Private Tracker

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Private Tracker

Post by furransu » May 6th, '11, 15:32

Next season I'm thinking of moving my uploads to a private tracker..

Obtaining raws is difficult these days, so I want to avoid leechers and people from posting direct downloads to sites or streaming sites.

I'm thinking of uploading to asiatorrents or jpopsuki.. anyone know any other suggestions?

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » May 6th, '11, 16:14

Have you ever considered that the pirates are members of these trackers? 24 hours after you post the pirates will have them.

Know this from the rare Chitose Hajime I posted on private trackers. Didn't take long for it to propagate. And it is shima-uta for god sakes! Not the latest dorama.

Gryzze posts SKE48 Team E LOD's on Hello Online and I wont share them anywhere, including Jpopsuk. How many are like me? If you put on the internet, anywhere, it will get stolen.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 6th, '11, 16:28

FSS?

iLLusiOnEr

Post by iLLusiOnEr » May 6th, '11, 16:31

i guess if you re-encode the file and put watermark like silentregret did, some text reminding viewer to take any future file from site that you want it posted. that'll make sure your version of file have your footprint.

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Private Tracker

Post by k361 » May 6th, '11, 17:11

furransu wrote:Obtaining raws is difficult these days, so I want to avoid leechers and people from posting direct downloads to sites or streaming sites.
I am also disapointed from leechers and avoid streaming sites
You dislike ddl sites. okay.
For me ddl are a supplement to get some series. i reseed most of my ddl drama.
I'm thinking of uploading to asiatorrents or jpopsuki.. anyone know any other suggestions?
i can live with this idea and have no problem with ratio at private server.

I think you should watermark your files. But it will have less effect about distribution by others.

nhabla

Post by nhabla » May 6th, '11, 17:43

First of all, I'm thankful for all your hard work since without you and the other uploaders I wouldn't be able to watch anything from Japan. I use both asiatorrents/jpopsuki so if you decide to upload your stuff there i'll gladly help you seed.

SouthsideIrish

Re: Private Tracker

Post by SouthsideIrish » May 6th, '11, 20:39

k361 wrote:
furransu wrote:
i can live with this idea and have no problem with ratio at private server.

I think you should watermark your files. But it will have less effect about distribution by others.
And this will do nothing!

As I said, put it on any tracker and it'll get stolen, public or private.

Re-encode and compress the crap out of it and you hurt the users like me. Your work is still stolen.

So, quit., that is the only optioo. If you upload it, it will get stolen.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 6th, '11, 21:33

alright.. i guess i'd better off with stopping to upload drama next season.. i actually planned that this season lol.. its just theres almost nobody who were uploading drama though.. makes me sad..

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » May 6th, '11, 21:54

Well, you either live with it, or give up. All you have to do is look at the RIAA. You cannot protect your raws.

ssih

Post by ssih » May 6th, '11, 22:07

furransu wrote: makes me sad..
As someone who benefits regularly from your uploads, me too.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 6th, '11, 22:42

First of all I want to thank you for all your uploads.

Secondly having only recently started uploading subs myself, I want to offer my thoughts on the issue.

The first point is that what we are doing is not legal, so I placed a condition on my subs just to try to keep a low profile. You have to reconsider the original reason why you are uploading in the first place. I did it originally, to give me a greater sense of purpose to learn Japanese, but after having done my first fansub, I felt a great sense of accomplishment because it is no easy task and it takes a lot of time. I also felt a greater connection to other people such as yourself than just being a leecher, but the most important thing is that even though it is illegal I've learnt something for every sub that I do and I place learning above everything else.

The second point is that once I have uploaded, I tried to lose any attachment to it in a Buddhist kind of way - that is to lose your ego. Losing the ego is not an easy thing to do, but if you can do it I think you can accomplish great things, because you, yourself stops being an obstacle to greater accomplishment.
If people go against the conditions that I have place on my subs then there is nothing I can do about it. It is a reflection on what type of people they are and that it will most likely expose me to my crime. That means the chance of me stopping my uploads are greater if I was sent a notice to stop. Once that happens, I can say that as long as the sources are available I would still fansub but I wouldn't be uploading them.

Finally, if I was to stray from my original purpose then that is a time for me to stop fansubbing. I think that If I ask for donations, or payment for a cause then I'm not doing fansubbing. It either becomes a job where I should implement a proper business model or I become an NGO.

So what I'm saying is that if you stray from the original purpose of what you are doing then it is better for you to stop than to make life more complicated for yourself. Although, when I do my translations I have the viewers in mind, the fan in fansub is not them but me. It is what I can benefit from it. Once that benefit is gone then there is no more reason to continue. Although, it is sad for me to say it, to unburden yourself, I think it is better for you to stop.

aeo

Post by aeo » May 6th, '11, 23:12

I agree with theuncontactable. I have uploaded English movies and TV shows on other P2P sites, both public and private. At first, I was annoyed when I was not given thanks or acknowledged for my efforts. Those who leech without seeding also bothered me. Finally, I have had instances where people took my uploads and changed the credits and uploaded as their own. That was almost the last straw and I was not going to upload anything further but I figured I got more than I received in the P2P arena. So I don't receive thanks or people hit and run without seeding or files are stolen from me, who cares. I upload these files so that other people will enjoy them. That's all.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 6th, '11, 23:36

aeo wrote:I agree with theuncontactable. I have uploaded English movies and TV shows on other P2P sites, both public and private. At first, I was annoyed when I was not given thanks or acknowledged for my efforts. Those who leech without seeding also bothered me. Finally, I have had instances where people took my uploads and changed the credits and uploaded as their own. That was almost the last straw and I was not going to upload anything further but I figured I got more than I received in the P2P arena. So I don't receive thanks or people hit and run without seeding or files are stolen from me, who cares. I upload these files so that other people will enjoy them. That's all.
Well the alternative to stop uploading is to continue without worrying about what other people do, and stop when you get a notice from the original owners. The problem with "what other people do" is that the chances of getting a notice is greater. Remember that we don't own these raws in the first place.

When I talked about "attachment" to things, for people who have been around d-addicts long enough - GROINK was prime example.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 7th, '11, 01:11

I'll sum it up:
1. Obtaining raws is EXTREMELY difficult nowadays, hence the lack of uploaders at d-a.
2. I have monthly internet quota of only 200gb for DL and UL, so i feel uploading raws to leechers is just wrong. D-addicts status right now: 12 Registered, 5 Hidden and 360 Guests.. (d-a need to disable access to torrents and subtitles section to guests!)

Y_T

Post by Y_T » May 7th, '11, 01:14

interesting statistics. agree should disable access to torrents and subtitles section to guests...

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 7th, '11, 01:23

Don't you have to register to download?

I thought my status is "guess" when I come to the site and not login.

If I'm wrong then I agree, that we should make people register, but I hope that registration is always accessible and open unlike some other sites.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 7th, '11, 01:51

currently anyone can access torrents and subtitles sections.. which is not a good thing

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » May 7th, '11, 02:41

furransu wrote:I'll sum it up:
1. Obtaining raws is EXTREMELY difficult nowadays, hence the lack of uploaders at d-a.
2. I have monthly internet quota of only 200gb for DL and UL, so i feel uploading raws to leechers is just wrong. <snip>)
furransu isn't exaggerating about raws (Japanese, anyway) being extremely difficult to obtain nowadays. It isn't just a matter of a series not showing up in the usual places either, but a trend towards a series not being completed or risk being shut out of more private sources for sharing with others. It doesn't help when a person does upload something to share with others and then not be given even the most basic appreciation of a thank you or, worse yet, help with seeding. Uploaders aren't expecting essays or critical commentary. Just a bit of a nod for the work & time & resources they gave to make it more readily available. (EDIT: And those I've had the opportunity to chat with have all done it because they're fans.)

I'm also sure that, like me, most of the uploaders here have other areas of interest (maybe even a real life :P ) and are on other trackers or private forums that have ratio or participation requirements. More and more ISPs worldwide are beginning to impose the bandwidth quotas that furransu is under. If the community is going to thrive, the burdens have to be shared. If the users don't participate for the benefit of all, then expect to lose what has for years been a magnificent source of East Asian drama & television. The whole reason I got into uploading what little I could was to try to take some of the burden off of uploaders like gryzze, Xraymind, furransu and others through the years, all of whom I would be so much poorer without their efforts. Even if all you can do is give a bit more MB to seed what you've downloaded, that's still better than doing nothing at all.
Last edited by toyotaku on May 7th, '11, 02:53, edited 3 times in total.

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » May 7th, '11, 02:42

furransu wrote:currently anyone can access torrents and subtitles sections.. which is not a good thing
Yes, I agree with furransu. :salut:

I think D-A should make it compulsory for people to register if they want to download anything. Right now people who want to say thank you for downloading the torrent can't because they are not registered. Well, isn't it common courtesy to say thank you when you take something?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 7th, '11, 07:31

But then my guess would be we'll get a lot of 1-time-posters that just register for the sake of accessing torrents/subs.
Just look at the "Jpopsuki invitation" thread.

xaxa

Post by xaxa » May 7th, '11, 10:15

aeo wrote:So I don't receive thanks or people hit and run without seeding or files are stolen from me, who cares. I upload these files so that other people will enjoy them. That's all.
+1

Well, if there is a bandwidth quota, then this sucks, other than that I don't see a problem.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 7th, '11, 10:33

I really don't care much for thank-you's because I see them as spam. However I think there should be a thank-you button for people to click on and their names registered in an area in a box on the thread.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 7th, '11, 15:20

theuncontactable wrote:When I talked about "attachment" to things, for people who have been around d-addicts long enough - GROINK was prime example.
You know, as much as I hate to admit it, Groink was right. That's why I can totally understand where furransu is coming from. I was never a big uploader but I helped with the SOTM\SOTW and would help seed alot of the older torrents and even find those rare files that had long ago been abandoned and forgotten. I've seen so many contributors just walk away over the years and I myself needed to take a break now and again because honestly it's just not worth it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 7th, '11, 16:07

If it could be possible, I would like to see the same system as on asiatorrents or demonoid - a ratio. Everyone below 1:1 should be banned. Thus - only registered members should be allowed to download.
But I see no way of overhauling the whole torrents section on DA.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 7th, '11, 16:25

Ethlenn wrote:If it could be possible, I would like to see the same system as on asiatorrents or demonoid - a ratio. Everyone below 1:1 should be banned. Thus - only registered members should be allowed to download.
I'm not so happy about "members only" communities, but if it's a solution for keeping torrents alive longer, then yes.
Make a face lift of the website (update FAQ if necessary) and at the same time change to membership/ratio.

Orbity

Post by Orbity » May 7th, '11, 17:06

Ethlenn wrote:If it could be possible, I would like to see the same system as on asiatorrents or demonoid - a ratio. Everyone below 1:1 should be banned. Thus - only registered members should be allowed to download.
Sounds great to me. Implement it please.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 7th, '11, 23:43

d-addicts will not run its own tracker like before. Ruroshin had to change the torrents section like to what it is now due to legal issues iirc..

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 8th, '11, 01:20

furransu wrote:currently anyone can access torrents and subtitles sections.. which is not a good thing
That's exactly how it should be.
I upload files because I want people to download them. I really couldn't care less if not everyone seeds even to 1:1. My main priority is people getting the file, whether they're leechers or not doesn't matter to me. If this happens I probably will re-consider uploading to d-addicts. Nyaa and Tokyotosho are still working fine after all.

Southsideirish is also right in that this won't change a thing. Streaming sites will still get "your" files and on most private trackers you can leech all you want as long as you build up a good ratio.

Also, that's not possible with current d-addicts.

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » May 8th, '11, 05:54

I personally favour an open site. This site has worked well and torrents posted years ago are still being seeded.
I still seed all the batches I've uploaded. It's nice to be thanked and it's dispiriting if nobody really seems to care but my motivation comes from wanting to share a joy I've had and it's not only for the worthy.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '11, 07:52

I know, Drazic, and you are partially right, but some of the uploaders (myself included) have DL/UL monthly quota. And seeing the file dry up in a week or two makes me a bit angry.
I don't care about the "thanks" anyway, but I'd like to see some giving back in a form of seeding.

I know it's impossible to go to own tracker, I was just saying :D

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 8th, '11, 19:17

Ethlenn wrote:I know, Drazic, and you are partially right, but some of the uploaders (myself included) have DL/UL monthly quota. And seeing the file dry up in a week or two makes me a bit angry.
I don't care about the "thanks" anyway, but I'd like to see some giving back in a form of seeding.
You do realize that a torrent dying in two weeks doesn't just have to do with hit and run leechers though right? If a torrent isn't popular enough and there aren't any new leechers after 2/3 weeks it won't matter if everyone seeded or not. It will die out either way. At asiandvdclub.org tokusatsu dvds aren't very popular so regardless being a private tracker with pretty strict ratio rules those torrents still die fairly fast.

And while you think uploading at a private tracker might be easier for people with a limit on their DL/UL (I really don't see why it'd be easier). It would be harder for those people to actually download drama. D-addicts being fairly open is why we got so much subtitled drama in the first place. Some might not be as good as others but it's still a fact that anyone who likes can download a raw, maybe even find a japanese sub and translate a drama.

Oh, and for some reason furransu doesn't like "his" raws being "stolen". You do realize that would happen a lot more if d-addicts went private right? Also, there's a lot of people who do have rather fast internet without any upload limits. Ever tried to get those people to do batches for the raws you uploaded? Batches tend to last a lot longer than single ep torrents.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '11, 19:28

Ah, whatever. I'm only saying from my own experience. As I said, I don't know the tech stuff. There is Baeksoo on K-section making batches, and I make them as well from time to time. But K-section is fairly secured, as for now. At least popular drama are.
I think furransu moving out from DA would be a great loss to J-section, this is why I'm concerned.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 8th, '11, 19:55

Drazic wrote:Also, there's a lot of people who do have rather fast internet without any upload limits. Ever tried to get those people to do batches for the raws you uploaded? Batches tend to last a lot longer than single ep torrents.
Your solution is for Ethlenn to ask the help of other people, who obviously have no interest in the release or else they would be downloading and sharing it to begin with? Are you serious? :roll That answer is reflective of the current problem. It's the whole there's always some <strike>good-hearted person willing to share out of the goodness of their heart</strike> sucker to take advantage of attitude. :glare:

But yeah, I guess the whole debate is pointless since Ruroshin has made it clear from the beginning that D-Addicts will always remain an open and public forum. The only alternative is to walk away as someone disparagingly mentioned. Or take a break or just do less like me. :P

mieko

Post by mieko » May 8th, '11, 19:58

I think d-addicts should become a private site and the members bound to torrent ratios. There are simply too many leechers and lurkers that come on to the site use but don't contribute. I took a break for several years from trying to upload 80's raws because it was clear that there were nothing but leechers just for the purpose of taking without giving anything back whether it's a thank you or just even seeding a bit.
I just started to seed a old show a couple days ago and seeded to a ratio of 1.50 ( i've got a bandwith cap :( ) and 127 completed but none of the them decided to keep seeding a little bit :(
Whether it's a private tracker as the OP is looking for or direct downloading kinda doesn't matter.. I personally think is that the members of this site should be held more accountable for their downloading habits.. the kind people who upload RAWS and/or Subs should be commended on their continued generosity and the members should show the respect needed by AT LEAST being a decent seeder and not stealing it and putting it elsewhere.
IMHO.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 8th, '11, 20:07

What does it matter if somebody re-distributes RAWs you've uploaded here? It's not like you made all those television shows, or have permission to distribute them. I've always thought files should be spread as far and wide as possible, to make them accessible to more people and to protect them from disappearing. I certainly don't care about somebody re-distributing CDs or DVDs I've ripped. Saves me the trouble of doing it myself.

As for private trackers, I believe JPopsuki only allows dramas that are music-related, like AKB48 stuff. If you put your stuff on Asiatorrents, it's no problem for someone to "steal" it.

Why are RAWs more difficult to obtain now? Is it because Japanese authorities are cracking down on file sharing so much? I'm sure the horrible and constantly changing software doesn't help either.

Edit: The lack of seeding on D-A is a problem though. Only a membership system can fix it, but that would require a private tracker which is apparently not possible. If it wasn't for re-distribution, all the files uploaded here would permanently disappear quite quickly.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 8th, '11, 20:36

saigo_x wrote:
Drazic wrote:Also, there's a lot of people who do have rather fast internet without any upload limits. Ever tried to get those people to do batches for the raws you uploaded? Batches tend to last a lot longer than single ep torrents.
Your solution is for Ethlenn to ask the help of other people, who obviously have no interest in the release or else they would be downloading and sharing it to begin with? Are you serious? :roll That answer is reflective of the current problem. It's the whole there's always some <strike>good-hearted person willing to share out of the goodness of their heart</strike> sucker to take advantage of attitude. :glare:
All i'm saying is that while there might be a lot of hit and run leechers there's also a lot of people with a good connection that do want to help. Going to a private tracker means there'll be less of both.
mieko wrote: Whether it's a private tracker as the OP is looking for or direct downloading kinda doesn't matter.. I personally think is that the members of this site should be held more accountable for their downloading habits.. the kind people who upload RAWS and/or Subs should be commended on their continued generosity and the members should show the respect needed by AT LEAST being a decent seeder and not stealing it and putting it elsewhere.
IMHO.
This isn't Robin Hood. We steal from the japanese companies but because we're fans it's somehow immoral to steal from us? That really makes no sense at all.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 8th, '11, 20:53

lollercopter wrote:What does it matter if somebody re-distributes RAWs you've uploaded here? It's not like you made all those television shows, or have permission to distribute them. I've always thought files should be spread as far and wide as possible, to make them accessible to more people and to protect them from disappearing. I certainly don't care about somebody re-distributing CDs or DVDs I've ripped. Saves me the trouble of doing it myself.
But that is the problem, the supposed "wide distribution" never pays off. It is the reason groups ask that there not be more than one torrent for their releases. Distribution eventually leads to dilution. You completely misunderstand the problem. Giving more to someone who will never give back is pointless.
Drazic wrote:All i'm saying is that while there might be a lot of hit and run leechers there's also a lot of people with a good connection that do want to help. Going to a private tracker means there'll be less of both.
A lot of people? Where?? :scratch: When is the last time you looked at the list of uploaders on the torrent page? :roll If a few key people stopped uploading you would lose half the audience.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 8th, '11, 21:10

saigo_x wrote:
Drazic wrote:All i'm saying is that while there might be a lot of hit and run leechers there's also a lot of people with a good connection that do want to help. Going to a private tracker means there'll be less of both.
A lot of people? Where?? :scratch: When is the last time you looked at the list of uploaders on the torrent page? :roll If a few key people stopped uploading you would lose half the audience.
What I mean is that there should be a lot of people who might not be able to get original files to upload but might be able to help with things like initial seeding and batch torrents. A good connection with no data limit is becoming a normal thing to have in a lot of countries. This'll probably become less of an issue as time goes by as there'll be no more reason to limit your upload on a torrent client. I realize that it might be hard to actually find these people but there's no use in not trying.

I've had to work with 20 kb/s for a while and it's nearly impossible to seed stuff then. However, now that i've got 100 kb/s upload I only limit when I need my upload for something else. And 100 kb/s is very slow compared to what you can get with cable and fiber connections nowadays over here.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » May 8th, '11, 21:36

Drazic wrote:
saigo_x wrote:
What I mean is that there should be a lot of people who might not be able to get original files to upload but might be able to help with things like initial seeding and batch torrents. A good connection with no data limit is becoming a normal thing to have in a lot of countries. This'll probably become less of an issue as time goes by as there'll be no more reason to limit your upload on a torrent client. I realize that it might be hard to actually find these people but there's no use in not trying.

I've had to work with 20 kb/s for a while and it's nearly impossible to seed stuff then. However, now that i've got 100 kb/s upload I only limit when I need my upload for something else. And 100 kb/s is very slow compared to what you can get with cable and fiber connections nowadays over here.
Really? Don't you mean was the normal? We in the US, that are ATT just went to a 150GB cap, and Comcast has a 250GB cap. Caps are increasing.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 8th, '11, 21:45

SouthsideIrish wrote:
Drazic wrote:
saigo_x wrote:

Really? Don't you mean was the normal? We in the US, that are ATT just went to a 150GB cap, and Comcast has a 250GB cap. Caps are increasing.
Yeah, that's odd. I've read about that and afaik it's the exception rather than the rule. In most other countries it's slowly getting better rather than worse.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » May 8th, '11, 22:15

Not in the US. If Jpopsuki didn't have BP I'd be screwed.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 9th, '11, 08:49

saigo_x wrote:But that is the problem, the supposed "wide distribution" never pays off. It is the reason groups ask that there not be more than one torrent for their releases. Distribution eventually leads to dilution. You completely misunderstand the problem. Giving more to someone who will never give back is pointless.
So this is all about ego and self-service then? I don't get anything back when I upload something on JPopsuki for example (the ratio benefit is minimal since my files are of relatively marginal interest), I just do it to share my stuff with others.

If D-A files were never, ever distributed outside the site, they would simply die and only occasionally be re-seeded when someone makes a request. Why would you want that to happen?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 9th, '11, 17:22

lollercopter wrote:
saigo_x wrote:But that is the problem, the supposed "wide distribution" never pays off. It is the reason groups ask that there not be more than one torrent for their releases. Distribution eventually leads to dilution. You completely misunderstand the problem. Giving more to someone who will never give back is pointless.
So this is all about ego and self-service then? I don't get anything back when I upload something on JPopsuki for example (the ratio benefit is minimal since my files are of relatively marginal interest), I just do it to share my stuff with others.
:blink There is that mentality I was referring to again. What part of my post you quoted says anything about "ego"? None of the contributors who have expressed their opinions are asking others to bow their heads in worship. Seriously you people need to get over that crap already. You guys are worse than the leechers bitching about it taking more than a day to complete older torrents. :x The whole passive aggressive attacks with words like "ego" and such are really annoying. There is no point in continuing the debate with comments like that. It's BS like this that made me give up on the KSOTM. :cussing:

@furransu: Just take a break. If you decide that you want to continue, great. But no reasonable person is going to blame you for walking away like so many others have done over the years. :salut:

mieko

Post by mieko » May 9th, '11, 17:56

If you check that lollcoper dude's profile he's not even a uploader here..

Who gives a damn about jpopsuki lollcopter !!!!i... This is not Jpopsuki.. You're just a complaining leecher who does nothing to contribute to d-addicts except ask for stuff and complain on a thread you have no right to shoot your mouth off on. Say crap like "ego" & "what's the big deal" just shows you are just a leeching moron who simply does not understand what effort goes into obtaining materials for d-addicts... I know there is probably a small sub-section of uploaders who do it for "ego" but i'm sure the majority of uploaders do it just to share with fellow people.. So piss off....

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 9th, '11, 18:42

saigo_x wrote::blink There is that mentality I was referring to again. What part of my post you quoted says anything about "ego"? None of the contributors who have expressed their opinions are asking others to bow their heads in worship. Seriously you people need to get over that crap already. You guys are worse than the leechers bitching about it taking more than a day to complete older torrents. :x The whole passive aggressive attacks with words like "ego" and such are really annoying. There is no point in continuing the debate with comments like that. It's BS like this that made me give up on the KSOTM. :cussing:
What are you even talking about? What point are you trying to make?
mieko wrote:If you check that lollcoper dude's profile he's not even a uploader here..
I never claimed or implied to be an uploader here.
Who gives a damn about jpopsuki lollcopter !!!!i... This is not Jpopsuki..
I was using it as an example. I've also uploaded torrents on FSS, AT and ADC.
You're just a complaining leecher who does nothing to contribute to d-addicts except ask for stuff and complain on a thread you have no right to shoot your mouth off on.
I've so far uploaded 36 gigabytes of the new Beach Boys batch, among other things. I guess I should stop since that doesn't count as contributing. It's not like seeding is important on a torrent site!

If I don't have a right to post here why don't you report me to a moderator, Internet Tough Guy.
Say crap like "ego" & "what's the big deal" just shows you are just a leeching moron who simply does not understand what effort goes into obtaining materials for d-addicts... I know there is probably a small sub-section of uploaders who do it for "ego" but i'm sure the majority of uploaders do it just to share with fellow people.. So piss off....
If the idea is to just share, then what does it matter if the files are re-distributed elsewhere? Wouldn't that be a good thing?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 9th, '11, 18:53

lollercopter wrote:What are you even talking about? What point are you trying to make?
Oh please, stop feigning ignorance. All you ever reply with are deragotory insinuations about "ego" and "self serving". It's the passive aggressive way of calling someone an egotistical famewhore while claming innocence. You have not made any reasonable contribution to this debate/discussion. All you've done is insult people and told them to "stop whinning". That is the "attitude" I am referring to, which is evident in all the posts by the naysayers in this thread. :x
lollercopter wrote:
You're just a complaining leecher who does nothing to contribute to d-addicts except ask for stuff and complain on a thread you have no right to shoot your mouth off on.
I've so far uploaded 36 gigabytes of the new Beach Boys batch, among other things. I guess I should stop since that doesn't count as contributing. It's not like seeding is important on a torrent site!
According to your own logic, bringing up how much you uploead makes you a whinner who just wants attention. :roll [sarcasm]I guess you are one of those hidden masses with extra bandiwth Drazic was talking about. Stop whining about how much you upload and help Ethlenn seed some batches. [/sarcasm]

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 9th, '11, 19:01

saigo_x wrote:Oh please, stop feigning ignorance. All you ever reply with are deragotory insinuations about "ego" and "self serving". It's the passive aggressive way of calling someone an egotistical famewhore while claming innocence. You have not made any reasonable contribution to this debate/discussion. All you've done is insult people and told them to "stop whinning". That is the "attitude" I am referring to, which is evident in all the posts by the naysayers in this thread. :x
Cool, so you're just here to troll.
saigo_x wrote:According to your own logic, bringing up how much you uploead makes you a whinner who just wants attention. :roll
I never said anything like that.
[sarcasm]I guess you are one of those hidden masses with extra bandiwth Drazic was talking about. Stop whining about how much you upload and help Ethlenn seed some batches. [/sarcasm]
At no point have I "whined" about how much I upload. I simply refuted the incorrect notion that the only possible way to contribute to a torrent site is to upload torrents.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 9th, '11, 19:05

lollercopter wrote:Cool, so you're just here to troll.
Why don't you take a poll smart guy? The only troll here is you. If you knew anything at all you would see that the people who have actually discussed the problem are a wide range of contributors all with the same experiences. You've offered nothing of value. You are a naysayer and nothing more.
lollercopter wrote:I never said anything like that.
At no point have I "whined" about how much I upload. I simply refuted the incorrect notion that the only possible way to contribute to a torrent site is to upload torrents.
And at no point has anyone here made an egotistical or self serving statement yet that is exactly what you accuse us of. Do you see the point yet?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 9th, '11, 19:10

Please, stop it. Now the discussion turned sour, and I guess the whole point of the thread is lost.
Everyone is entitled to one's own opinion, but let's not go personal.
Let's go back to more important things - like how to make this site better.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 9th, '11, 19:15

Ethlenn wrote:Please, stop it. Now the discussion turned sour, and I guess the whole point of the thread is lost.
Everyone is entitled to one's own opinion, but let's not go personal.
Let's go back to more important things - like how to make this site better.
That's the problem, anytime someone tries to discuss the subject you get people like lollercopter and Drazic who claim we are being egotistical and self-serving. Do you believe furransu was being that way? If not then it is clear where the personal atttacks began.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 9th, '11, 19:16

saigo_x wrote:Why don't you take a poll smart guy? The only troll here is you. If you knew anything at all you would see that the people who have actually discussed the problem are a wide range of contributors all with the same experiences. You've offered nothing of value. You are a naysayer and nothing more.
You are not even talking about the subject, you're just posting random insults and red herrings.
And at no point has anyone here made an egotistical or self serving statement yet that is exactly what you accuse us of. Do you see the point yet?
You said: "You completely misunderstand the problem. Giving more to someone who will never give back is pointless."

To which I replied: "So this is all about ego and self-service then?"

Instead of answering the question you started derailing the thread.

Again: if this is all about simply sharing files with others, what exactly is the problem with D-A torrents being uploaded elsewhere?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 9th, '11, 19:19

I can see exactly when everyone stands and where the attacks come from, but please, don't take this any further.
I know few of you long enough, and I know this discussion in this shape is not worth the time of any of you, so please.

I'd like to hear more about propositions to improve D-A, not insults.
Ie, here:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... 98#1387598

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 9th, '11, 19:26

Ethlenn wrote:I'd like to hear more about propositions to improve D-A, not insults.
If the problem is a bad seeder-to-leecher ratio, the only solution I can think of is a membership system and a private tracker. But DA had to get rid of its tracker earlier.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 9th, '11, 19:30

lollercopter wrote:You said: "You completely misunderstand the problem. Giving more to someone who will never give back is pointless."

To which I replied: "So this is all about ego and self-service then?"

Instead of answering the question you started derailing the thread.

Again: if this is all about simply sharing files with others, what exactly is the problem with D-A torrents being uploaded elsewhere?
The whole point of the discussion is to find ways to improve the distribution of files so it is not only leechers that benefit from the hard work of the contributors. The goal is to lesen the load on the contributors and the people who actually give back to the community so that we ALL benefit. How you and others can misconstrue that as egosim and selfserving is beyond me. Have you offered anything to THAT discussion. NO! Your words are insults and the fact that you utter them and act as if it is part of some reasonable discussion is infuriating to myself and others.
Ethlenn wrote:I'd like to hear more about propositions to improve D-A, not insults.
It doesn't matter where the discussion takes place on this forum as long as the naysayers can freely intercede with their derogatory comments and insults. Just read back to the point where furransu stopped posting in the topic he started. There are many older threads with the same pattern. I've tried to help move the discussion forward may times but it always ends the same way. I'm tired of it.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 9th, '11, 19:39

saigo_x wrote:The whole point of the discussion is to find ways to improve the distribution of files so it is not only leechers that benefit from the hard work of the contributors. The goal is to lesen the load on the contributors and the people who actually give back to the community so that we ALL benefit. How you and others can misconstrue that as egosim and selfserving is beyond me. Have you offered anything to THAT discussion. NO! Your words are insults and the fact that you utter them and act as if it is part of some reasonable discussion is infuriating to myself and others.

H a n a

Post by H a n a » May 9th, '11, 20:24

furransu wrote:I'll sum it up:
2. I have monthly internet quota of only 200gb for DL and UL, so i feel uploading raws to leechers is just wrong. D-addicts status right now: 12 Registered, 5 Hidden and 360 Guests..
I appreciate the hard working of you guys
and I agree about your opinion about disabling access to torrents and subtitles section to guests!) so the hardworking doesn't go for nothing

mieko

Post by mieko » May 9th, '11, 23:06

Arguing or even replying to Loller is a utter waste of time.. He does not factor into this conversation and should really be ignored as he simply does not comprehend the matter at hand..

His claims of "sharing" 36 gig of beach boys or sharing stuff on other sites means nothing as it either means he's lying or he has unlimited bandwith and all the stuff he "shares" elsewhere he downloaded for free anyways... Otherwise he would have even the slightest idea of what the point of this thread is...

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 9th, '11, 23:57

in any case, im stopping uploading raws next season.. just hope someone will upload raws here..

however, if a subber wants to sub a series, feel free to PM me and i'll upload it just for you :)

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » May 10th, '11, 04:45

furransu wrote:in any case, im stopping uploading raws next season.. just hope someone will upload raws here.
So sorry to hear that. I really think you are a generous person to have been sharing your uploads all these years. :salut: You have been a major contributor to D-A and I hope this is not permanent. :cry: :-(

purple07mars

How about this

Post by purple07mars » May 10th, '11, 06:27

in any case, im stopping uploading raws next season.. just hope someone will upload raws here..

however, if a subber wants to sub a series, feel free to PM me and i'll upload it just for you
I for one will be sorry to see you go but take the break if you need it. But my suggestion as a fan is that you send your raws directly to the subbers. There quite a few established ones,and any odd one can email you as needed.

Thanks for all your great work so far. :thumleft:

xaxa

Post by xaxa » May 10th, '11, 08:09

saigo_x wrote:The whole point of the discussion is to find ways to improve the distribution of files so it is not only leechers that benefit from the hard work of the contributors. The goal is to lesen the load on the contributors and the people who actually give back to the community so that we ALL benefit.
Uploading on direct download sites (megaupload, multiupload, etc) saves the bandwidth AND eliminates the leechers problem :whistling:

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: How about this

Post by theuncontactable » May 10th, '11, 08:32

purple07mars wrote:

however, if a subber wants to sub a series, feel free to PM me and i'll upload it just for you
I for one will be sorry to see you go but take the break if you need it. But my suggestion as a fan is that you send your raws directly to the subbers. There quite a few established ones,and any odd one can email you as needed.
The problem is that subbers come and go. I personally would like to watch a drama with the raws first before I sub it. I just don't want to drop a project due to lack of of interest, once I've started. I read that Chuks felt the same way in choosing projects. It also means that I don't get first picks out of the new series. At the moment I'm going through the older series without English subs and with the Japanese subs available that may be possible projects. So I guess I'm filling a niche there. Also note that we are independent subbers and I think the more independent subbers there are means that there are more chances of series being subs.

Personally, I think that when we are passionate about doing something we will lose something such as money, time, badnwidth etc. but there are also intangible things that we can gain from the experience. You can see for yourself if you graduate from just a leecher (I don't mean the hit & run kind) to someone who contributes to the community.

In any case I think Furransu needs to take a break and if no-one else picks up the baton well I guess that's just too bad.

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » May 10th, '11, 09:20

mieko wrote:Arguing or even replying to Loller is a utter waste of time.. He does not factor into this conversation and should really be ignored as he simply does not comprehend the matter at hand..
I like how everyone keeps dancing around my question. So I guess my suspicions must be correct: this is about nothing more than ego and e-fame.
His claims of "sharing" 36 gig of beach boys or sharing stuff on other sites means nothing as it either means he's lying or he has unlimited bandwith and all the stuff he "shares" elsewhere he downloaded for free anyways... Otherwise he would have even the slightest idea of what the point of this thread is...
Bandwidth caps aren't used globally, and my upload speed (240 kilobytes/second) is modest compared to many others in the region.

Everything I have shared on other torrent sites I have ripped myself from CDs and DVDs that I own.

Screenshot of my uTorrent (oh, and you can probably double the other ratios... since I reinstalled Windows, uTorrent lost all its data).

I understand the point of this thread perfectly well.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 10th, '11, 09:41

lollercopter wrote: I like how everyone keeps dancing around my question. So I guess my suspicions must be correct: this is about nothing more than ego and e-fame.
I don't think people are dancing around your question, personally I just don't want to get involve in a flame war. :lol

I was the first person to mention "ego" although the meaning might not be the same as yours.

For what it's worth, I believe that if a person is truly magnanimous then they should not expect to get anything in return after giving something away, not even a thank-you.
The reality of course is that they do get something in return even though they may not realized it and they may get it in a round-about sort of way, if not immediately then in the future.

I think BT is the best distribution method of raws rather than mega-upload etc. because at least it gives people an opportunity to give something back to the community by seeding what they have downloaded. With Mega-uploads and the likes no such opportunity are available.

xaxa

Post by xaxa » May 10th, '11, 09:49

I think BT is the best distribution method of raws rather than mega-upload etc. because at least it gives people an opportunity to give something back to the community by seeding what they have downloaded. With Mega-uploads and the likes no such opportunity are available.
They could, for example, say thank you AND re-upload file to another hosting making a mirror. That way files could be stored for all community for a very long time (compared to torrents almost endlessly). :roll

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 10th, '11, 09:50

IF d-addicts is changed so that Torrents and Subtitles sections are locked to members only, then I will consider uploading here again next season. So someone try to get in touch with Ruroshin (admin) :)

and @lollercopter, my max upload speed is worst - only 100kb/s max.. but uploading torrents only at 60kb/s max to allow download bandwidth.. plus 200gb limit both ways which make things worst.. and that's $70/month here.. 500gb is $100..
Last edited by furransu on May 10th, '11, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 10th, '11, 09:51

Yes, but people don't bother, they just hotlink, and bandwidth of such DDL site expires quickly.

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 10th, '11, 10:01

[quote="xaxa"They could, for example, say thank you AND re-upload file to another hosting making a mirror. That way files could be stored for all community for a very long time (compared to torrents almost endlessly). :roll[/quote]

I'm downloading "Tobo Bengoshi" from d-addicts at the moment. Most files have 0 seeds and 1 or 2 leechers but from my experience with d-addicts, I'm pretty confident that I will get all of the files.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 10th, '11, 10:02

Ethlenn wrote:Yes, but people don't bother, they just hotlink, and bandwidth of such DDL site expires quickly.
Don't most sites actually work the other way around? Active files don't get deleted and files that don't get downloaded much do. I really don't see why I should care about people hotlinking my files rather than reuploading it on a different or even the same ddl site.

You can't actually re-upload at MU anyway. It'll just detect that they already have the file and give you the same link.

furransu wrote:IF d-addicts is changed so that Torrents and Subtitles sections are locked to members only, then I will consider uploading here again next season. So someone try to get in touch with Ruroshin (admin) :)
You do realize that besides maybe a few thousand people making a account nothing would change right?
theuncontactable wrote:
I'm downloading "Tobo Bengoshi" from d-addicts at the moment. Most files have 0 seeds and 1 or 2 leechers but from my experience with d-addicts, I'm pretty confident that I will get all of the files.
Very true, I've found that generally if you have patience dling old torrents at d-addicts isn't even that bad. I've finished dling plenty of older torrents just fine.

NeBli

Post by NeBli » May 10th, '11, 10:25

A thought from a noob, make the suggested locked sections only available to members with a certain numbers of post, say for example 20. And count only the post of certain forum areas, not the thanks for this torrent or thanks for that sub. Might get members here more active and willing to share/seed. That being said I need to get more active as well :-)

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 10th, '11, 10:44

...and what about people who are not proficient in English. How many post are they going to make?

Does it ever occur to anyone that people don't post much in a predominantly English language site is that they are not proficient in English?

Don't forget that the Internet has no national boundaries.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 10th, '11, 10:45

Drazic wrote: You do realize that besides maybe a few thousand people making a account nothing would change right?
Then there are no solutions then?..

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 10th, '11, 11:14

furransu wrote:
Drazic wrote: You do realize that besides maybe a few thousand people making a account nothing would change right?
There was no problem in the first place.

7th-key

Post by 7th-key » May 10th, '11, 11:18

Sorry, ignorant wondering on my part:
Are japanese-p2p users also annoyed at leechers and/or people who reupload "their" files somewhere else?

theuncontactable
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by theuncontactable » May 10th, '11, 11:19

If d-addicts uses its own tracker then there is a solution because we can follow the same model as BakaBT where people have to register and fulfill a certain seed ratio quota. However BakaBT is still a public site because anybody can register and join. I would say that this is a very successful model.

What I am really against is that D-addicts might become avistaz or asiatorrents.com where they don't accept anymore members or something like that Arashi fangirl site. If you look at some of the seed for avistaz - it is quite low also. The irony is that while they don't accept members they are distributing something that doesn't belong to them in the first place to a select group of people.

I think that D-addicts is fine as it is and I do feel a kind of community connection within d-addicts, because while we may be complaining about hit and runs and low seeds, there is a confidence that the files no matter how old will get delivered unlike say a dead torrent in TPB for example.