Geeky Question! PHP related, any guru's here?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Geeky Question! PHP related, any guru's here?

Post by techie » Sep 11th, '08, 14:58

I have tried a few tools and toys that help in building php code, like PHPMaker 5 and so on.
I like them but they make very rudimentary code, not generic at all and I was wondering if someone has any good suggestions for RAD tools for PHP coding against MySQL, other than the above mentioned.
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Sep 11th, '08, 15:26

As a real geek, my answer is: use notepad or emacs or vim. In other words, write the code yourself. PHP is very simple. There's absolutely no need to have a program write the code for you.

abcd99

Post by abcd99 » Sep 11th, '08, 15:38

@ethidda: He's obviously looking for a tool / framework to make a serious app (>10,000 lines) in PHP very quickly. Emacs / Vim / notepad is just not going to cut it. There are lots of groundwork that you need to do (e.g. tedious database call, templating, etc) that the creation of which should be somewhat "automatable" to reduce the tedium.

@techie: I think you're asking in the wrong forum. Seriously. Go ask it in PHP forums. There are plenty of them. People will listen to you and give you sound advice there, not here. For an IDE, I can recommend Eclipse with PHP plugin (though the tool itself is pretty hefty). As for template / library, try PEAR or Smarty for starter. I know that these are basic, but I've never done any serious PHP programming (only 1,000-2,000-ish).

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Sep 11th, '08, 21:28

I know several people here know php really well and I was just to lazy to scoot elsewhere :)
yes I need a serious bugger.

I wrote my own MySQL Editor and am thinking of writing my own php mysql editor control as well.
Just now I dont have time as I have a deadline to meet and thought I could toss a blipp in quickly.

I may just build my own db class to solve the issue. I did one in VB before so it wont be hard to convert to PHP or even ASM if I get the stuff to flow in one table tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the link though.

PS / my latest two creations are about 280 pages (*60-300 lines) so far and thats not even launchable yet.
All in a few months work I guess.

For IDE now I use WeBuilder2007 and Notepad
Some repetition in excel for the good use of Concatenate and Fill down functions only.
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Sep 11th, '08, 21:41

Hmm... guess my bad then. I've only ever used php for website stuff, either to display information from databases dynamically or to scrape websites and then store the information. I've only ever used OO languages for anything that would seriously be considered an application. And for that, I still use emacs, even though I have written programs over 10k lines.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Sep 11th, '08, 22:55

Im with you on that.
I build for windows only so far but am learning some new tricks and this project is not really an app, more a cart and forum system for a major website project.
Just the db alone is 25% larger than OSCommerce but with some nifty features in it.
My personal pet project will come live soon too and that is not as large, just tedious in coding.

It gets a bit boring after a while recoding stuff and I found PHP maker is good but has the bad habit of making one page for every function. like tbl1.add tbl1.delete tbl1.update and so on...

Imagine the mess when the system calls for 59 tables and everyone has 4-6 pages each.
This can be done more generic with approx 6 php files in total but I have not coded that up yet.