A question about my DVD-CD burner

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

A question about my DVD-CD burner

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 27th, '09, 13:56

I'm having a ATAPI DVD A DH16A3S burner.
I have a question.
When I'm burning a data DVD that is 4,1GB with 16x writing speed - 22 160 kb/s it takes about 45 minutes to finish burning the DVD, it takes very long. I checked and I can't increase the writing speed, this is the highest I've got.
Nero begins burning the DVD, at first it says that 4 minutes remains, then when it's counted down to 0, it changes to 43 minutes left.
Is it just the fact that it's slow, or something else?

Edit: I've been trying to burn episodes of Yoshitsune from my 1TB HD. I did also try to bun other files (located on other HDs) zipped files, pictures, audio files. All of them took about 45 mintues. The DVD discs can't I really recall the name. I guess you could put them in the category of No-Name DVDs. Tomorrow I will go and buy some DVD discs of a more known brand, just so I can exclude the No-Name discs.
When burning the discs I had the box "Verify disc after burning" uncheck and checked "Establish maximum speed". I'm using a Swedish version of Nero so it may not be exactly what it says in English.

saigo_x

Re: A question about my DVD-CD burner

Post by saigo_x » Aug 28th, '09, 04:57

If you are just burning a data disc then it should only take about 5-6 minutes to burn a DVD-R at 16X. The fact that it starts off fast then slows down suggests it is not a configuration problem (I could be wrong though). First off try burning at a lower speed and see what happens. I always burn at 8X on my Sony DVD-RW because I noticed DVD-R's I burned at 16X would stutter on my Phillips DVD player. Disable the "Establish maximum speed" option and set the burn speed to 8X. At 8X it should only take 8-9 minutes to burn a full DVD-R. The "Verify disc after burning" will only add about 10 minutes to the entire burn process so I doubt that is the problem.

You should check the Transfer Mode settings in the Device Manager for whatever channel the burner is on. Make sure it is not in PIO mode. As I said above, If it starts off at the correct speed then I doubt this is the problem.

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 29th, '09, 13:48

Problem solved: Got a new burner, it appears that the end of the cable of the old burner were partially broken off at the end. Causing it to having bad connection. My guess is it this that made it take such a long time.
Now it works as it should - 3 and half minute to burn a 4 GB DVD with 20x speed.

raider73

Post by raider73 » Aug 30th, '09, 15:41

It may have been the cable but could have also been the drive's firmware. W/ dvd burners, the write speed instructions for certain media are in the firmware so if the dvd burner sees a medium that isn't on its media list, it will default to burning at the slowest speed which is usually 1X or 2X(in your case around 1X since 1X is 150KB/s and you stated 160KB/s).

Here's the latest firmware I found for your drive. Just try it first to see if it works.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_749- ... 4.zip.html