[Discussion] Last Friends - Nagasawa Masami/Ueno Juri/Eita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kishimoto-ruka119

Post by kishimoto-ruka119 » Jun 1st, '08, 19:42

sarah117 wrote:
QNSpider wrote:I just had a random thought. Wouldn't it be funny if Eri and Sousuke got together? I know she despises men like him, but what if Eri became his cure?

Wow, that was lame. hahaha
ouh no, don't give this idea to the screenwriter.. :lol
If it happens.. Poor Eri
I watched episode 8 and i saw the preview for episode 9.
Agh Sousuke got crazy! And they said one will die? Is it Takeru?
No way!!!! When i saw sousuke got hit by a train from saving the kid on episode 8, I thought he is the one who is going to die. But! Sousuke the Demon is alive!!
:blink

TokyoJuice

Post by TokyoJuice » Jun 1st, '08, 21:49

^Yuuki wrote:Everyone go download this! MentoreG. The one with Masami making weird sounds. Haha. More Juri, Eita and Masami to tide us through to Thursday. ^^
http://d-addicts.net/torrents/mentoreg% ... vi.torrent
Sorry for asking this... but is there any way to download this from megaupload or something like that? I don't have that torrent client thing... .__.'' (and I CAN'T install it either). Is it possible to request the file somewhere?

@ episode 8:
I'm not sure where to begin...
It was really hard to watch this episode (just like the previous ones xP) because it really hurts to watch Ruka in pain and desperation and I cried in a lot of scenes this time... ;__;''

I don't think that Ruka will be able to be with Michiru in the end (so no "real" happy ending - if you want to call it that). And in my opinion it's also impossible for a "Takeru loves Ruka + Ruka loves Takeru"-ending. You can obviously see that there is nothing but (very deep) friendship between them. Yes, Takeru loves Ruka but he's aware of Ruka's feelings + he is just too gentle to force her to love him. And he knows that she loves/likes him as a friend, so that's just fine for him.

I don't want to go deeper into this TakeRuka-topic, so some more about "that death":

I would like to see Sousuke dead. LOL. Sorry, for writing it this way but I just feel like that when I see him. And after I watched the preview for episode 9 this feeling intensified...

:stress:

ashton

Post by ashton » Jun 1st, '08, 22:13

magicmusic wrote:
ashton wrote:Hey everyone. I'm new here, as i'm sure you all can tell. I've been following this thread for a while and i finally decided to register because i can't help but throw in my two cents (or five).
First of all, i just wanted to tackle some of the recent "omg Takeru/Ruka or Ruka/Michiru?!" comments. Do i think Ruka loves Michiru? Sure. But i don't think it's the same overpowering level of love we witnessed in the beginning of the series. Either that, or i'm just not picking up on any chemistry. I'm starting to think that although Ruka still cares for Michiru, she knows that it wouldn't be a happy, golden relationship.

Now as for the Takeru/Ruka discussion, there are a couple of things i'd like to point out- and most important among them are the concerns that Ruka won't go through with the surgery or will somehow find herself content with being a woman. Being transgendered isn't usually something one is "confused" about. Although some people don't develop the feeling that something is "wrong" until they're a bit older, most transgendered people know they're different even as children. For many, it's a feeling as innate as knowing you're left-handed or right-handed.

I, for one, don't see her backing out of it. And even if she does, that doesn't mean that she's just "decided" to be a woman. There are plenty of reasons transgendered people choose not to go through with surgery or hormone therapy and many instead try to do what they can without those medical procedures. So if Ruka backs out for some reason (whether because she's found someone who will accept her no matter what, or for some other thing), she's still going to feel like a man on the inside, despite any "feminine emotions" she has.

There's also the fact that Ruka has gone so far as to see a psychiatrist. It's hard enough for someone in America to work up the courage to get that far. Imagine what it must be like for someone in Japan, where the very thought of seeing a psychiatrist- for any reason- is so highly discouraged that it's almost taboo. If she's worked up the nerve to seek advice from a therapist, she's pretty darn serious. There's no way Ruka is going to simply be "comfortable" as a woman, even if she (or should i say "he"?) accepts her body.

And, of course, there's also the concern that Ruka might turn "straight" for Takeru. For starters, they're kindred spirits. I'd go so far as to say that they're soul mates. That doesn't necessarily imply a romantic relationship, merely that they're emotionally as close to one another as people can get. And if Ruka does eventually return Takeru's feelings and their relationship becomes non-platonic, who's to say that's made Ruka straight? Since Ruka is transgendered, wouldn't we be just as able to say that they'd be gay and/or bisexual men? (Trust me, it's totally possible.)

And no matter what the details might be, what would be so wrong with Ruka and Takeru ending up together? Like i said, it doesn't mean Ruka isn't as queer as a football bat. To be honest, i'd much rather see them together than to Ruka and Michiru. Ruka and Michiru would never work out; if they did end up together, it wouldn't last and Ruka would, at the very least, be uncomfortable. I prefer the Ruka/Takeru pairing because they actually deserve each other. I can relate to Ruka and i have an inexplicable fondness for Takeru, and i think they actually go well together. It would be a comfortable, open, happy, and honest relationship- and theirs is already the healthiest relationship in the entire series.

Okay. That's probably long enough. I'm done. For now, at least.
But why do 2 people who share a beautiful relationship always have to end up as lovers? Can't they just have a beautiful relationship as friends?
On the Ruka points, I still believe Ruka is genderqueer and not trans. She hasn't actually expressed any desire to be a man (aside from the surgery stuff). Rather she keeps saying she doesn't wanna be considered ANY gender. She just wants to live as a human being.

Maybe I'm wrong. And maybe I'm a bit bitter because I think that, by the writers making Ruka trans, it somehow takes away from the fact that she is megagay in love with Michiru. I think a lot of Japanese people will just view Ruka as a "boy" in love with a girl. In that way no great strides will have been made in helping the gay people of this country. I know trans people here and they don't walk around looking like Ruka. Ruka looks VERY much like a girl. She even wears girls' clothes. Doesn't make much sense if you ask me.
I agree that it would be nice to see a strong relationship that doesn't become romantic. But i wouldn't be worried about it if it does. But that's probably something from my "go with the flow" personality.
Truth be told, if she were a real person, i'd peg her for genderqueer, too. But i think that since most audiences are only familiar with extremes, the writers decided to make her trans.

I've also noticed some not-so-trans things about Ruka, too. Like some of her body movements and her fingernails. But, again, if someone's not familiar with the queer community, they're probably not going to notice. Besides, you can't necessarily look at someone and figure out they're trans; based on my own very boyish appearance and body language, a lot of people think i'm trans and i'm not.

Eh. I'd babble on more, but i have to get ready for work.
At any rate, i can't wait for episode nine. I think i'm officially an addict. But that's the first step, right? Admitting there's an addiction? Yeah.

kishimoto-ruka119

Post by kishimoto-ruka119 » Jun 1st, '08, 22:13

TokyoJuice wrote:
^Yuuki wrote:Everyone go download this! MentoreG. The one with Masami making weird sounds. Haha. More Juri, Eita and Masami to tide us through to Thursday. ^^
Sorry for asking this... but is there any way to download this from megaupload or something like that? I don't have that torrent client thing... .__.'' (and I CAN'T install it either). Is it possible to request the file somewhere?

@ episode 8:
I'm not sure where to begin...
It was really hard to watch this episode (just like the previous ones xP) because it really hurts to watch Ruka in pain and desperation and I cried in a lot of scenes this time... ;__;''

I don't think that Ruka will be able to be with Michiru in the end (so no "real" happy ending - if you want to call it that). And in my opinion it's also impossible for a "Takeru loves Ruka + Ruka loves Takeru"-ending. You can obviously see that there is nothing but (very deep) friendship between them. Yes, Takeru loves Ruka but he's aware of Ruka's feelings + he is just too gentle to force her to love him. And he knows that she loves/likes him as a friend, so that's just fine for him.

I don't want to go deeper into this TakeRuka-topic, so some more about "that death":

I would like to see Sousuke dead. LOL. Sorry, for writing it this way but I just feel like that when I see him. And after I watched the preview for episode 9 this feeling intensified...

:stress:
yeah he is evil

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 1st, '08, 22:25

TokyoJuice wrote:
No need to apologize... Everyone feels that way.

Except for the Ryo fangirls who can't differentiate the the actor from the role.

kishimoto-ruka119

Post by kishimoto-ruka119 » Jun 1st, '08, 22:30

bmwracer wrote:
TokyoJuice wrote:
No need to apologize... Everyone feels that way.

Except for the Ryo fangirls who can't differentiate the the actor from the role.
Oh yeah :thumright:

Te Amari

Post by Te Amari » Jun 1st, '08, 22:57

kishimoto-ruka119 wrote:]

XD I remember watching that! That was hilarious. I just had an explosion of thoughts/feelings, so they're below. Feel free to skip my ramblings.

