Fake/broken seeds?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
flinx

Fake/broken seeds?

Post by flinx » Oct 16th, '10, 16:26

I observed something strange while uploading earlier - a torrent I created myself showed as having 4 seeds after a while, even though I hadn't completed seeding a complete copy yet. Is there something wrong with the tracker (publicbt udp) , or are there BT clients that mistakenly report themselves as being seeds? My IP hasn't changed and I haven't disconnected, so it shouldn't have registered multiple times.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 16th, '10, 16:33

It looks like someone had the file from another source, renamed it and helped seed. It happens.
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Oct 16th, '10, 16:52

I help seeding batch torrents, if i have all parts. i think this is not unusal for older files.
I dont know, if it happen by newer stuff.

The Chaos
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by The Chaos » Oct 16th, '10, 16:57

its happened to me too with 3 seeders other than me but they don't help seeding at all :unsure:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 16th, '10, 17:11

Weird, I had the same situation, but I thought it's the situation I said before. Seems like it's not the case.
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Oct 16th, '10, 17:38

I see the same thing with the publicbt tracker. Often it will show that there are other seeders but even if I restart the torrent as a leecher I cannot connect to them. My guess is they are ghost connections left over from when the tracker loses track of the peers and then reconnects without clearing the old ones. Another reason I miss the D-addicts tracker. :-(

RB

Post by RB » Oct 16th, '10, 17:56

Just check the ips of those ghosts whenever you find them. If the same ips appear in different torrents, it is likely a bot connecting to the torrent to gather statistics.

flinx

Post by flinx » Oct 16th, '10, 18:04

Definitely not a case of someone else having the file, as it's rather unique. I can also tell by the availability number in utorrent.

flinx

Post by flinx » Oct 16th, '10, 18:06

RB wrote:Just check the ips of those ghosts whenever you find them. If the same ips appear in different torrents, it is likely a bot connecting to the torrent to gather statistics.
How? They're not showing up in the list of connected peers (and being "seeds", they shouldn't)

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Oct 16th, '10, 18:07

RB wrote:Just check the ips of those ghosts whenever you find them. If the same ips appear in different torrents, it is likely a bot connecting to the torrent to gather statistics.
Well that's the thing, there are no peers to connect to just the erroneous stats from the tracker. I checked the logging console in Azurues and there is no trace of another seed. Some of the things I've seeded are rare so I doubt there were ever any other seeders to begin with. I assume those phantom peers are most likely my own ghosts that the traker accumulates when it loses track of my connection because of timeouts etc.

RB

Post by RB » Oct 16th, '10, 19:47

Shouldn't do that, since you are connecting from the same IP, port and same client ID...

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Oct 17th, '10, 04:41

RB wrote:Shouldn't do that, since you are connecting from the same IP, port and same client ID...
Shouldn't does not mean can't. :P I recall that the D-Addicts tracker did the same thing once or twice back in the day.