Proud or embarrassed at your addiction to Drama?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Junfan21

Post by Junfan21 » Nov 26th, '06, 03:42

I'm proud, actually, my parents and my aunt and uncle like the dramas too ^-^
Especially one of my cousin, I was just down to visit, and I started to watch Nobuta wo Produce, and my cousin was there too, and she just loves that drama! She kept telling me to bring it next time I come and visit her ^-^

sungie

Post by sungie » Nov 27th, '06, 10:05

Well the first thing I say is not "watching k-dramas" or something. That's 'cause most people so far have found it very strange, and I don't wanna explain why Iike Asian dramas etc etc :lol

MaliciousKitty

Post by MaliciousKitty » Nov 28th, '06, 18:35

I'm not proud or embarrassed - but I'm also not addicted to dramas. I just watch them every once in awhile when I'm bored.

I don't go around telling everyone, but if it comes up in some convo (like..what shows I like or something) I'll mention that I watch J-dramas.

Sometimes I'll get weird looks until I explain that Japanese is my major, and a lot of the shows can be pretty good, just in a different language.

And then I usually get the "Ah, thats cool." response.

Akumi

Post by Akumi » Nov 29th, '06, 16:24

I'm proud of it, but I don't go around telling people. The only people I really tell about my addiction to Asian dramas are people who are also interested in Asian entertainment.

I live in SC, and let's just say, the closest thing to anyone liking Asian entertainment are those who are into Anime, and even then, they're skeptical and critical of Asian dramas (Who knows why, considering a lot of dramas ARE from manga/anime. Its a shame.) I hate explaning the difference between American soap operas (I almost spelled soup...) and Asian dramas to people-- they're too persistant in combining the two, that Ive given up really. They have no idea about the difference and how Asian dramas are a whole lot better. Oh well.

Sadly, my sister's like them (except she thinks anime is silly too) and hates the fact it's subtitled, and refuses to watch it. My mom...on the other hand, would probably really, really love certain Kdramas. I should really give her a copy one day.

halalsushi

Post by halalsushi » Nov 30th, '06, 12:24

Man, who gives a f***? Go shove a drama up your ass, you dirty homosexual.

ranmasama

Post by ranmasama » Nov 30th, '06, 22:13

So,......is this guy banned yet?

Anyway, if people ask what I do during free time, I say games, tv, and jdramas. Not that people ask me tho :pale:

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 30th, '06, 22:16

I think that maybe someone hacked the account. I've read a number of halal's posts before and he was never like that. He was actually very religious and told people to be honorable and not flash their boobies. :lol

YuInSoo

Post by YuInSoo » Nov 30th, '06, 22:24

wel.. if people ask me what i do on my spare time...
i answer tons of other things first..
cuz frankly i do tons of other things besides watching drama...
eg: i play soccer, go karaoke, eat~, tourism in my own city~ watch korean tv shows (ya shim man man, x man, jin sil game, 웃찾사), play computer games...
and then.. i guess there's some space for Kdramas,,, which i share with Bleach and Naruto..

but if i'm asked i have no reason to hide it... i dont feel ashamed..
On the contrary, i feel proud of it.. I LOVE MISA~~ lol.
and Kim Sam Soon..
korean culture is part of me u know.... since im korean... :)

jade109

Post by jade109 » Nov 30th, '06, 23:00

If people ask, I would tell them I love to watch dramas/anime. I even watch them with my sorority sisters!! We love watching them =]

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Dec 2nd, '06, 06:37

Addiction to animes and dramas, Haha. I proudly say it when people do ask what you like to do. Well you can tell how addicted I am to them by visiting my site. Oh mangas are very addicting too. I hardly watch TV in my pasttime anymore, but watch or read stuff on my computer. :lol Probably getting more blind by looking at the computer too much.

Some people may not understand watching dramas with subtitles (especially my bro) because Americans are lazy that way. But I admit, Asian dramas are a lot better than soap operas which keeps going and going and going...you get my point.

