[Tutorial] Usenet/Newsgroups - How Do I Access & Use It?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Post Reply

Was this usenet tutorial helpful?

YES
46
78%
NO
6
10%
Don't Care
7
12%
 
Total votes: 59

mt877
Posts: 123
Joined: Mar 17th, '04, 14:24

[Tutorial] Usenet/Newsgroups - How Do I Access & Use It?

Post by mt877 » Sep 11th, '04, 03:52

Tutorial: Usenet - What is it? How do I access and use it?

I've seen several messages referring to usenet in the forums. I've even mentioned it in my own answers to others.
What I haven't seen is a simple explanation / tutorial about usenet and how it could be used to enhance or
supplement a d-addict's users audio and video sharing experience.

So I decided to demystify usenet for the casual audience and for those who would like to access and use usenet
for text based discussions in a variety of newsgroups (forums), and binary downloading from the "alt.binaries"
hierarchy of newsgroups.

What is it?...

Usenet refers to the collection of newsgroups which are distributed around the world on the Internet and other
networks. Each newsgroup acts as a public discussion forum and may be read by anyone at any Usenet
site worldwide using a newsreader. When a user posts an article to a newsgroup the article is distributed
around the Usenet network to those sites carrying the particular newsgroup. Thus, in a short time (10 minutes
to a few days), the article will reach an audience of many thousands (sometimes hundreds of thousands)
of people. Definition Source

How do I access usenet...

You may have access to usenet already and not know it. Many cable, dsl, and dial-up internet service providers (ISPs)
include usenet as part of the internet package you pay for. Check with your ISP if usenet is available. If it is,
you will need the newsserver name and find out if you need to authenticate for access (typically your normal
account login and password would be used, if needed).

If your ISP does not provide usenet access, you can still access usenet via a commercial usenet provider.
A few names come to mind, easynews, giganews, usenetserver. These usenet providers are known for
their reliable uptime, binary file retention and access to quite a few newsgroups not available from your
ISP provided usenet account.

So far so good, you either have access via your ISP or you set up an account with a commercial service. To connect
to your account, you'll need a newsreader. There are many newsreaders available, some are better than others.
If all you want is to participate in text only discussion newsgroups then you can use MSOutlook, For serious
usenet users I would recommend a newsreader that has both text reading and binary downloading capability.

To get you started....

For Windows users:

XNews - A freeware, text and binary on-line newsreader. Built in Yenc decoding. Supports multiple
newsservers. Excellent on-line documentation.

For Mac users:

MT-NewsWatcher - A freeware, text and binary on-line newsreader. Versions available for OS 9 and OS X.
Built in Yenc decoding. Supports multiple newsservers. Excellent on-line documentation.

For Linux users:

Pan - A GPL'd, text and binary on-line newsreader. Versions available for most flavors of Unix, MacOS X,
and Windows. Built in Yenc decoding. Multi-threading, don't know if it supports multiple newsservers.
On-line documentation is in the works, read the features and FAQ for now.

Please read the documentation for your newsreader for best results.

Okay, I think I've provided some helpful material to get you started. If you decide you like using usenet,
you can learn as you go.

Some tips:
  • When you setup your newsreader, NEVER use your real name or email address, but you probably already knew that. :-)
  • If you post messages or binaries from your ISP news account, your IP address will be revealed. For best anonymity
    subscribe to a reliable commercial usenet provider, you'll be happy you did.
  • Once you find a newsgroup you like, just hang out (lurk), sit back and get a feel for what the crowd is like by reading
    their message threads. Ask if a group FAQ is available. Not all groups have a FAQ, so be your courteous self.
  • Park your ego at the curb before entering a group. Flame wars can erupt when least expected over simple stupid
    misunderstanding and when people read too much into a message. Avoid trolls by kill filtering, Don't be drawn into
    their troll-bait messages. A few trolls can upset a newsgroup in short order, and the friends you made may turn
    against each other. Don't let this happen to your favorite newsgroup(s)!
  • Downloading binaries from usenet requires a new tool set that you'll have to obtain and get used to using.
    The attached FAQ from alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese, (aka abmj) is a very worthwhile read and
    covers just about everything you need to enjoy usenet in general and a visit to abmj in particular.

