upload as episodes or DVDs?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

upload as episodes or DVDs?

Post by theuncontactable » Mar 10th, '09, 04:40

When uploading a drama series from a DVD source, is it a requirement by D-Addicts to upload them as single episodes or can it be done as single DVD rips?

For example: if I have a drama consisting of 28 episodes on 9 DVDs total, can I just upload the drama as 9 DVD rips or do I have to separately rip them as 28 single episodes?

I notice that all of the dramas here are uploaded as separate episodes even if the source is DVD.

groink

Post by groink » Mar 10th, '09, 04:46

For seeding purposes, the smaller the better. Expecting even a single DVD to last a long period of time is unrealistic. I can't find the post right now, but in the past we've mentioned that it is best to rip the DVD to something smaller, such as DivX or XviD, and then upload the episodes in small amounts - with maybe one episode every few days so that the episode is well seeded before the next episode is uploaded.

If you're just trying to dump a ton of content as quick as possible, D-Addicts is not the tracker of choice.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Mar 10th, '09, 05:07

groink wrote:...upload the episodes in small amounts - with maybe one episode every few days so that the episode is well seeded before the next episode is uploaded.

If you're just trying to dump a ton of content as quick as possible, D-Addicts is not the tracker of choice.

--- groink
Even if the intention is to release it as a batch torrent and the uploader is committed to seeding the batch?

I just thought if you rip it as a single DVD then that would take less space say 1.4 GB for each DVD containing say 3 episodes whereas if you rip each episode normally at 700MB it would be 2.1GB total.

I guess there would be more chance of people subbing it if it was released as single episodes if they were raws.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Mar 10th, '09, 05:07

If you mean to post like 5 episodes as one long .avi. Then it would be harder to keep seeded as it would probably be several gigs for one file. A batch of 5 separate videos in one torrent is better for keeping it alive.

If you mean vob files or .iso files. You also have to keep in mind that a lot of users aren't that tech savvy and wouldn't know what to do with vob or .iso files. So those might be bad ideas.

groink

Post by groink » Mar 10th, '09, 06:50

I think you have the whole idea about posting RAWs wrong. We don't post RAWs for the sole purpose of hoping someone will sub it. Do what I've done - find a fansubbing group, and send the group the DVDs directly, either via snail mail like I did, or via some other non-public means. For all others who upload RAWs here - they do exactly what I suggested, which is to upload one episode every few days.

Second, it isn't your responsibility to keep the batch (or any torrent for that matter) seeded. If you go on uploading several gigs at one time with zero seeders to start with, then you're basically asking for leech-n-runners. You may have all the bandwidth and intentions to seed, but that's not what BitTorrent and the sharing concept is all about. The whole logic to this game is to issue the episodes a little at a time, and THEN upload a batch when there are many completions already out there.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » Mar 10th, '09, 07:40

groink wrote:...If you go on uploading several gigs at one time with zero seeders to start with, then you're basically asking for leech-n-runners.

--- groink
Thanks groink.
I should have look at this from the point of view of a leecher first. As a leecher, I find it hard to download any anime episodes above 300MB, any drama episodes above 700MB and any DVD rips above 1.4GB unless I desparately want it.