'm downloading it now. i coulkdn't watch yesterday (which would be during the day in holland) because i was helping my father with something. i'm sooooooo looking forward to this.

tsksquared

Post by tsksquared » Jul 22nd, '08, 11:21

While it's still enjoyable, the first episode didn't really impress me all that much. I thought it was very predictable and was really funny how the first episode of GTO and this first episode were SO MUCH alike. The only difference is that the students are smart and hardworking (which reminds me another drama I can't remember the name of). I'm surprised it received a 20% rating, but then again, Japan is a sucker for school dramas (with full of ikemen).

I guess I'll watch the 2nd episode, but I don't think I'll be missing out much if I didn't continue watching this.

And oh yeah, Oda Yuji's character is a bit annoying. If I was one of his students, I'm sure I'd get annoyed by him.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 22nd, '08, 15:44

So i finally saw the first episode. the only thing is have to say is that Yusuke's Character looks Bad ass.

the only thing that bothered me was
Student teacher love? WTF

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jul 22nd, '08, 23:25

I liked the story for episode 1, but it was so poorly directed... The whole show was corny as hell.

I don't know if Oda Yuuji's acting was too good or bad, but his character was so annoying in beginning. I almost stopped watching after 15 minutes. Fortunately it got better after that.
Kitagawa Keiko was SO horrible though. I can't believe she's the leading actress for a Gekku series :roll

The students seemed alright, but the kid who played brother in HYD was disgusting. Can't even tell if he was a guy if I haven't recognized him. Friggin' lose the child voice before playing a high school student. :cussing:

I think I'll watch another episode, but it's a big step down from CHANGE last season.

Rori

Post by Rori » Jul 23rd, '08, 00:33

I'm not really sure what to say on this after watching the first episode. If you could call skipping through parts of it every 2 minutes "watching it". I don't know, maybe I'm just too tired at the moment to sit through a one hour length show I'll probably decide whether I like it or not when I sit through the whole thing with subs.

Strange, I'm usually a sucker for school dramas. I'm surprised at how easily bored I got watching the first ep.

I like the cast, though. The kids... though a pretty strange line up, I like most of em' LOL @ Makinos little brother indeed. Wouldn't have even noticed it was him (seeing how he looks so different) but yeah, can tell who he is from a mile a way when he opens his mouth to speak. Hamada Gaku needs to LOSE the hair on the other hand.

I'll probably give the second ep a shot too and decide after that. For episode one... Cast? Great. Story? Bored me, really. But again, I'll have the second episode decide.

kirakira_luv

Post by kirakira_luv » Jul 26th, '08, 14:46

is there will be fansub sub this drama

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 26th, '08, 15:03

^ check fansub map before asking, Rollins is subbing it http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fansub_Map_2008

kirakira_luv

Post by kirakira_luv » Jul 26th, '08, 17:33

^ gomennasai m(__ __)m

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 28th, '08, 06:35

so... i want to clarify some stuff
kitagawa keiko's mum is the principal, and the dad is oda yuji ?? but i guess they have divorced?? because different family names..?

and why that student want to marry keiko? keiko knows him??

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Jul 30th, '08, 13:31

It may just be me, but in episode 2, the girl looked awfully similar to Michiru from Last Friends.

Doesn't she?

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Jul 30th, '08, 13:33

i havent seen ep 2 yet i'm kinda stupid that i forgot watching it on tvu.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jul 30th, '08, 20:02

8thSin wrote: The students seemed alright, but the kid who played brother in HYD was disgusting. Can't even tell if he was a guy if I haven't recognized him. Friggin' lose the child voice before playing a high school student. :cussing:
From the voice and the hairdo, I thought he was some transvestite :blink ... then the uniform color gave it away I guess.
It's funny yet disturbing, that they would cast someone like that.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 31st, '08, 23:16

From Yomiuri Daily:

Yuji Oda's summer school drama likely to flunk completely this summer
Wm. Penn

Watching Japanese TV, it should be understood before one tunes in, is allowing oneself to be hurtled, like Alice in Wonderland, down a rabbit hole.

Toss out all logic and suspend disbelief and you may even enjoy an adventure in this topsy-turvy world where News is an idol group from Johnny's Jimusho entertainment agency, Cream Stew is a comedy act and teachers are often cast as either complete incompetents or super heroes in the style of GTO and Gokusen.