Some asian binaries newsgroups of interest:
  • alt.binaries.anime <-- anime movies and tv series fan-subbed
  • alt.binaries.asianusenet <-- asian movies
  • alt.binaries.dvd.asian <-- no need to explain this
  • alt.binaries.korea <-- often incomplete binaries, you might be lucky though
  • alt.binaries.movies.martial.arts <-- asian action flix, usually E-Subbed
  • alt.binaries.movies.zeromovies <-- many asian movies (not 100% asian)
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.anime <-- the same as a.b.anime
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese <-- Chinese tv and movies, RAW / C-Subbed / E-Subbed
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese <-- Japanese tv and movies, RAW / C-Subbed / E-Subbed
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese.repost <-- no need to explain
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.korean <-- Korean tv and movies, RAW / C-subbed / E-Subbed
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.martial-arts <-- same as a.b.movies.martial.arts
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.sentai <-- Japanese Sci-fi SuperHero tv and movies
  • alt.binaries.multimedia.thai <-- Thai tv and movies, RAW / ?Subbed?
  • alt.binaries.nospam.cd-r <-- asian movies
  • alt.binaries.sounds.jpop <-- Japanese Popular music and sometimes music videos
  • alt.binaries.sounds.korean <-- Korean music
  • alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.chinese <-- Chinese music
  • alt.binaries.vcdz <-- Vietnamese tv and movies
  • alt.binaries.vcdz.repost <-- No need to explain


You'll also find asian movies posted in other video related groups, you'll just have to search.

Good Luck! You're on your way to usenet nirvana now. :cheers:
Attachments
FAQ-Rev02.06-html_version.rar
Current FAQ of alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese usenet newsgroup
(69.42 KiB) Downloaded 957 times
Last edited by mt877 on Sep 4th, '06, 12:54, edited 6 times in total.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1321
Joined: Dec 6th, '03, 08:40
Location: Germany

Post by MoerkJ » Sep 11th, '04, 04:34

thanks for writing this useful tutorial. :thumleft:

well, i dont use the usenet anymore. for me personally the usenet was dead with the fast success of the www in 1993. if there weren't commercial news providers and those binary groups it would be long long dead.
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

User avatar
Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 157
Joined: Dec 14th, '03, 05:56

Post by Takez0 » Sep 11th, '04, 04:35

Good job, finally someone took the time and did it.
So next time anyone asks what is ABMJ just link to this thread

guenny
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 11th, '04, 15:50
Location: Germany

Post by guenny » Sep 11th, '04, 09:36

MoerkJ will kill me for this ^^
*slapping with wikipedialinks*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

-- guenny

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1321
Joined: Dec 6th, '03, 08:40
Location: Germany

Post by MoerkJ » Sep 11th, '04, 09:51

no no guenny I'm getting used to it. :lol Wikipedia is always very usefull and has always interesting info. did you know that...

wikipedia:usenet wrote:Internet archiving of Usenet posts began at DejaNews with a very large, searchable database. In 2001, this database was acquired by the Google search engine company.

:O
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

guenny
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 11th, '04, 15:50
Location: Germany

Post by guenny » Sep 11th, '04, 13:57

Hrhr, yup the archive is pretty useful :)
u can still read the original post of linus torvald when he started programminng the linux core.
http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=1991Aug25.205708.9541%40klaava.Helsinki.FI

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2985
Joined: Feb 3rd, '04, 19:53
Location: missin' hawaii

Post by jholic » Sep 12th, '04, 02:28

mt877: you are AWESOME!! :notworthy: this was an extremely good definition of usenet.

i had an idea of what it was, but just needed a little clarification. the stupid thing is that i used usenet waaaaaay back in college, but we always just referred to it as newsgroups. it was how *my friends* got dirty pictures :glare:

one thing that wasn't mentioned was how the speed of usenet compares to bt or other sources (on an avg)?

EDIT: i was also going to ask MoerkJ or one of the other mods if they could make this into a sticky or add it to the FAQ?

ap
Posts: 119
Joined: Dec 22nd, '03, 15:20

Post by ap » Sep 12th, '04, 02:57

jholic wrote:one thing that wasn't mentioned was how the speed of usenet compares to bt or other sources (on an avg)?



one should be able to max out their download speed

ap

User avatar
Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 157
Joined: Dec 14th, '03, 05:56

Post by Takez0 » Sep 12th, '04, 03:17

Sticky it is, and yes, the speed is as fast as you can reach, since you don't depend on any peer to peer connection
Attachments
asianballs.gif
asianballs.gif (218.75 KiB) Viewed 47964 times
Last edited by Takez0 on Apr 10th, '05, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

mt877
Posts: 123
Joined: Mar 17th, '04, 14:24

Post by mt877 » Sep 12th, '04, 04:00

Great, glad some folks are finding this useful. Thanks for making it a sticky.
Now it's back to usenet to hunt down something else to download... ;-)
hmm... no winking eye Emoticon

User avatar
kood
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 285
Joined: Feb 29th, '04, 10:07
Location: USA

Post by kood » Sep 15th, '04, 14:59

Wow, max out your connection? Jesus..

