Question about fps?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Question about fps?

Post by Keiko1981 » Nov 30th, '10, 14:10

I'm having a little problem when it comes to the technical part of video quality, "fps" 'frames per second?'.
I'm unsure of which of these two below to use.

Is it "Frame count - the total number of video frames to be presented" (In the program Gspot this information can be seen to the right of the "Runtime" information.)
It looks like this number can be different, between 29-39.

Or is it "Frames per second - number of complete video images displayed per second. (seen to the right of "Pics/s").
This number is the same (25) for me on the videos I'm currently checking.

I also include an example
Episode 14 - part 1
File size 170 MB
Runtime 19:29
Audio MPEG-1, 96 kb/s, 48000Hz
Video DivX3, 512 x 384, ?? fps (it's this part I'm unsure of), 1067 kbps

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Dec 2nd, '10, 04:19

I don't really understand what you are trying to ask. Frame Per Seconds were never about the video quality. Broadcast in the old NTSC analog was 30fps(really 29.97fps) and PAL was 25 fps, but PAL has more video lines than NTSC. Movie are in 24fps, so does Anime broadcast in digitally in Japan to save cost, they don't have to draw an extra 6 frames per seconds.

Anyway, so in your example, 19:29 long video; if the video was 29.97fps, it should have around 35035 frames total. If it was 25fps, it should have around 29225.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Dec 2nd, '10, 11:21

XrayMind wrote:I don't really understand what you are trying to ask. Frame Per Seconds were never about the video quality. Broadcast in the old NTSC analog was 30fps(really 29.97fps) and PAL was 25 fps, but PAL has more video lines than NTSC. Movie are in 24fps, so does Anime broadcast in digitally in Japan to save cost, they don't have to draw an extra 6 frames per seconds.
Anyway, so in your example, 19:29 long video; if the video was 29.97fps, it should have around 35035 frames total. If it was 25fps, it should have around 29225.
What I'm wondering is what exactly is the 'fps' information of the two things I listed below.

"Frame count - the total number of video frames to be presented" (In the program Gspot this information can be seen to the right of the "Runtime" information.)

Or "Frames per second - number of complete video images displayed per second. (seen to the right of "Pics/s").

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Dec 2nd, '10, 18:03

Ok, I thought you were asking the different between FPS and frame count. This question seems to be more relate to the way GSpot display the frame count info. The problem is that Gspot hasn't been updated in 3 years and the codec pack I use, K-Lite, no longer includes it. They have switch from GSpot to MediaInfo. So I don't have GSpot installed to see what info it will display.

Anyway, from what I remember GSpot will display the header info from the media file and then reads the whole file to gave you extra info. While MediaInfo just reads the header. I remember stop using it, when the some info was not matching what I had setup in my encoding settings. Then I figure out that GSpot was giving me the wrong info when I loaded my encode file into video editor.
Please do not PM me about seeding any of my old torrents, as most of files that had uploaded are no longer on my computer.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Dec 2nd, '10, 22:33

Yes, use MediaInfo (the MPC integration is great!). Haven't used GSpot in years....

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Dec 3rd, '10, 09:01

AkumaX wrote:Yes, use MediaInfo (the MPC integration is great!). Haven't used GSpot in years....
Maybe I should try that one. :)