"Warning: Unresponsive script"

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
rjbennett

"Warning: Unresponsive script"

Post by rjbennett » Nov 15th, '06, 20:11

I have a problem with d-addicts website that doesn't occur with any other website.

When I try to access the d-addicts "Torrents" page with Internet Explorer, the page immediately freezes, and the only way I can use IE is to shut it down and then avoid d-addicts.

If I use Firefox, the page doesn't freeze, but after a few seconds a box appears with this message: "Warning: Unresponsive script - A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can see if the script will complete."

Below that message are two buttons to click. One button is labeled "Stop Script" and the other is labeled "Continue." If I select "Continue", nothing happens, except that the message goes away and then reappears. If I select "Stop Script", I can access the d-addicts website, but if I try I try to download the torrents for the current j-drama, for example, nothing happens. If I click on the number of episodes (12) for the j-drama ("Searching for My Polestar"), Firefox indicates it is trying to access the jem.d-addicts server, but there's no download, no matter how long I wait.

Are other people having this problem? What do I do?

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Nov 15th, '06, 20:29

hrm what version of Firefox are you running?

rjbennett

Post by rjbennett » Nov 15th, '06, 21:37

Many thanks for your response. I'm using Firefox 2.0.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Nov 16th, '06, 07:30

hrm, strange I'm using Firefox 2.0 as well and I don't get that error. Does it happen all the time for you or just sometimes?

rjbennett

Post by rjbennett » Nov 16th, '06, 07:39

It happens all the time. It started happening a month or so ago, but at first it wasn't a problem because I could still download. Now if I try to download the latest J-drama, for example, it doesn't work. I mean, there's no response from the website. But you're right - it IS strange. This is the only website where I have this problem - and I seem to be the only one who's having the problem! I'd really appreciate it if somehow, eventually, the problem could be solved so that my friends and I can continue watching the dramas posted on the d-addicts website. Again, many thanks for your response. Just GETTING a response is a help! - Bob Bennett

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » Nov 16th, '06, 07:44

I had that problem too...the script thing. I don't think it affected any downloads, and I haven't seen it in awhile. I don't remember which version of Firefox I was using, but right now I'm using 1.5.0.8. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it except for on d-addicts.

groink

Post by groink » Nov 16th, '06, 07:49

It sounds like an issue with one of the advertising scripts. FYI, a single D-Addicts page will have your browser hit a gazillion different web sites. It is remotely possible that your PC has issues hitting one or more of the advertising sites (Google, YesAsia, etc.) I had this problem awhile back but the problem fixed itself (I suspect it was DNS-related with one of the advertiser sites.)

--- groink

rjbennett

Post by rjbennett » Nov 16th, '06, 08:19

Okay, I found a solution to the problem - not very elegant but it works. Using Internet Explorer - this doesn't work for me with Firefox - I went directly to jem.d-addicts.com. There's a list of all the dramas available. I scrolled down to the category "Japanese dramas" and found the one I wanted to download. I right-clicked on the episode numbers that appear in brackets, and selected "Open in a new window." The small torrent download window opened as usual, and I clicked on the "open" button. I was able finally to start the download.

If anyone else has the same problem, I hope this solution helps.

Thanks again for the responses to my original question.

groink

Post by groink » Nov 16th, '06, 08:22

Thinking about it more, didn't some people have a problem with the Volunteer Seeding script on the tracker page? I don't remember whether the problem was fixed or those people just stopped posting.

--- groink

raider73

Post by raider73 » Nov 16th, '06, 16:50

I don't think it is the browser that is the problem. I had the same problem w/ IE and I thought maybe I had a virus or spyware so I just re-installed my whole computer(needed to anyways since I was putting in a new drive but that just sped up my motivation). The error message is weird since it doesn't happen everytime you go to d-addicts but only sometimes.

onoturtle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by onoturtle » Feb 4th, '07, 21:28

Weird, I'm now getting this unresponsive script error too only on the torrents page. I've been using Firefox 1.x with no problem, but after upgrading to 2.0.0.1 I have this script error. The script stalls Firefox for a few seconds and then asks me if I want to stop the script and if I do, everything is fine until the page reloads (after doing a search, etc.) and I need to repeat the process. There is not randomness, it happens every time I load the torrent page. On the other hand, if I load up the page on IE7 or an embedded IE tab in Firefox (using the IE tab add-on) the page works perfect. This is happening on my desktop running Win XP MCE SP2. I disabled Norton Internet Security thinking maybe it was doing a bad job, but I got the same results.

My laptop running Win XP Pro SP2 doesn't get this error with the same version of Firefox 2. I haven't checked, but I'm willing to bet that the page will probably load up fine running Firefox on Fedora Core...

So it's weird, I don't know what's causing this error on my desktop. Well, it's minor anyway. The torrent page is still usable once the script is stopped.

rjbennett

It's Back

Post by rjbennett » Jan 1st, '08, 03:08

After many months of no problem with downloads from d-addicts, I'm again getting the "Warning: Unresponsive script" message using Firefox 2 on my desktop computer, and downloads are impossible. With IE7 on the same computer, I can't download anything from d-addicts either, even though all other websites are working fine. That computer is running Windows XP. On my laptop, which runs Windows Vista, I can download from d-addicts quickly and easily.

I prefer to use my desktop for downloads from d-addicts, though, and I was able to do that until a few days ago, when the weird "unresponsive script" message started again.

The solution that involves downloading from jem.d-addicts works as an alternative, but not all d-addicts series are listed on jem.d-addicts. (The current Japanese series, for example, "Fukagen na Jiin," isn't listed there.)

I've tried everything - turning off the firewall, turning off the anti-virus software, etc. - but I still get the "unresponsive script" message, and downloads from d-addicts aren't possible when that message appears.

The last time this happened, the problem seemed to go away by itself eventually. Perhaps it will do the same thing this time, but is there any other more permanent solution that someone can suggest?

robx

Post by robx » Jan 1st, '08, 03:32

Try updating java, flash, etc... Maybe even try another browser such as safari or opera even though i have my doubts about them since firefox and IE are not working. Try doing right click save as on the torrent links instead of left clicking them?
-- Robx --
My Series
Batched by abcd99:
Face to fate, Great Revival, Huo Yuan Jia, Wing Chun
Status
Retired.

rjbennett

Post by rjbennett » Jan 1st, '08, 08:42

Your suggestions are much appreciated. I reinstalled Firefox and made sure that Java, Flash, etc., were updated. I also tried Opera, but, unfortunately, with no result.

Actually, the problem is worse than simply not being able to download the torrents. What really happens is this: the d-addicts page with the downloads of the month or the week(s) loads EXTREMELY slowly. When that page finally does appear, it's in a sort of "safe" mode, with minimum graphics and a large, plain font.

And then the Firefox "warning" message appears, about the script. The message says there's a choice of either continuing to wait for the script to load or stopping the script. If you click on "continue," nothing happens. The message goes away and comes back in a few seconds. If you click on "stop script," nothing happens either. But it's impossible to download the torrent, even by right-clicking on it.

Since other people had this problem earlier, I think other people must be having it now, too. Perhaps there are only two solutions: to hope it will go away in the days ahead, by itself, just as it did before, or to try to contact the Firefox people and ask them what "script" isn't loading and asking if anything can be done about it other than waiting.

robx

Post by robx » Jan 1st, '08, 08:50

Actually, I am using firefox 2.0.0.11 which is the latest i presume, and haven't seen any error of that sort. You may be experiencing some sort of Microsoft debugger fault. Perhaps something to do with dot. Net debuggers or something. I had similar problems like that a long time ago too when i had to install dot net for some applications to work, I then found out that my only solutions were to uninstall dot net, or disable that debugger for things to work properly again. I since then haven't really touched the dot net stuff.

Note: I just remember its a .net program, maybe its Visual Studio .Net that you have installed?
-- Robx --
My Series
Batched by abcd99:
Status
Retired.

rjbennett

Post by rjbennett » Jan 1st, '08, 12:02

Your suggestion about dot net items was reasonable, and I wish I could say it worked.. I had about seven dot net programs on the desktop computer - but not Visual Studio .Net. I uninstalled all of them, but I was still not able to download anything from d-addicts, using the Windows XP desktop.. I'm using firefox 2.0.0.11 too, and and as far as I know, there's no debugging software on the computer. So whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem easy to solve. As I mentioned, though, I can download from d-addicts using my laptop with Windows Vista. It's just that downloading slows down the laptop considerably, so it's not very convenient to do that. Maybe the best thing to do would be for me to contact firefox support.

robx

Post by robx » Jan 1st, '08, 18:06

i am pretty sure that firefox and d.a is not the problem, it sounds to me like 80% chance it is something to do with other softwares on your computer. It is also very possible that it could be one of windows update if you do any of that.

If it is DNS issue, you could possibly try a real simple thing here.

Follow steps:
go to C\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc or C:\WINN if under windows 2000
Look for the host file. There should be no extensions on this file and it is called as said "host".
Open it with notepad, save a backup copy somewhere,
toward the bottom there should be something look similar to this:
127.0.0.1 localhost
under that add to it
127.0.0.1 jem.d-addict.net
Note though that if you have router and static ip you may want to replace the 127 with your static ip from the router.
This will attempt to redirect those urls to your desktop when it breaks down at the routers NAT.
-- Robx --
My Series
Batched by abcd99:
Status
Retired.

rjbennett

Post by rjbennett » Jan 1st, '08, 20:17

It worked! I had to tweak your suggestions a little, but I can download files again from d-addicts, using my desktop computer with Windows XP. The download is fast and problem-free.

If I just say "thanks," it doesn't seem like much, compared to the effort you put into answering my questions. But - thank you.

Just for information, I'll add two attachments to this message, showing how my host file looked before and after the changes. (The text in the file is in German, because I live in Germany and I had to get a Windows XP OS in German, but at the bottom of the attachements you can make out what I changed.) I'd forgotten that I'd made similar changes before, involving d-addicts, a long time ago, but I wouldn't have had any idea what to do this time, if you hadn't sent your message.

Again, many, many thanks.

Best regards, Bob Bennett
Attachments
After changes.JPG
After changes.JPG (87.9 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Before changes.JPG
Before changes.JPG (87.13 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

robx

Post by robx » Jan 1st, '08, 20:23

Glad it worked out. You where more than likely to have been hitting NAT redirection problems with router. I had that problem just not too long ago with web hosting off my own PC. I couldn't get to my web GUI using external ip or URL, but i could get to it by internal IP address. So i found that what i told you helped out and I'm glad it helped you out as well.
-- Robx --
My Series
Batched by abcd99:
Status
Retired.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jan 4th, '08, 15:21

Eh, script problem... I just use NoScript, so I would only allow necessary scripts. I found it bit handy.

Of course, when you are using it for the first time, you got lot of work to do....... [/techgeekXD]