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 562
Joined: Jan 18th, '04, 15:37
Location: New Jersey

Post by iceberri » Sep 16th, '04, 01:50

mt877 wrote:hmm... no winking eye Emoticon

sure there is one! Just type in : wink : without the spaces... hehe, this was the smiley that I requested Ruroshin add... quite a useful one. :wink:

User avatar
Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 157
Joined: Dec 14th, '03, 05:56

Post by Takez0 » Oct 2nd, '04, 15:29

Just found out about this today

Use www.bincrawler.com to search for files posted on usenet :crazy:

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 598
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Post by techie » Nov 7th, '04, 00:13

Updated entry below here.
Last edited by techie on Jan 26th, '05, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

pappi
Posts: 9
Joined: Nov 29th, '04, 05:22

Post by pappi » Dec 6th, '04, 16:17

If you are comcast user from attbi days, then expect comcast netnews to stop working Dec. 31. Comcast offering comcast giganews
accounts as replacements, but basically no more free ride on camcast netnews anymore.

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 598
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Post by techie » Dec 6th, '04, 16:29

pappi wrote:If you are comcast user from attbi days, then expect comcast netnews to stop working Dec. 31. Comcast offering comcast giganews
accounts as replacements, but basically no more free ride on camcast netnews anymore.



Guess they extended that one more year.
It was supposed to stop already January 30th this year.

Giganews 1 Gb account wont help you either because that does not exclude headers form the size count which means if you go in and check three newsgroups you just spent your 1 Gb download.
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

aznrockerx
Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 14th, '04, 00:04

Post by aznrockerx » Dec 18th, '04, 19:08

yu have to pay!

User avatar
odino
Posts: 80
Joined: Dec 19th, '04, 14:02

Post by odino » Dec 31st, '04, 15:57

wow not everything on the net is for free :O :O

8)

User avatar
dmorgan
Posts: 80
Joined: Apr 11th, '04, 17:46
Location: New York

Post by dmorgan » Jan 1st, '05, 14:11

I am finally in and using abmj !! This is great! :dance:

Thank you so much for the helpful tips.

I've been so :mrgreen:

One question. Is there usually a limit from ones server on the download bandwith with newsgroups? I am getting a download speed of 20k. I have a 3 megabit connection.

User avatar
delsxyz
Posts: 92
Joined: Feb 15th, '04, 07:13
Location: Ad Agency

It is up to

Post by delsxyz » Jan 1st, '05, 14:21

How do you access to newsgroups?
Through your ISP's free server?
....Then, most likely, your ISP caps speed.
(Relatively slower than those of Commercial servers)

If you signed up with commercial servers, like
Easynews, Giganews, Usenetserver, Astraweb, Newshosting,
you will find caps in FAQ.
ex
http://www.geeks.org/~ed/Usenet_Servers.html

One note: If you upload something from your ISP's freeservers,
you should know that everyone knows about you:
What newsreader are you using?
How are you accessing to this particular newsgroup?
What is your IP address?

ex
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese
Subject: Re: Dustimage_zebra -- Many thanks
Organization: -
Message-ID: xxxxx
References: xxxx
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 8
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:41:52 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Host: 82.43.123.xxx----Here!

If you use commercial servers,
From: xxxx
References: <xxx
Organization: xxxx
Message-ID: xxxxx
User-Agent: Xnews/5.04.25
X-No-Archive: yes
Lines: 1
X-Complaints-To: abuse@easynews.com
X-Complaints-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:20:41 GMT

User avatar
dmorgan
Posts: 80
Joined: Apr 11th, '04, 17:46
Location: New York

Post by dmorgan » Jan 1st, '05, 14:34

I am using my ISP's free server. It makes sense that they cap the download since I pay nothing extra for the access. Thanks for the extra tips!! wow :D
Image

User avatar
delsxyz
Posts: 92
Joined: Feb 15th, '04, 07:13
Location: Ad Agency

Who is your...

Post by delsxyz » Jan 1st, '05, 14:46

Who is your ISP?
NY means what? TimeWarner? Optonline?

Did you say hello in abmj? (Welcomes to abmj)
Currently I'm downloading Watashi wo Ryokan ni Tsuretete VCD 1 C-Sub
(FK is posting)

If you go to a.b.dvd, you shall find "The Grudge 2004" iso.
I am at THE_GRUDGE.part063.rar. Maybe another 20 more rars
to finish.

