[Discussion] Osen - Aoi Yu and Uchi Hiroki

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
marienella_m

[Discussion] Osen - Aoi Yu and Uchi Hiroki

Post by marienella_m » Feb 25th, '08, 20:23

http://p.pita.st/?m=q6llrxxc
http://p.pita.st/?m=xdaxvdmt

Aoi Yu will star in the NTV spring drama Osen. it's based on the manga by Kikuchi Shota.

about the manga:
OSEN
(おせん)

Story & Art: Shōta KIKUCHI / きくち正太
Length: 12 volumes (ongoing)
Genre: Drama / Comedy / Gourmet

Story: The story is set in modernday downtown Tokyo. Our heroine Handa Sen, known as “Osen,” is the star hostess of the longstanding Isho-an, everyone’s favorite restaurant in the town of Kasagi-no-yado. Osen not only loves sake and looks sexy in kimono, but she’s also a “jill” of all trades: She’s a master chef, entertainer and potter, as well as an art connoisseur. The comic is about how Osen settles all the happenings surrounding Isho-an. Sometimes she resolves them with the Japanese spirit of wa, or by just being plain logical.

The artist’s delicate depiction of our heroine Osen in kimono, various craft including pottery and food is a highlight of this manga. –Kodanclub.com

source: http://kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/ongoing-series/osen/

im very happy that Aoi Yu will be the lead in a drama!! im surprised by her performance in Camouflage and she's definitely one of he best young actresses. im reading the manga now and its hilarious!! i wonder how Aoi will play the role of the sexy Handa Sen.

Official site: http://www.ntv.co.jp/osen/
Last edited by marienella_m on Apr 24th, '08, 18:29, edited 2 times in total.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 25th, '08, 20:29

This would be the first time (for me) to see Aoi Yu as a leading actress. I've never really took notice of her in her previous dramas.

Osen - I haven't heard of the manga yet. Is it josei?

Is this drama being filmed yet? Any notice of its air date? :)

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Feb 25th, '08, 20:35

i dont know how to classify Osen, but the female lead is a great cook and owns a traditional japanese restaurant. from what ive read, this is not a famous manga. the newspaper clip says that the shooting will start on March. this drama will be on the same timeslot as Binbo Danshi, air date Tue 10pm, start April 8 or 15.:)

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Mar 17th, '08, 02:14

CM:

Aoi Yu, so kawaii!!! :wub:

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Mar 18th, '08, 21:00

Uchi Hiroki is added to the cast!! im glad, i loved his performance in Isshun no Kaze ni Nare.:D

Hiroki Uchi joins "Osen" cast

The next step in the comeback of former NEWS member Hiroki Uchi is his first regular drama series role in almost three years. He will appear in NTV's "Osen," which stars actress Yu Aoi as the "okami" of a long-standing Tokyo restaurant. Uchi will play Yoshio Ezaki, a young and confident chef who comes to work at the restaurant.

In 2005, Uchi was suspended for underage drinking. He was subsequently removed from NEWS and demoted to trainee status within Johnny's Jimusho, but he finally returned to television work with the "Isshun no Kaze ni Nare" drama mini-series that aired in February.

"Osen" premieres on April 22.

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-2791

vina.loves.sushi

Post by vina.loves.sushi » Apr 5th, '08, 11:39

ah! i didn't know a thread for this dorama existed already....

anyway, i can't wait for this one! i love aoi yuu!

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » Apr 20th, '08, 19:37

Wah Aoi n Uchi leading a live action dorama. Story sounds more josei than shoujo, which is good for me. Definitely looking fwd to subs for this.

wachi

Post by wachi » Apr 20th, '08, 19:43

Hard to believe that Aoi Yuu will be playing the same character on those covers. O_o;
I guess she won't be so openly sexy and big chested. :D

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Apr 21st, '08, 02:58

im looking for a translator to work with me to sub this ^^ if anyone is interested to translate the series, pls let me know xD

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 23rd, '08, 07:47

It would be great if it was subbed, I just checked the fansub map and was pretty downed to see no one had picked it up.
I have to admit, I had no interest in this drama before, nothing about it appealed to me, but I was bored, so I decided to give it a download and I was really wrong.

Aoi Yuu and Uchi Hiroki are really funny in their roles. They really make you laugh.
Plus it's great to looks in Japans culture - and it's food. It's not going to be some exciting drama but pretty enjoyable to watch through.
I'll stick with it. But it would really be more enjoyable if I could understand it xD

And I just have to mention at how great the OP and it's song is. <3

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Apr 23rd, '08, 09:19

i watched it very quickly since i dont understand most of the dialogue xD i find it very enjoyable~~

the way osen cooks is very traditional :) and i like the cooking battle at the end haha.. and the english introduction i find it funny lol..

ManweVaire

Post by ManweVaire » Apr 23rd, '08, 21:02

furransu wrote:im looking for a translator to work with me to sub this ^^ if anyone is interested to translate the series, pls let me know xD
thank you furransu, and thank you in advance to the those who would help! :)

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » Apr 23rd, '08, 21:33

Thanks furransu, that would be wonderful! I dl'd it and watched it although I didn't understand the dialogue, and it's so good! I loved the opening, and the shots of how they make the food look amazing. I did catch the phrase "homo janai - does everyone in dramas have to say this? :)

Kirari

Post by Kirari » Apr 24th, '08, 09:35

chiakisama wrote: I did catch the phrase "homo janai - does everyone in dramas have to say this? :)
^ ghaha, I heard that too. XD Rewinded a couple of times to see but I still heard 'homo janai'. Shouldn't it be "hon mono janai"? My Japanese isn't all that great either. v_v"
I hope some one will help sub this drama. Uchi/JE-fans help out prease. :-(

The scenery and the food looked so lovely. Make sure to have some food on standby when watching. *¬*
I wouldn't depict Aoi Yuu as sexy. Haven't seen the manga but if that what she's supposed to be then that's a fail. But she looks kawaii in the kimonos tho.
Uchi's acting is pretty good. One of the better actors from JE (after MatsuJun ;D). And what an eye candy. I'll be deff following this series.

suboshiyui

Post by suboshiyui » Apr 24th, '08, 17:52

Just a heads up ^^

Akira SHOCK! Fansubs will be working on subbing this, along with furransu. So look forward to our soft and hard sub releases :D

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 24th, '08, 18:00

suboshiyui wrote:Just a heads up ^^

Akira SHOCK! Fansubs will be working on subbing this, along with furransu. So look forward to our soft and hard sub releases :D
:wub:
Thank you so much!

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 24th, '08, 18:01

I'm glad someone is subbing this! I haven't watched it yet but looking at the descriptions above, it looks too good to be missed!! hahaha Thanks to Akira SHOCK! and furransu!!

ladyhendrix

Post by ladyhendrix » Apr 24th, '08, 18:14

i thought querbeet would be working on this coz i saw this on their fansub.d-addicts page
anyway, the more subbers, the better

i loved uchi in this drama. he is a great actor. with great comedic timing too! i loved his portrayal of ezaki.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Apr 25th, '08, 00:55

Kirari wrote:
chiakisama wrote: I did catch the phrase "homo janai - does everyone in dramas have to say this? :)
^ ghaha, I heard that too. XD Rewinded a couple of times to see but I still heard 'homo janai'. Shouldn't it be "hon mono janai"? My Japanese isn't all that great either. v_v"
It sounded to me like Uchi said "Iya, honmono ryouri janai desu." Which would be something like, "No, it's not genuine cuisine." That's what I hear out of it at least, but I could be wrong. *shrug*

Just to check, you're talking about the scene:
After he's served the flaming dish in the beginning, he's talking to his boss in the kitchen. In the scene where he quits the fancy restaurant, right?

Wasn't originally planning to watch this drama, because the description didn't grab me. But the first episode was really enjoyable, so I'm looking forward to more of this one.

WinterParade

Post by WinterParade » Apr 25th, '08, 06:48

About how Osen is depicted in manga (I believe Osen is a seinen manga). I don't think it's spoilerish but in case people think it is, I'll use spoiler tags.
Osen is an obviously attractive woman who appears quite sexy. She wears her clothes as if they're falling off which emphasises that sexy image. You can also see her smoking in the manga (not sure what it is, one of those long sticks that you attach a cigarette to at the end?). I thought it was strange that someone who has such an innocent and cute image like Aoi Yu would be Osen since Osen is pretty far from that.
The manga makes me really hungry...

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 25th, '08, 06:55

As much as I enjoyed the first episode, I don't think I'll ever get around to reading the manga. xD
Gah, I really need the OP song on mp3.
I know the song, I've been replaying it on youtube but I can't find a download anywhere. It's a really good one. <3

pessi_optimism1988

Post by pessi_optimism1988 » Apr 25th, '08, 07:30

I'm so happy that there are people who are planning to sub this!!! :D THANK YOU!

I just watched the first episode, and like what everybody said, it was pretty good. Although I can't really comprehend EVERYTHING that they were saying, I still enjoyed it.

Oh, and Rori, I love your sig! The way she fell was really funny. :lol

nouriko

Post by nouriko » Apr 27th, '08, 17:03

hi every1, just wana ask where can i download Osen?
Thanks^^

bakababa

Post by bakababa » Apr 27th, '08, 18:30

nouriko wrote:hi every1, just wana ask where can i download Osen?
Thanks^^
I got it from here http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60627.htm

bakababa

Post by bakababa » Apr 27th, '08, 18:51

Found these cute Osen pics in Kimono from the official website. They also have Recipes posted from the Food Battle

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Apr 27th, '08, 19:53

Thank you, bakababa! Those pictures are gorgeous! I can never decide which kimono I like best. Everytime Aoi Yu comes on screen she's wearing something beautiful!

And thank you for posting the recipe links too! Might have to see if I can figure some of those out. :thumleft:

nouriko

Post by nouriko » Apr 27th, '08, 20:56

bakababa wrote:
nouriko wrote:hi every1, just wana ask where can i download Osen?
Thanks^^
I got it from here http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60627.htm

thanks, i guess they dont have it for mega upload huh :cry:

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 27th, '08, 21:01

suboshiyui wrote:Just a heads up ^^

This is great news!!!! :wub:

@nouriko: try asian_doramas @ LJ (but links aren't up yet, but I'm sure they'll be up sooner or later) or even kanjani8 or news_jpop @ LJ for Osen MU links.

qnhu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by qnhu » Apr 27th, '08, 21:32

ladyhendrix wrote:i thought querbeet would be working on this coz i saw this on their fansub.d-addicts page
We've planned on doing it but we could not find translators who wanted to sub with querbeet. Grats to furransu for finding a group that can do Osen :)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Apr 27th, '08, 21:57

qnhu wrote:
ladyhendrix wrote:i thought querbeet would be working on this coz i saw this on their fansub.d-addicts page
We've planned on doing it but we could not find translators who wanted to sub with querbeet. Grats to furransu for finding a group that can do Osen :)
I'm sorry that it didn't line up right for Querbeet, but I'm sure that AkiraShock and Furransu will do a great job. I'm really happy that Querbeet is subbing Puzzle though! I've been loving that one too this season, and it'll be even better with your subs. :wub:

nouriko

Post by nouriko » Apr 28th, '08, 00:03

lilswtangel: thanks for the info, hope there r subs for it^^
arigato!

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » Apr 29th, '08, 05:34

bakababa wrote:Found these cute Osen pics in Kimono from the official website. They also have Recipes posted from the Food Battle]
thanks so much for the links - any chance that someone can translate the recipes :-)

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 30th, '08, 10:19

Episode 2
Didn't really understand much of it, but, I liked it. As much as the first episode.
Enjoyed seeing Okada Yoshinori in it, too.

Is there any one who knows what was said between Osen and Uchi(not sure of his name in the drama) that made her upset? Happened around 21:42.
The relationship between these two is getting cuter, I can't wait for next weeks episodes giving what I saw in the preview.

Ratings dropped. :(

crazy4u

Post by crazy4u » Apr 30th, '08, 19:26

Oooh I also managed to get the episode 1. It looks really interesting. I love the cast too. :wub: WOOT!!! Waiting for the soft subs now~ <333 It's really enjoyable and I also love the OP. Looking forward next week eppy and currently downloading the second episode~

bakababa

Post by bakababa » May 2nd, '08, 00:41

Rori wrote:Episode 2

Is there any one who knows what was said between Osen and Uchi
When they're washing the soy beans? I think He's upset that Osen seems to care about food more than him. So he said something mean to her like "Because you like food so much you're told (by your boyfriend) that don't talk about food only! (Like...Osen is boring for talking only about food and her boyfriend broke up with her because of that)"

Osen told Uchi about the boyfriend incident before when they're sorting the beans the first round
The words I understand were like 20% and the rest were just guessing...of it so I could be totally WRONG !!! :alcoholic:

kenu

Post by kenu » May 2nd, '08, 14:45

what a nice series so far..

Looking forward to the eng subs. :D

ladyhendrix

Post by ladyhendrix » May 3rd, '08, 03:07

nya!fansubs is doing this too! yay! i love the way nya! subs... 2 subbing teams then... i can't wait! ^____^

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 3rd, '08, 19:54

eitokicksass @ LJ has subbed the first episode~

http://community.livejournal.com/eitoki ... tml#cutid1

(links are MU & MF)

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 5th, '08, 01:12

Osen = a MUST-WATCH!!!

I have nothing but praises for this drama!

I just finished watching the first subbed episode and now I'm left wanting more.
It's kind of hard for me to imagine Uchi pairing up with any girls because he's prettier than a lot of the girls I know. (Suzuki Anne sooooo did not look right with Uchi in GI ~> at least not in the first two episodes where he played Nakata Saburo). So when I saw Aoi Yu in this drama, I was astounded at how perfect this pairing is. Absolutely perfect!

They complement each other in terms of looks because they're both so physically beautiful. And Aoi's "Osen" was just easy-going enough to fit Uchi's "Yocchan" all-around nice-guy persona.

The first episode alone brought tears to my eyes in the slow food vs microwave food competition. And then I flailed like the fangirl that I am when Yoshio complimented Osen and asked to be rehired.

So, yummy food + tears + laughter + beautiful people = A+!!!
I'm glad that Uchi's return to a full-length drama was in Osen because this drama will probably be one that I will rewatch over and over again.

But is it just me or does anyone else find it ironic that Osen-san's a fanatic drinker (hmms, borderline alcoholic?! LOL) and Uchi was suspended because of "underage drinking"?

Hiroki + Yuu :wub:

Ayisha

Post by Ayisha » May 5th, '08, 05:49

I honestly never thought I'd like this dorama a lot. ^^
The beginning where the narrator was reporting about Japan caught my interest and I ended up watching the entire thing.
Plus, Aoi Yu and Uchi Hiroki are so cute together. ^^

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » May 5th, '08, 17:46

lilswtangel wrote:eitokicksass @ LJ has subbed the first episode~

(links are MU & MF)
Here's some screen shots of the English hardsub by eitokicksass
You can direct download it on LJ Our Hour
http://community.livejournal.com/ourhou ... ml?#cutid1

I loved the first episode

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » May 5th, '08, 18:34

lilswtangel wrote: But is it just me or does anyone else find it ironic that Osen-san's a fanatic drinker (hmms, borderline alcoholic?! LOL) and Uchi was suspended because of "underage drinking"?

hahaha I didn't think about this XDDDD

to be honest I didn't plan to watch this because I watch a whole bunch of other doramas this season already and I'm not really a big Uchi fan anyway but since EKA released it I decided to give it a try and I must say I'm quite surprised with this dorama and probably continue watching it if not now than sometimes later :P Aoi Yu is the cutest! she's doing so great in comedy role XDDD she's totally adorable as drunken okami haha and as for Uchi he's not much of an actor imo but it's nice to see him again after such a long time! I missed his SP earlier this year so it's like first time I see him after such a long break XD

marspeach

Post by marspeach » May 5th, '08, 22:28

I thought the first episode was really cute and funny. The only thing that bothers me is all Osen's drinking. I know the Japanese drink a lot but I don't find that level of alcoholism funny.

Phytagoras

Post by Phytagoras » May 8th, '08, 16:36

@Bodhi

The link for Ourhour wont work for me. I always get:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /ourhour/54421.html on this server.

Or does LJ doesnt allow Non-American Users?

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » May 8th, '08, 17:55

Phytagoras wrote:@Bodhi

The link for Ourhour wont work for me. I always get:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /ourhour/54421.html on this server.

Or does LJ doesnt allow Non-American Users?
It worked fine for me, just make them a friend and they let you right in you don't have to wait for approval, you might have to sign up for LJ if you don't already have an account. I believe it works anywhere in the world not just US.

I loved the first episode, it's well worth the trouble of downloading it.

kenu

Post by kenu » May 10th, '08, 06:46

For those who prefer Torrent.

Nya have released the first episode in 720p.

Looks great. :D

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_61175.htm

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 11th, '08, 20:46

Fav of the season! Watched ep 1 n oredi getting the Nodamesque feeling with tis dorama. Uchi-kun is so hot n Aoi-chan is simply mesmerising. Totemo kawaii, oishii n sugoi desho.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 12th, '08, 06:26

yup, the best of this season so far.
It reminds me of Haikei Chichiuesama. The setting is about the same but Haikei was more focused on the relationship rather than the food. Educational as well.
Aoi Yu just simply marvelous. Can't stop starring at her ♥

noop

Post by noop » May 13th, '08, 08:28

no soft sub right?

anyway, Yuuchan is soooo pretty! I love her.

suboshiyui

Post by suboshiyui » May 13th, '08, 08:31

^^ Softsubs will be out soon! Keep an eye out for them in the next day or two :D

kenu

Post by kenu » May 13th, '08, 10:28

aishoni2 wrote:yup, the best of this season so far.
It reminds me of Haikei Chichiuesama. The setting is about the same but Haikei was more focused on the relationship rather than the food. Educational as well.
The cinematography and setting are similar to Haikei Chichiuesama, however the pacing, characters and focus appears to differ greatly.

In Haikei, the focus was on Ippei's relationships and also the fate of the Sakashita, not so much the food at all. In Osen, it appears food will be a strong focus (from first episode anyway) and a little bit on romance. In some respects it's a bit more like Lunch no Jou or My Petite Chef, I hope it is anyway.

What is surprising is the low national ratings so far.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 13th, '08, 16:33

the second hardsubbed episode has been released by eitokickass @ LJ:

YATTA!!!!!!!!! :wub:

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 16th, '08, 23:14

kenu wrote:
aishoni2 wrote:yup, the best of this season so far.
The cinematography and setting are similar to Haikei Chichiuesama, however the pacing, characters and focus appears to differ greatly.

In Haikei, the focus was on Ippei's relationships and also the fate of the Sakashita, not so much the food at all. In Osen, it appears food will be a strong focus (from first episode anyway) and a little bit on romance. In some respects it's a bit more like Lunch no Jou or My Petite Chef, I hope it is anyway.

What is surprising is the low national ratings so far.
yes, the pacing differs a bit yet the warmness of the characters and the setting does remind me of Haikei. As for the characters, I see the women of Sakashita in Osen-san and the rest of the female characters, while the the men in Osen somewhat echoes the male characters in Haikei. Maybe its just me and my biasness with Haikei (love it!)
It does have the same feel as Lunch no Jou as well right? I got the same fluttery feeling watching Aoi Yuu like I did for Yuko Takeuchi bubbly character. So lovely ♥

This drama is absolutely fabulous. The food looks so delicious! i would like to try sukiyaki nabe (did i get it right?) with raw egg dipping. I thought its a bit weird dipping it in raw egg but it might help with the heat and make it taste richer.. oishii

pfft.. ratings. and gokusen3 got high ratings. japan viewers taste are questionable.

nouriko

Post by nouriko » May 17th, '08, 00:12

lilswtangel wrote:the second hardsubbed episode has been released by eitokickass @ LJ:

YATTA!!!!!!!!! :wub:
no :cry: after registered why i cant still view the entry ?T_T

madrias

Post by madrias » May 17th, '08, 00:40

i am enjoying this show. aoi yu' character is so adorable while uchi hiroki's is such an ass. i wonder when his character will turn for the better? good thing he is cute so it sorta neutralizes things. :)

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 19th, '08, 17:43

Eitokickass has done it again!! They're soo fast and efficient (I love their hardsubs!)! Release of episode 3:

http://community.livejournal.com/eitokickass/5800.html

@nouriko: after registering, you still have to "join the community" in order to view protected posts.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/jo ... itokickass <~ here's the link to join the community. :)

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » May 19th, '08, 17:54

I started watching it only because EKA subs it but after ep 2 I already loved it too much to wait for next release XDDD took RAWs and watched ep 3 and 4 in one go hehe I absolutely adore Aoi Yu here! I didn't know she's this good XD need to check if I watched any of her doramas and if not I'm definitely getting them asap :lol

and wasn't it Okada Yoshinori in one of the eps? oh I missed him haha

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 19th, '08, 18:09

@Ania: I know what you mean! Osen is my FAVORITE jdrama that's airing at the moment. I just can't seem to get enough of it!

and yes, Aoi Yu = what an amazing discovery I made by watching "Osen". She's just simply amazing and beautiful.

UchiYu = <3

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » May 19th, '08, 18:20

yup yup she's a discovery for me too! I checked her profile but I only watched Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 ( but I really don't care about this dorama and don't remember her at all o.o) and All About Lily Chou-Chou.. I saw it AGES ago tho.. but she's really amazing and so cuuuute! really those who says Masami is cute should watch Osen to see what cuteness means lol and you know she's so gorgeous that I don't have time to pay much attention to Uchi :P
lilswtangel wrote: UchiYu = <3
no no I still ship YuUchi yo! LMAO

blivy

Post by blivy » May 19th, '08, 18:48

lilswtangel wrote:@Ania: I know what you mean! Osen is my FAVORITE jdrama that's airing at the moment. I just can't seem to get enough of it!

and yes, Aoi Yu = what an amazing discovery I made by watching "Osen". She's just simply amazing and beautiful.

UchiYu = <3
you should also check out her performance in the movies Hana & Alice and Hula Girls!

vina.loves.sushi

Post by vina.loves.sushi » May 21st, '08, 05:12

lilswtangel wrote:@Ania: I know what you mean! Osen is my FAVORITE jdrama that's airing at the moment. I just can't seem to get enough of it!

UchiYu = <3
she's my favorite japanese actress, that's why i'm so happy to see her in a lead role in a drama ^^

and as mentioned, hula girls and hana and alice are definitely a must see

hula girls is just an amazing movie, aoi yu was so great there ^^

Yolchen

Post by Yolchen » May 24th, '08, 18:24

Osen is really entertaining to watch, so far.
It's not thrilling in any way but I really enjoy watching it, it's kind of relieving :lol:

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in Uchis acting scills, but he has this kind of charisma that makes me love him in this series <3
Aoi Yui is doing a great job, imo, I was really impressed *_*

Sooo~ I'm looking forward to the next episodes

faeryberry

Post by faeryberry » May 28th, '08, 10:39

Yolchen wrote:Osen is really entertaining to watch, so far.
It's not thrilling in any way but I really enjoy watching it, it's kind of relieving :lol:

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in Uchis acting scills, but he has this kind of charisma that makes me love him in this series <3
Aoi Yui is doing a great job, imo, I was really impressed *_*

Sooo~ I'm looking forward to the next episodes
So do i! I love this show, the pace is slow and there isn't anything exciting about this show, just great script, good looking actors, tantalizing food, pretty kimonos and gorgeous scenery. Watching it gives you a nice comfortable feeling. Especially when Aoi Yu smiles or laughs. There is something very innocent and sweet about her.
Uchi didn't really display his acting prowess until like 3- 4th episodes. I thought he was kinda irritating and immature initially but he kinda grows on you, especially when he starts to shape up in the later parts of the show.

Shame about the ratings in Japan, wonder is it because the Japanese are too jaded with the premises of such shows? Traditional Japanese culture and food themes drama? I agree that it's weird that Gokusen 3 garner such high ratings. Plot is always so repetitive and i dunno, find the make up on the guys just too distracting. That said, Yukie Nakama is fantastic. She is the only reason i watch.

kenu

Post by kenu » May 28th, '08, 11:04

Have to go with the sentiment on this thread. Osen is lovely and Yu brings a strong presence to every scene she is in. I love the focus on food. The way it is prepared and how to appreciate it. I feel I can even taste the daikon's clean flavour and miso in the first episode or the soft slightly powdery texture of the soy beans of episode two.

Renoa Heartilly

Post by Renoa Heartilly » May 31st, '08, 23:23

i've watched the episodes in random order, but in the end i decided its an awesome show XD i've never seen any of them before in any drama i've watched, and i've only followed News after they became 6 members, so Uchi is totaly new to me XD
Aoi Yu is one talented actress *_* somehow i wish they could undo the Honey and Clover drama and cast her as Hagu XD
Osen is the perfect Japanese model, her voice, her face, her clothes, how she responds to everything and how she welcomes her guests XD
i also like the slow pace, i just finished episode 6 and even without subs i think i understood most of it. its a great way to show that the kimono and zori can still survive in the world of mobile phones and dating XD
on a side note, yocchan-san and osen make a cute couple X'D

faeryberry

Post by faeryberry » Jun 1st, '08, 04:34

Renoa Heartilly wrote: Aoi Yu is one talented actress *_* somehow i wish they could undo the Honey and Clover drama and cast her as Hagu XD
Osen is the perfect Japanese model, her voice, her face, her clothes, how she responds to everything and how she welcomes her guests XD
i also like the slow pace, i just finished episode 6 and even without subs i think i understood most of it. its a great way to show that the kimono and zori can still survive in the world of mobile phones and dating XD
on a side note, yocchan-san and osen make a cute couple X'D
I agree wholeheartedly! except for episode 6
it seems that Yocchan and Osen seemed to be of a platonic relationship, with Yocchan encouraging her to date the guy.
But i really like their old world Japanese theme in the show, it's so beautiful. I appreciate it because everything is so much more colourful and elaborated than the cosmopolitan Japan where everything is sleek, black and shades of grey.

I also think that the Honey and Clover drama is really miscast. While i also like the actress playing Hagu in the series, Aoi yu has a certain presence on screen. Very luminous, adorable, innocent and definitely very irrelevant. Which suits Hagu. Narumi Riko however, looks too self conscious and lady-like to play the irrepressible Hagu.

Renoa Heartilly

Post by Renoa Heartilly » Jun 1st, '08, 11:04

I agree wholeheartedly! except for episode 6
it seems that Yocchan and Osen seemed to be of a platonic relationship, with Yocchan encouraging her to date the guy.
But i really like their old world Japanese theme in the show, it's so beautiful. I appreciate it because everything is so much more colou
well i was hoping it could develop over time XD, and even if it doesnt its always fun to imagine~ but that guy (i couldnt catch his name Dx ) was super jealous lmao i think its a matter of time before yucchansan gets to that level as well, or at least its expected :P
i'm somewhat surprised by Uchi's acting skills, at first i didnt really notice him, but thats because i watched episode 5 first. and then when i watched episode 1 i realized he was supposed to be the main character *_*; hmmm at first he was over-acting, but later on it becomes natural. i think i like him more in the later episodes than when he was shouting his 'ohayou's to everybody XD
but its always amusing when sempai and kouhai compete X'D

coi86

Post by coi86 » Jun 1st, '08, 11:53

im sorry to have to say this...
but when i see uchi's acting....im somewhat reminded of nakatsu....(ikuta toma)
not all the time...but sometime i juz got that feeling..
it's juz my opinion though... :mrgreen:

but i love aoi yu....
cant imagine any other actress playing osen..
:thumright:

faeryberry

Post by faeryberry » Jun 1st, '08, 12:04

Renoa Heartilly wrote:
well i was hoping it could develop over time XD, and even if it doesnt its always fun to imagine~ but that guy (i couldnt catch his name Dx ) was super jealous lmao i think its a matter of time before yucchansan gets to that level as well, or at least its expected :P
i'm somewhat surprised by Uchi's acting skills, at first i didnt really notice him, but thats because i watched episode 5 first. and then when i watched episode 1 i realized he was supposed to be the main character *_*; hmmm at first he was over-acting, but later on it becomes natural. i think i like him more in the later episodes than when he was shouting his 'ohayou's to everybody XD
but its always amusing when sempai and kouhai compete X'D
I find him really irritating at first, but come episode 3 he started maturing. Yes, i think he is a pretty good actor. Quite cute. This guy was expelled from News for about a year for underage drinking. So i guessed he used the time to do some quality acting training.

I do hope the 2 protaganists end up together. One thing about Jap dramas (non book or manga adapted) is that they like to tantalize the viewers with prospective relationships and the endings are always quite ambiguous or unfulfilled. Really hate it. Ah well, i guess we enjoy everything else but dun put the money on their relationships.

Yolchen

Post by Yolchen » Jun 2nd, '08, 20:41

ah~ I can't wait to see the next episodes... I'm stuck at episode 3... I guess I could understand the most important parts even without subtitles but I think it'd be a waste :x

I think it would be really nice if Uchi and Aoi ended up together ... however I wouldn't mind to much if they don't =')

I'm really glad that Uchi's back in the buisness... I liked him a lot when he was with NEWS and Kanjani8 :D

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 3rd, '08, 15:32

ahhh she is so cute in this clip :(

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jun 3rd, '08, 16:09

This drama has to be my favorite this season!
I mean Aoi Yu has that same magic as she did in Hula Girls!

asrai

Post by asrai » Jun 5th, '08, 11:02

:wub: when the spring season list came out I was all for last friends and absolute boyfriend (I still am)...and my only reason for watching Osen is Mukai Osamu ^^ but now I'm more addicted with Osen than any other show this spring. haha (='_'=)v

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Jun 5th, '08, 15:26

yup i agree! aoi yu should be hagu in the honey and clover drama!

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » Jun 6th, '08, 19:52

Agree, aoi yu wld hv bn great in honey n clover drama. Also i look fwd to watching first Osen over Zettai Kareshi n Last Friends.