What's your ethinicity??

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.

What ethnicity are you?

Korean
4%
Filipino
9%
Japanese
3%
Japanese
3%
European
17%
Chinese
22%
Other
20%
Vietnamese
12%
Southeast Asian
9%

Total votes: 1409

yakitori

Post by yakitori » Jan 30th, '05, 21:20

Btw i abosulutely LURVE Korean and Japanese Dramas! (not only Chinese, in case my previous post leads readers to believe otherwise). :D

But i'm really happy to see so many people from diverse cultures here! :D D-Addicts is truly a happy family with members from all over the world!

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Jan 30th, '05, 21:46

Hey every one!!
I'm representing POLAND. That's soooooooooo cool I'm not the only one :D

jaaa neee

qoogirl

Post by qoogirl » Jan 31st, '05, 03:39

I had to post also because some people are also misconstruing ethnicity, nationality, culture, and race into the same category. Why? Because I'm getting my BA in Ethnic Studies and Asian Studies. Hahaha, I am predisposed.

Race (things like "Asian/Pacific Islander," "Black," "White") is a created concept to encompass people of similar physical appearance and geography into the same categories. Race does not exist in reality, it's just commonly used. There is nothing biological that makes a race. Race wouldn't be able to group the indiginous people of Australia because it doesn't follow the mysterious color/geographic code that "race" seems to do, hahaha.

Nationality is where your citizenship is legally. That said, one may in fact be Canadian while having spent an entire life in Botswana, and one's parents may have Botswana on their passports--even be ethnically from somewhere in Botswana since way back when--and the nationality is still Canadian.

Ethnicity is everything I haven't listed. It's your culture, the language your ancestors spoke should you know, it's the society that you yourself identify most with. Which is why, in this instance, ethnicity is more diverse than just listing the technical ethnic origins from which you come. That's why North Korean can be an arguable ETHNIC identity from South Koreans. And Pakistanis from Indians. And so forth.

On that note, I was an "OTHER."
I am assuming that the other includes Hispanics, Chicanos, Caribbean islanders, Native Central Americans/Native Americans/Canadians, Arabs, Sub-Saharan Africans, Somalians, Ethiopians and all the others in between or of multiple ethnic identities.
*lol* :mrgreen:

Alveric

A Global Family

Post by Alveric » Jan 31st, '05, 04:10

We really are from everywhere and nowhere. Me, I'm from Panama, Central America. My ancestors include Native American, Spaniards, Blacks, Chinese, among others. I'm every race and none whatsoever since in Panama all races have blended, you get caucasian people with chinese last names and blacks with spanish last names, etc. Let's stick to our global citizenship folks!, forget about races and countries, this planet is not that big anyway.... Ciao, Au Revoir, Adios, Bye, ja nee!

deadhippo

Post by deadhippo » Feb 1st, '05, 18:10

I'm irish
at least 4th generation
im proud to be irish as most irish are but i suspect it doesnt go back much further than 4 or 5 generations for reasons left unsaid to avoid uneccessary debate
ethnicity is a very difficult topic
i mean at what point do you stop going back to figure out ethnic origin
being irish should mean you are a celt, not only a celt but a gael
but the reality is most irish have mixed blood
the origin of the gaels is still quite a mystery having their own unique language (albeit spoken, not written)
people can only theorise about it
the fact that Bengali is the closest language to gaelic does give pause for thought though

silzii

Post by silzii » Feb 1st, '05, 18:33

:lol Chinese, chinese, chinese!! I'm known as a BBC (brtish born chinese) because I was born in the U.K.
I speak, read, write cantonese + a bit of mandarin but sometimes I forget one or two characters.
Although I'm chinese, most of the time I'm mistaken as a japanese even in Hong Kong or China! My native countries :cry:!

snOOpy

Post by snOOpy » Feb 1st, '05, 18:38

Well I guess I am about 1/4-Chinese and 3/4 Vietnamese .. The 1/4 came from my ancestor but born and grew up in Vietnam ...

sakuradropsph

Light this World

Post by sakuradropsph » Feb 1st, '05, 19:07

To the person who started this topic, I think this is a great thread. It promotes PRIDE OF HERITAGE at the same time it's opening up our MINDS about the many faces that light this world.

As for me, I'm proud to be FILIPINO, mind, body and soul.

Frankly speaking, the Philippines is quite a melting pot of cultures, you'd see traditional Malayan features, then you'd see Filipinos with Hispanic features, next to that person would be a Chinese-Filipino kid, then a Caucasian-Filipino, then an African-American-Filipino, the list goes on and on.

What is important is that we know who we are first from our family, then our country and the history of our people, the new cultures we encounter in our lives, the history of this world from A-Z, and most importantly, present history, NOW, like the crusade against AIDS, Iraq, poverty and famine, and the most recent tsunami that affected Asia and Africa.

