uTorrent very slow, eating memory?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

uTorrent very slow, eating memory?

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 25th, '10, 16:07

I really don't know what to do.
uTorrent are very slow, not downloading/uploading, but the program itself. Seems to be since at least the previous update before the one that was today up to version 2.0.4.
Could also be the (large) number of torrents active at start-up of the program. At the moment 16 UL slots, 15 torrents of ToE. *ouch* One reason I like batches more. At least there will be less next month.
Any suggestions. Use another client, but I rather not do it.
I've tried have less upload slots but it doesn't seem to solve it.

Computer specs
Windows XP Professional (version 2002) SP3 (Swedish version)
CPU: 2 processors running - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
CPU Speed: 2.29 GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Video Card Driver Version: 6.14.11.7519
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output
Sound Card Driver Version: 5.10.0.5436
Network card: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Driver version: 10.51.5.9

Processes and Performance under spoiler.
Not all are visible, listed the ones using most memory. Image
Most of the time I'm running the following programs: Xplorer2 Lite (instead of Windows Explorer), uTorrent, FireFox (mostly 3-4 tabs, one of them being Gmail) and MSN.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Sep 25th, '10, 18:30

Is uTorrent that slow or not downloading/uploading at all? Is your entire internet connection affected or only uTorrent? I doubt the Vista and Nero search/index apps would affect performance that much. First try downloading a torrent with a large swarm (100+ peers). If it's only a problem with uTorrent try downgrading to an older version. If not run a speed test on your connection.

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 25th, '10, 21:56

saigo_x wrote:Is uTorrent that slow or not downloading/uploading at all? Is your entire internet connection affected or only uTorrent? I doubt the Vista and Nero search/index apps would affect performance that much. First try downloading a torrent with a large swarm (100+ peers). If it's only a problem with uTorrent try downgrading to an older version. If not run a speed test on your connection.
It has nothing to do with the download/upload speed. It's more like the program is slow (when you have too little memory) this seems to happen especially when i start uTorrent.
Could add to that I use Panda Antivirus.(product called Panda Antivirus for Netbooks).
Downgrading is maybe an option.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Sep 25th, '10, 22:44

Ok from the memory usage image you have.

The number one memory hog is Firefox, every new tab is like a new browser open. But that known about Firefox. Switch to Google Chrome. Some people claim that memory usage drop to 25% compare to Firefox. Remember to clear the cache once in while to speed your browser up. plugin-container.exe is started by Firefox for Flash and etc.

The 2nd memory hog is searchindexer.exe, which I think iTune installed on your computer. This is running in the background indexing your file system for iTune for god knows what reason. Either stop searchindexer.exe from running by using CCleaner to disable it's start up or just UNINSTALL the crappy iTune software and find a 3rd party program for your iPod.

The 3rd memory hog are are all of services that starts with NMxxxxx,exe being run by Nero. Again it got indexing, monitoring, indexstore. I pretty much stop using Nero when it start getting bloated couple versions ago. For free CD/DVD burner try ImgBurn, for commercial one which includes BluRay try Ashampoo burning studio.

Been running utorrent 2.0.4 for a day now on X4 AMD with 4GB of memory on Win7 64bit. Didn't notice any different. Big memory hog for me is Firefox 250M but with 12 tabs open, then Thunderbird (54M), explorer(windows GUI using 50M), Skype(50M), and then utorrent(40M with 20 torrent running).
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

nikniknik

Post by nikniknik » Sep 26th, '10, 01:52

What build of 2.0.4 do you have? If you have build 21515 there supposedly is a bug in that build. I have build 21586 and have had no problems.

Hope this helps you. :D

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 26th, '10, 07:18

XrayMind
Is there any other browser than Chrome that is better than FireFox. What I miss i Chrome is the option of changing the background color/font color and which changes the appearance of all web pages, no matter how they were designed to look like.

Can I disable the Search Indexer (C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe /Embedding) without danger.
At the moment its startmethod is set to "Automatically" can/should I change that to "Disabled" so it does not start when Windows run.
And thank you for the suggestions of the CD/DVD programs. :)

nikniknik
Using build 22150.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Sep 27th, '10, 04:55

I only use Chrome on my laptop, but I kept Firefox on my desktop computer. I never really used the background and font color feature, so I won't know about it.

If you planning not uninstall the mother application, I would recommend using Ccleaner. Once you have it installed, open it. Use the "Tool" function, then select "Startup". Now you should see all of the programs that start when the computer boots up. I have 14 programs that wants to start, but I Disable most of them except for 6 programs. Sidebar(Vista/7 only), Skype, VirtualDrive, MSsecurity, itype(MS keyboard), and Dropbox. All of the Apple and Adobe startup app are disable.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.