Other places of interests for DVD iso
alt.binaries.dvd.anime
alt.binaries.dvd.asian
alt.binaries.dvd (dvdr dvd-r dvdrs)

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 598
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Post by techie » Jan 26th, '05, 06:20

Due to excessive spam occurances in the ABMJ/ABMJR and many many other news groups by mainly russian posters who post kiddiePr0n we have (Groink, AP, and others, my self included) come to an agreement that an update of the FAQ was needed.

The section 9 L has now been added, discussing how to filter JPG files and other undesirable elements, and the indexing of the entire FAQ has changed.

Also the entire HTML layout has been given a major update to a more clean look and I dropped in a new top graphic too.

If you want to know how ABMJ and ABMJR work, then download this file, extract and read it. It may prove useful in other groups as well and will give you a nice crash course in how to surf the news in a nice manner.
Attachments
FAQ-Rev02.06-html_version.rar
(69.42 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 598
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Post by techie » Jan 26th, '05, 06:25

dmorgan wrote:I am finally in and using abmj !! This is great! :dance:

Thank you so much for the helpful tips.

I've been so :mrgreen:

One question. Is there usually a limit from ones server on the download bandwith with newsgroups? I am getting a download speed of 20k. I have a 3 megabit connection.



which server are you using? Your ISP's or a commercial account.

If it is your ISP's provided nntp service, it is likely they cap your incoming on port 119.

If it's a commercial, like easynews, you normally get unlimited number of threads but since most readers are built for a single threaded environment you need to open three instances to max out your pipe...

Oh and most certainly 20 Kb = 160 kbps.
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

User avatar
dmorgan
Posts: 80
Joined: Apr 11th, '04, 17:46
Location: New York

Post by dmorgan » Jan 26th, '05, 11:31

techie wrote:

which server are you using? Your ISP's or a commercial account.

If it is your ISP's provided nntp service, it is likely they cap your incoming on port 119.

If it's a commercial, like easynews, you normally get unlimited number of threads but since most readers are built for a single threaded environment you need to open three instances to max out your pipe...

Oh and most certainly 20 Kb = 160 kbps.


I have Charter Communications for an ISP. I am using their nntp service. I can open two newsgroups at a time. With both of them open I can get 55-60K download. Usually, I am grabbing between 45 and 55. So far, I have been able to grab quite a bit. It is nice having newsgroups and d-addicts. 8)

I have quick par figured out! :D

I will check out the updated FAQ.

Thanks!
Image

User avatar
delsxyz
Posts: 92
Joined: Feb 15th, '04, 07:13
Location: Ad Agency

For Reference

Post by delsxyz » Feb 6th, '05, 09:52

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Above is the best souce I've so far encountered with, if you want to learn Newsgroup (Treasure box of every sort of genre) It even covers NZB files.
There are two ways commonly used to gain access to a news server:
1. Use the news server maintained by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
2. Pay for news server access.
As your ISP does not wish to advertise this service, it might be hidden
under Help/about of ISP's web page portal. (They want you to surf web pages and do occasional emails only to save their bandwidth.)

1. Intro
2. News Servers
3. Newsreaders
4. Newsgroups
5. RAR files
6. PAR & PAR2 files
7. Identifying a Post
8. Posting
9. NZB Files
10. Tips
11. Guide Updates

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

User avatar
dmorgan
Posts: 80
Joined: Apr 11th, '04, 17:46
Location: New York

Post by dmorgan » Feb 6th, '05, 14:55

I am getting an error message and am not sure what it means. I have reloaded my computer and have left xnews off overnight. I can open thread list, but cannot grab binaries.

Can anyone assist?
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 26330 times
Image

ap
Posts: 119
Joined: Dec 22nd, '03, 15:20

Post by ap » Feb 6th, '05, 15:47

this is a server side error, no problem on your end. 4xx errors are considered non-fatal errors and your news client should be re-trying to make an connection to the server. if it isn't, check your settings. idon't use xnews, so i can't tell you where to look.

the cause of the 400 error is that the newsserver only allows x number of connections to the server, and when that limit is reached other connections are refused. this is a common problem where isp's outsource thier news services. you can tell by looking into a header of one your posts, or the name of the newsserver might tell you.

ap

User avatar
dmorgan
Posts: 80
Joined: Apr 11th, '04, 17:46
Location: New York

Post by dmorgan » Feb 6th, '05, 15:55

Thanks for the info ap. I was worried that I did something. :unsure:

It seems to have been temporary. I am back in. :D
Image

User avatar
delsxyz
Posts: 92
Joined: Feb 15th, '04, 07:13
Location: Ad Agency

2 connections

Post by delsxyz » Feb 6th, '05, 16:03

2 Connections is normal.
What it means is that if you are downloading 2 files and then
you tried to retrieve headers, it becomes 3. So retrieve header
function dies (as in Server Connection failed. 2 connections/node)

