Most peers won't connect to me

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
ssih

Most peers won't connect to me

Post by ssih » Jan 24th, '11, 16:53

Many times when I'm the only seeder (or one of the only seeders), it seems that very few of the peers connect to me. Why is this? Is there some configuration that I need to tweak? When I'm the primary seeder of a new release, I seed to upwards of 100 peers.

I'm using BitTorrent 7.2
Attachments
btpeers.gif
btpeers.gif (6.17 KiB) Viewed 2648 times

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jan 24th, '11, 17:54

The possible peers in () are duplicate, fake, or unreachable peers. Duplicates peers happen when the torrent is using multiple trackers. Let say you have 4 trackers and 1 client contacts the 4 trackers saying it wants to download, each of the 4 trackers will tell your seeding client that they have 1 peer request and your client adds 4 trackers' 1 peer up as 4 requesting peers.

The fake peer is what it is, someone setup servers to keep track how busy the torrents are, but never download anything.

The last one is torrent clients running between firewall that don't have port forwarding setup correctly or at all. The clients might be also schedule only to download at certain time when no one else is using their Internet connections.

PS, if you set you torrent client not to allow legacy client to connect to you, then those are clients that don't support encryption to hide the torrent traffic on their network.
Last edited by XrayMind on Jan 25th, '11, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

ssih

Post by ssih » Jan 24th, '11, 18:25

That's some great info. Thanks!!