Problems watching "Begin Japanology" episodes

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Kronos80

Problems watching "Begin Japanology" episodes

Post by Kronos80 » Jul 4th, '10, 22:13

Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum and very thankful for the "Begin Japanology" episodes, but unfortunately I have a serious problem.

After downloading an episode, I start my Windows Media Player (or Winamp, I tried both) to watch an episode. If it's in the avi version, the player just shows me the first 10 seconds of the episode (the NHK intro), as if there would just be these 10, and then stops. The file has the mentioned size, but I can't watch the whole thing.

What can I do? I already downloaded several codecs, but nothing worked.

Can anybody help me please?

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Jul 5th, '10, 04:40

Can you tell us which episode dont work for you.
Did you complete the download? Files size is no criterium for torrent download.

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Problems watching "Begin Japanology" episodes

Post by peacht » Jul 5th, '10, 05:40

Kronos80 wrote:Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum and very thankful for the "Begin Japanology" episodes, but unfortunately I have a serious problem.

After downloading an episode, I start my Windows Media Player (or Winamp, I tried both) to watch an episode. If it's in the avi version, the player just shows me the first 10 seconds of the episode (the NHK intro), as if there would just be these 10, and then stops. The file has the mentioned size, but I can't watch the whole thing.

What can I do? I already downloaded several codecs, but nothing worked.

Can anybody help me please?
In situations like this it's worth checking your file by running the torrent again to the directory holding your file. Your client should hash check your file. There may be some corruption causing the break.
You could try opening the file with Gspot a small app which will check your file and give info on the codecs etc.
I'd recommend getting rid of your random codecs and installing the cccp combined community codec pack and then using mpc or zoom player which are bundled with it.
Also try to play the file with vlcplayer which tends to play files other players have problems with.
If you have enjoyed series you found here then please help the community by offering to seed in Series Of The Month

Kronos80

Post by Kronos80 » Jul 5th, '10, 11:07

Thank you for the answers!

I tried several episodes, like the Hina Dolls, Five-Storey Pagodas, Nagasaki, Kimono, Abacus, Dagashi-ya and the Kydo episodes. I really completed them, but always the same.

I will download the episodes again, try the Gspot app, thanks for this hint, but I'm sure that I already installed the CCCP codecs.

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Jul 5th, '10, 11:45

Kronos80 wrote: I will download the episodes again, try the Gspot app, thanks for this hint, but I'm sure that I already installed the CCCP codecs.
Just to clarify that you shouldn't need to download the files again but simply use your torrent client to hash check the files by "downloading" the file to the directory that contains your already completed file.
If you have enjoyed series you found here then please help the community by offering to seed in Series Of The Month

Kronos80

Post by Kronos80 » Jul 5th, '10, 11:55

I tried it with the Hina Dolls episode, then downloaded the Gspot app and opened it with it. How could it help me then? It says, file length correct, codecs are installed and many other things.
How can the torrent hash check the file? I don't know how it does that.

I'm sorry for this bunch of questions, but I'm not really into this yet.

Kronos80

Post by Kronos80 » Jul 5th, '10, 12:18

Wow,

I opened the file with the zoom player, but didn't work. Then the VLC player, and it worked, thank you!

But which player do you use, I'd rather use my Windows Media Player, is there any chance to recode or so?

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Jul 5th, '10, 12:37

I have a mac and use a player called movist but for windows I always use mediaplayerclassic. Vlc is essential though for those files which prove problematic.

Kronos80

Post by Kronos80 » Jul 5th, '10, 12:51

Peacht, thank you very much for the help!

Do the episodes work on your computer with media player classic ? I tried it, they don't. I'm really happy, that I can watch them now via VLC, but still wondering why I had these problems and others don't.

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Jul 5th, '10, 15:14

I'm going to download some of these to check them out for you.
It seems that the files you have are fine and should play with any player so it's possible that you have some codec conflict. Vlc has inbuilt codecs so isn't using the same resources as other players.
I'd go to ad/remove programs, remove all codecs and codec packs and then run ccleaner to clear out the gunk. Then restart your pc and install cccp.
Have you had any problems with other Xvid files or just these?

I just downloaded the chopsticks episode and that played fine with mpc.

Kronos80

Post by Kronos80 » Jul 5th, '10, 15:29

Other xvid files work well, no problems, just all of the Begin Japanology episodes, I don't know why. Some of the episodes are in mp4, and they work great, also with the Windows Media Player.
I'm really interested in your experience with the episodes, try the Hina Dolls, one of the episodes I have problems with.

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Jul 5th, '10, 19:49

So I tried the Hina dolls episode and it's plays just fine in media player classic and zoom player. I don't have windows media player so can't test that.
I suggest the problem is with your system and probably your installed codecs.

Kronos80

Post by Kronos80 » Jul 6th, '10, 14:58

Thanks peacht,
I also downloaded some episodes from elsewhere (not via torrent) and they work without problems.
However, I searched on the "veoh.com" hp and there are plenty of Begin Japanology episodes which aren't available here. Do you know if somebody will upload them? How did the uploaders get the episodes, do they record them via television?

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Jul 6th, '10, 16:17

Most of the torrents here have come from other networks. Some are captured by members but I don't think this series has been. I believe Xraymind has found these on Share! but I'm not familiar with it. You'd have to ask him if more are available.
If you have episodes not available here then you could upload them. It would be good etiquette to speak with Xraymind about that first.