Still, anyone who was planning to attend summer school at Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu (Homeroom on the Beachside, Fuji TV, Mondays, 9 p.m.) may want to drop the course and quickly scramble back out of the rabbit hole.

The first class, on July 21, was a dismal experience, almost painful to watch although it brought in Video Research Co. ratings of 20.5 percent. That is probably the EO (eternal optimists) factor at work. Lots of series start off well thanks to those of us who keep hoping for a drama renaissance. By week two, disillusionment sets in and most series plummet to 13 percent or the depths below.

Yuji Oda is trying very hard, but there is only so much that even an actor of his calibre can do with a half-baked character like Sakutaro Sakurai and this infuriating, flawed Yuji Sakamoto script.

Sakurai-sensei has been hired by the principal to counter the evils of the private school's deviant director who believes hensachi (standard deviation scores) are the measure of a person's worth. Yet we need look no further than Sakurai's assistant teacher Wakaba Enokido (Keiko Kitagawa), a Tokyo University graduate and former Miss Todai who still had to get her job through family connections, as ample proof of the fallacy of hensachi supremacy as the path to success.

Episode one seemed like a 21st century attempt to recreate the magic of the 1998 dramanga classic GTO with its rebellious but loveable Great Teacher Onizuka, the character Takashi Sorimachi so memorably brought to life. But Sakurai is no GTO. He turns the school's generally accepted logic upside down but his own logic is equally hard to fathom. Teens tuning into this one will find more confusion than guidance.

In episode one, the debt-ridden father of the school's top swimmer Hiroki (Masaki Okada) watches as a bigger company takes over and puts their own sign above his door. Hiroki's demoralized father loses all self-respect and the new owner's son humiliates and bullies him and threatens dad with further humiliation if Hiroki does not lose his swimming race on purpose so his own school can win.

Sakurai convinces Hiroki to compete and promises to deal with the bullies. Now in Gokusen or GTO, the next scene would show the teacher dispatching the bullies with a few karate chops or judo throws but not Sakurai. Hiroki tells the bully he will do whatever he wants and we see him racing about the scenic Shonan seaside landscape, cycling furiously along the Enoden tracks and jogging up temple stairs to please his tormenter. What a bad example he sets. Of course, placated bullies always demand more.

In the next scene, they want the swimmer's girlfriend Riku (Kii Kitano) to take off her school uniform and pose for cell phone photos. Hiroki's father makes no effort to intervene. It all makes you want to scream at the TV set: give us adults, basic values, role models, sanity, even a commercial will do.

Just then Sakurai, looking truly demented, appears with a chain saw. He heads straight for the cowering bully but no...wait. Sakurai is really headed up to the roof to saw off the bully's company banner. Beneath it, the indebted man's rusty old sign emerges and his pride is miraculously restored. Oh blimey, it's a miracle and a takeoff on the old "noren" plot stereotype where the cloth curtain representing the family's pride and product wields almost mystical power.

There's a guy named Takahiro Yamamoto who has made a comedy career out of imitating Oda. He's probably the only one who will benefit from this unhappy day at the beach. Perhaps, Sakurai really deserves another chance to redeem himself but I just can't bear watching any longer as Oda, one my favorite Japanese actors, suffers through this torturous script. One star, no stars.

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Aug 1st, '08, 00:32

@raven_frost

wait...where did this come from?

is it your own review?

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Aug 1st, '08, 04:44

I've watched the first episode of this with subs and the second episode RAW, and I have to say it's an alright drama. I mean, it won't be paving the way for any new type of drama, but it's not bad.

I am a bit disappointed in it, I will say that. I knew it won't be like GTO or even a Gokusen, but I was hoping it was a bit more than the forumla school drama we've been getting over the last few years.

You know the forumla: some (odd, quirky, 'rebel') teacher enters the lives of a class of students (usually in their last year of high school or middle school) and teaches them about life through unqiue lessons; without it ever getting too dark. And, of course, every episode the teacher (and the kids he/she has won over - cause the class always hates/is annoyed by the teacher) helps out a student who has an issue. And of course, the big bad principal/chairman of the school is after the teacher because she/he dares care about the kids. So far Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu seems to be that kind of drama. :roll

One think that was kind of interesting was

Kawabe Eiji (Yamamoto Yusuke) asking Enokido Wakaba (Kitagawa Keiko) to marry him. That was a bit out of the blue, as he asked it in exchange for returning to school. :blink Then, he asked her again in episode two - right in the middle of lunch. Later, at the end of episode two, Eiji seemed to hug and/or kiss Wakaba.

This lead me to wonder 'WHAT?", but from the previews for episode three, it seems that Eiji is taking care of his younger siblings and marrying would give him extra points and help him keep his siblings together as a family. So, I get that now. I just wonder why he asked a teacher and not, say a friend. But, I guess marrying someone with a job and a degree from a fancy uni. is more impressive to a judge.

By the way: does anyone know who Wakaba's dad is?

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Aug 1st, '08, 05:06

raven_frost wrote:Review from Yomiuri Daily.
Ouch, harsh review, but I have to sadly agree that ep1 was a bit painful to watch.
Anyways, hope ep2 will redeem itself if not I'll probably drop this one too.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Aug 1st, '08, 05:18

I thought it was good episode 2 maybe because i didn't watch much other school drama's.

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Aug 1st, '08, 20:40

i pretty much enjoy the drama

but to me, the best school drama is still : Jyoou no Kyoushitsu

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Aug 3rd, '08, 04:29

Rori wrote:I'm not really sure what to say on this after watching the first episode. If you could call skipping through parts of it every 2 minutes "watching it". I don't know, maybe I'm just too tired at the moment to sit through a one hour length show I'll probably decide whether I like it or not when I sit through the whole thing with subs.

Strange, I'm usually a sucker for school dramas. I'm surprised at how easily bored I got watching the first ep.

I like the cast, though. The kids... though a pretty strange line up, I like most of em' LOL @ Makinos little brother indeed. Wouldn't have even noticed it was him (seeing how he looks so different) but yeah, can tell who he is from a mile a way when he opens his mouth to speak. Hamada Gaku needs to LOSE the hair on the other hand.

I'll probably give the second ep a shot too and decide after that. For episode one... Cast? Great. Story? Bored me, really. But again, I'll have the second episode decide.
I had the same opinion when seeing the first episode it well... bored me it just your typical copy of GTO eventhough I not a fan of Gokusen at least it tries to be a bit different with the main character being female and being raised by in a Yakuza lifestyle, well I guess this series is original if you consider it being set near the beach lol.

Anyways I also agree with raven_frost review there were alot of cringing moments in the first episode especially the classroom scene yikes I'm sure the director would love to redo that scene, did not like how the bully situation was handled either.

When I was nearing the end of the first episode I was thinking to myself that I would have rather watched Dragon Zakura again, not to say it was a great series it was decent but it at least that series tried being different rather than being an outright ripoff of GTO like this series was, also enjoyed Hiroshi Abe preformance in that series. I'm give this series one more try but if episode 2 is as medicore as the first episode was I'm bailing out.

xAsianDramasx

Post by xAsianDramasx » Aug 4th, '08, 22:53

raven_frost wrote:From Japan Times:

The ratings for "Change," the drama series starring Takuya Kimura as a young prime minister, weren't so hot, so Fuji TV has higher hopes for its followup in the important Monday night 9 p.m. slot. "Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu (The Classroom of the Sun and the Sea)" stars Yuji Oda, the only actor who can hold a candle to Kimura in terms of popularity.

what ratings are seen as good in japan?? I thought CHANGE got really good ratings?? like nearly always above 20%?? plus this drama has got less ratings :S love kimutaku ^___^

xAsianDramasx

Post by xAsianDramasx » Aug 4th, '08, 23:05

8thSin wrote:I liked the story for episode 1, but it was so poorly directed... The whole show was corny as hell.

I don't know if Oda Yuuji's acting was too good or bad, but his character was so annoying in beginning. I almost stopped watching after 15 minutes. Fortunately it got better after that.
Kitagawa Keiko was SO horrible though. I can't believe she's the leading actress for a Gekku series :roll

The students seemed alright, but the kid who played brother in HYD was disgusting. Can't even tell if he was a guy if I haven't recognized him. Friggin' lose the child voice before playing a high school student. :cussing:

I think I'll watch another episode, but it's a big step down from CHANGE last season.
totally agree and omg!! I didnt know that was her lil brother in hyd!! omg, I dont remember his voice being like that loooool, I thought it was a girl talkin and was like :blink

bighoy99

Post by bighoy99 » Aug 5th, '08, 15:15

it's a good drama.but i use internet 2 Mb .But d/l very slow.please seed file when finished

shannobi

Post by shannobi » Aug 6th, '08, 02:57

I just saw episode three, and it was very... woah. That was gruesomeish. o.0

But the next episode seemed interesting.
I guess it focuses on one of the dude and piano, and Kitano Kii's character gets asked out by someone who isn't Hiroki?

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Aug 6th, '08, 05:42

xAsianDramasx wrote:
raven_frost wrote:From Japan Times:

what ratings are seen as good in japan?? I thought CHANGE got really good ratings?? like nearly always above 20%?? plus this drama has got less ratings :S love kimutaku ^___^
Change did get great ratings it average 21.7% which is pretty damn good it did even better then Bara no nai Hanaya which had an average total of 18.6% which was the previous show that aired at the same timeslot. Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu had a good first episode TV ratings of 20.5% but it tank since then ep 2 getting a 14.4% and then the third ep got a 12.7% ouch, which is pretty bad. Don't think this series will average higher then 15.0% unless the rest of the episodes get good ratings which I doubt it will because it looks like alot of people bailed out on watching this series after the first episode.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Taiyo_to_Umi_no_Kyoshitsu

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Aug 18th, '08, 13:12

Isn't another reason why it has okay ratings is because it's the summer and the Olympics are showing? Unless the Olympics aren't showing during those timeslots. :) But Taiyo's story isn't all that appealing so whatever. I don't know what Fuji TV was thinking when they thought CHANGE didn't get high ratings, I guess they were hoping for ratings somewhere in the range of Hero's rating...

I like the drama so far, it's not as interesting as I thought as first but it's pretty okay. I always think the students are so annoying though. It makes sense that they act like that to the teacher but personally as a student I like how the teacher is.

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Aug 19th, '08, 02:28

Actually, I've noticed that most of the shows airing right now are only in the 5%-13% range. Atsu-hime is the highest rated drama right now at 27.7% for episode 30; aside from that, the second highest rated drama right now is Kyoto Kawaramachi-sho Jiken File, a crime drama, that got a 13.0% last week. I've also noticed a steady drop in ratings (for all dramas) over the last three weeks, so it may have to do with the Olympics and it being summer. But, I have also noticed that overall ratings for Japanese televsion have gone done a lot over the past ten-eight years. Back in the 1990s, most shows seemed to average in 20%+, now a 17% ratings average is considered a success. So, I honestly don't see why they thought CHANGE, which averaged a 22% rating was not successful enough.

TtUnK's current average rating is 14.6%, which is fairly good all things considered. Code Blue 's average is 15.5%, not much better. Koizora is only at 5.8% for an average rating. Basically, what I'm saying is that all tc shows - even the really awesome ones aren't doing as great as they should for whatever reasons.

Personally, I would consider Taiyo to Umi no Kyoshitsu a modest success, when you take into account the drop in people who watch tv during the summer.

But, I am with others who say the students are annoying. The teacher is a bit odd, but he's teaching them and is kind. It's like the students are stuck-up, refusing to be kids and at the same time acting like spoiled brats. And, they have problems, but none of them seem able to just ask for help - not even from their classmates or friends.

Maybe its wrong, but I prefer watching the relationship between Enokido Wakaba and Kawabe Eiji or Wakaba and the teacher than watching the students complain about how hard they have it. If you have it so hard, try and change it - don't just give in.

GaussAlgorithmus

Post by GaussAlgorithmus » Sep 9th, '08, 11:41

Can somebody tell me, in which region of Japan the Drama takes place (=had been filmed)? Or even better, the town?

dokodemodoa

Post by dokodemodoa » Sep 14th, '08, 07:28

I enjoy this dorama too.
The overall acting's OK, I may not use the word "great" due to some minor itches here and there (especially by Kitagawa's character)
But agree that it's poorly directed. The script's idea's excellent IMHO, but somehow it fells outdated, especially with so many unnecessary pauses here and there.