Miss World

Post by Miss World » Dec 5th, '06, 08:12

I'm suer extra prouuuuud ^_^
It really doesn't matter to me what people think.. some of my friends tell me "grow up girl! you are 26 now" .. but I wouldn't give up my addiction of jdoramas for anything ^_^ to me, if they are real friends, they'd accept my interests no matter what they are! I've dragged my sister into my dorama world, hehe now she's hooked too :)

PJB

Post by PJB » Dec 9th, '06, 19:45

Proud, but when I say I want to visit that country, my parents talk very very down to me saying I shouldn't judge based on what I see on TV. LOL. I'm 22, not a child, I know what the real world is like and I can make my own decisions about what I do and feel in life. and then I get very pissed because of them... it's like I can't even take a holiday without being questioned 1000 times. It's not that I mind, but it's their tone... it really hurts me :(

kstar

Post by kstar » Dec 9th, '06, 19:47

I tell people proudly and I try to get them hooked as well!! SHARE THE ASIAN DRAMA LOVE!!!

newersumm

Post by newersumm » Dec 12th, '06, 13:52

PJB wrote:Proud, but when I say I want to visit that country, my parents talk very very down to me saying I shouldn't judge based on what I see on TV. LOL. I'm 22, not a child, I know what the real world is like and I can make my own decisions about what I do and feel in life. and then I get very pissed because of them... it's like I can't even take a holiday without being questioned 1000 times. It's not that I mind, but it's their tone... it really hurts me :(
hehehe, this sounds really familiar to me :glare:
I have the same "problem" : /

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Dec 28th, '06, 06:48

I'm proud of my addiction. My family thinks it's a waste and that I shouldn't be into so many Asian things....(since I'm not Asian) but I don't care. Plus, watching J-Doramas has helped with my Japanese self-study.

marie_23

Post by marie_23 » Dec 28th, '06, 16:32

garnet07 wrote:Addiction to animes and dramas, Haha. I proudly say it when people do ask what you like to do. Well you can tell how addicted I am to them by visiting my site. Oh mangas are very addicting too. I hardly watch TV in my pasttime anymore, but watch or read stuff on my computer. :lol Probably getting more blind by looking at the computer too much.

Some people may not understand watching dramas with subtitles (especially my bro) because Americans are lazy that way. But I admit, Asian dramas are a lot better than soap operas which keeps going and going and going...you get my point.
We think alike when it comes to dramas :D ...I also watch little american tv now days...I started off reading Manga and found it so interesting that I moved on to watching dramas based on the manga and from their I was hooked to asian dramas period...I have never liked american dramas they keep the same character going on forever and ever only changing actors and also the storylines are pretty bad...I prefer asian dramas and enjoy reading the subtitles...However, my friends hate reading anything with subtitles...

blamvitaburst

Post by blamvitaburst » Dec 28th, '06, 16:55

My friends and family basically believe that I'm just into the Asian equivalent of daytime soap operas and that I can't tell the acting sucks because it's in another language. :roll But then I'm a huge Bollywood junkie too, so maybe they're on to something. I just know that these are the genres that I enjoy the most at this stage in my life. Also, commercials have a debilitating effect on my mental health so I try to avoid them at all costs!
I tell people of my interest, though, and they are usually pretty affectionate about it (just another cutely weird quirk for a weird girl, I guess!) when they don't make fun of me for watching "Asian soaps."
But yeah, being into Anime was usually a shameful secret back in the day (oh high school shames :P). You just can't compare the two, though. Anime watchers are pushing vast stretches of emotion onto pictures with very few facial features and very little reality (in the sense that they barely resemble humans). That's pretty hardcore of a mind-bender and it gives me mini headaches to try doing it these days. I can't usually stand anime anymore because of that unless it has the greatest and most unique storyline ever. :pale:

Enki

Post by Enki » Dec 31st, '06, 05:00

Not embarassed or proud, it's just one of my hobbies like all others. But I don't go around talking to people about it unless they're interested. Only time I'd go in depth about dramas with people is if they like it too, or show interest. But that's the same with my other hobbies. Why chew people's ears off about subjects they don't know/aren't interested in?