How about commercial servers?
ex (Copy and paste from one of commercial servers' FAQ)
3. How many concurrent connections am I allowed?
Newshosting allows 8 connection from the same IP on our standard accounts. The unlimited accounts are limited to 4 connections from the same IP.

seneschal
Posts: 39
Joined: Jan 17th, '05, 06:01
Location: California

Re: 2 connections

Post by seneschal » Mar 27th, '05, 19:13

Got a question on this:
1. I've been using Newsbin for a while, it automatically suck everything posted to a newsgroup. But how can I ensure I don't waste time downloading stuff that I don't need/want? I.e. doramas dubbed in Thai and subbed in Norwegian, say?

2. Seems like my ISP only keeps a few days of Usenet. For doramas this could be fatal as I'll end up with episodes 1-12 but missing 8... Is the only solution to subscribe to a commercial server? Or just go back to BT?


delsxyz wrote:2 Connections is normal.
What it means is that if you are downloading 2 files and then
you tried to retrieve headers, it becomes 3. So retrieve header
function dies (as in Server Connection failed. 2 connections/node)

How about commercial servers?
ex (Copy and paste from one of commercial servers' FAQ)
3. How many concurrent connections am I allowed?
Newshosting allows 8 connection from the same IP on our standard accounts. The unlimited accounts are limited to 4 connections from the same IP.

mt877
Posts: 123
Joined: Mar 17th, '04, 14:24

Post by mt877 » Mar 27th, '05, 19:44

I haven't used Newsbin, but if it allows you to setup download filters, then you should be set. There's a freeware
program Binary News Reaper that has download filters capability. You can filter for subject title, author name,
generic words like "rar' or whatever. BNR also can refresh the headers at any time interval you like and
automatically perform the download filters and download what you specified.

Of course with your ISP news, you must leave your computer on and run BNR 24/7, setup refresh interval like
every 4 to 6 hours in order to catch everything .

shosho
Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 20th, '04, 00:50
Location: france

Newsgroups?

Post by shosho » Jul 29th, '05, 20:53

hey girls/ guys.

i just found out about the newsgroup stuff with grabit and all. Was wondering if there was a particular one i should subscribe too for drama (korean or japanese).

thank you :-)

Darvil
Posts: 5
Joined: Jun 26th, '05, 22:18

Re: 2 connections

Post by Darvil » Jul 31st, '05, 04:27

seneschal wrote:Got a question on this:
1. I've been using Newsbin for a while, it automatically suck everything posted to a newsgroup. But how can I ensure I don't waste time downloading stuff that I don't need/want? I.e. doramas dubbed in Thai and subbed in Norwegian, say?

2. Seems like my ISP only keeps a few days of Usenet. For doramas this could be fatal as I'll end up with episodes 1-12 but missing 8... Is the only solution to subscribe to a commercial server? Or just go back to BT?


delsxyz wrote:2 Connections is normal.
What it means is that if you are downloading 2 files and then
you tried to retrieve headers, it becomes 3. So retrieve header
function dies (as in Server Connection failed. 2 connections/node)

How about commercial servers?
ex (Copy and paste from one of commercial servers' FAQ)
3. How many concurrent connections am I allowed?
Newshosting allows 8 connection from the same IP on our standard accounts. The unlimited accounts are limited to 4 connections from the same IP.



I don't quite follow your 1st question. What do you mean newsbin downloads all the files? Are you talking about headers? Headers are NOT the actual file itself. As for filtering headers you can fill the "find" bar on the top to filter the headers while they are downloading but I don't think (or am not aware) of a way you can ONLY download filtered headers. I really don't see the big problem anyway. Headers are very small and they hardly take any space.

2nd.) I don't know about the rest of you but I don't think usenet is a good source to find asian dramas. It isn't very active so far I've seen. It is good to use "on the side" and you can find what you missed on torrents. As for me I use charter and I have to say charter is pretty good. 44k cap and about 10 days of retention. I have taught 2 of my friends on how to use this free service. As for me 44k is too damn slow so I go with one of the commercial service. My 3 meg pipeline is maxxed out 24/7 and I'm loving every minute of it. :P

Here are other sites that are nice for usenet.

http://www.newzbin.com (This site index alot of the stuff on usenet and it is pretty damn nice. Its not free though. You have to pay 2 dollars a month to use it. Its worth every penny for me. I know there are free index downloading sites on the net but most of them are quite horrible.)

http://www.omni-forums.com/ This is a great forum to go to request and look at upcoming uploads of Anime and Asian movies DVD ISOs.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2039
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Jul 31st, '05, 04:54

Darvil wrote:I don't quite follow your 1st question. What do you mean newsbin downloads all the files? Are you talking about headers? Headers are NOT the actual file itself. As for filtering headers you can fill the "find" bar on the top to filter the headers while they are downloading but I don't think (or am not aware) of a way you can ONLY download filtered headers. I really don't see the big problem anyway. Headers are very small and they hardly take any space.

