Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[RESOLVED] Best format to play on DivX standalone players?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
hobz

[RESOLVED] Best format to play on DivX standalone players?

Post by hobz » Jun 8th, '07, 07:59

hi. is there any format that allows one to turn off and on the subtitles?
i know AVI is hardsubbed
OGM and MKV allows multiple selection of subtitles but the subtitle tracks are not really readable on DivX players
Last edited by hobz on Jun 13th, '07, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 9th, '07, 03:10

You can convert an AVI with softsubs to DVD with selectable subs.
Check the tutorial here http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_25416.htm

hobz

Post by hobz » Jun 9th, '07, 03:14

is the file format vob? cos i think vob takes up lots of space. thought of squeezing multiple eps onto a dvd :unsure: will the quality be reduced by converting into a vob?

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jun 9th, '07, 05:15

if you have the RAW and .srt file, you can make it so that the subtitles can be turned off and on.

search for DivxMuXWizz on www.divx.com website. u can integrate up to 3 subtitle files on one avi file.

was curious, so i did some research, used it, and to my surprise, it WORKED!!!. it was pretty fast.
played it on my LGdvb418 DVD/Divx player, it was nice (no quality degradation).

as far as pc playback, couldnt get the multi-subs to work on windows media player and i dont have the DivX player installed on my pc (just have the codec installed)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 9th, '07, 13:50

itsukiD: when you burn it on your cd or dvd, is it just one avi file, or the avi file with three srt's?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 9th, '07, 14:49

hobz wrote:is the file format vob? cos i think vob takes up lots of space. thought of squeezing multiple eps onto a dvd :unsure: will the quality be reduced by converting into a vob?
Right, it gets converted to a VOB, but I actually think the quality is much better than playing an AVI on your DVD player. That is because usually the AVI and TV are different resolutions and the Dvd player has to compensate somehow, so you lose quality either way. Also, part of the video will be cut due to overscan problems. If you convert to DVD format on your PC, it reformats the picture so there are no overscan problems. You should not notice any picture degredation if you stick with 3 hours per DVD which is usually 3 or 4 episodes. The downside is of course that it takes a long time to do the conversion, then you have to author the DVD after the conversion is done.

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jun 9th, '07, 15:41

jholic wrote:itsukiD: when you burn it on your cd or dvd, is it just one avi file, or the avi file with three srt's?
its one avi file. here's a sample of Air City Ep 01 on my philips dvp5960

happy watching
D

hobz

Post by hobz » Jun 10th, '07, 04:32

itsukiD wrote:
jholic wrote:itsukiD: when you burn it on your cd or dvd, is it just one avi file, or the avi file with three srt's?
how huge is the filesize?

cool. u are able to turn the subs on and off?
would it re-encode the video into divx?
cos i know divx encoding picture quality isn't very clear as compared to xvid

is the program located at here?
http://devspywarefiles.prevx.com/RRIDGI ... Z.EXE.html

couldn't find it on divx.com though :unsure:

hobz

Post by hobz » Jun 10th, '07, 05:01

ok, i just found an AVI-MUX, just wondering would it be playable on a DivX standalone player
http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jun 10th, '07, 05:13

hobz wrote:
itsukiD wrote:
how huge is the filesize?

cool. u are able to turn the subs on and off?
would it re-encode the video into divx?
cos i know divx encoding picture quality isn't very clear as compared to xvid

is the program located at here?
http://devspywarefiles.prevx.com/RRIDGI ... Z.EXE.html

couldn't find it on divx.com though :unsure:
the file size is a few megs more (roughly 5-10Mbs more)
subs can be turned off and on.
divxmuxwizz will not re-encode just integrate the subs or else it would've taken longer.
(remember it only took me 3 mins to integrate the subs and this was a 700Mb file)

i downloaded the program from this site:
http://labs.divx.com/files/support/setupDivXMuxWizz.exe

as far as that other program, I'm assuming that the end results would be a permenant subtitle.

good luck
D

hobz

Post by hobz » Jun 10th, '07, 09:59

what is the end file format?
is it .divx?
it seems halfway through, there's an error.

hobz

Post by hobz » Jun 10th, '07, 10:55

woot! i've got my answer. *.divx container format works well.
allows one to turn on and off the subs
I used AviSub to mux the subs and video into the *.divx container format.

the cons:
overscan problems - some parts of the video gets snipped off.

hobz

Post by hobz » Jun 12th, '07, 03:22

itsukiD, how do u prevent the sides from being cut-off? what's ur avi resolution?

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jun 12th, '07, 04:04

hobz wrote:itsukiD, how do u prevent the sides from being cut-off? what's ur avi resolution?
on divxmuxwizz, there are no options available to change any of the settings :lol and i believe the resolution is the original, 624 x 352.

good luck
d

t.k

Post by t.k » Oct 24th, '07, 04:10

ok, here's my problem. i have a Philip DVP642 DVD player, when i hardsubbed my .avi file and burned it on to a regular cd. i tried watching the cd and the DVD player wouldn't play it. whats the problem there?

kpv

Post by kpv » Oct 24th, '07, 04:35

t.k wrote:ok, here's my problem. i have a Philip DVP642 DVD player, when i hardsubbed my .avi file and burned it on to a regular cd. i tried watching the cd and the DVD player wouldn't play it. whats the problem there?

i've got the same model dvd player too... sometimes it takes a long time to load certain avi's that i burn.... like 5 mins...

jewelchan

Post by jewelchan » Oct 24th, '07, 04:56

t.k wrote:ok, here's my problem. i have a Philip DVP642 DVD player, when i hardsubbed my .avi file and burned it on to a regular cd. i tried watching the cd and the DVD player wouldn't play it. whats the problem there?
Did you burn it as Xvid or Divx? If so, it should work and you can just burn it as Data CD and watch. If it's in other formats (x264, etc.) then it probably won't work on this player.

rxvien

Post by rxvien » Oct 24th, '07, 05:03

I have a Philips Divx Player as well and you can just burn it onto a DVD disc as Data. Works great on my player, plus, you can hold up to about 6 movies on 1 DVD disc.. and if there's a .srt file, throw that in as well and you'll have the option of watching w/subs or not.

t.k

Post by t.k » Oct 24th, '07, 05:06

Did you burn it as Xvid or Divx? If so, it should work and you can just burn it as Data CD and watch. If it's in other formats (x264, etc.) then it probably won't work on this player.
no i didnt burn it as Xvid or Divx. i just burned it as a .avi. know any good converter? and how do i change the font for the sub, so it'll be the font i want in the video?

jewelchan

Post by jewelchan » Oct 24th, '07, 05:50

t.k wrote:
no i didnt burn it as Xvid or Divx. i just burned it as a .avi. know any good converter? and how do i change the font for the sub, so it'll be the font i want in the video?
I usually use VirtualDub (free program).
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub
There are a lot of guides down the page so you can try ones that you like. ^_^

You may have to download Divx and Xvid codec before trying the guides though. Just Google it, or try "k-lite codec pack"
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_L ... c_Pack.htm

t.k

Post by t.k » Oct 25th, '07, 05:42

i was able to hardsubb my .avi and converted it to divx. using DivxMuxWizz. i played it in my dvd player. it worked and all but how come on the bottom of the picture, its messed up?