Surprisingly, I got the most flack for liking drama from hardcore otaku who only watch anime (I don't watch anime) who think dramas are just inferior "live action" versions of their oh so precious anime :glare:

akamaru

Post by akamaru » Dec 31st, '06, 06:53

not really proud but asian dramas are one of my interests...here in our country,lots of kdramas are being shown.there are also a few jdramas..i only talk about asian dramas to my friends who are also interested in them... :D

Oguri_Shun_fan

Post by Oguri_Shun_fan » Dec 31st, '06, 07:01

I admit I watch Asian dramas and my friends are like "ok whatever you want to do with your time is cool by us" but the best part is when the international students from China, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea that live in the same dormitory as me see an American such as myself watching an Asian drama ,they find it so fascinating that someone outside of their culture knows of and enjoys watching dramas. I've even watched some Korean dramas with the Korean students ^_^

angeli_kpop

Post by angeli_kpop » Dec 31st, '06, 07:16

I'm definitely PROUD of my addiction to K-dramas!!!
I'm not ashamed to say it to my friends or to anybody,in general...
In fact,I introduce my friends to the wonderful world of Kdramas!!! :)
Kdramas rock!!! <3

arabian

Post by arabian » Dec 31st, '06, 07:48

I don't have to be embarresed about something i like it..

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Dec 31st, '06, 23:17

Néa Vanille wrote: As for my mother, she thinks it's weird, but she's gotten used to seeing 'Chinese people' on my PC screen whenever she walks into my room.

My parents get annoyed when they see 'Chinese People' on the T.V. screen, much more my computer...I just try to ignore their complaints. :glare:

greenlogic

Post by greenlogic » Jan 1st, '07, 01:07

Hmm don't know if I am really ashamed or proud of my asian drama hobby... Well my little bros who never watches them think I am wierd, but my parents and older brother and sister think it is normal. I find it a rarity to find another who actually likes to watch asian drama... I go to school a seem to lead a double life... When I am bored and have spare time I watch them for fun. Although usually during the school year I never watch them because i do not have time.

anoney

Post by anoney » Jan 1st, '07, 01:12

I don't feel proud or ashamed of watching JDramas.

I have to admit, the main reason I watch them is for the listening aspect of learning Japanese. If they were English dramas I can't imagine watching them at all, many of the storylines are clichéd and much of the acting is pretty poor.

hamstaball

Post by hamstaball » Jan 1st, '07, 01:15

Hmm don't know if I am really ashamed or proud of my asian drama hobby... Well my little bros who never watches them think I am wierd, but my parents and older brother and sister think it is normal. I find it a rarity to find another who actually likes to watch asian drama... I go to school a seem to lead a double life... When I am bored and have spare time I watch them for fun. Although usually during the school year I never watch them because i do not have time.
^ yeah that sounds like me.. except theres no little bro to say i'm weird
my family watches dramas on and off so they dont have a problem with it
however some of my friends think i'm too asian.. haha
they just assume i'm obsessed with anything japanese :glare: :lol

getsuga

Post by getsuga » Jan 1st, '07, 01:27

I do not have to be either proud or embarrassed. Standing on the fence. :)

heerowing

Post by heerowing » Jan 1st, '07, 01:30

what there to be embarrass about? "that my hobby so like it or not it is be, part of me!" i would proudly say.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
by the way Happy New Year

getsuga

Post by getsuga » Jan 1st, '07, 01:34

heerowing wrote:what there to be embarrass about? "that my hobby so like it or not it is be, part of me!" i would proudly say.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
by the way Happy New Year
Hahah, yeah you are right.

Moriya

Post by Moriya » Jan 2nd, '07, 23:23

:cheers:

Proud to be Asian.

:thumleft: :thumright:

ivane

Post by ivane » Jan 3rd, '07, 18:56

Proud!!! I'm very fortunate to be in a country where this kind of addiction is the in thing nowadays. Although, I must say that I feel embarrassed whenever I'm around people with the same addiction. I wasn't really much of a fan of Asian dramas till two weeks ago when I started watching Goong (Did I spell it right?). It's really embarrassing to say that you're a drama addict and yet, you can't participate in conversations under this topic because you don't know much!

terasu

Post by terasu » Jan 12th, '07, 19:42

oh no way baby!!! :roll im not addicted to dramas! its just some refreshing entertainment. that's all! 8)

Isabelck

Post by Isabelck » Feb 2nd, '07, 19:36

Not proud, but not nearly embarassed about it as much as I am about the anime. I think it has to do with the amount of time I spent on each... Doramas actually take up less time for me because there are fewer I watch. I have a bit of an outside life still, and its easy to say it helps me study and is a better replacement for Who wants to be a Millionaire kinda shows...
But I still get made fun of because I currently tend to forget English at times and respond in Japanese to even my family. Its just habit after 6 hours of Japanese classes a day, and then friends from class want to practice as much as possible... switching to English has become difficult at times. Scary huh?

EleKYAH

Post by EleKYAH » Feb 2nd, '07, 21:50

Proud, of course, cos in my opinion any of the spanish/latin series (named "culebrones"), any english serie or any hollywood film can provoke the shock of feelings that azn doramas provoke to me. Easy. And every1 i know has the enough culture for dont talk about it without know it.

getsuga

Post by getsuga » Feb 3rd, '07, 00:13

Spanish.. is there a drama called "esmeralda" there?

TatteredCrimson

Post by TatteredCrimson » Feb 4th, '07, 04:18

Hah. I proudly say that I watch anime. And I proudly say that I watch dramas. One of my classmates asked me if I work because I told him that all I do is watch as many dramas as possible in order to learn Japanese faster. But, come on; we all know that night was invented to give us addicted drama lovers time to download/watch as many dramas as possible.

QNSpider

Post by QNSpider » Feb 4th, '07, 20:10

I am not ashamed of my "addiction". I like to blast Asian music in my car stereo and I like to see the faces of people passing by wondering what I'm listening to. I also love to see the look on a family members face when they see me keenly watching an intense drama. That's how I usually "semi-convert" them. :lol

wnndy

Post by wnndy » Feb 4th, '07, 20:28

hm..neither proud..also nor embarrassed...
Last edited by wnndy on Feb 4th, '07, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

nicebeet

Post by nicebeet » Feb 4th, '07, 20:37

omgLOL actually, yeah, watching dramas has really consumed my life with a drastic addiction problem. my friend stopped hanging out with me more often because when she would come over, all i did was watch dramas and she was like WTFLETSDOSOMETHING! and i was like HOLDUPWOMANI'MWATCHINGMYSHOWS but then she really started to like nodamecantabile but thats like the only one she watched with me. lol but now i'm actually trying to not watch as many dramas anymore because i've come to realize that i have a lot of other things to do.

i used to watch alot of anime when i was younger but i would never tell anybody other than people online lol because really, when i met people that watched anime, they were really obsessive and proud and i didn't want to seem like i was like that, but inside, i was really addicted. my family hates it becaues it makes it seem like i'm lazy, but i only watch dramas on the weekend or on long school breaks.

it's hard to break the addiction because it increases the dopamine tranfer in your brain. you just have to wait until it habituates when you watch a drama that is similar to the one you watched before and you're like OMGOKAYTHISISLAMEIALREADYSAWSOMETHINGLIKETHIS. and then you just get over it.

as for my resume lol i used to put "avid fan of harry potter" on it and i still got the job, so it's all good. i wouldn't say i'm addicted, anymore, but if people asked me, i would tell them that i watch asian movies because i've been watching asian movies since i was young. no big deal. only ignorant people have issues with it.

really, i'm thinking that i need to hang out with my friends more and create my own drama. you know what i'm saying? get off daddicts and go do something, don't let dramas consume your life. you need get a drama-patch.

CreaMy_StarBucKs

Post by CreaMy_StarBucKs » Feb 4th, '07, 20:54

I actually don't care what people say about me. I love to watch dramas even on the weekends when I'm suppose to relax or go hang out with people. My friends always say, "if they were me, they'll be bored to death already."

I grew up watching dramas and I'm not about to stop watching them without a fight! :P

stars*in*my*eyes

Post by stars*in*my*eyes » Feb 4th, '07, 20:55

i am most definitely NOT embarrassed. Everyone knows my addiction. No need to be ashamed. 8)

Vanilla_Spider__x

Post by Vanilla_Spider__x » Feb 4th, '07, 21:02

I'm very proud of my addiction~ xD I'd shout it from the roof tops if asked. ^^
I use keep my anime and yaoi addiction to myself for years, then I finally started talking about it and I enjoyed anime much more that way. xD So I'd rather not be forced "in the closet" about my drama addiction. Even I do get called an "azn wannabe". >__<;

short cake

Post by short cake » Feb 7th, '07, 14:00

its okay with me , its just i cant share with everyone here hahah

I dont think its embracement or shamfully feeling . we came here - fourm - so that we can share with same ppl who have the same ADDITCTION hahah

neuhikari

Post by neuhikari » May 4th, '08, 10:10

i always been proud that I'm watching anime rather than spidermen or x-men or batman. After I started to watch dramas I'm still proud about it even when I'm school when I'm looking at some photos some of my classmates makes fun of me but I don't care about it. so in the end I'm proud.

madrias

Post by madrias » May 4th, '08, 10:34

i'm not embarassed about my drama addiction. on the other hand, i don't impose it on my firiends. my friends make fun of me good-naturedly. they still love me... i think. hehehehe. i guess i'm just individualistic. i always go my way in terms of interests and hobbies. i'm lucky to have friends who support my way of life. they're used to me going on my own. :)

Nonbirira

Post by Nonbirira » May 4th, '08, 11:02

Hmm... Not really embarrassed but I don't say that I watch Korean dramas too loudly here in Japan. The stereotype here is that they are mostly romantic melodrama and that only older ladies/housewives watch them. If I do mention it, most people will say "Oh, I don't watch them but my mom/grandmother/aunt does..." As for in Canada, where I'm originally from, no one I know has an inkling that Korean dramas even exist so talking about them just results in blank looks...

N-chan

Post by N-chan » May 4th, '08, 14:17

I am not embarassed at all by my addiction to drama

In fact, i am proud to be watching dramas than hanging out with friends

Tomi

Post by Tomi » May 5th, '08, 14:39

I'm not embarrassed at all of my addiction. I have one other friend at school who is addicted as well and she translates for Solofansubs. When we found out that we both watch doramas, we were both so excited we talked on and on about it and eventually everyone overheard and just thought our addiction was funny.

sexy_kakashi

Post by sexy_kakashi » May 5th, '08, 14:43

i am very very proud of my addiction =^v^=
seems like i've managed to 'convert' a few of my friends into my quirky world as well, yea~

honeyiceblend

Post by honeyiceblend » May 5th, '08, 14:50

Lol. I didn't thought of being embarrassed or being proud of watching dramas.

But come to think of it, I guess I'm very very proud of my addiction like sexy_kakashi. Cause most of my blog posts are about me finished watching one drama or starting another. LOL.

Karate-ka

Post by Karate-ka » May 5th, '08, 14:51

I am the proud one

Vanilla_Spider__x

Post by Vanilla_Spider__x » May 20th, '08, 21:33

I am extremely proud of it. :D
Everyone who knows the slightest thing about me knows I'm a total drama addict.
I keep hoping to come across another d-addict from around here so we can watch drama together. Or, at least someone who can put up with me watching drama and doing my commentary at the screen as though they can hear me. >>;

tmjr2006

Post by tmjr2006 » May 20th, '08, 22:14

i am proud about the fact i watch drama's J-K-T and even proud about J-Animes i dont care who knows it im not shy to say what im watching i dont care who knows it :)

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » May 20th, '08, 22:21

I'm neither. Though almost everyone I know knows I'm into various Asian stuff, everytime I talk about them (anime, dramas, music, variety shows), no one's interested. :) So, there's nothing to be embarrassed about, but it's nothing cool either.

(my boyfriend is sometimes weirded out by my addiction, tho, since I seem to spend more time with dramas than him :D)

Rori

Post by Rori » May 20th, '08, 22:27

SSpiegel wrote:I'm neither. Though almost everyone I know knows I'm into various Asian stuff, everytime I talk about them (anime, dramas, music, variety shows), no one's interested. :) So, there's nothing to be embarrassed about, but it's nothing cool either.
Indeed.

The only people who know about my addiction are family, and the only thing they're bothered by is how loud I have the volume sometimes. :lol

greenrocks

Post by greenrocks » May 20th, '08, 22:58

I still have got a lot of things I want to fulfill in my life but watching a drama is just something to spare once in a while. I wouldn't say I am proud nor am I also embarrassed but yes I DO enjoy watching dramas to no end. :thumright:

akiko-chico

Post by akiko-chico » May 21st, '08, 00:08

Why would you be embarrassed to admit you watch dramas? Dramas are dramas, most of the time I watch because I have nothin better to do haha :thumright:

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » May 21st, '08, 03:34

just a bit... along with my anime and asian music addiction. I'm actually more embarrassed about how little I keep up with the western entertainment :/ I used to be so into the american pop culture and I've fallen so much :lol

Fathiya

Post by Fathiya » May 22nd, '08, 18:28

Whats there to be embarrassed about? all my friends know that i am anime/manga fanatic and now I have added drama :D

choppstixx860

Post by choppstixx860 » May 22nd, '08, 18:37

no reason for me to be embarrassed, I'm very proud I'm addicted =D

McYume

Post by McYume » May 22nd, '08, 19:09

Sometimes I'm kind of embarrassed, like when my friends asks: and what did you do the weekend?.. and to answer hmm nothing much, I just watched dramas...That can be a little embarrassing! And when my brother teases me, that how much series have I seen..that too... So I'm not that proud, but just because of this "little" thing I wont give up my addiction to dramas/animes/mangas!:)
(Besides it's much more healthier than smoking, drugs, etc...:P)

skya15

Post by skya15 » May 22nd, '08, 19:31

I got over the embarrassment when I was younger because of my addiction to romance novels ( currently vampire romance), but I'm also addicted to Anime, Mangas and Dramas - Family and Friends are used to it. But its kinda lonely because I'm the only one I know who is addicted to Asian Drama's. I'm Nigerian and we have our own Nigerian Movie/Drama industry and that what all my friends and family and most Africans watch, they don't under stand the Asian thing and they are too lazy to read subtitles. --So Sad, I think they are missing out.

pow155

Post by pow155 » May 22nd, '08, 20:22

Drama has ruined my life. I failed some exams because I was too into a series to stop watching and go to class.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 22nd, '08, 21:59

lol...at least tell us which drama

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » May 23rd, '08, 05:59

pow155 wrote:Drama has ruined my life. I failed some exams because I was too into a series to stop watching and go to class.
lol. This happens to me all the time. I try to tell myself not to watch anything before I've studied for my upcoming exams, but then I always get hung up on something and ditch the exam.

Drama has totally ruined my life. :)

Oguri_Shun_fan

Post by Oguri_Shun_fan » May 23rd, '08, 06:20

SSpiegel wrote:
pow155 wrote:Drama has ruined my life. I failed some exams because I was too into a series to stop watching and go to class.
lol. This happens to me all the time. I try to tell myself not to watch anything before I've studied for my upcoming exams, but then I always get hung up on something and ditch the exam.

Drama has totally ruined my life. :)
lol same for me I just wouldn't say it ruined my life it's kinda just put a hindrance on my learning for my degree cause I still learn things and going to school is all about learning things right. I just don't learn anything that will help me in my classes lol...so it's just a hindrance :lol

pow155

Post by pow155 » May 23rd, '08, 17:59

ruisu wrote:lol...at least tell us which drama
It was Full House...

minamichan03

hmm.. mixture i guess?

Post by minamichan03 » May 24th, '08, 02:06

well... if they ask,what are my hobbies, i tend to say "watching jdramas".. somewhat embarassed in a way that they wouldn't know the feeling of how good it is to watch this but on the other side,they also understand me because i'm a japanese...

but hey,this is our style and we love this... we might get embarassed a litle bit,but this is what we love... :)

miiz

Post by miiz » May 25th, '08, 05:04

at lease the dramas are only 10 eps or so and not like 7 seasons =P

umm I started watching them only last year and I was embarassed a bit at first cuz their romance was cheese to the core and japanese culture is really different but I fell in love with it so much everyone knows now that im hardcore jdrama lover <3

Rajibu

Post by Rajibu » May 31st, '08, 16:02

Well...I'm not embarrassed to tell people I watch drama, because most people are kinda scared of me xD

When I started to jpop, people made a lot of fun of me...I just let it slip pass me and just try to ignore, but at one point it gets to much, so I beat the ^#$@ out of a couple of guys.
Ever since people are just trying to be my friend XD

Don't misunderstand, I'm not violent... :lol

KaliC007

Post by KaliC007 » Jun 5th, '08, 21:38

I am not embarrassed. I tell my friends that should be more open minded to different cultures. I find it so amazing how different cultures think. I love the diversity of the world. If we were all the same then there would be no reason to communicate or to be curious about one another. If I can get a little piece of some ones culture through television then that that is what i will do. Having a drama addiction is the best thing that has happened to me. He he he. Hey i got my mom and sisters into them too. My mom is worse than me. ha ha ha. :lol

Marieluna

Post by Marieluna » Jun 5th, '08, 22:00

I never been embarrassed since I been an addict of asian culture since I was a kid =P and everybody knows I like it and watch it and dont understand it lol unless it has subs ;)

No one should be ashamed of their likes, thats what makes u!!! Been urself its what counts :thumright:

avieamber
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by avieamber » Jun 18th, '08, 06:04

why should we be embarrassed for watching dramas/anime?

I actually learn a lot like sharpening my Japanese skills, learn new cultures, and i don't speak Cantonese at all (coz i'm from East Msia whereas West Malaysians do) and i learn canto from watching all those HK dramas. So now i can speak (maybe not as fluent but hey, i can understand and speak so that's good for sth i never grew up with).

so i can't say i'm embarrassed. either way, i'm not exactly THAT PROUD...coz sometimes i get too addicted with certain dramas till i tend to neglect stuffs...but still i won't keep it a secret so if anyone asks, i'll tell them how much i LOVE watching Jdramas/Cdramas/ or english ones too. :thumright:

liveitup

Re: hmm.. mixture i guess?

Post by liveitup » Jun 18th, '08, 06:29

minamichan03 wrote:well... if they ask,what are my hobbies, i tend to say "watching jdramas".. somewhat embarassed in a way that they wouldn't know the feeling of how good it is to watch this but on the other side,they also understand me because i'm a japanese...

but hey,this is our style and we love this... we might get embarassed a litle bit,but this is what we love... :)
haha. yeah when groups or interviewers ask me my hobby, i try to think of something else to say. but actually all i do is watch dramas! cause many american people dont understand how good asian dramas are. i hate when people assume asian dramas are like american soap operas. but they're totally not! omgosh. so i say i love asian dramas and i try to hook them on it too. to get them on my side. haha. but as soon as they've watched one they get addicted also :]

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 19th, '08, 15:31

I proudly say it. Well my older relatives don't get why I watch dramas that are in other languages with subs. They probably hate the fact that you have to read subs just to watch something and they are kind of slow in that department :lol . But for those who are not lazy and like addicting dramas, I pretty much am trying to convert everyone of my cousins and siblings to become addicted as well. I converted my younger brother as a total addict to anime and showing him Jdoramas because they are the closest to anime. When he rarely watches korean, it tends to be the comedies. My mom got addicted as well. When she has free time from work, she would always call me out to watch what's latest on my list.

As for my cousins, at first they couldn't comprehend why I have so many burned CDs stored on my room and I tell them I download more than I watch. :crazy: Then I showed them the light ones first like My Girl, Gokusen and Full House, they became entranced by it. Well I'm pretty much their connection to outside US media. :whistling:

I hardly watch American shows anymore because they tend to be annoying and mind meltdown. I mean their pretty much crap. I think the only ones I watch are those reality shows on Bravo like Top Chef or something on Disney Channel. As for American movies, I download the older ones or go to the theaters for the ones I really want to watch.