Actually, seneschal is sort-of correct on the "downloading everything" statement. He has the "Automatic Download" (ctrl-T) feature enabled. With it enabled, it'll start downloading everything off all the newsgroups he has listed and checked off. This is probably his preference, so we have to consider that. I know of several other people who do the same thing, so this technique isn't that unusual.

Along that line, you can filter out certain types of dramas based on the content of the subject header, the name of the poster, among other parameters. For example, in my Newsbin Pro configuration, I filter out all occurances of "C-Sub" so that I don't have to look at them. Other than Chinese and English subs, I haven't seen any Japanese dramas posted with subs in any other language in quite awhile, so for now you should be safe. Most of the posters are quite good about keeping their subject headers consistent for filtering purposes. ap, for example, uses the string "[e-sub]" on anything he posts that include English subtitles. Consistency on the subject headers make filtering much easier.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

seneschal
Posts: 39
Joined: Jan 17th, '05, 06:01
Location: California

Post by seneschal » Jul 31st, '05, 05:15

You're right, that's what I meant.
When you first get Newsbin the default is to automatically download all the files. The reason for that is so you can run it on autopilot, say while you're sleeping.

I'm sure the filter can be programmed but I guess it's still not 100%. The main point is not getting all parts and episodes of a 300-700 MB file. That could be a pain. I've decided to stick to BT for now.

groink wrote:Actually, seneschal is sort-of correct on the "downloading everything" statement. He has the "Automatic Download" (ctrl-T) feature enabled. With it enabled, it'll start downloading everything off all the newsgroups he has listed and checked off. This is probably his preference, so we have to consider that. I know of several other people who do the same thing, so this technique isn't that unusual.

Along that line, you can filter out certain types of dramas based on the content of the subject header, the name of the poster, among other parameters. For example, in my Newsbin Pro configuration, I filter out all occurances of "C-Sub" so that I don't have to look at them. Other than Chinese and English subs, I haven't seen any Japanese dramas posted with subs in any other language in quite awhile, so for now you should be safe. Most of the posters are quite good about keeping their subject headers consistent for filtering purposes. ap, for example, uses the string "[e-sub]" on anything he posts that include English subtitles. Consistency on the subject headers make filtering much easier.

--- groink

Darvil
Posts: 5
Joined: Jun 26th, '05, 22:18

Post by Darvil » Jul 31st, '05, 06:39

seneschal wrote:You're right, that's what I meant.
When you first get Newsbin the default is to automatically download all the files. The reason for that is so you can run it on autopilot, say while you're sleeping.

I'm sure the filter can be programmed but I guess it's still not 100%. The main point is not getting all parts and episodes of a 300-700 MB file. That could be a pain. I've decided to stick to BT for now.



It defaults that way when you first install it? Thats surprising because it doesn't do that for me. I have to add to the download list for it to do that. It doesn't default that way for all the other times I've installed it on my friends computers either. Regardless that would be a nightmare if it automatically does that.

I've never had a problem not getting enough parts. Most posters are good about putting par files on there which is great for that 1 or 2 parts that are missing or are corrupted. You kinda also have to know whats about to get posted.. but as long as you do it wouldn't be a problem. For example I know that aznv is going to post the last part of Emperor of the Sea on a.b.mm.k soon. Anticipating it big time. :P

Perhaps your ISP isn't very good about keeping binary files either. I know some friends on the east coast where they get only 2 days of rentention on binary files (but they get about 100k dl).. that is quite horrible. Sometime files can be missing and stuff.. in that case I suppose you should just avoid it.

seneschal
Posts: 39
Joined: Jan 17th, '05, 06:01
Location: California

Post by seneschal » Aug 1st, '05, 00:54

Not sure what the retention policy of my ISP is, but for the binary groups I think it's quite low. Manyfiles would go missing a part.

Darvil wrote:
seneschal wrote:You're right, that's what I meant.
When you first get Newsbin the default is to automatically download all the files. The reason for that is so you can run it on autopilot, say while you're sleeping.

I'm sure the filter can be programmed but I guess it's still not 100%. The main point is not getting all parts and episodes of a 300-700 MB file. That could be a pain. I've decided to stick to BT for now.