As for Sousuke, I know he doesn't deserve it, but I kind of wish that he would be redeemed (not because he's played by Nishikido). I should hate him (since he's being such a b*st*rd to Michiru), but I can't help but wish him a good ending. We all know things like that don't really happen too often, if at all, especially in a drama, but I'm being drawn into this drama and it feels like reality in such a way that the characters feel real, and no matter how horrible they are, I want a happy ending for all of them (even Sousuke, Michiru's mom, Michiru's coworker, everyone). However, if Sousuke is truly and completely lost (which I don't believe anyone ever is), I won't feel bad about hating him just a little.
I think spoiler material starts here...?

We've seen a compassionate side (most definitely), and even that was tainted with his whole "She'll come back to me" thing. But we know there's something good there somewhere that's repressed by his need (fixation? obsession? lunacy?) for unconditional love.

As for Ruka, Takeru, and Michiru...I know what I want, and I know that what I want will not necessarily happen. I want Ruka and Takeru together. I want Michiru and Ruka to be close friends. I want everyone happy. But judging from the first episode, we all know that won't happen. What do I think will happen? I'm not sure.

One theory: Ruka tells Michiru about the whole gender thing, and Michiru doesn't react well. (Does not explain death or pregnancy, though, unless Ruka kills herself which I'm sure won't happen)

I agree that Ruka has her mind set on the whole GID thing, but is unsure about telling people. I really have no idea who impregnates her, but as long as it's not Ruka (j/k, don't kill me), I'm sure the drama will be on course. I think I'll like what they do no matter what, as long as they keep up the quality of acting/music/cinematography and do not do something completely ridiculous (ex. Ruka impregnating Michiru)

kishimoto-ruka119

Post by kishimoto-ruka119 » Jun 1st, '08, 23:19

Te Amari wrote:
kishimoto-ruka119 wrote:]

XD I remember watching that! That was hilarious. I just had an explosion of thoughts/feelings, so they're below. Feel free to skip my ramblings.

As for Sousuke, I know he doesn't deserve it, but I kind of wish that he would be redeemed (not because he's played by Nishikido). I should hate him (since he's being such a b*st*rd to Michiru), but I can't help but wish him a good ending. We all know things like that don't really happen too often, if at all, especially in a drama, but I'm being drawn into this drama and it feels like reality in such a way that the characters feel real, and no matter how horrible they are, I want a happy ending for all of them (even Sousuke, Michiru's mom, Michiru's coworker, everyone). However, if Sousuke is truly and completely lost (which I don't believe anyone ever is), I won't feel bad about hating him just a little.
I think spoiler material starts here...?

We've seen a compassionate side (most definitely), and even that was tainted with his whole "She'll come back to me" thing. But we know there's something good there somewhere that's repressed by his need (fixation? obsession? lunacy?) for unconditional love.

As for Ruka, Takeru, and Michiru...I know what I want, and I know that what I want will not necessarily happen. I want Ruka and Takeru together. I want Michiru and Ruka to be close friends. I want everyone happy. But judging from the first episode, we all know that won't happen. What do I think will happen? I'm not sure.

One theory: Ruka tells Michiru about the whole gender thing, and Michiru doesn't react well. (Does not explain death or pregnancy, though, unless Ruka kills herself which I'm sure won't happen)

I agree that Ruka has her mind set on the whole GID thing, but is unsure about telling people. I really have no idea who impregnates her, but as long as it's not Ruka (j/k, don't kill me), I'm sure the drama will be on course. I think I'll like what they do no matter what, as long as they keep up the quality of acting/music/cinematography and do not do something completely ridiculous (ex. Ruka impregnating Michiru)
Episode 6 > sousuke raped michiru
Result: Michiru pregnant

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jun 1st, '08, 23:42

Te Amari wrote:
I totally agree with this. I've never even seen Ryo before this and I'm not a fan of Johnny boys, so this is nothing biased in that way. For a person to become like that (like Sousuke), something pretty radical has to have happened. I don't need the drama to show/tell me that. While a bad childhood doesn't completely justify what he has become, I still can't blindly just hate him. For me, the characters totally feel real, so it'd be pretty coldhearted of me to hope for his death. If someone has to die, I'd pick him, but still, to hope for someone to die... doesn't really suit me, whether it's a real person or a fictional one.

rulan

Post by rulan » Jun 1st, '08, 23:55

TokyoJuice wrote:
[ /quote]

i think the main thing is to support the uploaders by downloading their file but if you can't in any way download using torrent then i can help by uploading it to megaupload. I just downloaded the file myself from torrent but sadly i don't understand japanese so i didn't understand a word they were saying.

is there any way we can get that subbed?

siutou_amy

Post by siutou_amy » Jun 2nd, '08, 01:54

ashton wrote:
First of all, i just wanted to tackle some of the recent "omg Takeru/Ruka or Ruka/Michiru?!" comments. Do i think Ruka loves Michiru? Sure. But i don't think it's the same overpowering level of love we witnessed in the beginning of the series. Either that, or i'm just not picking up on any chemistry. I'm starting to think that although Ruka still cares for Michiru, she knows that it wouldn't be a happy, golden relationship.

Now as for the Takeru/Ruka discussion, there are a couple of things i'd like to point out- and most important among them are the concerns that Ruka won't go through with the surgery or will somehow find herself content with being a woman. Being transgendered isn't usually something one is "confused" about. Although some people don't develop the feeling that something is "wrong" until they're a bit older, most transgendered people know they're different even as children. For many, it's a feeling as innate as knowing you're left-handed or right-handed.

I, for one, don't see her backing out of it. And even if she does, that doesn't mean that she's just "decided" to be a woman. There are plenty of reasons transgendered people choose not to go through with surgery or hormone therapy and many instead try to do what they can without those medical procedures. So if Ruka backs out for some reason (whether because she's found someone who will accept her no matter what, or for some other thing), she's still going to feel like a man on the inside, despite any "feminine emotions" she has.

There's also the fact that Ruka has gone so far as to see a psychiatrist. It's hard enough for someone in America to work up the courage to get that far. Imagine what it must be like for someone in Japan, where the very thought of seeing a psychiatrist- for any reason- is so highly discouraged that it's almost taboo. If she's worked up the nerve to seek advice from a therapist, she's pretty darn serious. There's no way Ruka is going to simply be "comfortable" as a woman, even if she (or should i say "he"?) accepts her body.

And, of course, there's also the concern that Ruka might turn "straight" for Takeru. For starters, they're kindred spirits. I'd go so far as to say that they're soul mates. That doesn't necessarily imply a romantic relationship, merely that they're emotionally as close to one another as people can get. And if Ruka does eventually return Takeru's feelings and their relationship becomes non-platonic, who's to say that's made Ruka straight? Since Ruka is transgendered, wouldn't we be just as able to say that they'd be gay and/or bisexual men? (Trust me, it's totally possible.)

And no matter what the details might be, what would be so wrong with Ruka and Takeru ending up together? Like i said, it doesn't mean Ruka isn't as queer as a football bat. To be honest, i'd much rather see them together than to Ruka and Michiru. Ruka and Michiru would never work out; if they did end up together, it wouldn't last and Ruka would, at the very least, be uncomfortable. I prefer the Ruka/Takeru pairing because they actually deserve each other. I can relate to Ruka and i have an inexplicable fondness for Takeru, and i think they actually go well together. It would be a comfortable, open, happy, and honest relationship- and theirs is already the healthiest relationship in the entire series.

Okay. That's probably long enough. I'm done. For now, at least.
Hey, ashton. That was a really great post. I feel that Takeru and Ruka go well together, they seem to be different on the outside. Takeru is the makeup artist, wears pale colors, cooks, makes coffee. While Ruka is the biker, often wears blues and greens, sits at the table with her father and little bro when her mom is in the kitchen with Michiru and Takeru. Yet, Ruka/Takeru feel the same... often gentle, the good friend type, and always trying to get labeled by people. They compliment each other... Ruka giving Takeru the chance to approach her, instead of cornering him for a kiss or judging him for not pursuing a woman. And Takeru approaches Ruka, breaking down the wall that she built up and giving her the support she needs.
magicmusic wrote: But why do 2 people who share a beautiful relationship always have to end up as lovers? Can't they just have a beautiful relationship as friends?
On the Ruka points, I still believe Ruka is genderqueer and not trans. She hasn't actually expressed any desire to be a man (aside from the surgery stuff). Rather she keeps saying she doesn't wanna be considered ANY gender. She just wants to live as a human being.

Maybe I'm wrong. And maybe I'm a bit bitter because I think that, by the writers making Ruka trans, it somehow takes away from the fact that she is megagay in love with Michiru. I think a lot of Japanese people will just view Ruka as a "boy" in love with a girl. In that way no great strides will have been made in helping the gay people of this country. I know trans people here and they don't walk around looking like Ruka. Ruka looks VERY much like a girl. She even wears girls' clothes. Doesn't make much sense if you ask me.
Haha, well... I always like the idea of 'best friends' turned lovers :wub:
ashton wrote:
Truth be told, if she were a real person, i'd peg her for genderqueer, too. But i think that since most audiences are only familiar with extremes, the writers decided to make her trans.

I've also noticed some not-so-trans things about Ruka, too. Like some of her body movements and her fingernails. But, again, if someone's not familiar with the queer community, they're probably not going to notice. Besides, you can't necessarily look at someone and figure out they're trans; based on my own very boyish appearance and body language, a lot of people think i'm trans and i'm not.

Eh. I'd babble on more, but i have to get ready for work.
I also think that turning Ruka into a guy would take a little bit from the story. However, I also like the idea of not labeling people into straight, or gay, transexual, girl or boy, but I think it might be to messy for the couple of episodes left.

I think Ruka will re-think her decision and decide she is just gay. Because it's true that Juri Ueno (whom I've become a very huge fan of for the past month) is a bit too girly for being genre confused. The biggest nitpick is that sometimes she sits down and crosses her legs. xD

I don't think a woman wanting to be a man would cross her legs like that. I cross my legs when sitting down, or most the times I curl in the chair coz I'm tiny, and yeah- I also sit with my legs wide open when I'm wearing jeans, and often get scolded because it's not lady-like. LOL

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 2nd, '08, 02:00

this is the way I see it so far:

To me it is perfectly clear that the drama is about Ruka, mainly, and Ruka-Michiru relationship. From the first episode till now it's about Ruka's feelings : the joy of seeing Michiru, kissing Michiru, caring about Michiru, protecting Michiru., suffering constantly because of Michiru...even she goes as far as asking Takeru (who loves her) to take care and protect Michiru. I think the theme song also is about Ruka's feelings. In the presentation/opening of the drama we can see Ruka embracing Michiru, Michiru is Love and Ruka is Liberation, plus in the end of the opening Ruka and Michiru's faces are turned towards each other. What I mean by all this is that the end will also be about them too. In the narration Michiru doesn't refer about anyone else but Ruka, with regret that she didn't understand her. I think that when Michiru found about Ruka she didn't take it that well at first but reflecting she changed her mind. What I'm curious about is Ruka's reaction and how will they meet at the end. Will they meet by chance again or someone will come looking for the other?
It's true that in the last 2 ep, 7 and 8, it was more about Takeru-Ruka relationship. Poor Ruka, she needed someone to accept her!
I think it was just very clever of the writers NOT to let Michiru and Ruka hug. It would have been awkward and too much. Many times just a handshake or a glance is enough. I also think that it was beautiful that it was Michiru who didn't want to let go.
I also think she's not quite in love with Takeru. She's very fragile and naive and she pretty much does what she's told (she didn't have luck with her parents or boyfriend either). But for Ruka I think she feels something special (it might or might not be love) that she cannot define just yet. Maybe we will see at the end what she really feels.
I belived so far that it will be Takeru the one to die but now, even with the "terrible" ep. 9 preview, I don't think he'll be the one. For Michiru to be so at peace in the beginning of the drama it means that she's settled with Sousuke. As crazy and obsessed as Sousuke is the only way out is for him to die, especially if Michiru is pregnant.
Anyway I hope the writers will give Ruka what she deserves: being loved and accepted by the one she trully loves. She doesn't need any surgery, she's beautiful the way she is (I now that it may sound weird....) but it will be a wonderful drama if she is told this by Michiru . I think the drama will fall into the ordinary if Michiru remains alone or if they put Ruka and Takeru together, or if Ruka and Michiru remain just friends (what was the purpose of Ruka's struggles then i wonder....they're friends already!). My guess is that Takeru will be the one to bring them together as he is now the link between them, that's why I think they won't sacrifice a nice, sweet guy like him!
WOW, that was long....I hope NOT boring....Anyway, regardless the ending this is the best jdrama I've seen, and the girl playing Ruka (sorry don't know her name yet) she deserves praises for the way she made the character.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 2nd, '08, 02:40

crisdrag wrote:the girl playing Ruka (sorry don't know her name yet) she deserves praises for the way she made the character.
Ueno Juri.

You need to check out Nodame Cantabile and Swing Girls at the very least. :thumleft:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rulan wrote:
TokyoJuice wrote:
i think the main thing is to support the uploaders by downloading their file but if you can't in any way download using torrent then i can help by uploading it to megaupload. I just downloaded the file myself from torrent but sadly i don't understand japanese so i didn't understand a word they were saying.

Don't hold your breath... The chances of non-drama shows like that getting subbed are pretty remote, if you look at past history... :sweat:

magicmusic

Post by magicmusic » Jun 2nd, '08, 03:07

TO ASHTON:
Glad to see we agree! I really doubt Ruka and Takeru are gonna end up in bed together within the next 3 eps. There's no physical love between them. Their relationship is much much deeper than that. They are close friends and soulmates. My friend has the same relationship with her "gay boyfriend."
And you are RIGHT about Ruka's fingernails. Why are they so long? The writers should have SERIOUSLY watched "Boys Don't Cry" or something before deciding to make Ruka trans.

Or maybe she actually will be made genderqueer! I think it's kind of interesting that the psychiatrist guy keeps trying to discourage her from surgery. And in ep. 8, he basically asks why Ruka is in such a rush and she says it's cuz she's in pain. Maybe she just feels there's no alternative, that life would be easier as a boy. But then again...I've NEVER wanted to be a boy no matter how gay and struggling I was.
Ugh, how are they gonna conclude all of this in 3 eps?!

Salz

Post by Salz » Jun 2nd, '08, 03:12

rulan wrote:
TokyoJuice wrote:
[ /quote]

could u please upload the them into megaupload???
i really want to c the show and i cant use torrent as well^^"

m-ayu

Post by m-ayu » Jun 2nd, '08, 03:16

TokyoJuice wrote:
I can't use torrent too, thanks to my isp who blocked p2p program.... :glare:
Anyway, I always download stuff from this blog who kindly uploading amazing stuff.
And he/she recently just uploaded that Mentore G show on megaupload. (thank you so much!!)
So download here, if you're not torrent friendly like me.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Jun 2nd, '08, 03:39

What do we think of Michiru's ex-work mate?
Is she in some kind of horrible relationship herself, and thus became a bully because she saw Michiru's life as perfect, with a nice boyfriend? That's what I tend to be thinking. She could be stalking Michiru, but somehow I doubt it. I do like that the minor characters seem to have things going on as well, like this girl isn't just "the bully" but seems to have a bit more dimension in her. now, if only they would give Sousuke some dimention!!

Salz

Post by Salz » Jun 2nd, '08, 03:39

@m-ayu
thanks so much for sharing the MU link^^

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jun 2nd, '08, 04:19

Hey everyone! Great to see a lot of "new" people joining in! I joined for this drama too (but from ep 1)! haha

Anyway, if someone could give us some clue as to the contents of the show - MentoreG - that would be great! I'm not so hopeful and looking for a full translation but a summary of key bits would be good! All I can see are them talking about each other and "hearts" around the place!!! :wub: Aaaah!! Driving me crazy...

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 2nd, '08, 04:29

GoddessCarlie wrote:now, if only they would give Sousuke some dimention!!
He does have a dimension... ONE dimension.

Man, the writers haven't done anything with this character, other than to show he's probably training a new apprentice like Darth Sidious and Annakin Skywalker/Darth Vader...

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 2nd, '08, 05:26

Caps from MentoreG. :)

Image Image

rulan

Post by rulan » Jun 2nd, '08, 06:15

siutou_amy wrote:
ashton wrote:
I think Ruka will re-think her decision and decide she is just gay. Because it's true that Juri Ueno (whom I've become a very huge fan of for the past month) is a bit too girly for being genre confused. The biggest nitpick is that sometimes she sits down and crosses her legs. xD

I don't think a woman wanting to be a man would cross her legs like that. I cross my legs when sitting down, or most the times I curl in the chair coz I'm tiny, and yeah- I also sit with my legs wide open when I'm wearing jeans, and often get scolded because it's not lady-like. LOL
hehe i get yelled at for not crossing my legs either. stupid lady-like crap. i think ruka and takeru should just switch places. though the whole crossing your legs thing i'm not very sure about but guys do it. i mean takeru crosses his legs so maybe he should be a girl. hehe. i'm not that familiar with transgender but from what i know the most important thing is how you feel on the inside. yes she might not completely like her body but she was still raised as a girl so she was probably yelled at many times for having guy traits. so over time you just kinda do it out of habit.

