Blue Screen Of Death on my laptop!!!!

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
SunStar

Blue Screen Of Death on my laptop!!!!

Post by SunStar » Apr 23rd, '07, 01:58

I need help to fix this Blue Screen of Death on my labtop....i shut it down earlier and i just started it a while go to use it, but the BSOD appears and i tried following all the directions on the blue screen to restart it or trying to run CHKDSK /F, BUT!!!!!... i can't even get into my command prompt to run CHKDSK /F.... i don't have the recovery discs either....

PLEASE PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RICH MAN POOR WOMAN...please have a second season for those of us who cannot get enough of Hyuga Toru & Natsui Makoto!!

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Apr 23rd, '07, 02:23

I have a version of this blue screen of death too. Someone told me that my harddisks were failing. I have a hardtime watching stuff in my dvd drive too. Anyways, I don't know how to use the recovery discs! Anyways, SunStar, try calling your laptop manufacturer and ask them for the recovery disks.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 24th, '07, 00:34

yes, i started getting the BSOD on my desktop, and someone told me it was my hard drive failing. i didn't believe them at first, but they were right. i'm not sure about a laptop, but if you have a computer-savvy friend, they may be able to recover some of the data from your drive. hope you backed up most of it.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

raider73

Post by raider73 » Apr 25th, '07, 06:20

First, find out what brand hard drive you have and go to that company's website. Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital---they all have diagnostic programs for their disks. If drive is starting to fail, replace the drive and buy an external case or one of these adapters to back up any data that you want to keep from the old drive:

These are great for moving data from an old 2.5" laptop drive or a 3.5" desktop drive to a new computer.

Edit: Don't ever use the recovery discs if you want to keep the data on the old hard drive. All the recovery discs does is basically format your computer and reinstall the whole image of the hard drive back on it again destroying all the old data.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Apr 27th, '07, 01:17

Could be a recent driver that you installed. If you haven't already, try booting in safe mode, or safe mode with only the command prompt.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 27th, '07, 01:30

You know what? Just take it to a professional. Any decent service center has all the equipment and tools to save your data, diagnose the condition of the hardware (hard disk, RAM, etc.) and re-install the OS if necessary. Fixing BSOD errors is not a simple thing to fix by yourself.

I would NOT nickel/dime this. If money is a factor, I would suggest biting the bullet and lose the data, and use the recovery media. But again, if you do not want to lose data, you need additional tools and equipment, such as a 2.5 IDE-to-USB kit to mount the drive on another computer, Disk Commander, etc. A professional would have all of that already. Even if by chance you are able to fix the BSOD error, the PC will STILL be considered unstable.

--- groink

agiri

Post by agiri » May 3rd, '07, 21:01

this error usually comes when you install a new programs and certain drivers didn't integrate into your computer properly.

the first option would be to restart your computer in safe mode and then uninstall any recently downloaded program(s).

then restart your computer and see if the problem's solved.

if your problem continues then your next option would be a system restore assuming you've set a system restore point before. even if you haven't, many programs set up restore points before installing the program into your computer, so you may be in luck.

either way, both steps must be executed in safe mode.

if the problem still persists, i say, call your comp tech support and pray you get america. :\