Sorry for this very long post. My hands sort of have a life of their own. :mrgreen:

As they say, It's a small world after all. :D

lilrabbit

Post by lilrabbit » Feb 2nd, '05, 19:48

I'm at least 1/2 Chinese, Filipino, and a little Spanish (like 1/16, but this gets a funny reaction sometimes...I guess since it's so small ^^; ). My nationality is American, and as far as I know, I'm 100% human race. :P

lorkhan83

Post by lorkhan83 » Feb 3rd, '05, 00:14

Italo-Korean! :roll

manderley_angel

Post by manderley_angel » Feb 3rd, '05, 00:29

Filipino!!! heck yeah.... full blooded Pinay here!!! ^^

weeheeee... long live d-addicts!!!!

all the asian dramas? i say keep 'em coming!!!

apples

Post by apples » Feb 3rd, '05, 05:42

100% Filipino here as well

gullybe

Post by gullybe » Feb 3rd, '05, 06:30

I guess 3 filipinos in a row! :P

7/8 Filipino and 1/8 Chinese here!

haha! :D

Drama_Mania

Post by Drama_Mania » Feb 3rd, '05, 06:37

GUESS WHAT FOUR Filipino in a row!!!!! :w00t: :w00t:
Pure Filipino

Ken-Tog

Post by Ken-Tog » Feb 3rd, '05, 06:41

:P sorry for breaking the chain but i'm 100% jap!!!!

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Feb 3rd, '05, 07:15

hmm...interesting...I think I am the only Indian here :D .well born in India but raised in Singapore for most of my life.....hmm..are there anymore indians here..lol..(please be at least one in here somewere..lol) if not..damn...that would be just too freaky being the only one in here..ahahahaha :)...but I donn feel too indian..might be cus I donn know my roots/forgot all about it..

MonsieurCampeur

Post by MonsieurCampeur » Feb 3rd, '05, 07:23

I'm Hmong.

deelow

Korean

Post by deelow » Feb 3rd, '05, 07:44

Korean-American. My parents emigrated to the U.S. in the 1960's and I was born and raised in Cali.

I only started watching Kdramas and Kmovies in the past year or so to work on my Korean. I never imagined that I would get swept up in it like my parents and relatives. Lots of ethnicities here in Cali so the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. It's the Korean wave baby, catch it.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Feb 3rd, '05, 07:54

in response to qoogirl:

i'm defined as being:
race-asian
nationality-american
ethnicity-vietnamese

no matter; still enjoy dramas as much as ever!!! :D :lol :D :lol

marit
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marit » Feb 3rd, '05, 08:49

blackstarjr wrote:are there anymore indians here..lol..(please be at least one in here somewere..lol) if not..damn...that would be just too freaky being the only one in here..
I know what you mean.. I am 99% sure, that I am the only estonian here :D
Still it doesn`t matter, I am just happy that I found ppl who love dramas as much and even more than I do ... I don`t feel lonely anymore :lol

Acke

Post by Acke » Feb 3rd, '05, 08:49

Can you write "Scandinavian" ? :D

btw.. im Swede :D i think it's quite many pps from Scandinavia, so it would be fun to see.

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Feb 4th, '05, 03:14

I'm a Filipino with Spanish and Chinese blood (or so they say). :D

Yukino Miyazawa

Multi-cultural child

Post by Yukino Miyazawa » Feb 4th, '05, 03:23

I'm multi-cultural. Half asian Half European. Technically, half Filipino, a quarter Czech, and a quarter Polish. But there's a lot more in my blood than that. I hear there's some Spaniard, Mongolian, Chinese, Malaysian, German, Russian, Middle Eastern, and Native American. So, I guess I qualify for "other"...

Hey, I have a question for anyone Filipino. Do you know where you can go to see any Filipino movies or series besides the Asian stores? All I can find Korean, Japanese, and Chinese - which isn't bad coz I love em, but it'd be nice to get something my mom can understand...

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multi-cultural child

Post by xiaryx » Feb 4th, '05, 03:30

Yukino Miyazawa wrote:I'm multi-cultural. Half asian Half European. Technically, half Filipino, a quarter Czech, and a quarter Polish. But there's a lot more in my blood than that. I hear there's some Spaniard, Mongolian, Chinese, Malaysian, German, Russian, Middle Eastern, and Native American. So, I guess I qualify for "other"...

Hey, I have a question for anyone Filipino. Do you know where you can go to see any Filipino movies or series besides the Asian stores? All I can find Korean, Japanese, and Chinese - which isn't bad coz I love em, but it'd be nice to get something my mom can understand...
Welcome to D-addicts! I think Fantastic Super Club has a couple of Filipino movies. You can definitely try that out.

