Mp3 320 or VBR

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Mp3 320 or VBR

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 21st, '10, 22:09

I take an album as an example
We got the following

MP3 / 320 -> 150 MB
MP3 / V0 (VBR) -> 112 MB
FLAC / Lossless -> 433 MB

Looking at the file size I would exclude FLAC at once since it's so large, and my phones memory card is not that (?) big.
What is the difference between mp3 320 and VBR, just audio quality?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jul 22nd, '10, 08:43

The first two settings are from MP3 LAME encoder. 320 is maximum CBR(constant bitrate) at 320kbs(kilobits per second), most people can't tell the different this and original CD or FLAC lossless encoding. The V0 is the preset for VBR(variable bitrate) of 245kbs. Since it's variable, the actually bit rate changes from 220kbs to 260kps. Basically the quality of V0 is about same 320CBR.

There is a 3rd compression mode with LAME called ABR(average bitrate). It's compromise between VBR and CBR modes. Where it try to encode by varying bitrate around a specify bitrate. Well doesn't it sound like VBR? With VBR, the final file size varies depend on the audio it's encoding. With ABR, the final file size will be around the same size, if the bitrate and length are the same.

For example, I have 2 audio clips. Both are 1 minutes long, but 1st clip just a person talking. 2nd is music playing.

CBR using 245kbs, both output file size will be the same.
VBR using V0, the 1st file will be smaller than the 2nd file.
ABR using 245kbs, both output file size will be close to the same size and also with the CBR version.

Note: I haven't really test it out myself. But above example is what I came to from the Lame sample page from this link. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php ... ended_LAME

There is chart with all of the V0 to V9 bitrate and quality settings. So VBR give you the best bang for the buck, quality for the size.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 22nd, '10, 10:22

XrayMind wrote:So VBR give you the best bang for the buck, quality for the size.
Thank you very much for the wonderful explanation! :lol