Poor Oda Yuji, poor casts.
But i'll still watch it till the end I guess, so many interesting quotes I must not miss.

TsubasaDragon

Post by TsubasaDragon » Sep 14th, '08, 08:10

i like this drama too too bad i haven't got the time to watch it.

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Sep 17th, '08, 21:24

Ok, what started out as a "goofy teacher teaches kids how to live. . . "

just got dark. They killed off one of the kids! How did he die, anyway? I'm unsure, as I just skimmed the episode and it was raw.

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Sep 18th, '08, 00:28

nikkibell84 wrote:Ok, what started out as a "goofy teacher teaches kids how to live. . . "

just got dark. They killed off one of the kids! How did he die, anyway? I'm unsure, as I just skimmed the episode and it was raw.
I got the same question as you.
I wasn't really feeling this show in the first place anyway and then when I saw that, it was kind of traumatizing. I sort of wish I had never even watched this at all. But how did he die? How long was he on the boat? Since I also only skimmed it, it didn't seem like he was stranded out there for that long so I don't know...
Gotta wait for subs I guess.

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Sep 18th, '08, 02:40

Well, wan't

he on the boat with that girl that wanted to kill herself? Or was she not on the boat? 'Cause she's alive. I don't remember if she was on the boat, as it has been a while since I skimmed the last episode. Still, very very dark for what I assumed was a light hearted coming of age drama.

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Sep 18th, '08, 04:22

nikkibell84 wrote:Well, wan't

he on the boat with that girl that wanted to kill herself? Or was she not on the boat? 'Cause she's alive. I don't remember if she was on the boat, as it has been a while since I skimmed the last episode. Still, very very dark for what I assumed was a light hearted coming of age drama.
I don't remember seeing her on the boat, but I may have missed it since I just skimmed through. Maybe she did literally kill him? I really don't wanna rewatch it to find out. I'll just wait for the subs...

Navin

Post by Navin » Sep 19th, '08, 12:53

The train of thought behind that twist was probably bad ratings ---> let's go insane to bring them up.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Sep 19th, '08, 17:15

From my limited understanding of Japanese and watching the end of episode 8,
after the rescuers rescue the unconscious girl, I think they told the teacher that boy is already dead. And that how episode 8 ended. Episode 9 is dealing with his death.

Ok, this part could complete wrong. Again back in episode 8, the girl use some kind drug to knock out the boy. Because she doesn't want to die alone, she drove the boat out in the ocean with both of them on board. Either set fire or disable the engine of the boat. I think somehow the boat is slowly sinking. She then use the same drug to knock herself out. Since the boy took the drug early, he wakes up. Figure out what's happening, search the boat and finds only one life jacket. So being the nice guy he is, he puts it on the girl.

The weird thing for me is how close is he to shore? Since his cell phone is getting a signal.

marspeach

Post by marspeach » Sep 19th, '08, 17:55

XrayMind wrote:From my limited understanding of Japanese and watching the end of episode 8,
after the rescuers rescue the unconscious girl, I think they told the teacher that boy is already dead. And that how episode 8 ended. Episode 9 is dealing with his death.

Ok, this part could complete wrong. Again back in episode 8, the girl use some kind drug to knock out the boy. Because she doesn't want to die alone, she drove the boat out in the ocean with both of them on board. Either set fire or disable the engine of the boat. I think somehow the boat is slowly sinking. She then use the same drug to knock herself out. Since the boy took the drug early, he wakes up. Figure out what's happening, search the boat and finds only one life jacket. So being the nice guy he is, he puts it on the girl.

The weird thing for me is how close is he to shore? Since his cell phone is getting a signal.
Ah, thanks for the explanation! I probably could have figured it out if I had actually watched it instead of skipping through.

myk_06

Post by myk_06 » Sep 19th, '08, 22:52

XrayMind wrote:From my limited understanding of Japanese and watching the end of episode 8,

i think it goes like, the boy couldnt avoid the girl so he had to go with her cause she had a knife. then they drove a boat out to sea, the boat of the engine broke down and while the girl was distracted the boy knocked her unconscious, then doing as the sensei told him to wear a life jacket but there was only one and puts it on the girl.

