I don't want to use the latest version of Live Messenger

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

I don't want to use the latest version of Live Messenger

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 14th, '09, 10:08

Yesterday I had to use my backup and reinstall everything.
I've tried to install version 8,5 of Live Messneger, it just asks me to update to the latest version of Windows Live Messenger and I don't want to use it.
Is it just something Micro$oft has done that require everyone to update?
I'm strongly considering using Trillian instead.

Edit: Using aMSN at the moment, works okay.
Last edited by Keiko1981 on Apr 10th, '09, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

Kaitoz

Post by Kaitoz » Mar 14th, '09, 10:42

Yeah, the messenger is crappy like that. If you're two or three versions behind, you have to update at some point or you won't be able to log in. =/ It's annoying, but oh well -_-

Cry5tal

Post by Cry5tal » Mar 14th, '09, 13:09

Yea, I always try to use an old one as much as I can. I currently use 8.1 and don't wanna change.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Mar 14th, '09, 17:20

I had to reinstall messenger recently and I installed 8.5 and didn't have to upgrade.
I originally tried the new version but it's so freaking buggy it refused to stay logged in.

peacht
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by peacht » Mar 15th, '09, 08:32

I use A-Patch a tool to customize messenger. It may not resolve your problem but it's well worth checking out.
I wouldn't use messenger anymore if it weren't for this.
If you have enjoyed series you found here then please help the community by offering to seed in Series Of The Month

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » Apr 3rd, '09, 05:04

Using lIve messenger is really annoying. Does anyone has this problem when you are chatting with someone and somehow a "link" will appear in the middle of your conversation.... something like telling you to go a a website to check this out? Very so often when I sign into my messenger and a message window will come on from one of my friend telling me to go to a certain website to check things out. When I email this person she'll tell me that she didn't send me anything.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Apr 3rd, '09, 18:04

Drama-craze wrote:Using lIve messenger is really annoying. Does anyone has this problem when you are chatting with someone and somehow a "link" will appear in the middle of your conversation.... something like telling you to go a a website to check this out? Very so often when I sign into my messenger and a message window will come on from one of my friend telling me to go to a certain website to check things out. When I email this person she'll tell me that she didn't send me anything.
most likely that person got a virus that sent a message to all their contacts in MSN. i've seen it before.

i personally use Trillian to manage AIM/Y!/MSN in a single client.

cool_drama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cool_drama » Apr 3rd, '09, 18:08

Drama-craze wrote:Using lIve messenger is really annoying. Does anyone has this problem when you are chatting with someone and somehow a "link" will appear in the middle of your conversation.... something like telling you to go a a website to check this out? Very so often when I sign into my messenger and a message window will come on from one of my friend telling me to go to a certain website to check things out. When I email this person she'll tell me that she didn't send me anything.
Those are spam messenges, very common. What you need to do is go to your privacy options and fix the settings so that only "friends on your list" can message you.
ImageImage

Drama-craze

Post by Drama-craze » Apr 4th, '09, 20:59

cool_drama wrote:
Those are spam messenges, very common. What you need to do is go to your privacy options and fix the settings so that only "friends on your list" can message you.
I did set my privacy option to only friends on my list but somehow it still happen.