An Issue with VirtualDub

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
still_dr3amin

An Issue with VirtualDub

Post by still_dr3amin » Jul 20th, '12, 18:41

Hi There!

After taking forever to figure out how to convert softsub to hardsub, I finally succeeded in doing so with VirtualDub. It worked like a charm, embedding subtitles into the video in about 20 minutes. All the episodes were about 700 MB so I thought that was pretty quick, I got up to episode 09. I was able to stream it to my PS3 from my laptop. Then today I tried to do it again but something was different today. It took 3 hours to get to 30% progress so compared to yesterday it is painfully slow. I don't know what happened overnight. I uninstalled all the necessary programs, restarted my laptop and re-install it again but I got the same slow progress. Does anyone know what happened or if I'm missing something?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jul 21st, '12, 05:00

Missing some information like what was the output audio/video codec and their settings.

Anyway, could be that the file that you were trying to convert was corrupted. Did you try another file or a file that worked before and only took 20 minutes to convert?
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

still_dr3amin

Post by still_dr3amin » Jul 23rd, '12, 19:49

Thanks for responding! I figured out what I did wrong. I didn't set the compression to MPEG4 Video Codec. I also have another question, hopefully you or anyone can answer for me.

Hard-subbing a 700MB episode was at most 40 minutes but now that I have larger files around 1.4 GB and it takes about 2 hours to complete. Would I be able to reduce the size so that the hard-subbing process will be faster? If so with what program?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jul 24th, '12, 08:40

I think you ended up changing the default setting on MPEG4 video codec or the video files now you're hardsubbing is now at higher resolution. Remember a video resolution at 1280x720 is 3.3 times bigger than 704x396 in total pixels per frame. 40 minutes times 3.3 is around 2 hours. While the size only doubles, I guessing that he video codec is very efficient when there are more pixels to work with and compress better.

Anyway, if you don't care about resolution, you can use a resize filter to reduce the resolution to 704x396.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.