Im not really sure on how the boat sank, they were probably out there too long lol

core2quadcore

Post by core2quadcore » Sep 21st, '08, 05:45

so this is kei-chan's new drama...hmm...better find the torrent now to watch it later :cheers: :salut:

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Sep 28th, '08, 19:59

does anyone know if the OST is on the internet sumwhere
i love tha music from this show

lilchan

Post by lilchan » Oct 13th, '08, 13:54

where can the ost be brought?I tried searching for it, but came up with nothing

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Oct 14th, '08, 14:47

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 19th, '08, 22:56

Episode 9 made me bawl like a baby. And I really don't mean like a few tears, I was crying out loud for 5 minutes. Ahh, this never happens to me when I watch dramas, but this was really touching.

This hasn't been the most outstanding drama of this season (or rather last season), but I liked the realism of it.

skyblue21

Post by skyblue21 » Nov 11th, '08, 06:36

Great drama!!.. Inspiring stories and has lots of meanings.. Definitely have to watch!!

nelo

Post by nelo » Nov 19th, '08, 14:44

i loved the story, with the guidance of a teacher like that im so impress. Great drama!
episode 8,9 and final feels like teary moment for me.

where can i get the 'Cant take my eyes...' op theme? :)

the_lilone

Post by the_lilone » Dec 31st, '08, 08:37

i only watched this cuz i was done all the summer dramas and waiting for the fall dramas to start... so i went to look at the ratings for the summer season and realized this was one of the front-runners... i'm so glad i watched it.... this is the only time i actually thought ratings was useful in helping me decide what drama to watch cuz usually i don't believe in them but if i hadn't this time around... i would've just left this drama cuz it never attracted me....

it's a very cliche story i think but also done quite uniquely... as compared to Gokusen 3 one season earlier.... this one actually had meaning in it... pretty much every episode made me tear up but the last few episodes were real tear jerkers...
nelo wrote:where can i get the 'Cant take my eyes...' op theme? :)
you mean UZ's version? I could upload it for you... but i'm not sure about the rules around here i don't know if it's allowed.... PM/email me if u're still looking for it....

hideko

Post by hideko » Jan 3rd, '09, 05:43

Sometimes, I think I should read spoilers... it would save me a great deal of angst, time, and tears. ;_; I thought it was a little cliche at first, but I enjoyed the characters and the actors, so I gave it a chance........ and then it destroyed my ability to be happy, temporarily.

Maybe it's because something akin to that happened to my class, but I know that it really, really was painful to watch. I probably could have gone a few more years without dragging out the memories this show managed to relate to... Nonetheless, I enjoyed the show overall.

core2quadcore

Post by core2quadcore » Jan 4th, '09, 16:34

i just managed to watch it till the end because of kei-chan :P :lol

nogo

Post by nogo » Jan 26th, '09, 04:41

first I thought: mhm... is it the time worth to watch it?
after the 2nd episode i knew it is.....
nice acting, good actors, interesting (and sad) story, realistic,.... that's all it needs (in my eyes) ;)

deivadavied

Post by deivadavied » Apr 3rd, '09, 14:36

um.. i like this series.. it really touching.. like most of you said, episode 9 is really make me sobbing..

my eyes endure tears while i was watching the hachi's video..
"oh god.. did he really die??".. my head is fulll of that things..

um.. may i ask for help?? can someone give me the link to download the OST??
i love the background music.. wkwkwk...
i've been searching in the net.. but i ended up with my "huff.."
someone please help me..

niena-chan

Post by niena-chan » Apr 13th, '09, 13:59

really love this story!!~so touching!so sad!so real~i've never cried this much when watching dramas before.i rally can feel akari's sadness.poor akari.she must be so sad. :cry:

deivadavied

Post by deivadavied » Apr 19th, '09, 02:20

yah... the most touching is when hachi died while he and akari just been a new lover for 1 day..

anyone get the OST??

egghead

Post by egghead » May 11th, '09, 21:06

^^ ouch.....spoiler alert

orangesymphony

I can help you out.

Post by orangesymphony » Jun 18th, '11, 23:44

Anyone still looking for the OST?
I got it if you're interested. OTL;;

Here's the link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N6HD4KHN

If it doesn't work, email me @ kittykins1994@hotmail.com