Vatima Corlati

Post by Vatima Corlati » Feb 4th, '05, 06:19

Amazed to see how many chinese forumers here. ^_^

I'm Filipino.

antabaka

Post by antabaka » Feb 4th, '05, 06:55

i'm just asian...
well to be more precise...

chinese
cambodian
laotian

but mostly american inside...

egmluvr

Post by egmluvr » Feb 5th, '05, 18:34

There should be mexican-american :mrgreen:

marit
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marit » Feb 5th, '05, 19:23

Acke wrote:Can you write "Scandinavian" ? :D
was this question to me? if yes, then sadly no :( I had the opportunity to learn swedish, but I didn`t take it, because I was already too busy then.. but now I kinda feel bad that I didn`t took it :P It would have been pretty fun to understand swedish.. every new language is fun and interesnting, ne? :-)

beer

Post by beer » Feb 10th, '05, 04:26

marit wrote:I am 99% sure, that I am the only estonian here :D
:lol

skyskid

Post by skyskid » Feb 10th, '05, 06:26

I am southeast Asian, 100% Laotian.
But born in Canada.

Funny how in Canada, we consider ourselves whatever our origin is (back as far as we can remember in ancestry) and then we only call ourselves Canadians when we can't think of anything.

But, then America is a "melting pot" and others add "American" to whatever their ethnicity is.

Not making fun of people, I just think it's odd.

dznutz

any non asians here?

Post by dznutz » May 16th, '05, 18:11

just curious. i'm guessing all of us are yellow folk.

Gir

Post by Gir » May 16th, '05, 18:27

not quite. :P

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » May 16th, '05, 18:28

Yes!At least one :D

sosushi2

Not me

Post by sosushi2 » May 16th, '05, 18:33

One more here.

ookamiki

Post by ookamiki » May 16th, '05, 18:37

here one again....

plongan

Re: any non asians here?

Post by plongan » May 16th, '05, 18:42

dznutz wrote:just curious. i'm guessing all of us are yellow folk.
maybe not "all" but it's a good guess ;)

aoi_hana

Post by aoi_hana » May 16th, '05, 18:44

yellow folk? Never heard that before... :unsure:

And I'm non-asian as well.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » May 16th, '05, 18:59

:lol And here's yet another!

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » May 16th, '05, 19:01

Here's a poll that was created a while ago:

What's your ethnicity?

Other - 19% [ 70 votes ]
European - 15% [ 56 votes ]
**Although I'm not sure if European could be called non-asian, since many asians live in Europe also**
Total Votes : 368

okumasama

Post by okumasama » May 16th, '05, 19:16

はい :cheers:

Sailor Wicca

Post by Sailor Wicca » May 16th, '05, 19:18

I am Caucasian. X3

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » May 16th, '05, 19:24

one right here...I am neiither black/white/yellow..I am the other one..lol
hmm..didn't we already have a thread like this running before..ah well..doesn't really matter now

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » May 16th, '05, 19:34

My ancestry is (mainly) Swiss if you go back far enough, but my family has been in the US for many, many generations. LOL Like most Americans, I am a mutt - blue eyes, auburn hair and very pale skin. (I sunburn after 30 minutes even with SPF 45).

white.raine

Post by white.raine » May 16th, '05, 19:45

I'm white Canadian. A little mix of Polish, Dutch, Scottish, Welsch, Irish and of course, English. But I call myself Canadian and I'm happy to be so.

Edit: my friends call me asian, but they're well white-washed so I don't think it would be hard to 'out-asian' them.

Phinn

Post by Phinn » May 16th, '05, 19:51

I'm 'British' and 'white' as I filled in on my census form :) Of Welsh descent mostly :P

kenshinh

Post by kenshinh » May 16th, '05, 19:59

phinn, downsample your mp3's to 192 kbps

lol

:)

doc_tomoe

Post by doc_tomoe » May 16th, '05, 20:06

i'm german

jainah

Post by jainah » May 16th, '05, 20:09

I'm from France and Morocco...

rurichan

Post by rurichan » May 16th, '05, 20:12

I'm mixed Korean/White.....any mutts out there like me? I know we are a growing breed...

pariah_dog

Post by pariah_dog » May 16th, '05, 20:41

How many of these threads are we going to have? Cust curious. But since I've replied already... Increment that caucasian tally by one. By 'European' I think people are talking about ancestry. I don't think caucasian literally means white man or whatever. Of European (anything west of "Asia") ancestry is what it really means regardless of the actual shade of your (untanned) skin. If your family hails from both Europe and Asia then you are Eurasian. Eurasians are probably some of the best looking people on the planet (think of a young Jane March (who's part Chinese)). Perhaps in the distant future everyone will have a mix of Asian and Eurasian features. In addition to the flying cars of course.

]^KiRa^[

Post by ]^KiRa^[ » May 17th, '05, 11:45

I'm spanish :P

dznutz

Post by dznutz » May 17th, '05, 22:39

pariah_dog wrote:How many of these threads are we going to have? Cust curious. But since I've replied already... Increment that caucasian tally by one. By 'European' I think people are talking about ancestry. I don't think caucasian literally means white man or whatever. Of European (anything west of "Asia") ancestry is what it really means regardless of the actual shade of your (untanned) skin. If your family hails from both Europe and Asia then you are Eurasian. Eurasians are probably some of the best looking people on the planet (think of a young Jane March (who's part Chinese)). Perhaps in the distant future everyone will have a mix of Asian and Eurasian features. In addition to the flying cars of course.
links? i'm new here.

Jules

Post by Jules » May 17th, '05, 23:15

well, If your asian, you dont really need to come here unless you would like to translate, as you understand the language, you dont need subtitles for most stuff.. right? :o unless its like a japanese guy liking korean dramaz or something :blink

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » May 17th, '05, 23:37

rurichan wrote:I'm mixed Korean/White.....any mutts out there like me? I know we are a growing breed...
LOL, mutts, breed....great choice of words. do you happened to have dog in your blood by any chance? :P

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » May 17th, '05, 23:44

I'm a Caucasian female as well. :lol.. oh well, we're still a minority here.

rocklee

Post by rocklee » May 18th, '05, 00:24

me. im not asian...well, im 1/4 korean, but i don't really think that counts because i never learned to speak it or anything. took japanese in college tho. my fiance is chinese. so i guess im asian by marriage

ch3

Post by ch3 » May 18th, '05, 01:22

rocklee wrote:me. im not asian...well, im 1/4 korean, but i don't really think that counts because i never learned to speak it or anything. took japanese in college tho. my fiance is chinese. so i guess im asian by marriage
LOL, you are not asian but 1/4 korean? Did you know that are a law that said if you have a little mix of blood, you are not white even you look white like Vanilla ice!

Mattman

Post by Mattman » May 18th, '05, 07:40

50% dutch, 50% german, 100% european

rocklee

Post by rocklee » May 18th, '05, 16:36

i guess i meant ethnically, i was raised white...no asian traditions, language, etc.

Sakurasan

Post by Sakurasan » May 18th, '05, 16:40

Wow I thought everyone were Americans, actually I'm Swedish, though very addicted to Japan and Japanese guys :wub: :wub: :wub:

Shindou-Kun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Shindou-Kun » May 18th, '05, 18:38

I'm Caucasian.

eiman

Post by eiman » May 18th, '05, 19:05

spanish ^^

MissCli

Post by MissCli » May 18th, '05, 19:09

european :)

Starfire12

Post by Starfire12 » May 19th, '05, 17:57

German living in Sweden. Watching Asian Movies since 2 years. Asian Series since 9 months (ROTK & The Sandglass down only a few gazillion more to go :D currently watching Damo)

charger10s

Post by charger10s » May 19th, '05, 20:50

White dude in Florida here

tszyan

Post by tszyan » May 21st, '05, 06:35

you will be surprised. there are actually more than "non yellow people" that watch or like asian stuff than you think. it's amazing. that hollywoodbowl korean concert. ..it was amazing. i saw every different nationaliilty there. it was scary.

n_lotus

Post by n_lotus » May 22nd, '05, 13:40

It seems that Africa is out of the game :D

But I really wonder if there is anyone from Africa just to give me support :lol

damarikomu

Post by damarikomu » May 22nd, '05, 14:02

hehe, I'm "white" lol

Starfire12

Post by Starfire12 » May 22nd, '05, 15:25

tszyan wrote:you will be surprised. there are actually more than "non yellow people" that watch or like asian stuff than you think.
It might have something to do with that Asians can watch those series here on their regular TV program while Europeans cannot. Unless TV stations in Europe wise up and buy some broadcasting rights to those series most of us will be getting our stuff from here or on DVD.

Kazu-Chan

Post by Kazu-Chan » May 22nd, '05, 15:30

im a not asain

xxxcandyxxx

Post by xxxcandyxxx » May 22nd, '05, 15:37

i'm european :)

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » May 22nd, '05, 15:40

It never even occured to me that most of the people here would be of asian descent. :D

kaname

Post by kaname » May 22nd, '05, 15:43

What does it matter and who really cares.....my race race is the only one that counts....human....have a nice day.

Nerina

Post by Nerina » May 22nd, '05, 15:45

German, but half Serbian and there is some Hungarian blood flowing through me as well... :D

I also thought that most of the people here would be non-Asian...I'm surprised!!

VietZeus

Post by VietZeus » May 23rd, '05, 04:02

Mom is vietnamese and dad is American.

I don't look like white except for my height.