Post by 206 » Jun 2nd, '08, 06:15

This drama is tough to watch as it is so different that most I have seen. The domestic violence with one of my fav actresses is tough to watch. I've seen tragic j-dramas but this one has a different take with a bunch of tragic characters. Even Hikaru's Prisoner of Love in this light is tragic. I'm wondering what leads to the single pregnant girl. Someone must be dead. Dare I continue? Is there any happiness?
Last edited by 206 on Jun 2nd, '08, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

rulan

Post by rulan » Jun 2nd, '08, 06:16

m-ayu wrote:
Anyway, I always download stuff from this blog who kindly uploading amazing stuff.
And he/she recently just uploaded that Mentore G show on megaupload. (thank you so much!!)
oh thanks for the link i was gonna upload it right now but i guess i don't have to anymore.

spyefox

Post by spyefox » Jun 2nd, '08, 07:52

^Yuuki wrote:So people are starting to throw in their money to the pool. That's why you guys should have joined the discussion earlier, won't have to explode all of a sudden. Haha. =3 Episode 1 already made me come out of the (lurker) closet and register which I'm glad I did. I'm just a tad tired of talking about mainly the same issues over and over again though...^^;;
hey yuuki, been following this thread from day 1 except i'm too busy with work 6am to 9pm everyday. I have my own theory back then except no time to write. quit my job last friday, so i got all the time in the world for my 1 cent worth he he
p/s just got back from job interview today, told them i'll be available july. so i got time to lurk around this forum every hour and day until this end of LF :P

Btw i love all the theories, thoughts, pictures of actors, t-shirts and even the mugs.. that people are putting here...that show we all have in common..love the drama too much to the point of obsession LOL

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 2nd, '08, 12:17

spyefox: Haha. The more the merrier~ 3 more episodes left so gotta make the most outta it. ^^
crisdrag wrote:this is the way I see it so far:

To me it is perfectly clear that the drama is about Ruka, mainly, and Ruka-Michiru relationship. From the first episode till now it's about Ruka's feelings : the joy of seeing Michiru, kissing Michiru, caring about Michiru, protecting Michiru., suffering constantly because of Michiru...even she goes as far as asking Takeru (who loves her) to take care and protect Michiru. I think the theme song also is about Ruka's feelings. In the presentation/opening of the drama we can see Ruka embracing Michiru, Michiru is Love and Ruka is Liberation, plus in the end of the opening Ruka and Michiru's faces are turned towards each other. What I mean by all this is that the end will also be about them too. In the narration Michiru doesn't refer about anyone else but Ruka, with regret that she didn'tunderstand her. I think that when Michiru found about Ruka she didn't take it that well at first but reflecting she changed her mind. What I'm curious about is Ruka's reaction and how will they meet at the end. Will they meet by chance again or someone will come looking for the other?
It's true that in the last 2 ep, 7 and 8, it was more about Takeru-Ruka relationship. Poor Ruka, she needed someone to accept her!
I think it was just very clever of the writers NOT to let Michiru and Ruka hug. It would have been awkward and too much. Many times just a handshake or a glance is enough. I also think that it was beautiful that it was Michiru who didn't want to let go.
I also think she's not quite in love with Takeru. She's very fragile and naive and she pretty much does what she's told (she didn't have luck with her parents or boyfriend either). But for Ruka I think she feels something special (it might or might not be love) that she cannot define just yet. Maybe we will see at the end what she really feels.
I belived so far that it will be Takeru the one to die but now, even with the "terrible" ep. 9 preview, I don't think he'll be the one. For Michiru to be so at peace in the beginning of the drama it means that she's settled with Sousuke. As crazy and obsessed as Sousuke is the only way out is for him to die, especially if Michiru is pregnant.
Anyway I hope the writers will give Ruka what she deserves: being loved and accepted by the one she trully loves. She doesn't need any surgery, she's beautiful the way she is (I now that it may sound weird....) but it will be a wonderful drama if she is told this by Michiru . I think the drama will fall into the ordinary if Michiru remains alone or if they put Ruka and Takeru together, or if Ruka and Michiru remain just friends (what was the purpose of Ruka's struggles then i wonder....they're friends already!). My guess is that Takeru will be the one to bring them together as he is now the link between them, that's why I think they won't sacrifice a nice, sweet guy like him!
WOW, that was long....I hope NOT boring....Anyway, regardless the ending this is the best jdrama I've seen, and the girl playing Ruka (sorry don't know her name yet) she deserves praises for the way she made the character.
Yeah, I notice the whole emphasis on Ruka too. Who wouldn't? :D
Even though Nagasawa Masami is supposed to be the main actress, I suppose Ueno Juri is the other main actress(normal dramas would have a main actor in her stead). Eita, I see him as a supporting character still. And that's what he does in the show, awesomely supporting Ruka and is almost always the one that brings Michiru and Ruka together. Michiru and Takeru's monologues are mostly Ruka centric too which is interesting. So, one way or the other, Ruka should get her liberation at the end.

I had my bets on Takeru as the 'death' but with the way things have been going 'smoothly' in that direction, I don't think so anymore. Haha. Why? The answer still lies in episode 1. If Takeru was it, I think she would have shown much more regret and sadness instead of just describing it as 'that death' which seems...kinda distant? So it should be Sosuke...a death probably brought on by his own actions. Well, maybe.
sleepyzzz: Well, I've only seen like the first 10 minutes so far. Still waiting for the torrent to be done...-_-; But the first thing they talked about was how each of them debuted. It was pretty funny seeing Eita's especially. ^^ Then they kinda introduced about their roles to of course. I caught a part where Juri said that when she feels that a particular scene is hard (as Ruka and for Masami, as Michiru), she'll look at Masami and say "I'll protect you"(as if it were Ruka saying to Michiru) and it feels easier to get into character after that. Hehe. :mrgreen:

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 2nd, '08, 14:25

Well, in my obsessive-ness, I've written another Last Friends Fanfic but this time in Michiru's point of view(the other rantfic is under my siggy but you don't have to read that to read this).

Here: Last Friends: Fairytale
Summary: "Ruka, do you remember the night you kissed me for the very first time?"

Aha, it isn't as exciting as it sounds... :mrgreen:
Pardon the sappy-ness though...I can't help it. ^^;
Let me know what you guys think.

I think I found an image that fits the fic~ :wub:

Leyy

Post by Leyy » Jun 2nd, '08, 15:01

thanks for the preview for epi 9...i'm a sucker for happy endings...so i'd prefer a happy ending... :)

there was this one scene i like wherein michiru was rushing home, then asked ruka if she's really leaving the sharehouse, and she said she can't leave the sharehouse coz she'll be nothing without ruka, or something like that....i like the way michiru said, it's not alright without her around, the feeling was spontaneous, deep in her heart michiru's has been emotionally dependent on ruka..which only shows how much affection/love michiru has for ruka...just a thought...

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jun 2nd, '08, 16:49

^Yuuki: Thanks for the translation! "I'll protect you"....HAHA Can't wait to watch it! I just finished downloading so let's see how much I can make out of it - probably very little.

Been relatively inactive lately! I have an exam this weekend so cramming - once I'm done I'm going to be back into this all again.

I just rewatched the park scene from Episode 6 (where Takeru lies about the bike not working and gets Ruka to come) and near the end of it, there is a voice over from Ruka. Seriously, what she says there reminds me of her deep love for Michiru. I think we've all been a bit distracted with the whole Ruka/Takeru thing in the last 2 episodes. She's pretty much dead set on Michiru. Definitely worth a re-watch! One of my favourite scenes!!!

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 2nd, '08, 17:05

sleepyzzz: I just went and watch. It's actually "I want to protect you". ^^ And yeah I love park scenes~! Some great MichiRuka and TakeRuka moments there. =D

Pic spam! Kaze to Rock~! I can't believe it's a free paper! 40 colour pages of the three of them in some pretty quirky poses! Gyah. :blink

All 40 pages/pictures can be previewed here: http://magabon.jp/special/kazetorock/mo ... index.html
Main site: http://magabon.jp/special/kazetorock/monthly/index.html (I think you can check out where to get at the bottom)

Some of them in HQ this post

Mantaray

I need some help on subtitle!!

Post by Mantaray » Jun 2nd, '08, 17:31

Hey Yuuki and others who know Japanese. I found that the subtitle from Seri and Sukuteru in some parts are totally different meaning, esp in Episode 8. Could you tell me what exactly did Eri said to Takeru about Ruka's Gender Identity Disorder and Takeru told Michiru about his feeling to Ruka (or what Ruka think of him)? So I can ensure I am not misunderstanding in these important scenes. I found some difference between these two fansub in other episodes too, but those were insignificant details.

BTW, could anyone tell me which programe I can embed the softsub into the raw one?

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jun 2nd, '08, 17:38

I've been reading the discussions since the start of this drama too, just prefer to read what everybody else has to say because earlier on I had not caught up with all the episodes yet (busy with work, watching other dramas etc.). So far, the discussion on this thread has been really good and insightful. It's eye-opening to read how differently people think about the characters, sharing their views based on their personal experiences (and of other people they know) and coming from diverse backgrounds.

Thanks for all the commentary, pictures, links, translations and whatnot that has made this thread such a pleasure to visit. Nothing much to add on episode 8 that the rest haven't already said.

Oh, just one thing that has been bugging me- there's too many spoiler tags on the thread, which is quite cumbersome to click on. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I didn't want to be spoiled, then I wouldn't click on the thread until after I've seen the episode. And sometimes chatter about the actors are also under spoiler tags. Weird.

That's all. The picture of Juri, Eita and Masami falling on the grass together cracks me up - it looks like Eita is throwing his body between the two girls to keep them apart! :lol

^Yuuki

Re: I need some help on subtitle!!

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 2nd, '08, 17:49

Mantaray wrote:Hey Yuuki and others who know Japanese. I found that the subtitle from Seri and Sukuteru in some parts are totally different meaning, esp in Episode 8. Could you tell me what exactly did Eri said to Takeru about Ruka's Gender Identity Disorder and Takeru told Michiru about his feeling to Ruka (or what Ruka think of him)? So I can ensure I am not misunderstanding in these important scenes. I found some difference between these two fansub in other episodes too, but those were insignificant details.

BTW, could anyone tell me which programe I can embed the softsub into the raw one?
Hmm, since I don't watch both subs (for episode 8 at least), maybe you can quote the difference? For me, I watch the first time raw and 2nd time with Suketeru's subs and I don't find anything wrong with it meaning wise. I already recheck those 2 scenes and it's pretty much the same as what I can understand(from my limited knowledge of Japanese anyway). But yeah, the last time I compared was around episode 3 I think. There was a pretty obvious mistake during the harbour scene there in Seri's version. That's why I ended up using Suketeru's until now I think(i prefer her conversation flow too). But I can't say much for other episodes. ^^

hanapyupyu: Haha, yeap. Seems like they're having a tag team wrestling match of some sort? I have no idea who's teaming againts who though. Lol. Well, I still visit the thread even if I haven't watch it. To post pictures, scans and stuff. I certainly wouldn't want to be spoiled so those evil spoiler buttons are both a good and bad thing.
Last edited by ^Yuuki on Jun 2nd, '08, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jun 2nd, '08, 17:53

hanapyupyu wrote:
Oh, just one thing that has been bugging me- there's too many spoiler tags on the thread, which is quite cumbersome to click on. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I didn't want to be spoiled, then I wouldn't click on the thread until after I've seen the episode. And sometimes chatter about the actors are also under spoiler tags. Weird.
Well, since there are some people who watch the raw, some people the raw with softsubs and some wait for the hardsubbed version, it's still safer to use spoiler tags and clearly state which episode you're talking about, so that people can choose if they want to be spoiled. Some people also use the spoiler tags if their rants are long. I know it's a bit tricky to choose which one's to click since you can't be really sure what's behind them, but I still think it's better like this. Getting spoiled would suck.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jun 2nd, '08, 18:32

SSpiegel wrote:
hanapyupyu wrote:
Well, since there are some people who watch the raw, some people the raw with softsubs and some wait for the hardsubbed version, it's still safer to use spoiler tags and clearly state which episode you're talking about, so that people can choose if they want to be spoiled. Some people also use the spoiler tags if their rants are long. I know it's a bit tricky to choose which one's to click since you can't be really sure what's behind them, but I still think it's better like this. Getting spoiled would suck.
I agree spoiler tags should be used, but not excessively. I think this thread has more than the normal amount of spoiler tags used compared to other drama threads. It's definitely prudent to use spoiler tags to post info on future episodes, summaries etc. (and spoilerish speculations), and considerate to use spoiler tags to discuss a new episode for 3/4 days after the raws have been released on d-addicts. That's a reasonable amount of time for spoilers tags until the majority of people have downloaded the raws and depending on how fast the subs are released, watched the episode with subs. But to still discuss the previous episodes under spoiler tags a week or more after just because some people prefer to wait for the hardsubs is a bit too much (does that mean any plot point beyond episode 6 is a spoiler since kioku hasn't released episode 7 hardsubs yet?). Also, sharing one's musings, theories and speculations on the character's true relationships/connections/sexual orientations isn't spoilerish if it's based on what we know has already happened - up to episode 8. I don't see why those discussions and other interesting comments have to be hidden under spoiler tags. Oh well, it's up to the individual poster to decide whether what they're sharing is spoilerish or not. Obviously not everybody is going to agree on that.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 2nd, '08, 18:58

I think it'll be good if people describe what's under the spoiler tag(without giving away the spoiler of course) rather than just suddenly posting something with just a button and nothing else...^^; That way, the other people can decide whether they want to click or not. But yeah, the usage should be reasonable. Like I don't see the need to put any speculations about the baby's dad under a spoiler tag anymore. Or who's gonna die. Unless it's a fact/spoiler you found out somewhere. Speculations and own opinions about stuff that most people should already know, probably not.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jun 2nd, '08, 19:32

hanapyupyu wrote: But to still discuss the previous episodes under spoiler tags a week or more after just because some people prefer to wait for the hardsubs is a bit too much (does that mean any plot point beyond episode 6 is a spoiler since kioku hasn't released episode 7 hardsubs yet?). Also, sharing one's musings, theories and speculations on the character's true relationships/connections/sexual orientations isn't spoilerish if it's based on what we know has already happened - up to episode 8.
Everyone's got their own preferences and if somebody wants to watch the hardsubbed version, we should respect that. I agree that the whole speculation around "who's the father?" and "who's gonna die?" is something that can be discussed freely, but beyond that point, anything that has happened after episode one should be discussed with spoiler tags. We can't know for sure how far people are in watching this drama, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Tho I agree that spoiler tags should be used with consideration and not for every little thing. Still, I'm not really bothered by the amount of spoiler tags, but the fact that most of the time I don't know what's behind it.

FlyingCrispi

Post by FlyingCrispi » Jun 2nd, '08, 20:50

Hey, I was just wondering (and it doesn't seem anybody talked about it yet) about Michiru's co-worker...
What was the deal with the book she was reading? (the title wasn't translated) And in the preview, is it her with a bandage on her eye? Does that mean her boyfriend hits her too?

QNSpider

Post by QNSpider » Jun 2nd, '08, 21:12

I like your fanfiction ^Yuuki ^_^

And thanks for posting those pictures. *sighs happily* :D

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jun 2nd, '08, 21:41

FlyingCrispi wrote:Hey, I was just wondering (and it doesn't seem anybody talked about it yet) about Michiru's co-worker...
What was the deal with the book she was reading? (the title wasn't translated) And in the preview, is it her with a bandage on her eye? Does that mean her boyfriend hits her too?
the books are about DV = domestic violence. so, maybe she's facing the same problems as Michiru.. :roll

kishimoto-ruka119

Post by kishimoto-ruka119 » Jun 2nd, '08, 21:46

mysoju dont have epi 8 with subs yet
:cries:
At episode 1, someone's going to die and michiru said she betrayed ruka. Im sure ruka is not the one who is going to die..

(Taken from another forum)
I think Michiru killed Sosuke and Ruka took the blame for it.

- I think ruka is going to jail O.O

magicmusic

Post by magicmusic » Jun 3rd, '08, 01:19

kishimoto-ruka119 wrote:mysoju dont have epi 8 with subs yet
:cries:
At episode 1, someone's going to die and michiru said she betrayed ruka. Im sure ruka is not the one who is going to die..

(Taken from another forum)
I think Michiru killed Sosuke and Ruka took the blame for it.

- I think ruka is going to jail O.O
Oh, snap! I haven't heard that theory before, but it would be quite dramatic!

pessi_optimism1988

Post by pessi_optimism1988 » Jun 3rd, '08, 01:38

I've been following this thread way before the drama started airing, but I never posted any reply because a lot of people already shared my opinion.

But regarding the one who's gonna die... It might not be the person that a lot people think it will be, or HOPE it will be.. We find Takeru voicing out his thoughts in some episodes, so I think that might be a hint that he WILL NOT be the one who's going to die. Same goes for Ruka. Now, about Sosuke, it is pretty much expected that most of the audience want him to die, but considering the twists in the story, the writers usually end up delivering something beyond the audience's expectations. So, it might not even be Sosuke.

I know this is way off... But I actually think that it might be Eri... She's the least obvious candidate for the character involved in "that death" and we never did hear her narration in any of the episodes.

Is there anybody who agrees.. or KIND OF agrees with me?

ShikyoxYaiba

Post by ShikyoxYaiba » Jun 3rd, '08, 02:07

pessi_optimism1988 wrote:I've been following this thread way before the drama started airing, but I never posted any reply because a lot of people already shared my opinion.

But regarding the one who's gonna die... It might not be the person that a lot people think it will be, or HOPE it will be.. We find Takeru voicing out his thoughts in some episodes, so I think that might be a hint that he WILL NOT be the one who's going to die. Same goes for Ruka. Now, about Sosuke, it is pretty much expected that most of the audience want him to die, but considering the twists in the story, the writers usually end up delivering something beyond the audience's expectations. So, it might not even be Sosuke.