It defaults that way when you first install it? Thats surprising because it doesn't do that for me. I have to add to the download list for it to do that. It doesn't default that way for all the other times I've installed it on my friends computers either. Regardless that would be a nightmare if it automatically does that.

I've never had a problem not getting enough parts. Most posters are good about putting par files on there which is great for that 1 or 2 parts that are missing or are corrupted. You kinda also have to know whats about to get posted.. but as long as you do it wouldn't be a problem. For example I know that aznv is going to post the last part of Emperor of the Sea on a.b.mm.k soon. Anticipating it big time. :P

Perhaps your ISP isn't very good about keeping binary files either. I know some friends on the east coast where they get only 2 days of rentention on binary files (but they get about 100k dl).. that is quite horrible. Sometime files can be missing and stuff.. in that case I suppose you should just avoid it.

User avatar
sarujin
Posts: 291
Joined: Jun 25th, '05, 22:39
Location: state of insanity, USA ^_^

Post by sarujin » Sep 15th, '05, 05:32

I'm confused... :| I'm on sbcglobal's usenet server and I can't find ABJR...

Is it not on every server? I really want to find it because I want the Trick movie. *hee hee hee* :D

Thanx!

mt877
Posts: 123
Joined: Mar 17th, '04, 14:24

Post by mt877 » Sep 20th, '05, 05:46

I think you mean ABMJR - alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese.repost

Yes, ABMJR is a common newsgroup and will be carried by most commercial news providers. I would think that SBC should also
carry this group. Try doing a refresh or redownload of the newsgroups. Also sort the newsgroup names alphabetically. There's been
a few groups I thought I didn't have until I did an alphabetical sort and then I found my so-called missing groups.

Just so you know, I am not on SBC, so I can't verify that they carry ABMJR or not.

User avatar
MifuneGoh
Posts: 14
Joined: Jul 16th, '05, 19:12
Location: Ovuh heeyuh!

Post by MifuneGoh » Dec 1st, '05, 09:00

If your usenet service doesn't carry a newsgroup you want, like alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese, a request via email or telephone will usually result in getting it added.

Retention will only start at that point. But at least you'll have access to it.

M.G

JustMeAndYou
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 7th, '05, 07:06

Post by JustMeAndYou » Dec 7th, '05, 07:09

Anyone know where is the forums for alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese?

pappi
Posts: 9
Joined: Nov 29th, '04, 05:22

Post by pappi » Dec 7th, '05, 14:44

Not all usenet providers will carry all newsgroups. Are you using your ISP news or commercial news? I have 2 commercial news accounts and one does not carry abmc and the other one does. So you might have to request your news provider to add abmc or go with a good commercial news like giganews, newshosting, easynews. BTW, once you get abmc, you will find many good things there.... meaning time to upgrade your hard drives because you'll be downloading many things. :lol

JustMeAndYou
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 7th, '05, 07:06

Post by JustMeAndYou » Dec 7th, '05, 23:02

pappi wrote:Not all usenet providers will carry all newsgroups. Are you using your ISP news or commercial news? I have 2 commercial news accounts and one does not carry abmc and the other one does. So you might have to request your news provider to add abmc or go with a good commercial news like giganews, newshosting, easynews. BTW, once you get abmc, you will find many good things there.... meaning time to upgrade your hard drives because you'll be downloading many things. :lol


I know how to download but i was wondering. Is this the forums for alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese . Like all the news upload going to upload they will say in forums and discuss what do upload. what will be upload soon.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2039
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Dec 7th, '05, 23:15

JustMeAndYou wrote:I know how to download but i was wondering. Is this the forums for alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese . Like all the news upload going to upload they will say in forums and discuss what do upload. what will be upload soon.

Unless there is a "dot-d" newsgroup associated with the "binaries" newsgroup, both binaries and discussions (announcements on what will be uploaded, re-upload requests, etc.) are acceptable in the same newsgroup.

For example:

alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese

would be a binaries newsgroup. If there was a discussion newsgroup associated with it, it would be:

alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese.d

Usually, even the crappiest of news services will carry the dot-d newgroups.

