Help... converting soft ass subs into hardsubs AVI files

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
kanji45

Help... converting soft ass subs into hardsubs AVI files

Post by kanji45 » Sep 22nd, '10, 20:18

My workaround; convert ass to srt then merge srt and video into an AVI file. But when I can convert ass into srt but I lose the text placement (location) and font style, plus converting to srt causes overlaying text due to timing issues... must be a better way, but I haven't found it... any suggestions is welcome. Thanks!

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Sep 23rd, '10, 02:53

You can't. The reason .ass was created because .srt doesn't have text styling built into the file. You can open a .srt file in text editor like notepad, it will show the ascending number, timing, and the text for each subtitle period. Nothing more than that. Open .ass file in a text editor, you will see styling setup for fonts and locations like stytlesheet for a webpage. Then each subtitle period is associated with some preset style or command to overwrite it's default setting.

Anyway, lot of hardware media players still only support .srt, because it easy. The just place the text on the lower part of the screen. It doesn't have to load in any special fonts, worry about placement of each subtitles or have to multiple subtitles being display as the same time with different fonts. Don't even want to get into fancy animated karaoke.

PS, if someone ask why all of the media players on Windows can play .ass easily. Well it's not the media players themselves, when you install one of the many codec packs out there, VSFilter is installed on Windows system and it does the .ass decoding and rendering for the media players. VLAN player has VSFilter builit-in, so Mac and Linux version can also display .ass correctly.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

kanji45

Post by kanji45 » Sep 23rd, '10, 17:01

XrayMind, Thanks for your comments and information. I sent you a PM.