ASS & SRT Subtitle Playback DVD problem

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
kuma601

ASS & SRT Subtitle Playback DVD problem

Post by kuma601 » Sep 29th, '09, 06:27

It's really weird: both display fine on the pooter fine. Burned a disc for the DVD set top player...of the 11 episodes, only one episode does not display the subs. Have tried it in three different players and neither of them seem to read the sub file. All the other episodes using either are fine.

I've compared the beginning header info (using notepad) of the ASS to the other episode files and it does not appear to be different. Same with the SRT versions.

It's frustrating...can anyone explain what may be happening? :pale: :cussing:

TIA

raider73

Post by raider73 » Oct 1st, '09, 18:00

I am not sure what the problem was but I have had similar issues in the past and this is how I solve it. Make a new text file and then copy and paste the text from the old file to the new file and then save it and then rename the extension to .srt or .ass. This always worked for me. Hope that helps.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Oct 1st, '09, 18:27

kuma601,

Are the bunred DVDs being playing back on your computer or on a DivX DVD player?

I think the problem some of the softsub .srt and .ass files have Asian characters in the softsub files or the softsubs are not encoded in UTF-8 format. Edit do what raider73 said, or open the softsub file in Aegisub and save it in UTF-8 format.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Oct 2nd, '09, 07:27

Hmm...interesting. I also used to copy-paste into a known ascii text editor long ago when
trying to correct certain character/format issues. Nice to know it still can be used this way.
I'll see what happens.

It's also strange that there are still variables between players. I use three DIVX compatible players to test: Pioneer DV 400V, Toshiba K970 and a Samsung 1080P. For the most part, there are seldom video issues but the way subtitles display can be vastly different between them.

Thanks! :-)