I know this is way off... But I actually think that it might be Eri... She's the least obvious candidate for the character involved in "that death" and we never did hear her narration in any of the episodes.

.____. Wow. That's actually a really good theory. It never really came to mind. But seeing in the recent episode...
how she said she hates guys like Sousuke and finds out about Ruka's gender identity disorder
...she's getting tied up in this too. I wouldn't be surprised to see her pushing away Sousuke if/when he comes back. It's not hard to imagine something happening to her in the process. And maybe thinking she caused it, Michiru runs away and...yeah. I have no idea. I kinda let my imagination run on that one. But yes, I agree...it's a reasonable theory. xD

singsing_sky

Post by singsing_sky » Jun 3rd, '08, 05:16

pessi_optimism1988 wrote:I've been following this thread way before the drama started airing, but I never posted any reply because a lot of people already shared my opinion.

I completely agree with your theory. In my opinion, Takeru will most likely survive because he's already taking a beating from Susoke in the next episode, and Ruka also paid her price for protecting Michiru with receiving the hate posters / letters. I believe as the story evolves, and with more attention finally placed on Eri, the next three episodes will play more into her constant battle with loneliness (along with her enormous self-doubt and her pessimistic view of relationships), finally showing her unfortunate consequence for standing up to Susoke.

Btw, it's nice to meet someone who's also from Vancouver that's interested in this drama! :)

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jun 3rd, '08, 05:36

^Yuuki: Yup, not only "who's going to die? or "who's the father of Michiru's baby?", speculations and one's own opinion on the nature of the character's relationships and fates shouldn't be treated as spoilers unless those speculations involve outside and/or future episodes info - eg. "Will Michiru ever get a clue about Ruka's love for her?" or "Do you want Ruka to end up with Michiru or Takeru?" "What is wrong with Sousuke?" etc. etc. Also, I think by now, discussions on Ruka being transgender/genderqueer/lesbian or plain confused isn't spoilerish anymore.
SSpiegel wrote:
hanapyupyu wrote: But to still discuss the previous episodes under spoiler tags a week or more after just because some people prefer to wait for the hardsubs is a bit too much (does that mean any plot point beyond episode 6 is a spoiler since kioku hasn't released episode 7 hardsubs yet?). Also, sharing one's musings, theories and speculations on the character's true relationships/connections/sexual orientations isn't spoilerish if it's based on what we know has already happened - up to episode 8.
Everyone's got their own preferences and if somebody wants to watch the hardsubbed version, we should respect that. I agree that the whole speculation around "who's the father?" and "who's gonna die?" is something that can be discussed freely, but beyond that point, anything that has happened after episode one should be discussed with spoiler tags. We can't know for sure how far people are in watching this drama, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Tho I agree that spoiler tags should be used with consideration and not for every little thing. Still, I'm not really bothered by the amount of spoiler tags, but the fact that most of the time I don't know what's behind it.
It's not about respecting other people's viewing preferences, but using common sense in regards to viewing/posting in a drama thread. Complaining about being spoiled about the drama while being addicted to visiting this thread is like someone visiting a waterpark and complaining that the waterpark is wet, to me. If you don't want to get wet, don't freakin stand near the pool when other people are playing splash. LoL

Anways, good that you're not bothered. Is there a rule somewhere in d-addicts that says all discussion about a drama still airing should be posted under spoiler tags? Because you speak quite authoritavely. I can understand how some drama endings are still discussed in forums around spoiler tags years after the original airdate, so that new viewers don't get spoiled about the twist on the endings. But those are usually plot-driven dramas, and I see Last Friends as more of a character-driven drama (ie. nothing much actually happens - the fascination is on finding out more about the individual characters and what makes them tick).

Okay, enough about spoiler tag topic, as I've said my view already. Back to the discusson on Last Friends.

pessi_optimism1988: About who's going to die, you might be on to something here. I speculated before that Eri might commit suicide. I still really don't think it'll be Ruka because I believe she and Michiru will meet up with each other again at the very end. It's probably Sousuke (makes most sense for him to die since he's been in a downward spiral from episode 1) but that'll be predictable. One thing we know is that Sousuke won't commit suicide.....because Michiru would be guilt-ridden and her voiceovers aren't about Sousuke. Takeru might die protecting Michiru or Ruka or even Eri's death would be more impactful then Sousuke's. (Yes, as you can see, I have NO sympathy for Sousuke's character :cussing: )

Tofuspeedstar

Post by Tofuspeedstar » Jun 3rd, '08, 05:54

I just downloaded ep. 1...about to watch it..

ponderous

Post by ponderous » Jun 3rd, '08, 06:12

After watching episode 8, the betrayal might be Michiru taking Takeru away from Ruka. There were so many poignant 1on1 scenes with Michiru and Takeru during the last few episodes. I know some people might not like it, but they comfort and understand each other so well that it'd be surprising if they don't end up together. I'm betting that Michiru will be the one that ends up healing Takeru's pain and he ends up falling for her.

rulan

Post by rulan » Jun 3rd, '08, 06:12

Tofuspeedstar wrote:I just downloaded ep. 1...about to watch it..
welcome to the addiction.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 3rd, '08, 12:45

QNSpider: Thanks. ^^ Though I'd like to hear more on what do you like about it. Since I'm new at it, any feedback would help. And it motivates me. Haha. Well, Eri should be next...=)
ponderous wrote:After watching episode 8, the betrayal might be Michiru taking Takeru away from Ruka. There were so many poignant 1on1 scenes with Michiru and Takeru during the last few episodes. I know some people might not like it, but they comfort and understand each other so well that it'd be surprising if they don't end up together. I'm betting that Michiru will be the one that ends up healing Takeru's pain and he ends up falling for her.
I think Ruka would actually be happy because Takeru is her first choice for Michiru. There's really nothing much to take away to be counted as a betrayal imho. And I really don't think they understand each other that well at all...Takeru's naturally good at comforting people and Michiru was also trying to comfort him...so... If anything, you don't just ask someone if you can fall in love with them and expects to suddenly be in love if they say yes(and Takeru hadn't. Any 'mood' was lost when he knew Ruka heard them). After that ending in ep8, if Takeru were to get together with Michiru, it would be for/because of Ruka. Takeru's feelings towards Ruka at this point is as strong as Ruka's towards Michiru. But TakeRuka's bond is definitely pretty much unbreakable now. In episode 9, Michiru would be jealous. I think the biggest betrayal, would have to be seen from Ruka's POV. Plus, someone said about the jail thing? I have to remind you that Michiru said it was the 2nd time SHE DISAPPEARED from Ruka's sight. Not the other way around. So unless it's sloppy writing, Ruka would not die or go to jail. She said in episode 8 that she plans to go overseas in half a year. From the website, the hospital is in the USA so she'll probably be there. Either for motocross or for the surgery. They'll probably keep us wondering until the last minute, if Ruka has become 'liberated'.

OH, YEAH. Nagasawa Masami, Happy Birthday~ :mrgreen: Anyone knows if she has a blog or something? Let's see if she posted any pictures with the other casts members. ^^ But shooting should be over by now I think...

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Jun 3rd, '08, 13:07

Happy birthday Masami! Here is her website but I'm not sure if it has been updated in a while. I'm not sure, a lot of the encoding is stuffing up on my browser :P

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 3rd, '08, 13:41

Yeah, doesn't seem updated. ^^;

Last Friends Another photo album has been updated~ Pictures under the spoiler tag (hanapyupyu, hope you don't mind, haha):
Droped key? Misspelling? Heheh, I wonder who's key is that.

Btw, I just read the summary for episode 10(yeah, I know we haven't even seen 9 yet...)~ Shokku!! Here's a couple more spoiler tags...yeah, these tags are essential. If you must click, just click on the good news for your own good...^_^
Good news:
Takeru seems to be fine.
Michiru finds out about Ruka's feelings for her from her own mouth...in a way...
Bad news:
Sosuke still lurks around and Ruka vows to protect Michiru with her life. (bad combo...)
Ruka gets 'outed' for her GID in the worst way.

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:03

thanx Yuuki for the photos, have been needing some of these.. it's very hard, having to wait a whole week for the next episode~ :lol
btw, i realized that there's no single photo of Nishikido Ryo in the Last Friends Another website. why?
n for the episode 10 (the good news one :P), i want to watch that scene~!!! :w00t:

p/s: Happy Birthday MASAMI~!!! :party: :clap: :cheers:

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:26

^Yuuki wrote:
Last Friends Another photo album has been updated~
Waah! How pretty was Mizukawa Asami in that last picture! She and Eita are definately my favorites of this bunch, I just wish we got to know more about her. Still, the time is limited (only 3 episodes to go :pale:) so I don't expect they'll go very deep into it. Somebody already mentioned it, it's pretty weird how they chose those five (Michiru, Ruka, Takeru, Eri and Sousuke) as the "main" cast (they are all in the opening sequence), since Sousuke has pretty much been in the story to beat up Michiru and they've just scratched the surface of Eri's solitude (was it solitude?).

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:36

^Yuuki: Anymore detail on the spoilers?? Thanks!

crisdrag

Post by crisdrag » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:42

I agree with you in everything. For me the betrayal is Michiru leaving Ruka when Ruka needed her the most. 2 more days and will see ep.9. I cannot wait! I wish it had 13 ep. this drama.
^Yuuki wrote:QNSpider: Thanks. ^^ Though I'd like to hear more on what do you like about it. Since I'm new at it, any feedback would help. And it motivates me. Haha. Well, Eri should be next...=)
ponderous wrote:After watching episode 8, the betrayal might be Michiru taking Takeru away from Ruka. There were so many poignant 1on1 scenes with Michiru and Takeru during the last few episodes. I know some people might not like it, but they comfort and understand each other so well that it'd be surprising if they don't end up together. I'm betting that Michiru will be the one that ends up healing Takeru's pain and he ends up falling for her.
I think Ruka would actually be happy because Takeru is her first choice for Michiru. There's really nothing much to take away to be counted as a betrayal imho. And I really don't think they understand each other that well at all...Takeru's naturally good at comforting people and Michiru was also trying to comfort him...so... If anything, you don't just ask someone if you can fall in love with them and expects to suddenly be in love if they say yes(and Takeru hadn't. Any 'mood' was lost when he knew Ruka heard them). After that ending in ep8, if Takeru were to get together with Michiru, it would be for/because of Ruka. Takeru's feelings towards Ruka at this point is as strong as Ruka's towards Michiru. But TakeRuka's bond is definitely pretty much unbreakable now. In episode 9, Michiru would be jealous. I think the biggest betrayal, would have to be seen from Ruka's POV. Plus, someone said about the jail thing? I have to remind you that Michiru said it was the 2nd time SHE DISAPPEARED from Ruka's sight. Not the other way around. So unless it's sloppy writing, Ruka would not die or go to jail. She said in episode 8 that she plans to go overseas in half a year. From the website, the hospital is in the USA so she'll probably be there. Either for motocross or for the surgery. They'll probably keep us wondering until the last minute, if Ruka has become 'liberated'.

OH, YEAH. Nagasawa Masami, Happy Birthday~ :mrgreen: Anyone knows if she has a blog or something? Let's see if she posted any pictures with the other casts members. ^^ But shooting should be over by now I think...

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 3rd, '08, 14:55

Yeah, I wish that ep12 earlier would come back~ >_<

Sleepyzzz: I PMed u. ^^

Actually Michiru said 2 things. One was "that incident" and the other was "that death". What I'm hoping is that the rumour I've just seen spreading in 2ch and baidu isn't true...>_< Hint: Boys Don't Cry.

rulan

Post by rulan » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:01

can't wait for the good news to happen but the bad news. i guess it's expected. last friends is full of angst and problems that seriously that's not much of a surprise to me.

chrry370

Post by chrry370 » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:07

^Yuuki : Please enlighten us more about the spoilers! I'm begging you on my knees lol :D

siutou_amy

Post by siutou_amy » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:12

singsing_sky wrote:

I completely agree with your theory. In my opinion, Takeru will most likely survive because he's already taking a beating from Susoke in the next episode, and Ruka also paid her price for protecting Michiru with receiving the hate posters / letters. I believe as the story evolves, and with more attention finally placed on Eri, the next three episodes will play more into her constant battle with loneliness (along with her enormous self-doubt and her pessimistic view of relationships), finally showing her unfortunate consequence for standing up to Susoke.

Btw, it's nice to meet someone who's also from Vancouver that's interested in this drama! :)
Noooooo!!!! She can't die! LOL' I'll cry :cry: But it makes sense, though I'm kinda disappointed that she's got a separated Eri My Love - is anyone else capturing and subbing that??? I've been dying to watch those, even if I think it's kind of a cheap cop out to develop character.

And I miss living in Vancouver. *sigh*

TokyoJuice

Post by TokyoJuice » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:52

m-ayu wrote:
TokyoJuice wrote:
Thanks for posting! :cheers:
I'm looking forward to watching this <3
Last edited by TokyoJuice on Jun 3rd, '08, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

wuff

Post by wuff » Jun 3rd, '08, 17:06

I just wanted to tell you, that my cousin has/had DV problems in the past months. Her fiancé is cruel and spends all her money (and sold her piano!) on alcohol. Now they are having a trial and their son is having a painful time. So I can't stand Sousuke's behaviour and this character. I hope all the people who have same problem, will find happiness in their life!!!

As regards to Takeru's character, tell me if there is in real life such kind man in the world and please introduce me him! :x

Sorry for being so negative right now!!!

gmak

my prediction

Post by gmak » Jun 3rd, '08, 21:10

this prediction may have already been posted but i'll chance it. here goes.
Sosuke dies. Eri and Ogurin go their separate ways. Takeru either impregnates Michiru or goes his own way. OR after getting a sex change, Ruka impregnates Michiru. pretty farfetched huh?

at any rate, i'm am truly enjoying this series. i didn't think i would in the beginning though. this drama is truly modern. it emulates current issues. a very nice change in the "usual" drama that i watch.

ShikyoxYaiba

Post by ShikyoxYaiba » Jun 3rd, '08, 23:23

^Yuuki wrote:Btw, I just read the summary for episode 10(yeah, I know we haven't even seen 9 yet...)~ Shokku!! Here's a couple more spoiler tags...yeah, these tags are essential. If you must click, just click on the good news for your own good...^_^
Good news:
Takeru seems to be fine.
Michiru finds out about Ruka's feelings for her from her own mouth...in a way...
Bad news:
Sosuke still lurks around and Ruka vows to protect Michiru with her life. (bad combo...)
Ruka gets 'outed' for her GID in the worst way.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI!!! D: Yuuk I'm PMing you for a more...elaborate explanation? T~T *is going to spoil herself crazy* xD

JikokunoShuusennin

Post by JikokunoShuusennin » Jun 3rd, '08, 23:53

At the beginning of the show, I got the feeling that Ruka would be the one to die... since Michiru and Takeru's Mental Thought Process Overdubs were about her, and things they didn't know back then.
---

But since then I've lost the ability to really predict things. (I love just being able to ENJOY a series without getting cerebral. lol)
On the other hand, I do think that Takeru is with Michiru and the Baby... but of course he is not the father (Sousuke).

But with Eri and Ogurin...
I really don't want either of them to die, but i guess it would truly be a cowards death for Ogu.
---

On a slightly related note... I just picked up Nodame Cantabile and the sheer contrast between characters for both Ueno Juri and Nagayama Eita from Nodame to Last Friends is quite amazing.

Very talented... (and yes, Juri-chan does hold a more special place in my heart.)

lol

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Jun 4th, '08, 01:03

^Yuuki: your spoilers are always more than welcome....(you know those spoiler tags just scream out "Read Me" like the forbidden fruit right? LoL.) Spoilers are a big reason why I am glued to this thread...being the incurable Spoilerholic that I am, and I know I'm not the only one!! :lol

Re: Takeru falling for Michiru and betraying Ruka. I don't think that's the direction the story is going....Takeru's love and bond with Ruka is unbreakable now, like you said. It's going to be poor writing to have Takeru's affections suddenly switch to Michiru. He does like Michiru and will protect her as a friend, but I don't see them being more than that.

Going back to what someone said earlier that it's not wrong or a cop-out for Ruka to be more than friends with Takeru, and it will not end up being the conventional boy-girl love story because Ruka really feels like a man inside (transgender), so after undergoing surgery to be a man, she can still hook up with Takeru and they can be a gay couple. Or a genderless couple coz Ruka and Takeru are as androgynous as they come (meaning they seem to have equally strong masculine and feminine traits?).....Well, it sounds improbable but still seems plausible enough an ending to me. I think this story is awesome because it shows that love can transcend genders and labelling....love is simply love. Takeru's love for Ruka is not merely of a romantic nature but that between two wounded people....yes, soulmates if you will. If it were merely the romantic man-woman love, then he'd be appalled that Ruka would want to become a man and try to change her mind. Instead, he unwaveringly supports her in whatever she decides to do. Another thought - If Ruka and Michiru end up as a couple, then Michiru would be officially bisexual, right? Ruka...I know she loves Michiru, but she seems to always be the giver in this relationship. Michiru understands nothing about Ruka. It'll be very tiring for Ruka to always play saviour to Michiru. So while I think the love Ruka has for Michiru is very believable, pure and sweet (Michiru's simpleness and naivety must be attractive to Ruka), it is too one-sided until and unless Michiru starts to grow up and be responsible for herself (maybe having a baby will be her wake-up call). Right now her relationship with Ruka borders on desperate emotional co-dependancy.

sarah1117: Ryo's pictures aren't on the official website because his management doesn't allow it. Johny Entertainment (JE) boys pictures are forbidden from being used for publicity, except by JE themselves (same thing happened for Matsumoto Jun and HYD. His pictures were conspicously missing from all the HYD promo material. lol, it's a silly policy if you ask me)

Another theory about Takeru's skeletions in his closet - it's been heavily alluded to that his sister sexually molested him during his childhood. That's terrible in itself, but what it if went further than that? :blink Judging from his extreme horror and fear each time he sees his onni-chan and hears her voice.....could it be something more, that Takeru just cannot get over? Could his sister's child be fathered by him? It's almost too gross to consider. Poor Takeru. I hope the writers won't be that cruel to him.
Last edited by hanapyupyu on Jun 4th, '08, 01:13, edited 3 times in total.

hanapyupyu

Re: my prediction

Post by hanapyupyu » Jun 4th, '08, 01:07

gmak wrote:this prediction may have already been posted but i'll chance it. here goes.
Sosuke dies. Eri and Ogurin go their separate ways. Takeru either impregnates Michiru or goes his own way. OR after getting a sex change, Ruka impregnates Michiru. pretty farfetched huh?

at any rate, i'm am truly enjoying this series. i didn't think i would in the beginning though. this drama is truly modern. it emulates current issues. a very nice change in the "usual" drama that i watch.
You're joking right? Lol...even after a sex change, it won't be possible for Ruka to impregnate Michiru.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 4th, '08, 02:33

JikokunoShuusennin wrote:On a slightly related note... I just picked up Nodame Cantabile and the sheer contrast between characters for both Ueno Juri and Nagayama Eita from Nodame to Last Friends is quite amazing.

Very talented... (and yes, Juri-chan does hold a more special place in my heart.)
Extremely talented. :wub:

The way she can disappear into a role and make it her own is just incredible. :thumleft:

rulan

Re: my prediction

Post by rulan » Jun 4th, '08, 02:39

hanapyupyu wrote:
gmak wrote:this prediction may have already been posted but i'll chance it. here goes.

You're joking right? Lol...even after a sex change, it won't be possible for Ruka to impregnate Michiru.
hehe strangely i've heard of that speculation before somewhere. i mean seriously there is just no way for ruka to impregnate michiru. sex change can only change the physical aspect of a person. i mean if it was true the value of a guy's sperm would go downhill.

2muchsoda

Post by 2muchsoda » Jun 4th, '08, 04:47

i wonder when ep9 will come out... argh!! can't wait!!!

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 4th, '08, 05:07

2muchsoda wrote:i wonder when ep9 will come out... argh!! can't wait!!!
it airs on Thursday 10pm in Japan (if i'm not wrong) so maybe saturday...we'll be able to get the raw version :thumright:

BTW, this is my first post, I've been following this thread for weeks, ever since i begin watching LF, can't resist to post and join in the discussion :lol

I just wanna say that i LOVE this drama a lot, and actually i was lured into it becoz of Ryo at first, that was before i watch Nodame cantabile and found out that Juri,Eita and Asami all three are again in the same drama together. what a great group of casts! I thought.And i like the fact that Juri is playing a totally different chracter than her nodame last time. :salut: for her to take this challenging role of Ruka. And also to my 2nd fav character, Eita, you ROCK as Takeru! such a sweet guy...

Oh, and the MentoreG show i watched it but i have no idea wat they're talking bout, so i REALLY HOPE someone can sub it, or soft sub, or even for those who understands Japanese, please give us more info. Coz it looks insteresting the way they were talking bout their past, especially Juri's part. she spoke quite a lot there. I only get the birthday thing-->Eita and Juri are like 12 years younger than the two TOKIO guys. Eita's sign is Dog in the *chinese calender i think*

I know my post is long haha but since it's my first, i just wanna pour my thoughts out. :P

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 4th, '08, 05:08

Uh, not until Thursday. :mrgreen:

2muchsoda

Post by 2muchsoda » Jun 4th, '08, 05:19

avieamber wrote:
it airs on Thursday 10pm in Japan (if i'm not wrong) so maybe saturday...we'll be able to get the raw version :thumright:

BTW, this is my first post, I've been following this thread for weeks, ever since i begin watching LF, can't resist to post and join in the discussion :lol

I just wanna say that i LOVE this drama a lot, and actually i was lured into it becoz of Ryo at first, that was before i watch Nodame cantabile and found out that Juri,Eita and Asami all three are again in the same drama together. what a great group of casts! I thought.And i like the fact that Juri is playing a totally different chracter than her nodame last time. :salut: for her to take this challenging role of Ruka. And also to my 2nd fav character, Eita, you ROCK as Takeru! such a sweet guy...

Oh, and the MentoreG show i watched it but i have no idea wat they're talking bout, so i REALLY HOPE someone can sub it, or soft sub, or even for those who understands Japanese, please give us more info. Coz it looks insteresting the way they were talking bout their past, especially Juri's part. she spoke quite a lot there. I only get the birthday thing-->Eita and Juri are like 12 years younger than the two TOKIO guys. Eita's sign is Dog in the *chinese calender i think*

I know my post is long haha but since it's my first, i just wanna pour my thoughts out. :P
thanks for your info. yeah, in this series ueno juri is a very great actress! I loved her hair..so cute! i kinda watched her in Nodame Cantablie, Engine, and her movie Rainbow song, all acts are totally different in each dramas. Masami Nagasawa plays her very best act and makes me wonder who going to win her? Sosuke or ruka or she rather choose Takeru? This series is very interesting mixed plot of drama. Thanks to the director and all peers! :salut:

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Jun 4th, '08, 07:06

Greetings....to new folks and peeps since the beginning (ep 1)!!!

It took me roughly 2 hours to read this discussion since page 83...sorry I guess I am a slow reader. But all this talk about the relationship combos has gots me thinking...

Yes, it does seem like the Ruka and Michiru relationship is going "downhill" thanks to Mr. Takeru stealing the show and swaying the heart paths. Rather than seeing the RukaxMichiru thing...I'd like to think that it's a strong bond called sisterhood. It's somewhat platonic and they've been through thick and thin through the years. Sure, the different aspects of love discussed by the show's characters and everyone here are very plausible, but IMHO this love is that of a sisterhood/family relationship strongly executed on the external side from Michiru's POV and internally through Ruka's POV. Why else would she hurtfully encourage Takeru and Michiru to draw together. Ruka wants what is best and comfortable for Michiru. Because this drama isn't really centered on "lesbian"/"transgendered" love, but a friendship and bond, hence the title "Last Friends."

Okay I must sound like a broken record now.

*please don't attack me* I'll just go back to my little cup obsessed world.

In that case. WOW talk about a nice angle on the cups for episode 8. My interpretation on the glance:

Ruka knows how special the cups mean to Takeru and she stares at it knowing how painful it would be for Takeru to not see the happy family of cups together. And more so because she's eyeing it because it's HERs (jk jk jk jk). But like I said each cup represents each person and I think at that moment in her life she was thinking about Takeru, but I love how the camera angle still gave some screen time for Michiru's cup saying that she is still in the picture ;)

As for the "DEATH": I have my pick on Eri....that's when she shall obtain her solitude. In the end of this drama, everyone will meet their word and come face to face with it. OR Ogurin...he's not very important at all...except being a pansy and flaky person who comes and goes as he is. He's gone to me :P

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Jun 4th, '08, 11:43

avieamber: Welcome. ^^ About MentoreG, any particular parts you really wanna know? I might be able to explain some. Just don't say all. Haha.
hanapyupyu wrote: Ruka...I know she loves Michiru, but she seems to always be the giver in this relationship. Michiru understands nothing about Ruka. It'll be very tiring for Ruka to always play saviour to Michiru. So while I think the love Ruka has for Michiru is very believable, pure and sweet (Michiru's simpleness and naivety must be attractive to Ruka), it is too one-sided until and unless Michiru starts to grow up and be responsible for herself (maybe having a baby will be her wake-up call). Right now her relationship with Ruka borders on desperate emotional co-dependancy.
I think your thoughts on Michiru is true...if/as long as she stays oblivious to Ruka's feelings. When she knows AND can accept, then it'll be different. If you ask me, I don't think the current Michiru deserves Ruka. Haha, that's my frustrations for Ruka speaking. But the Michiru speaking from the future, ("the mother than can treasure life" as Masami Nagasawa puts it), I think I'll root for them. ^^

zeiroc: Aha, so who are the 'Last Friends'? Assuming it means Michiru's friends, it's plural so it should be more than 1 person. Else it would be Last Friend...And talking about cups, did anyone watch MentoreG? They're giving away Ruka, Masami and Eita's mug cup(each signed by Juri, Masami and Eita)! Gyah~

I think "the incident" would be something that happens to Ruka while "the death" would be Sosuke. As for Eri, if she dies, means there won't be Eri~My Love episode after the finale? Or will she come back as a ghost? Haha. It'll be totally tragic.

Oh yeah, someone leaked that they saw Ueno Juri filming a scene by the sea...dare we hope? :mrgreen: