[Discussion] Last Friends - Nagasawa Masami/Ueno Juri/Eita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 21st, '08, 19:45

sleepyzzz: You can normally change the timing settings on your player(MPC) or VobSub(the green arrow on your task bar that pops up when you play something with subs). Just double click the arrow and under 'Timing' you can choose to either make it faster or slower. 1000 or -1000 for 1 second faster or slower. Just play around with it.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 21st, '08, 19:52

Thanks to suketeru & alesca-chan, episode 2 is available in both .ass and .srt format!

(though, I prefer the original .ass format that suketeru usually works with...i totally love the color fonts, various subtitle positions, and italics/bolds that .ass lets you work with)

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Apr 21st, '08, 22:14

^Yuuki wrote:scherzando: Now check out the image I added under the spoiler tag~ ;)
Kyaa~ XD Love it! I agree that they're not trying to use shoujo-ai as a gimmick, and the scene meant so much more than what we see on.. 'American TV'.

About your new signature, it is *definitley* my fave scene on ep1.. especially with Prisoner of Love playing. Spot on. :wub: And I just can't help saying, how great is Juri, huh?

kandysakura

Post by kandysakura » Apr 22nd, '08, 00:27

i just watched the first 2 epis and throughout the whole thing
i kept on going "NOOO~~! NOOO~~! NOOO~~!"
i swear ive never spent such a long time watching a drama with my mouth open.
its pretty good, though definitely not what i was expecting at all.
ryo kinda scares me though...
abusive isnt even the right word that describes his character....
i see ryo in a new light now... more or less a darker one
but nonetheless a new light...
and i agree with the whole begining ending thing. its so confusing.
i wonder who's kid it is...
possibly eita's... the piccys she looks at in the beginning kinda point in that direction.
kinda wish asami had a bigger role in this drama tho...
from wut im seeing, shes more or less the comic relief...

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 22nd, '08, 00:55

This may come off sounding really strange...but I totally have the hots for "Ruka". She was so kakkoii when riding the motorbike that my heart was literally doing the tango dance during the race.

It also helps that her character is one of the most unique ones that I've seen in jdramas. Notice I didn't write "most complex".....at least for "Last Friends", I'm beginning to think EVERYONE's lives is complex in some way. As for Eri's complexity, I still have yet to figure out what's wrong with her. So far, she seems to be the only one who seems to be normal (wells, or whatever it is that can be defined as normal) aside for the lack of friends at work part.
It appears Sosuke's having a tougher time controlling his DV. It's coming more and often.

The scene with the scissors was frightening because to think he can go far as to threaten Michiru by hurting himself shows that he acknowledges his DV and knows what he was doing.

I'm also really curious about Takeru's past. What happened to make him the way he is? "Was he sexually molested?" and other such thoughts went through my head after the scene where everyone was watching the movie.

Wells, at least now we can be sure that Takeru already has feelings for Ruka. He went as far as to nearly admit so when he narrates, "When she asked me to move in, that made me really happy" (or something along the lines of that, I'm too lazy to go back to copy&paste the actual quote).

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 22nd, '08, 03:25

@ lilswtangel:
This may come off sounding really strange...but I totally have the hots for "Ruka". She was so kakkoii when riding the motorbike that my heart was literally doing the tango dance during the race.
You're not the only one! Everything about Ruka is totally cool...well maybe except the part that she is batting for the same team. But just love everything such as:

- not being those annoying pretty, whiney girly girls
- motorcrosses. Representing FOX RACING!
- takes no crap from men and their harassment
- cares about friends
- love the way she dresses
- Oh, and Juri playing her!!

She's someone I'd like to have as a friend or even just know.

^Yuuki Love your GIFs!

Thank you for the heads up on the softsubs...I don't have to mope around anymore :-)

roon

Post by roon » Apr 22nd, '08, 03:53

It's not unusual to have the hots for Ruka -- so far she's the coolest character.
I love that she ran to protect Michiru from Sousuke, even though she was injured!
http://community.livejournal.com/lastfriends/ Last Friends LJ community! <3 Still flourishing a bit, but the layout is up.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 22nd, '08, 04:14

zeiroc wrote:But just love everything such as:

- not being those annoying pretty, whiney girly girls
- motorcrosses. Representing FOX RACING!
- takes no crap from men and their harassment
- cares about friends
- love the way she dresses
- Oh, and Juri playing her!!
Yes on all counts...!! :thumleft:

QNSpider

Post by QNSpider » Apr 22nd, '08, 04:15

lilswtangel wrote:This may come off sounding really strange...but I totally have the hots for "Ruka". She was so kakkoii when riding the motorbike that my heart was literally doing the tango dance during the race.
You're not the only one, trust me. :lol

Just saw episode 2 and ...man I'm so addicted to this show. I've been waiting for a good drama like this with shoujo ai for a looooooooong time.

...>_>

*joins that LJ community while opening up old H&M doujinshi strips* >_>

Jackiki

Post by Jackiki » Apr 22nd, '08, 06:20

Hi guys! I just posted my review for the second episode of Last Friends at my drama review blog! Please visit :)

http://tmijs.blogspot.com/

I'd love any feedback! :lol Love reading the opinions here, they make me rethink my own... Well, I already wrote my first impression so I'll just leave it!

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 22nd, '08, 06:23

My favourite scenes from Episode 2:
a) Where Ruka asks Michiru "Daijoobu?" she sounded so sincere!!!
b) When they replayed the scene of Ruka finding Michiru in the park in the rain - how she just stared at her and said she looked so lonely....
I think both of those scenes are really touching moments..... :wub:

Oh and of course I'm another Ruka fan!! She's cool and has a strong character.

phiyo

Post by phiyo » Apr 22nd, '08, 08:19

Not sure if this is the best place for this but...

I made a few widescreen wallpapers for my laptop, may as well share them. I am too lazy to resize them to different sizes so they are all in 1440 x 900. Feel free to resize them. The images are all taken from the official website anyway. Just simple editing on my part.

Just click "Download" in the page:
Wish Thursday can come a little sooner!

Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 22nd, '08, 09:03

I thought i was the only one who had the hots for Ruka and was afraid to admit it :lol now i'm relieved.

Well my faveourite scene of the 2nd episode was
when Ruka yelled at Sosuke "Don't touch my Michiru" and Sosuke was like O___O MY Michiru?

But if i got it right from the preview of the 2nd episode Sosuke thinks Ruka is a boy ?! Oh God....
I love Ryo's acting as Sosuke but somehow i feel this character is just too much. I'm not aware of DV cases but i feel like he beats her up for like every tiny thing.

And when they were in the hall of the hospital Sosuke said to Michiru that she promised to him she'd return back home at 3 o'clock or sth as soon as the race would end up. Hmm now my question is when did Michiru ever tell Sosuke she was going to the race?
She wanted to tell him whil they were in the kitchen but she didn't find the guts to do it.

Am i missing something here?

honeatcha

Post by honeatcha » Apr 22nd, '08, 09:49

I cried when I watched the 1st episode.. :cry: I kinda felt the terror in Michiru's eyes when she was beaten and how relieved she was when there's someone she can rely on (even though she didn't expect it).. My friends are totally off shoujo ai, but I don't mind.. love by all means are just love.. it's knows no border... :wub: (didn't they say - love is blind?)

I have to wait for the hardsub to watch the 2nd episode but I don't mind spoilers, seriously.. Thanks for updating minna! :salut:

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 22nd, '08, 10:41

Hey Alecsa-chan!

On your question about Ep 2:
I think it is just implied to the audience, after the fact, that Michiru must have pulled her guts together and eventually asked. She had a ticket and all so Sosuke probably got comfortable with that as long as she returned by 3pm. I guess if the directors had shown us this, then there would be no surprise factor when she did actually turn up. I'm sure you were disappointed when you first thought she was too weak to ask, right? The directors are playing with our emotions!! haha
Hope that helps!! I'm loving this drama - I just hope they don't screw it up...

dk75

Post by dk75 » Apr 22nd, '08, 10:47

bmwracer wrote:
<3s-tei. wrote:I considered doing rough softsubs for this series...
Don't know how others feel about it, but I'd rather have softsubs over the hardsubs...

If anyone else feels this way, speak up... :thumright:
101 Ueno Juri Airborn division, Easy company, 2nd paltoon, 2nd pvt dk75, after missdropeed and proceed to rally point is report on duty.

sleepyzzz wrote:The soft subs are really good quality and there's nice styling in the ASS version - the only problem is timing seems to be out slightly when played against the 1280 x 720 version i.e. 20 minutes into it, it starts having this 1 or 2 second lag...anyone know of an easy way to fix? Thanks heaps Sorry if this is the wrong place to post such a query.
Hmmm... I must watch this again because I've didn't seen any lipsync.

[after a short while]
Nope. No lipsync with ASS sub for me.

Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 22nd, '08, 11:36

sleepyzzz wrote:Hey Alecsa-chan!

On your question about Ep 2:
I think it is just implied to the audience, after the fact, that Michiru must have pulled her guts together and eventually asked. She had a ticket and all so Sosuke probably got comfortable with that as long as she returned by 3pm. I guess if the directors had shown us this, then there would be no surprise factor when she did actually turn up. I'm sure you were disappointed when you first thought she was too weak to ask, right? The directors are playing with our emotions!! haha
The same thing happened in the 1st episode then. When Michiru was calling Ruka but the robot machine answered and the next second they showed Michiru hanging up the phone. But apparently Michiru left Ruka a voice mail.
Personally i don't really like this kind of 'surprises' coz they tend to become lacks.
But i can get over it and all in all i totally love this drama. One of my fave EVER.

josean06

Post by josean06 » Apr 22nd, '08, 11:44

what file are you using? because the subs work perfect for me. use the small file size, since the 1280x720 is a little off during the epi.

I want to say gomen ne! since i didn't hide my comments last time, i swear i was spacing out and it's my first time posting lol. I didn't notice that button up top.

Here's my two cents after episode 2
This episode really just adds to each person's character, it doesn't really show any confrontation between any of them. Just a same type of events that show a little more of each character, and introduce a new one, Tomohiko-san. But Ruka's character was the most developed, and we know everything on her character.

I really don't like Michiru's character, why stay with someone who abuses you, that's a loving relationship. She really need to find her own life, and stop living on others, (ie. implied in the first episode that she finally realizes she needs her own life). Thank goodness the previews of the 3rd episode she's finally confronting Sosuke, who wouldn't?! She has lovng new friends, I just wonder though, why Sosuke is like this. Because he's just type cast as the "wife beater." We need to show more assertiveness, but I guess it took a baby and someone dying for her to get the message. (sorry for being so hard on the character ^_^)

Sosuke is just a big wife beater and should be put to jail. Why does Michiru defend him? Because he gives her a good time? Pshaw! He also needs to live his own life, and stop being a jealous little baby all the time. He's being way too controlling and jealous of Michiru with other people. Does he want to hurt her? Or lose her? ehh I dunno

Ruka is scared to tell everyone she's a lesbian, that's a pretty big issue in today's world. She wants to be treated like a person, not like a guy or a girl, but a person. Gender doesn't mean anything if you do your job well. She fights for her chance to show everyone that she's a person who does great and just doesn't want to be judged or compared. Her character was the most developed in the story. We actually know her background, and who she is. But the love triangles aren't starting yet, so we'll wait for that. We know she loves Michiru, we know she'll do everything for her, and we know she's scared to come out, and she's scared that she'll disappoint her father. There's not much else that this character needs right? well until the love triangles start.

Takeru-san, his character was emphasized the same as the first, not much development. We know that he's scared to get close to a woman, and scared to have sex. But that's about it.

Eri, nothing much here, just to add comical relief, but we know that she's the Solitude, and lonely character in the story, so we'll wait for her story to unfold.

Tomohiko-san, he might not be the kind to stand up to her wife's alleged new lover, but you never know, that guy might be someone else, other than her lover. He's just too afraid to go see whats going on so he won't get hurt, he doesn't want to hurt anyone. But he's really hurting himself. He was just introduced in this episode, so there's more to come.

I give this episode a 7/10. and the drama at this point an 8/10. I think it's moving a little slow, but with this many characters you can't fit it all in 45 mins. Ano ne~ sorry for being very critical and criticizing in this review, but it made me angry how many people like this lock in their feelings. But this is Japan's current problems. In America, some are the same, and lots of them are different. comments and even constructive criticism is highly welcome. Since it's fun discussing this with other people ^_^

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 22nd, '08, 12:25

scherzando wrote:
^Yuuki wrote:scherzando: Now check out the image I added under the spoiler tag~ ;)
Kyaa~ XD Love it! I agree that they're not trying to use shoujo-ai as a gimmick, and the scene meant so much more than what we see on.. 'American TV'.

About your new signature, it is *definitley* my fave scene on ep1.. especially with Prisoner of Love playing. Spot on. :wub: And I just can't help saying, how great is Juri, huh?
Hehehe. Thanks. Was my favourite scene too. That scene totally made me swoon. :wub:
LOL. Looks like everyone is falling for Ruka. Straight or otherwise. Haha, such is the power of Ueno Juri. =3

But, I think some people are missing something important about Ruka...
Her main secret isn't about loving her best friend who is a girl though that's part of it. She has a deeper secret. They hinted at it with the urology website in episode 2. She could be a) thinking of having a sex change, b) having a medical condition, c) she's intersexed...o_o I'd say from the way she seems to dislike seeing herself in the mirror and avoiding those girls in the women's changing room, it could very well be a). Hope not though. It would be an overkill to add transgender issue to the mix...But I'd really like to see how the others especially Michiru influence her actions and decisions.

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 22nd, '08, 13:13

@Yuuki
really luv ur sig^^

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 22nd, '08, 13:32

Sugoi.... All these fans of the Ruka character... And Juri-chan. :thumleft: :cheers:

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 22nd, '08, 14:07

Hey guys! If you haven't already, might want to check this out:

http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/lastfriends/index.html

Looks like they've posted 2 clips from filming episode 1 and the opening sequence. Site has also posted new pics in the album from episode 2!

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 22nd, '08, 18:05

Yay for softsubs! Another killer rock star job from suketeru. Just finished Episode 2 and I couldn't help but cringe throughout the episode. However, I'm glad that it was a little more lighthearted with the introduction of two more characters.
^Yuuki wrote: But, I think some people are missing something important about Ruka...
Her main secret isn't about loving her best friend who is a girl though that's part of it. She has a deeper secret. They hinted at it with the urology website in episode 2. She could be a) thinking of having a sex change, b) having a medical condition, c) she's intersexed...o_o I'd say from the way she seems to dislike seeing herself in the mirror and avoiding those girls in the women's changing room, it could very well be a). Hope not though. It would be an overkill to add transgender issue to the mix...But I'd really like to see how the others especially Michiru influence her actions and decisions.
Nice clues! I can totally see your options as well, but I'd like to add an option d as well: it could heighten our emotions or suspicions as she being the one tied to "death." But I have faith that it won't be Ruka, the writers are just trying to throw a curve ball at us.

This episode really makes me wonder and anticipate what is really wrong with Ruka. I can see in the preview that she stares at herself for a good amount of time, while topless, at the tiny mirror in her locker. It will totally be :goggle: if they add in transgender issues. But don't you think her father would know about it if she was born a hermaphrodite?

Also...the preview has Sosuke believing that Ruka isn't a "woman." Knowing how well he plays the creep representing Creepsville, he has access to personal information because of the job he is in and knowing how far he can and will go. That creep might have already investigated and dug through Ruka's information from the government as well as the hospital since he showed up unexpectedly. But then again...Ruka's secret...no one knows about it.

By the way, I love how we see Ruka's POV on Michiru during that rain running session from episode 1. Love love love how this drama isn't really centered on the leading actress' (Michiru's) POV. Because they know that we'd go crazy screaming and yelling at our computer/television screens.
Oh man, this is killing me!

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 22nd, '08, 18:14

Okay people - brace yourselves!! It looks like someone translated the what's coming up in Episode 3 from the website - I got this from afterellen.com so no idea how accurate it is but it seems to follow the preview trailer very closely:

BTW, this is a fairly lengthy spoiler - almost sounds like the whole episode to me so you might want to think twice!! I kind of regretted seeing this myself... oh well :-(

### SPOILER FOR EPISODE 3 #########
This is whats written on the site regarding whats happening in ep3:

Takeru went out of the ward to look for Ruka as she had gone missing. He witnessed the confrontation and pulled Sousuke back before he could do anything to the two girls on the floor. Sousuke quickly smiled good-naturedly and said that the chair fell over...

After coming home from the hospital, Ruka told the new guy and Eri what happened to Michiru. She cant seem to get the incident and Michiru out of her mind.

The next day, Ruka went to Michiru's workplace to look her up. They went for lunch together. When Ruka started probing Michiru about Sousuke, but Michiru replied that fights and quarrels are common to two people who are living together. Michiru voices out her own thoughts, she was frank that her alchoholic father used to abuse the family, and this is the first time that anyone has made her feel important and loved. From Sousuke, she felt these. Upon hearing these, Ruka gave up on talking sense into Michiru, she dump her lunch money on the table and left.

When Michiru got back to the salon, her senior asked her to cut hair for a male customer. Michiru thought about Sousuke's words and actions, and did not know what to do. However, she helped the guy cut his hair in the end.

That night over dinner, Sousuke inquired about Michiru's work that day. Michiru did not know how to lie and told him the truth. Sousuke jumped out of his seat, and closed in on Michiru, demanding an answer to the question "Am i more important or is your customer more important"... UH oh....
### SPOILER FOR EPISODE 3 #########

dk75

Post by dk75 » Apr 22nd, '08, 18:21

dk75 wrote:
sleepyzzz wrote:]The soft subs are really good quality and there's nice styling in the ASS version - the only problem is timing seems to be out slightly when played against the 1280 x 720 version i.e. 20 minutes into it, it starts having this 1 or 2 second lag...anyone know of an easy way to fix? Thanks heaps Sorry if this is the wrong place to post such a query.
Hmmm... I must watch this again because I've didn't seen any lipsync.

[after a short while]
Nope. No lipsync with ASS sub for me.
It seems that I've missunderstood for witch episode question is... and yes it start degrade slowly to ca. 2-4 sec. lag.

I'm checking it out and maybe could give patch for it.

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 22nd, '08, 19:06

zeiroc wrote:Yay for softsubs! Another killer rock star job from suketeru. Just finished Episode 2 and I couldn't help but cringe throughout the episode. However, I'm glad that it was a little more lighthearted with the introduction of two more characters.
^Yuuki wrote: But, I think some people are missing something important about Ruka...
Nice clues! I can totally see your options as well, but I'd like to add an option d as well: it could heighten our emotions or suspicions as she being the one tied to "death." But I have faith that it won't be Ruka, the writers are just trying to throw a curve ball at us.

This episode really makes me wonder and anticipate what is really wrong with Ruka. I can see in the preview that she stares at herself for a good amount of time, while topless, at the tiny mirror in her locker. It will totally be :goggle: if they add in transgender issues. But don't you think her father would know about it if she was born a hermaphrodite?

Also...the preview has Sosuke believing that Ruka isn't a "woman." Knowing how well he plays the creep representing Creepsville, he has access to personal information because of the job he is in and knowing how far he can and will go. That creep might have already investigated and dug through Ruka's information from the government as well as the hospital since he showed up unexpectedly. But then again...Ruka's secret...no one knows about it.

By the way, I love how we see Ruka's POV on Michiru during that rain running session from episode 1. Love love love how this drama isn't really centered on the leading actress' (Michiru's) POV. Because they know that we'd go crazy screaming and yelling at our computer/television screens.
Oh man, this is killing me!
Well, it differs by cases. Some people don't know until they reach their teens so it's possible. Her dad would still probably knew about it though.... But judging from the not wanting to disappoint her dad thing, it's unlikely that it's related to something she can't control like a medical condition. He seems like a pretty cool dad from the episode, supporting her motorcross activities and stuff. So it's more likely 'a decision'(or sexual preference) that would disappoint him.

sleepyzzz: I'll just refrain myself from reading that then...^^;

A few videos of the promo+interviews done on 10/4(a couple was posted before):

Super News:
Happy full:
Tokudane:
Mezamashi:
Episode 3 trailer:

Alecsa-chan

Post by Alecsa-chan » Apr 22nd, '08, 20:20

^Yuuki: Thank you for the links. I watched the preview for the 3rd episode O___O I cannot wait to watch on Thursday !!

It was hard to rezist to the spoilers from the official website.

I'm just curious did you guys see the relationships chart from the official website?
There's an arrow with a heart on it from Michiru to Takeru. Than means she really starts having feelings for him...I had this impression from the 1st episode when they were together at the end. Michiru will see in Takeru all that she couldn't find at Sosuke: tenderness most important !

But then again Takeru has feelings for Ruka. And then there is his sex phobia.

And my friend came with another theory. She thinks that Sosuke gets Michiru pregnant but he thinks the baby is Takeru's. Therefore he kills him.

Ohh this drama is too complicated. i so love it.

dk75

Post by dk75 » Apr 22nd, '08, 20:45

OK.
I've "mechanicaly" timed suketeru softsub EP2 for 720p RAW so it's in sync now. By countless try I've managed to discover that changing timing from 29.984FPS to 30FPS will work.

Heres is the DIFF file to patch original file: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/12/11 ... p-ASS.diff

Under Linux one need to do in terminal:

Code: Select all

patch -o new-patched.ass oryginal-suketeru.ass LastFriends-EP02-720p-ASS.diff
After that "new-patched.ass" will be timed one.

Windows user must install copy of win32 patch executable:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/install.html
or... manually copy&paste timing lines from diff to ASS file :cheers:

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 22nd, '08, 21:12

Looks like someone else is softsubbing it too: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60626.htm

Well, the more the merrier~ Now to choose...

QNSpider

Post by QNSpider » Apr 22nd, '08, 22:08

I really don't want Ruka to undergo
surgery. I want her to be a fullblown dyke damnit. :lol
Perhaps in future episodes she will
change her mind if Michiru influences her in such a way or something?

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Apr 22nd, '08, 22:23

Hmm about Ruka's secret..
I never thought she'd go so far as a sex change.. I still don't think she will.
Totally LOVE it too when the replayed some scenes in Ruka's POV. :D

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Apr 22nd, '08, 23:38

Wow, this thread moves really fast.

I don't want Ruka
to go through surgery either, and even though she is kind of boy-ish, I can't' imagine her as a guy.
Anyway, looking forward to episode three <3 <3.

kandysakura

Post by kandysakura » Apr 23rd, '08, 00:05

a single day this thread goes through like 3 pages! xD
i think this drama can go a few different directions.

i kind of doubt that ruka...
would get a sex change
but im betting that the story go towards the idea that michiru...
will probably be the one thats helps takeru and sleeps with him,
possibly helps by sleeping with him. and ruka finds out
or....
ruka falls in love with both takeru and michiru and discovers they slept together.
on a side note, my friend came up with the idea that the person who dies at the end is...
ruka. he says that even though michiru is "writing a letter" to her,
shes really only contemplating.
but what i think it really is...
is that michiru is pregnant with sosuke's kid, and ruka gets mad at her.
they fight, sosuke joins in and fights ruka.
takeru sees those two fight, and joins in to help ruka.
takeru gets stabbed or something by sosuke.
so cant wait till the next epi! xD

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 23rd, '08, 03:23

Off-topic, but here's Juri-chan and Eita from 2005. :)

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 23rd, '08, 04:14

Sorry guys - stupid question but what does POV stand for? :unsure:

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 23rd, '08, 04:37

Point of View =)

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 23rd, '08, 05:16

well, I actually don't where to write it (or do I write in the appropriate topic?) I just want to say a big Thank you to seri who is making a soft sub for this fantastic drama! :cheers:
Thank You, seri!!!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 23rd, '08, 05:21

wuff wrote:well, I actually don't where to write it (or do I write in the appropriate topic?) I just want to say a big Thank you to seri who is making a soft sub for this fantastic drama! :cheers:
Thank You, seri!!!
You could post your thanks in the softsub thread... :)

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 23rd, '08, 12:28

bmwracer: Hey~ I just downloaded Kagayaku Onna and Earth Odyssey of Ueno Juri. Now downloading Jounetsu Tairiku...Had to resort to them while waiting for more Ruka. Heheh, since you're such a Juri fan and helped proofed Kagayaku Onna, just wondering if you know if the others are subbed or if there's any other interesting Juri-chan vids we have to see. ^^
scherzando wrote:Hmm about Ruka's secret..
I never thought she'd go so far as a sex change.. I still don't think she will.
I think she's considering it but I also don't think that
the show would go so far as to have Ueno Juri being a transexual man. They've succeeded so far into making the viewers loving Ruka despite her sexual preference which is sorta a big thing already considering how sensitive the issue is in Japan. Don't think they would push it with a far bigger 'taboo' subject...

So, it's possible that Ruka thinks that she has to be a guy in order to be able to love and protect Michiru? Might sound stupid to some of us but she probably just need to have a heart to heart talk with Michiru to clear the misconception if that's the case...
Well, speculations are just ramblings at this point. It'll probably turn out totally different than what we think....1 more day to go~ =3

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:28

^Yuuki wrote:bmwracer: Hey~ I just downloaded Kagayaku Onna and Earth Odyssey of Ueno Juri. Now downloading Jounetsu Tairiku...Had to resort to them while waiting for more Ruka. Heheh, since you're such a Juri fan and helped proofed Kagayaku Onna, just wondering if you know if the others are subbed or if there's any other interesting Juri-chan vids we have to see. ^^
Unfortunately, Earth Odyssey and Jonetsu Tairiku are not subbed... :(

If anyone is willing or planning to sub it, I'm more than willing to proof it. :thumright:

Actually, that applies to any movie or drama that's Juri-chan related. :mrgreen:

scherzando

Post by scherzando » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:54

I would also love more Juri.. any recommendations? =)

Same with ^Yuuki..
Yeah, I don't think Ruka will go through with it. I have nothing against it, but if she did undergo the surgery, I think it would've kinda ripped off the charm of the character, ne? She's already perfect as she is now.. The confusion, the doubts, the affection.. All mixed up to become the wonderful character that is Ruka.
One more day to go~ Come on, ep. 3!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 23rd, '08, 14:22

scherzando wrote:I would also love more Juri.. any recommendations? =)
Movies or dramas?

pandan

Post by pandan » Apr 23rd, '08, 14:39

scherzando wrote:I would also love more Juri.. any recommendations? =)

Same with ^Yuuki..
Yeah, I don't think Ruka will go through with it. I have nothing against it, but if she did undergo the surgery, I think it would've kinda ripped off the charm of the character, ne? She's already perfect as she is now.. The confusion, the doubts, the affection.. All mixed up to become the wonderful character that is Ruka.
One more day to go~ Come on, ep. 3!
I agree completely. Making Ruka transexual/genderqueer might be too much for the audience to handle; this show is already breaking enough boundaries at it is.
That aside, I cannot wait for ep. 3 either. This dorama is so addicting. :lol

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 23rd, '08, 14:43

I have watched ep 2 and it was so scary! I was almost crying when
Michiru tried to cut Sosuke's hair. He is so frightening!!! :pale: Oh, my hands became cold, after writing it down... :pale: :pale: :pale:

pandan

Post by pandan » Apr 23rd, '08, 14:46

wuff wrote:I have watched ep 2 and it was so scary! I was almost crying when
Michiru tried to cut Sosuke's hair. He is so frightening!!! :pale: Oh, my hands became cold, after writing it down... :pale: :pale: :pale:
Yeah, I know! It was really disturbing -- that episode in general. >_<;

nek

Post by nek » Apr 23rd, '08, 15:05

grr i want the song made by utada hikaru! :S

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Apr 23rd, '08, 15:10

nek wrote:grr i want the song made by utada hikaru! :S
It's in her latest album, Heart Station ^_~

aubreyray

Post by aubreyray » Apr 23rd, '08, 15:18

i like this drama because it very much different from the other jdramas that i have seen. hehe.. i like nodame *i call her nodame..hehe* role here..very different and cute. i like the girl to girl kiss whahah.. and ryuuji *last friends..whahhe* role is very cute..make up artist hehe.. ryo's role is kinda scary..waheheh... poor michiru..XD

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Apr 24th, '08, 00:53

I've just lately gotten into more serious dramas, and I like it that I can appreciate this as a tv-show, not as a Japanese tv-show (I think it's the bold approach that does it for me).

Funny how everybody seems to have the hots for Ruka, because I've always had the tendency to fall for the boyish female characters. But I guess I've been sucked too deep into the Asian pop-culture, as the girlish male characters seem to be my thing these days :D
Eita ftw! :wub: :heart:

But anyway, this series seems to be getting more interesting in every episode. I can't wait to see more!

My take on what's going to happen...
the one to die is going to be Sousuke. After realizing he beats Michiru up, the others come to her rescue. Maybe he comes in for revenge and to get Michiru back, and they end up killing him - probably in self-defence or something!
But who knows! It would be nice to see something surprising for once! :-)

Daish

Post by Daish » Apr 24th, '08, 03:37

Just saw the first 2 ep.......

so far so good, though I'm yet to be convinced that it is "awesome" yet. I like the rugged Juri so far just like many others in this thread
but whats with the dive down to protect instead of removing the threat at the end of episode 2? They probably didn't want juri actually getting hurt :lol. be still seemed cheesy more than effective to me.

And after hearing ruka say "MY MICHIRU", and ryo's response, masami's expression wasn't surprised at all, it seemed more like a "yeah, i'm hers!" face.

I think ryo's doing good in this dark role, perhaps its cause he doesn't show alot of emotions to begin with HAHAHA

The preview showed masami fighting back already after being so scared for the past 2 ep. Wonder if the relationship will move into a new phase. Ruka seemed cool in the hospital scene even before the protecting scene, so observant and conscientious when he came into the room while masami is like ssssshhhhhhhiiiiiiiitttttttt.

I sure hope ruka doesn't take the surgery and I'm pretty sure the baby isn't ruka's since she mentions betraying her.

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 24th, '08, 05:23

Can I just profess how much I love the quiet version of "Prisoner of Love." It's so emotional and passionately composed. It moves you so deeply that it can easily bring you to tears without any vocals or lyrics required. Can't wait til it's official release on May 21.

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 24th, '08, 06:15

Today is the day!! Can't wait for the raws to be out. These days I watch the each episode like 5 times haha Once without subs, once with suketeru's subs, once with Kioku's subs and a few more times while I wait for next episode! hahaha

Honestly, if Michiru doesn't retaliate soon I think people are going to get pissed. At least I will. Leave Sosuke!!
Daish wrote:
but whats with the dive down to protect instead of removing the threat at the end of episode 2? They probably didn't want juri actually getting hurt . be still seemed cheesy more than effective to me.

I agree on that too! I would have much rather Ruka to just give him one huge shove!
Go Ruka!

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Apr 24th, '08, 07:32

I dunno how you guys can watch each episode multiple times. :crazy:
As each episode progresses, I just find myself wanting to strangle Sousuke more and more.
:cussing: Including Michiru!

As for the whole Girl on Girl plot, it's interesting that they worked this in. I'm interested to see how Michiru responds to Ruka's affections.
I'm not really crushing on Ruka like most people here though because I see too much of myself in her. :lol

I noticed that the screenwriter has Kamisama, mou sukoshi dake and Love 2000 under their belt. There's some general overall themes that I'm seeing in all of these series...
namely the opening title sequence serving as a powerful visual representation of the drama's plot/theme. I think there's some clues that we can uncover from analyzing it.... hm.... :idea:

claza

Post by claza » Apr 24th, '08, 15:06

zeiroc wrote:Can I just profess how much I love the quiet version of "Prisoner of Love." It's so emotional and passionately composed. It moves you so deeply that it can easily bring you to tears without any vocals or lyrics required. Can't wait til it's official release on May 21.
Agreed. My eyes always gets wet whenever that comes on. The piano and strings arrangement is pure genius. I love it.

Saying 'Sousuke is creepy' is a complete understatement.
Tons of emotion towards the end of episode 3! Michiru breaking down - about time. When Prisoner of Love came on - the lyrics fit so much, I started to :cry:. What an emotional scene. I believe the drama will start to rise exponentially upwards very quickly after that scene.

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 24th, '08, 16:19

For those interested, I've uploaded a picture that I like at the moment - it's from a magazine which had an article of Last Friends - which explains why there's a line down the middle.

Anyway, hope some people like it!

If anyone knows of a higher quality version - pls tell me! Thanks :D
Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 3.jpg (169.38 KiB) Viewed 4281 times

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 24th, '08, 16:31

sleepyzzz wrote:For those interested, I've uploaded a picture that I like at the moment - it's from a magazine which had an article of Last Friends - which explains why there's a line down the middle.

Anyway, hope some people like it!

If anyone knows of a higher quality version - pls tell me! Thanks :D
I think someone posted this pic a while back... :)

^Yuuki

Post by ^Yuuki » Apr 24th, '08, 17:56

zeiroc wrote:Can I just profess how much I love the quiet version of "Prisoner of Love." It's so emotional and passionately composed. It moves you so deeply that it can easily bring you to tears without any vocals or lyrics required. Can't wait til it's official release on May 21.
I've always liked the ballad version of Flavor of Life better. Same goes to Prisoner of Love. There just seem to be more emotion in it? Anyway, Hikki's releasing a single of the song?? Wah, didn't know that. Looking forward to it. Her album sales are increasing again lately and we all know the reason for it. ;)
sleepyzzz wrote:Today is the day!! Can't wait for the raws to be out. These days I watch the each episode like 5 times haha Once without subs, once with suketeru's subs, once with Kioku's subs and a few more times while I wait for next episode! hahaha

Honestly, if Michiru doesn't retaliate soon I think people are going to get pissed. At least I will. Leave Sosuke!!
Daish wrote:
but whats with the dive down to protect instead of removing the threat at the end of episode 2? They probably didn't want juri actually getting hurt . be still seemed cheesy more than effective to me.

I agree on that too! I would have much rather Ruka to just give him one huge shove!
Go Ruka!
I rewatch it too. Only the Ruka parts mostly. Haha, can't stand the ones with Sousuke. And about the end of episode 2,
Her first instinct was to protect Michiru. Not eliminate the source of the threat(hopefully that will come later...). Don't forget that she hurt her leg too so be to able to 'fly' all the way there is hard enough. So, add that to "Don't touch my Michiru!", it's all totally fine for me. =3
amrayu wrote:namely the opening title sequence serving as a powerful visual representation of the drama's plot/theme. I think there's some clues that we can uncover from analyzing it.... hm....
Yeah, definitely. Plenty of imagery there that to dissect. The items especially, "red ribbon(thread) of fate", broken cup/glass, the keys, overflowing coffee, the (security) blanket... The actions, expressions and positions of the actors speaks louder than words. We just don't know for sure the meaning yet. Some are pretty obvious, the rest might have to wait for the series to unfold for us to see the significance. Seriously, one of the best opening sequence for a Drama series(most don't even have one...).

zeiroc

Post by zeiroc » Apr 24th, '08, 19:57

amrayu wrote:I dunno how you guys can watch each episode multiple times.
We just need something to distract us with the wait :-) 2 times is enough for me...but I choose specific scenes because of the score/music.
amrayu wrote:I'm not really crushing on Ruka like most people here though because I see too much of myself in her. :lol
Totally agree!I think I like her character a lot because her interests (except the liking Michiru part), clothing style and personality are kind of similar to mine.

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 24th, '08, 20:36

My god this thread moves at godly speed... I can barly keep p, like 2 pages a day, oh my god. But Anyways, I just started downloading episode 3... My girlfriend ssid she cried at the end and now understands why eita acts like he does around girl. I need to watch this pronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Apr 24th, '08, 21:16

^Yuuki wrote: Yeah, definitely. Plenty of imagery there that to dissect. The items especially, "red ribbon(thread) of fate", broken cup/glass, the keys, overflowing coffee, the (security) blanket... The actions, expressions and positions of the actors speaks louder than words. We just don't know for sure the meaning yet. Some are pretty obvious, the rest might have to wait for the series to unfold for us to see the significance. Seriously, one of the best opening sequence for a Drama series(most don't even have one...).
I think the parts with the actors/actresses are the most powerful also. But I think their fate is all tied to that one word that appears beside them in the sequence. It'll be exciting to see how the drama plays out compared to the opening sequence. All I know right now is that it's definitely not a happy ending. -_-;;
zeiroc wrote: We just need something to distract us with the wait 2 times is enough for me...but I choose specific scenes because of the score/music.
Ah, I see. That makes more sense. My blood just boils when I see Sousuke... so watching an episode more than once is gonna drive me crazy. :lol
zeiroc wrote: Totally agree!I think I like her character a lot because her interests (except the liking Michiru part), clothing style and personality are kind of similar to mine.
I'm not exactly the spitting image of Ruka, but I do relate to her very well (including the whole girl-on-girl thing too!).
My workplace is male-dominated, I'm a total tech geek, and back in high school I was very protective of my female friends. :)

As for other female viewers who are crushin' on Ruka, don't worry, it's not weird at all. I think it's sorta natural that females are somewhat bi-curious, whether they admit it or not.

nokchan

Post by nokchan » Apr 24th, '08, 21:19

Joining in really late

I just got to watch the first Last friends episodes and I was between shocked and blown away.

I *heart* the opening sequence. I think that is something that I watched the most, because YES I watched the episodes multiple times already.

I have to have an gif with Eitas Agony shot. If I heart something more then the opening its Eita. But later to that

My sister (who doesn't watch tvshows at all but loves me) discussed LF today and there where several things we came up with

At first we don't think that Ruka is going to have a sex change. You don't need a gynacologist for it. You need a plastic surgeon. So I think it is a medical problem. BTW who says that her father wouldn't know about her being a hermaphrodite? It's not a thing you mention everytime you talk like:" I know it's not about being a guy or a girl. Especially you being not fish or meat, not tofu nor steak, right?"

Secondly, my sister was like, the death is either a Desperate Housewives thingy (you know Michiru actually being dead) or and thats what I believe it Eri. Why Eri? The show likes to go for the shock effect. And it think it will be suicide. Michiru talked about her not knowing what was going on in peoples heart (Eri in love with Takeru? Ruka?), she is obviously lonely but puts on the happy face. She is the last person somebody would expect to do such thing.

But that are just my two cents

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 24th, '08, 21:19

amrayu wrote:I think it's sorta natural that females are somewhat bi-curious, whether they admit it or not.
And it seems to be equally natural for us guys to want to watch... :mrgreen:

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Apr 24th, '08, 21:42

nokchan wrote: I *heart* the opening sequence. I think that is something that I watched the most, because YES I watched the episodes multiple times already.
Me too. :wub:
At first we don't think that Ruka is going to have a sex change. You don't need a gynacologist for it. You need a plastic surgeon. So I think it is a medical problem.
I agree with you on this point.
Based on how I perceive Ruka, she seems like a person comfortable in her own skin.
So, why would she go through a sex change?

jigenbakuda

Post by jigenbakuda » Apr 24th, '08, 22:12

bmwracer wrote:
amrayu wrote:I think it's sorta natural that females are somewhat bi-curious, whether they admit it or not.
And it seems to be equally natural for us guys to want to watch... :mrgreen:
lol, sou desu ne :thumright:

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 24th, '08, 23:00

nokchan wrote:

Secondly, my sister was like, the death is either a Desperate Housewives thingy (you know Michiru actually being dead) or and thats what I believe it Eri. Why Eri? The show likes to go for the shock effect. And it think it will be suicide. Michiru talked about her not knowing what was going on in peoples heart (Eri in love with Takeru? Ruka?), she is obviously lonely but puts on the happy face. She is the last person somebody would expect to do such thing.

But that are just my two cents
As much as I wish for more development of this character, I doubt there'll be any :glare: or just barely... which somehow makes me upset :x well, I guess they rather focus on the main 'triangle' (or rectangle? if add Sosuke) since people are prob? more curious about how the girl girl relationship goes on & Eri just being a side character who's content to be there to entertain the scenes :| .. So yea, in order to create the shock effect & some 'memory' for this character ,we'd have certainly some unawaited twists (or the other guy that i dun't remmber name)
Personally, if it really happens that way, it'll ruin the whole thing to me .. because it means a good character is going to die, and we're not sure about the psycho's ending. If not dead, better be arrested & put in jail ...

QNSpider

Post by QNSpider » Apr 24th, '08, 23:58

I heard the 3rd episode is really sad towards the end.

I can't wait for it... >_<

This show totally made me fail my bio lab final.... XD

roon

Post by roon » Apr 25th, '08, 00:04

Spoilers for Ep3

Interesting foreshadowing or red herring?
This scene broke my heart.
At the end, when Ruka goes to answer the door to a beaten up Michiru.. the shirt Ruka is wearing has angel wings on the back.

Takeru's voiceover from the present says:
「君は あのとき 心に決めたんだな。
これから先 何があっても 命を懸けても 美知留を守るって」
"At that time, you realized you'd protect Michiru no matter what, even if it meant risking your life."

More signs they're throwing that point to Ruka being the one who dies. But it's so obvious that it can't be true, right?!
I don't think I've gotten so emotionally involved like this from a show before, so this is KILLER on my Thursdays.

Also, I LOVE the full version of the Prisoner of Love instrumental that they're using. The way the strings swell during the "Stay with me..." part is so heartbreaking.
Last edited by roon on Apr 25th, '08, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Rori

Post by Rori » Apr 25th, '08, 01:16

Episode 3
Sosuke went TOO f***ing far this time :cussing:
Michiru better stay well away now. The last scene really was heartbreaking.

(do excuse me for my language)

nouriko

Post by nouriko » Apr 25th, '08, 01:52

waiting for each episode is such toturinT_T
cant wait for episode3^^ this drama is so interesting esp Ueno! very interesting role, so different from Nodame :D
Last edited by nouriko on Apr 25th, '08, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 25th, '08, 02:54

oooh I can't wait for episode 3! The first thing I did this morning when I woke up was to see whether the 1280 version was out yet! haha There it was waiting! Immediately started to download it while I head off to work. Can't wait to go home and watch it!

nicha89

Post by nicha89 » Apr 25th, '08, 03:07

i dont know if i should watch ep 3 now. if I watch it i'll definitely be dying to see ep 4 which won't be up until next week XD. moreover, it without subs. i also watched ep 2 raw, too,' cause i couldnt even wait for the subs^^"

kandysakura

Post by kandysakura » Apr 25th, '08, 03:10

epi 3....
omg. it was soo sad. i cried like everyone else.
how could sosuke do this to her!!!! grr!!!
and the voice overs...
somehow im getting really suspicious about whats going to happen to ruka.
michiru and takeru always talk about her in narrative like... im not really sure.
im still guessing that ruka is the one that dies in the end.
and that michiru and takeru would have a relationship in the near future.
but something bothers me.... from epi 1...
in the first part of the epi, when michiru looks at the pictures,
theres only michiru, takeru and ruka.
like theres 1 piccy with eri and the other guy too included,
but the ones that she contemplates on are only of those 3.
maybe im just thinking too much.
i guess it might just be a hint that shes the comic relief...

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Apr 25th, '08, 03:44

Just finished watching Episode 3.
The domestic violence plot is getting old already... I know that in real life it's not as easy as flicking off a switch, but seeing Michiru constantly going back to Sosuke is frustrating to watch... They seem to be a match made in hell: he appears to be into sadomasochism and she's apparently a masochist...

I was and wasn't surprised to see her at the door of Eri's home.

I'm more interested in the stories/relationships of the people in Eri's home... I hope they start fleshing out those stories in the upcoming episodes.

I'm getting closer and closer to fast forwarding the parts with Sosuke and Michiru... It's getting too stereotypical and tiresome.

nicha89

Post by nicha89 » Apr 25th, '08, 05:43

^yeah
the DV scenes are getting repetitive now. but i almost cried when michiru went out at night and asked ruka to be her friends forever, and also at the end when she came to see ruka. i was touched *-*. actually i thought that it was sousuke that came to see ruka lol, but it was actually the beat up michiru.
i'm kinda more curious to know takeru's story now. and eri and the other guy are kinda cute together xD

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 25th, '08, 06:47

Yea, they focus alot on the main characters & we know their problems already, so it's getting repetitive to me too.. I'd like to know more about the other characters, Takeru, Eri & that guy..

If next episode, Michiru still hesist to move out & makes everyone suffer (esp Ruka), I'll strangle her O_o