Sound but no pictures....

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
gsan

Sound but no pictures....

Post by gsan » Sep 13th, '08, 11:12

Hi

I''ve downloaded various different dramas recently and have often only had the sound but no pictures. does anybody know why this might be? Is there anything I can do about it?

xiah1fan

Re: Sound but no pictures....

Post by xiah1fan » Sep 13th, '08, 11:26

gsan wrote:Hi

I''ve downloaded various different dramas recently and have often only had the sound but no pictures. does anybody know why this might be? Is there anything I can do about it?

i had the same problem some months ago....but are u using vcl??

gsan

Post by gsan » Sep 13th, '08, 11:35

no. have been using quick time. should i try vlc?

scifibuff

Post by scifibuff » Sep 13th, '08, 11:38

Try the VLC media player. It plays pretty much everything. You can also download the latest DIVX player which is also quite excellent. Other than that, try updating your media player with the latest drivers. Good luck.

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » Sep 13th, '08, 11:40

scifibuff wrote:Try the VLC media player. It plays pretty much everything. You can also download the latest DIVX player which is also quite excellent. Other than that, try updating your media player with the latest drivers. Good luck.
Yep GOOD LUCK! :P

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Sep 13th, '08, 14:05

Only sound, and no pictures, sounds like a codec problem.

VLC is a good alternative. Or you just use the CCCP code pack on your WMP. Personally I stick to CCCP with WMP (it gets the job done without even the smallest problems on my rig), I never managed to get into VLC.

DIVX player, I'm not too fond of it, because searching in the videofile (with mouse and the position slider) is a bit of a pain (not to mention that it often messes up the ratio, especially when smacking a 16:9 file into full screen), thus I only use it for .divx files.

surplusletterbox

Post by surplusletterbox » Sep 13th, '08, 14:37

I just started to use KMPLayer, it is Korean but all the software is in English too and seems to be more integrated with various codecs. It can even play Monkey Audio cue/ape audio image straight off! Also when you are watching a set of videos, if the naming convention is number sequenced by episode it even play continuously without intervention from first video to last. It is also much more feature packed and configurable, the subtitle selection is also much more flexible to configure, and sound too. I have used Zoom Player, VLC etc. and this one has potential to be one of the best if not already! http://www.kmplayer.com/! ,

Riea

Post by Riea » Sep 17th, '08, 01:25

I checked out KMPlayer recently as well.. quite nice, in fact the minimalist/performance mode in the newest betas allow me to play x264 high def. files smoothly on an older laptop (15mb memory and 10-15% cpu load) when I couldn't do it with GoM (40mb memory and 80-90% cpu load).. My only real complaint (at this point) is that auto playlist does some strange things when files have unique names..

surplusletterbox

Post by surplusletterbox » Sep 17th, '08, 16:21

Riea wrote:I checked out KMPlayer recently as well.. quite nice, in fact the minimalist/performance mode in the newest betas allow me to play x264 high def. files smoothly on an older laptop (15mb memory and 10-15% cpu load) when I couldn't do it with GoM (40mb memory and 80-90% cpu load).. My only real complaint (at this point) is that auto playlist does some strange things when files have unique names..
Typical ungrateful behaviour, free stuff that works so well, infact 99% satisfied for me and I cannot in a million years accept why anyone should have a complaint! ..................remove that from your mind! Same thing apply to others.

Riea

Post by Riea » Sep 17th, '08, 23:26

surplusletterbox wrote:
Riea wrote:I checked out KMPlayer recently as well.. quite nice, in fact the minimalist/performance mode in the newest betas allow me to play x264 high def. files smoothly on an older laptop (15mb memory and 10-15% cpu load) when I couldn't do it with GoM (40mb memory and 80-90% cpu load).. My only real complaint (at this point) is that auto playlist does some strange things when files have unique names..
Typical ungrateful behaviour, free stuff that works so well, infact 99% satisfied for me and I cannot in a million years accept why anyone should have a complaint! ..................remove that from your mind! Same thing apply to others.
Wait.. so if its free, people shouldn't make suggestive/constructive criticism? What if my complaint was actually a bug in the way the playlist ordering logic was screwed up because of difference in language and coding that the authors never considered or experienced? What if other users wanted to try the program, but playlist functionality was a major concern as it is for me? There are plenty of good reasons for criticism. There are plenty of good free things out there.. more often then not constructive criticism helps projects improve. Ever consider that?

Also, why are you only 99% satisfied? what's the 1%? something you don't like? something that doesn't quite work? maybe it's a bug or an error in coding.... no one will ever know if you keep to yourself. No one would ever have known that the new itunes program crashed vista if nobody complained about it.

To clarify MY issue with the playlist (and YOU can judge whether its valid or not).. I downloaded a Chinese series where the numbering scheme is basically <name> <season> <story> <story> (ie. TV Season 1 today ep 1 of 5) in Chinese text. However, the play list would order them in what appears an illogical order (ie. Season 1 ep 1, season 4 ep 2, season 2 ep 4, season 1 ep 5) Even when highlighting and dragging everything into the playlist. Whereas GoM does NOT have this issue nor does MPC. So, is my "complaint" valid or I'm just a whiny ungrateful person because I found an issue (possibly valid) with the program?

Maybe you should be a little more open minded and less judgmental.

Yessy89

Post by Yessy89 » Sep 17th, '08, 23:40

I had that problem too! So i clicked the windows, right clicked, and told it to help! So it gave me this site to get the download fot it to let me see it! When it tells you that just right click what ur watching, on the side where it tells you wat u are watching and say it to gelp to look for the problem! You know what let me look for the site!!! BRB!!!!