Is there a Japanese equivalent of d-addicts?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
333free

Is there a Japanese equivalent of d-addicts?

Post by 333free » May 23rd, '08, 12:17

Just wondering if the fansubbing scene works in reverse, are there any Japanese web sites where Japanese/English speaking fansubbers translate UK or US programs. If there is a site, what's being subbed?
I guessing it's would be US mainstream, or are the copyright laws between the US and Japan clearer when its American programming.

Just a random thought. (sorry if this has been asked before- I did a quick search, did'nt see anything new-ish.)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 23rd, '08, 21:32

not sure, but you may want to search our site for SHARE and WINNY.

333free

Post by 333free » May 23rd, '08, 23:02

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction jholic.
I've got a partial answer now I know that downloading is legal in Japan (for private use), but uploading is'nt.
Hmmm, interesting.

Keizou

Post by Keizou » Jun 1st, '08, 14:19

i think shows like prime time shows like LOST and prison break are popular in japan....
but I'm not sure if there's a site like that for these shows...

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 10th, '08, 03:08

Keizou wrote:i think shows like prime time shows like LOST and prison break are popular in japan....
but I'm not sure if there's a site like that for these shows...
I thinks its actually aired on TV in Japan (Subtitled) because various J-Idols / Celebs mention having been addicted to watching these western series. If not - probably a DVD release of some sort.

Sapporo Girl

Post by Sapporo Girl » Jun 10th, '08, 03:46

All of the most popular series are on DVD in rental shops all over the country...subs and/or dubbing included. In addition, LOST and Prison Break are also broadcast on regular television almost everywhere. Granted shows like this are usually broadcast after 11 p.m. in many areas, but they do come on in prime time in some places. Western movies could pop up at any time of day or night. Monk and Ugly Betty (NHK) are definitely subbed and dubbed. Doctor Who currently is dubbed, no subs (yet). Maybe because kids are the target audience???

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jun 10th, '08, 03:53

I know the American fanbase in China is big. You can find Chinese subs for alot of American shows.

regregreg

Post by regregreg » Jun 11th, '08, 15:33

Unfortunately, I don't know about such site, but I'm sure they exist!

Btw, I was watching Heroes on Japanese tv the other day. It was on tv around 2 or 3 a.m. in Japan [I watched it in the afternoon, thanks for the 7 hour time difference]. It was really weird, because it was dubbed and Hiro [the Japanese character from the show] had a different voice! He speaks Japanese AND English on the show, so they had to dub him!
It was sooo weird... listening to some Japanese guy dubbing an other Japanese speaking Japanese into Japanese. XD

Sapporo Girl

Post by Sapporo Girl » Jun 12th, '08, 03:56

regregreg wrote:It was sooo weird... listening to some Japanese guy dubbing an other Japanese speaking Japanese into Japanese. XD
Heroes comes on at 5 p.m. Saturday here in Sapporo. Hiro's accent sounds weird to me in the show although the actor has made great strides in interviews. My neighbor doesn't like to hear him speak. She says his accent is frequently wrong and it sounds so foreign. She doesn't want her children to hear it. That's probably why the networks dubbed him in the first place. Funny...I don't get the impression that this is a kid's show.

Very old Western stories like Combat are intriguing though. They dub the English, but never the German or French. Furthermore, there is no English dubbing or subbing for the German or French, thus, if an episode is heavy on those people, it's possible (if a person isn't familiar with the languages) to miss half of what is said although common sense will take a person far.

morimoli

Post by morimoli » Jun 12th, '08, 15:43

Hahaha that's a really interesting question, I would assume there is something like that. Although I don't know why any one would want to watch American television, especially if you had constant access to Japanese television!