As for what is allowed in a certain newsgroup... Best thing to do is to subscribe to a.b.m.c and a.b.m.c.d (if it exists), and then seek out and read the FAQ documents. I don't subscribe to a.b.m.c, so I don't know if a FAQ even exists. If there are no FAQs to be found, just read the existing posts to get a feel of what is being accepted as proper conduct on the newsgroup.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

JustMeAndYou
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 7th, '05, 07:06

Post by JustMeAndYou » Dec 8th, '05, 04:50

I mean can i have the link to the forums that dicuz what is news in alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese and can request for repost or dicuz about the movies in alt.binaries.multimedia.chinese. Can i plz have the link that forums.

pappi
Posts: 9
Joined: Nov 29th, '04, 05:22

Post by pappi » Dec 8th, '05, 06:09

Sorry, did not understand your question. Now I understand. I don't know if abm.chinese has a web based forum to discuss
group activities or future uploads or to make requests for new video or reposts. Sometimes there is not really
dedicated pay server for hosting such a forum, but some members may create a forum on some free forum sites or
message board sites.

Maybe you can post a question to the group members and ask if there is such a web page.

Ronin325
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 29th, '04, 16:06
Location: Arkansas / USA

please help

Post by Ronin325 » Feb 6th, '06, 23:21

i am new to this newsgroup thing and need some help please.
I have Agent to view newsgroups with but unable to do so.
I want to join alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese does it require a pass word do i need to sign up for it and how do i do that? also the agent program shows i am offline what do i need to do to make a connection? I am very confused!

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2039
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Re: please help

Post by groink » Feb 6th, '06, 23:33

Ronin325 wrote:i am new to this newsgroup thing and need some help please.
I have Agent to view newsgroups with but unable to do so.
I want to join alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese does it require a pass word do i need to sign up for it and how do i do that? also the agent program shows i am offline what do i need to do to make a connection? I am very confused!

The first thing I would do is read the FAQ page for the news server for which you're subscribing to, such as your Internet service provider or the commercial news service. For example, if you subscribe to Time-Warner Road Runner and want to use their news service, go to their web site. Same thing with DSL customers - go to the ISP's site. I subscribe to GigaNews, and they have a nicely written FAQ page with steps on how to configure your news reader.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 598
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Re: please help

Post by techie » Feb 6th, '06, 23:38

Ronin325 wrote:i am new to this newsgroup thing and need some help please.
I have Agent to view newsgroups with but unable to do so.
I want to join alt.binaries.multimedia.japanese does it require a pass word do i need to sign up for it and how do i do that? also the agent program shows i am offline what do i need to do to make a connection? I am very confused!


You have tons of help in here if you need it.
Thats why we decided to make one public :)

http://abpea-f.asianmultimedia.org/faq/ ... /index.htm
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

Ronin325
Posts: 9
Joined: Sep 29th, '04, 16:06
Location: Arkansas / USA

I must be an idiot

Post by Ronin325 » Feb 7th, '06, 16:44

Well i got as far as getting a list of newsgroups thats all i can do. I am now using giganews binary reader. i tried to down load the headers but nothing happens. I have been reading the help files but still can't get any further than getting a list of newsgroups. What am i missing here?

nakal
Posts: 7
Joined: Jun 3rd, '11, 00:52

Post by nakal » Feb 2nd, '12, 07:03

I hate to bring old thread back but for what I know people start posting new files on usenet
btw there is groups that not mention by this page
korea.binaries.tv
most on those groups is kdrama, if you don't want to download header you can go to binsearch

Code: Select all

http://binsearch.info/browse.php?server=2&bg=korea.binaries.tv

popoycanton
Posts: 157
Joined: Oct 31st, '06, 03:48

Post by popoycanton » Feb 16th, '12, 00:57

I'm a usenet noob. I've already downloaded a few files, so I believe I get the gist of things. Anyway, where do you get the latest jdramas? at most I found a few, but old here http://www.fanzub.com/?q=&cat=drama.

nakal
Posts: 7
Joined: Jun 3rd, '11, 00:52

Post by nakal » Feb 16th, '12, 09:16

popoycanton wrote:I'm a usenet noob. I've already downloaded a few files, so I believe I get the gist of things. Anyway, where do you get the latest jdramas? at most I found a few, but old here http://www.fanzub.com/?q=&cat=drama.
the correct one is

Code: Select all

http://www.fanzub.com/?q=&cat=drama
without a dot, if you put the dot, all jp resource will come out

basically it listing all jp groups.

IMHO at usenet anime the most up to date

nakal
Posts: 7
Joined: Jun 3rd, '11, 00:52

Post by nakal » Feb 16th, '12, 09:39

popoycanton wrote:I'm a usenet noob. I've already downloaded a few files, so I believe I get the gist of things. Anyway, where do you get the latest jdramas? at most I found a few, but old here http://www.fanzub.com/?q=&cat=drama.
the correct one is

Code: Select all

http://www.fanzub.com/?q=&cat=drama
without a dot, if you put the dot, all jp resource will come out

basically it listing all jp groups.

IMHO at usenet anime the most up to date

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest