[HowTo] Making a Screen Capture (Screenshots of a Video)

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[HowTo] Making a Screen Capture (Screenshots of a Video)

Post by jholic » May 24th, '04, 21:44

i'm trying to take an image snapshot of my favorite video files (avi, mpg, ogm) so that i can make a cd cover for myself. (don't worry, i have no intention of selling it or anything.)

i thought i could just do a PRINTSCREEN (windows screen capture / screen shot) and paste. but nope, after reading what i could find in google, i found out that dvd or video files cannot be captured by the printscreen function. just the black box comes up.

could anyone assist me? i tried checking on this site, and a search on google only came up with a LOT of screen capture programs. do i need a program? or is it possible to do a screen capture if i change a setting?

thanks in advance....
Last edited by jholic on Sep 30th, '06, 02:30, edited 2 times in total.

bludawn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by bludawn » May 24th, '04, 21:56

u can use print screen if u turn off video acceleration in wmp...

(tools > options > performance > video acceleration - none)

Last edited by bludawn on May 24th, '04, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

vibius

Re: Screen capture of a video file

Post by vibius » May 24th, '04, 21:56

jholic wrote:just the black box comes up.
I don't know anything about Windows ... but I think I saw someone answer this question before either here or at jdorama.com ... and I believe the answer had to do with turning off video hardware acceleration. Once you are done with the capture, you can turn it back on.

Maybe google can give more details.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » May 24th, '04, 22:08

I used to do that whole windows media player thing but it doesn't work everytime. What you need to do is get BS player if you don't already have it. Then, press P, to cap the original picture or shift+p to capture the screen size you see. Or just right click on bs player and go to options>capture frame and you can do it from there. Easy right? :D

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » May 24th, '04, 23:15

eh I just load the video up in VirtualDubMod and use its frame copy feature.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 25th, '04, 20:44

yee-haw! bludawn, thanks for the excellent write-up. :w00t: i read something about the video acceleration, but i couldn't find anywhere that said you could turn it off. i tried it and it worked.

vibius/Kai Lien: thanks for your input as well. appreciate the help.

Ruroshin: i also tried virtualdub, and it worked. question: should i use 'copy SOURCE file to clipboard' or 'copy OUTPUT file to clipboard'. i tried both, and it kinda looked the same to me. :|

thanks to you guys, i can start designing some cd covers. :D the difficulty was really about those older series that you can't find images or photos of.

DTMUniversal

Post by DTMUniversal » May 25th, '04, 21:30

all you gotta do is turn off video acceleration on the settings in WMP. then print screen all you want!
the legend lives on...

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » May 26th, '04, 00:47

jholic wrote: Ruroshin: i also tried virtualdub, and it worked. question: should i use 'copy SOURCE file to clipboard' or 'copy OUTPUT file to clipboard'. i tried both, and it kinda looked the same to me. :|
Just use SOURCE unless you've modified the video with a filter then use OUTPUT.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 26th, '04, 00:55

thanks, Ruroshin! :)

linco

Post by linco » May 26th, '04, 01:35

where can u get virtualdub?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 26th, '04, 17:58

linco wrote:where can u get virtualdub?
geez! linco, you could've at least just typed 'virtualdub' into google?

www.virtualdub.org

it's freeware, as far as i know

seaweb

Screen captures

Post by seaweb » Oct 6th, '04, 17:25

Ha! Screen captures!

Well, I can't seem to do it. :(

I'm on a PC, and no mater what player I use (WMP, RP, DivX, VLC...) I can't simply pause the picture, hit *control-print screen* and drop the image into Photoshop...why not?

So, how do YOU do it?
dance, dance, dance

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by amrayu » Oct 6th, '04, 17:33

what are you trying to screen capture?
AVI files? Mpeg files??

download BS Player it will let you do screen captures of almost anything.
all you do is press "P", and an automatically named screen capture will be
in the programs/webteh/Bsplayer folder (this is the default location when you install BSplayer).
If you get a black screen, you have to turn off something outlay in the Options>Video section. (not at my home pc, so i gotta double check).

good luck!
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Oct 6th, '04, 20:32

You cannot make screen shots (or window shot) of these players because they use the overlay display technique. Either load the video into a tool which doesn't use overlay (e.g. VirtualDub) or use the screenshot feature that some players offer (e.g. Media Player Classic or BSPlayer). I use VirtualDub because the feature in MPC didn't worked for me last time.

thanks for the hint with BSPlayer. btw, this is what i get with it. :-(
Attachments
bscap000.jpg
BSPlayer screen capture
bscap000.jpg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 14313 times

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 6th, '04, 23:24

if you search this section for "screen capture", you'll find my thread that i posted before.

the solution for my problem was simple. in your player, you need to turn OFF video acceleration. in wmp, i believe you go to options/performance, and turn video acc to none. then, just do a simple windows capture.

that should do it.

(the junk thing is that the capture will not be as great as if you had vid acc turned on. :cry: )

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Oct 7th, '04, 03:35

here's the mentioned thread which describes where to turn off the video acceleration:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4560
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

takkichi

Can someone tell me a good program to take screenshots

Post by takkichi » Apr 12th, '05, 06:28

Can anyone help me. I am trying to find a program that can take screenshots. I know there is a button on my keyboard that says "Print Screen" but it only takes pictures of my desktop or whats on it. It won't take a screenshot when I'm playing windows media.

For example, I want to take screenshots of the video it's self while it's playing. It came out black and all I got was the picture of the frame of Windows Media player.

I did a google search and there were a few but I would prefer a free one without spyware attached to it. Of if I have to purchase one a good recommendation would be appreciated. What do you all use to take your screenshots?

Thanks.

crazylazy_chief

Post by crazylazy_chief » Apr 12th, '05, 06:42

BS Player works. :-)

You can get it at http://www.bsplayer.org

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » Apr 12th, '05, 09:01

In Windows Media Player, pause at the desired scene.
Press "Ctrl i" (that's i for ink), a "save as" window should pop up, you should be able to save your captured pic as a .jpg

cheerio.
Last edited by animetama on Apr 12th, '05, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
    Q12. The first thing you saw when you woke up in the morning?
    YC: Jaejoong... JJ: Yoochun...
    <33333

takkichi

Post by takkichi » Apr 12th, '05, 09:37

animetama and crazylady_chief thank you so much!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 12th, '05, 23:32

i had posted this question ages ago, and the answer was that i had 'video acceleration' turned on. go into your preferences and turn it off.

but, 'tama, you are so knowledgeable!! i never knew about that ctrl+i!! where were you when I was trying to design dvd covers? :P

anyways, merged with other topic.....
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

takkichi

Post by takkichi » Apr 13th, '05, 06:47

animetama----- I tried what you said and it works. Thanks again. Also thanks jholic.... I didn't know there was a topic started on this before.

Willx24601

Movie Maker?

Post by Willx24601 » Apr 13th, '05, 07:17

takkichi wrote:animetama----- I tried what you said and it works. Thanks again. Also thanks jholic.... I didn't know there was a topic started on this before.
have you guys just tried importing the video (im not to sure about ogm) on movie maker? it should work with mpg, and avi. then just make a capture on there... i always do that with the avatars i make.

eki

how to capture a picture from a video file?

Post by eki » May 16th, '05, 16:30

i used to use windows movie maker, somehow something changed and now it's asking for a codec but doesn't say which codec. i've tried using number of programs but they all capture a black square instead of the picture paused on the player. plz help if you know how to make captures ... thank you

alstar83

Post by alstar83 » May 16th, '05, 16:34

you can try BSplayer, go to Options\caputer frame
I think the shortcut is pressing <P> or <Ctrl + P>

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » May 16th, '05, 17:01

On Window Media Player, you just pause the scene you want and hit <ctrl + i> (control and I) and save to the location of your choice.
D-Addicts is like a library: Most of the resources are there, you just have to search around!

My 1000th post: How to be a Good Fansubber :-)

rossier

Post by rossier » May 16th, '05, 17:07

Interesting... try using power dvd player... however the easiest process without using any software is just hit the print screen button on your keyboard then open a new file in painter or adobe and paste... there! you get your picture and ready to be edited.... hohoho.... however this would be troublesome if you wanted to capture many pictures since you have to repeat the proces again and again....

dznutz

Re: how to capture a picture from a video file?

Post by dznutz » May 16th, '05, 17:55

eki wrote:i used to use windows movie maker, somehow something changed and now it's asking for a codec but doesn't say which codec. i've tried using number of programs but they all capture a black square instead of the picture paused on the player. plz help if you know how to make captures ... thank you
how about hitting print screen? this is the poor man's method.

i too have problems with windows movie maker because i think you have to upgrade it for it to recognize the codecs in the computer. but an alternative program to use is virtual dub if the file is in avi format although it works for all formats. for wmv/asf files use "asf tools." i think that's the name. the one i have allows you to edit, cut, add, fix wmv/asf files.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: how to capture a picture from a video file?

Post by jholic » May 21st, '05, 12:20

eki wrote:i used to use windows movie maker, somehow something changed and now it's asking for a codec but doesn't say which codec. i've tried using number of programs but they all capture a black square instead of the picture paused on the player. plz help if you know how to make captures ... thank you
eki, looks like you've got several options. the reason you're getting the blk screen is because you have 'video acceleration' turned on. you need to turn this off (in options) if you want to do a regular screen cap.

you can find out more info in this thread:

Tekuza

Post by Tekuza » May 21st, '05, 12:43

also if you have Power DVD just use the capture toolbar button :D
ImageImage

mmitsjojo

help please

Post by mmitsjojo » May 28th, '05, 21:03

can anyone tell me how to take a screen caption, i use realplayer to try to take screen captions i pause the video and i press print screen, then i paste it into paint but then when i paste it on . . . . it comes out as a black screen? so i was wondering if anyone can tell me how i can fix that problem or is there any program i can use to do this? >;\

groink

Post by groink » May 28th, '05, 21:35

There are a few solutions to this. I use BSPlayer for all of my screen captions. Most DVD software-based players like WinDVD also do screen captures.

The technical explanation to the black screen effect is that, under Microsoft Windows (and also Mac OS X. I'm not sure about how the Linux GUIs do it), motion video is actually a video overlay. An overlay, for this explanation, is basically a layer of video separate from the rest of the operating system. What most video players do is project a black box within the player's window (the black color is the "color picker"). Windows will use the video codec to read the video file, and then transfer the result to the video card's high-speed memory. From there, the video hardware will then take the high-speed memory and blend it in with the rest of the video that comes from Windows (stored in system memory). The video hardware knows the exact x/y coordinates of the black box, also reported by the video codec, and then blend the the motion video with that section of the Windows video. And then, this blend of Windows video and motion video is sent out of the video card and onto your display. And that's how you see video in Windows! Video overlaying is also used in your local news weather report, except they usually use either a green or blue background for the overlay.

The purpose of video overlaying is to accelerate the rest of the Windows environment (menus, desktop pattern re-draws, browser windows, etc.) Without video overlaying and video hardware acceleration, the motion video will be just part of the Windows environment, slowing things when the video is sent through the video card to your display. For example, if video overlaying was not in use, even a slight change in the Windows desktop (moving of an icon, a message popping up in your IM utility, etc.) would affect the video playing performance.

The Windows PrintScreen function (alt, ctrl, etc.) captures only the contents of the Windows video memory, stored in your PC's system memory. In order to capture the video overlay, the capture utility must know how to tap into the video codec to obtain the frame shot. Windows PrintScreen doesn't know how to do that.

A work-around, although I highly recommend you do not do, is to disable hardware video acceleration and instead allow the Windows OS to dump everything, including motion video, into system memory. To do this under Windows XP:

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Display

In the Display properties, click the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button. In the window that pops up next, click the Troubleshoot tab, and then move the Hardware acceleration lever to the "None" position. Click OK on all the windows to close them and save the change. Once hardware acceleration is disabled, a screenshot using alt-PrintScreen will work.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » May 28th, '05, 23:14

groink wrote:
Start | Settings | Control Panel | Display

In the Display properties, click the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button. In the window that pops up next, click the Troubleshoot tab, and then move the Hardware acceleration lever to the "None" position. Click OK on all the windows to close them and save the change. Once hardware acceleration is disabled, a screenshot using alt-PrintScreen will work.

--- groink
hmm thanks, but is there anyway else i can take screen captions since yu say yu highly do not recommend this =x

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 28th, '05, 23:17

^Uh, I wouldn't think groink would tell you how to do something he didn't recommend unless there was a way he did recommend o__o
Nothing can ruin a career faster than an office party.

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » May 28th, '05, 23:26

neonkinpatsu wrote:^Uh, I wouldn't think groink would tell you how to do something he didn't recommend unless there was a way he did recommend o__o
he said up in the post that he high does not recommend this, i`ll quote it lols
A work-around, although I highly recommend you do not do, is to disable hardware video acceleration and instead allow the Windows OS to dump everything, including motion video, into system memory. To do this under Windows XP:

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 28th, '05, 23:49

mmitsjojo wrote:
neonkinpatsu wrote:^Uh, I wouldn't think groink would tell you how to do something he didn't recommend unless there was a way he did recommend o__o
he said up in the post that he high does not recommend this, i`ll quote it lols
He gave you a way he highly recommended not to. I understand that. What I was referring to was: Wouldn't it make sense that if he had a safer way that he would have TOLD you already before giving you something he didn't think was safe?
Nothing can ruin a career faster than an office party.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » May 29th, '05, 00:02

Yea... Neo is right.... Groink's recommendation is in the first paragraph. Try reading it again.
Join the VSS. Always on the lookout for good seeders.

P-Star

Post by P-Star » May 29th, '05, 00:09

download the newest MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC then u should be able to take screens. is very easy with MPC

here a link if u wish:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=84358
NEED HELP please stay seed for XIAN JIAN / Chinese Paladin

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » May 29th, '05, 01:17

P-Star wrote:download the newest MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC then u should be able to take screens. is very easy with MPC

here a link if u wish:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=84358
does this work for rmvb files?

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » May 29th, '05, 01:18

LittleGreenGrasshopper wrote:Yea... Neo is right.... Groink's recommendation is in the first paragraph. Try reading it again.
are you talking about the bspPlayer thing? because if you are, do you have a link of where to download it because im not sure what bspPLayer is . .. . .

okumasama

Post by okumasama » May 29th, '05, 01:29

Just get VirtualDub, open the file there and you can get a screenshot with printsreen since it doesn't use overlay.

Carn

Post by Carn » May 29th, '05, 01:45

P-Star is right, Media Player Classic can play RMVB files!

As for BSPlayer, that's another player (dunno if it plays RMVB, but it's a very good player, and it's very easy to take screenshots--you just press the letter 'p').

http://www.bsplayer.org/

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » May 29th, '05, 01:51

Hmmm, okay, time to endorse jholic's newly designed and very comprehensive FAQ. Check this out, specifically, Q3. What video player do I need? Which one should I use? What's the most popular one?.

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » May 29th, '05, 04:32

i tried media player classic, it doesnt work >;[ its still black screenshots? unless im doing it wrong because i was pressing print screen ;x and bsplayer didnt work for me.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » May 29th, '05, 04:56

You know what... I just realized that another thread already exist for this topic. Try reading it. If you're using WMP, there's a trick to do a frame capture. The trick is mentioned in that thread.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 29th, '05, 05:30

LittleGreenGrasshopper wrote:You know what... I just realized that another thread already exist for this topic. Try reading it. If you're using WMP, there's a trick to do a frame capture. The trick is mentioned in that thread.
and there was another one as well. merged all three threads for future reference:

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » May 29th, '05, 06:57

i used the virualdub thingy and it doesnt work for rmvb/rm files >;\

Carn

Post by Carn » May 29th, '05, 07:29

mmitsjojo: in Media Player Classic, pause the video and go to File => Save Image. =)

You can also set a keyboard shortcut for this if you wish to. =)

groink

Post by groink » May 29th, '05, 11:20

Carn wrote:mmitsjojo: in Media Player Classic, pause the video and go to File => Save Image. =)

You can also set a keyboard shortcut for this if you wish to. =)
using Carn's instructions, I tried it just now with a sample RMVB file, and the screen capture worked! I'm not positive if MPC works with RMVB by itself. I loaded RealAlternative before trying MPC.

--- groink

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » May 29th, '05, 15:22

oh yes it works ! THANKS SO MUCH GUYS =)

sakuaki

screen capture / screenshot that includes soft subs?

Post by sakuaki » Aug 9th, '05, 08:07

Hello,

I did a search of the forum, but I couldn't find an answer to my question:

How do you capture the screen so that it includes the soft subs? I've tried capturing a drama with srt soft subs using Media Player Classic and BSPlayer, but both times I get a screenshot without subtitles.

If I have to convert hard subs first, which method is best?

Thanks!

Akiramike
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Aug 9th, '05, 15:32

I just tested on using bsplayer to capture a shot from Engine with srt subs and had no problems. The only change I remember doing to bsplayers default settings is to turn off overlays. Perhaps you can try that.

If it doesn't work, try VLC player.

Good luck.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Aug 9th, '05, 16:23

For Media Player Classic, did you use the File->Save Image option? I just tried that on a avi with soft subs and it works fine (the resulting file is a bitmap). What program are you using to display the soft subs (and what format is the soft subs)? I tried it with .srt files and as mentioned, the capture includes the subtitles.

Note: I'm using MPC version 6.4.8.4

Good luck.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Aug 10th, '05, 05:55

Why? Are you trying to make some screenshots for dramas with eng subs to post in ebay?
...kidding...kidding :P

sakuaki

Post by sakuaki » Aug 10th, '05, 08:38

Hi again,

Akiramike and LittleGreenGrasshopper. Thanks for your help.

BS Player works now. For those that have the same problem, go to Preferences (Ctrl P) -> Subtitles Menu. Make sure "Draw subtitles to Overlay surface" is checked. That's it!

hobz

Post by hobz » Oct 15th, '05, 03:24

hello. how do u do screen capture using VLC player?

squarepegs

Post by squarepegs » Jan 5th, '06, 17:07

I tried Window Player Classic. It can screencaps but it get error and can't save the image sometimes. :-(

I tried BS player but the picture became purple colour. :|

I tried Window media player. At first, It can capture but I don't know why it capture 2 pictures only and it never pop out again (when pressing ctrl i) and the fast forward button is disable too.

I tried PowerDVD but it can't capture avi file.

I tried Virtualdub. I click, "save image sequence". This player can screencap every "moment" of the file but I have no idea why it screencaps too many and end up 3000 images in my folder. :pale:

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jan 5th, '06, 23:49

squarepegs wrote:I tried Window Player Classic. It can screencaps but it get error and can't save the image sometimes. :-(

I tried BS player but the picture became purple colour. :|

I tried Window media player. At first, It can capture but I don't know why it capture 2 pictures only and it never pop out again (when pressing ctrl i) and the fast forward button is disable too.
You have to turn off the video accelleration first. Then the capturing should work. See the previous posts for detailed description.
squarepegs wrote:I tried PowerDVD but it can't capture avi file.
Forget that. :wink:
squarepegs wrote:I tried Virtualdub. I click, "save image sequence". This player can screencap every "moment" of the file but I have no idea why it screencaps too many and end up 3000 images in my folder. :pale:
You have to select a range first to tell VirtualDub which frames you want to save as images. If you don't limit it to a range you will save the whole video as image sequence. See VirtualDub procedures for help on how to select a range.
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

eiman

Question about making screenshots

Post by eiman » Oct 29th, '06, 16:50

Hello!
I use Image Grabber to make video screenshots because it's so simple and I like how it puts a few screens on the same picture. Example:

[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/3300/exmo9.th.jpg[/img]

But I have a problem, this doesn't support ram, asf and mov formats. Does anybody know a program that supports them and the final result is similar to the one obtained with Image Grabber?

It'd be a great help ^^
Thanks!

abcd99

Post by abcd99 » Oct 29th, '06, 17:07

If you use Media Player Classic, you can select: File --> Save Image (or Save Thumbnail).

If you use Windows Media Player, press Ctrl+I.

HTH

eiman

Post by eiman » Oct 29th, '06, 19:51

Thanks so much!! ^^

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Nov 26th, '06, 05:22

Softsubs should show up on the caps. Anyways, I was checking out CCC and came upon something very interesting about screencapping with MPC. Because I could do it before but it stopped working when I changed some settings. Click the link for more info: http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index. ... er_Classic

mscoolicemui

hi

Post by mscoolicemui » Dec 15th, '06, 15:54

the ctrl-i did not work for me for WMP, no save as screen pop up why?? :cry:

howzitboy

Post by howzitboy » Dec 22nd, '06, 06:30

to take screen shots in vlc: press ctl-alt-s at same time and it saves a shot. then under settings-> preferences click on video and tell it where u want your screenshots to be. tadaa. u can take as many as u want cuz it saves em with different names.

if u wanna be old school and use print screen button, the combo u press is atl-print screen, that will take a shot of the program that u have on top. then just open up you windows paint program and just go edit-> paste and u done.

another easy way is get a program called grabby, once its running it will take a screenshot everytime u hit print screen button. u can change the button to anything u wanna use like space bar to be quicker. its another free program.

glace

Post by glace » Jan 4th, '07, 15:02

Here's a picture for VLC
It's in french but you know where is it now,(capture d'ecran mean screen capture)

And if anyone interested for screen capture there a a small program. Take the portable one, it's an executable file, don't need to install.
http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
Attachments
2007-01-04_155143.jpg
2007-01-04_155143.jpg (26.92 KiB) Viewed 6164 times

endoftime

A program to screencap dramas?

Post by endoftime » Mar 11th, '07, 03:25

I was wondering if there is a program to screencap dramas. I can't do the standard Print screen thing because it saves as a black screen.

What programs are you having success with? I see many banners and icons around here that have been capped, so I know that there must be something that can snag a video image.

Thank you so much for any help! :wub:
And will we find our destination
Within a time of resignation
A night of poetry and motion
At 69, until the end of time
*Sarah Brightman*

StarCrystal

Post by StarCrystal » Mar 11th, '07, 03:33

Gom Player can do screencaps.

endoftime

Post by endoftime » Mar 11th, '07, 07:02

Thanks for moving my post, moderator! I assumed that it was here, but I couldn't find it when searching. I kept getting stuff that wasn't relevant.

Thanks for all of the tips, everone!<3
And will we find our destination
Within a time of resignation
A night of poetry and motion
At 69, until the end of time
*Sarah Brightman*

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 12th, '07, 02:56

you may have 'video acceleration' turned on. try the tip 'animetama' suggested in this thread:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... htm#140321

loveless_soul

Screenshots with Media Player Classic

Post by loveless_soul » Jan 7th, '08, 04:13

Okay so I wanted to take screenshots from MPC like the pic below and someone told me that just pause it and then do file -> save thumbsnails... and it would work but it doesn't work for me.
Every time I try an error message would come up.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or is there something wrong with MPC?
Kim Bum<3
Being here for almost a decade, it is sad for me to see the torrent section goes.
I guess sometimes good things must come to an end :(
- May 2015

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jan 7th, '08, 04:37

View --> Options --> Playback --> Output --> SELECT "Old Renderer" or VMR

Reopen video, and you will be able to save. GL

loveless_soul

Post by loveless_soul » Jan 7th, '08, 05:10

Yay! It works now ^__^ thanks! Can I ask what's the difference between Old Renderer and VMR? And there's a lot of VMR..?
Also is there a way that you can choose which pic for that certain screenshots? And if you only want to take part of the video and not the whole thing?
Kim Bum<3
Being here for almost a decade, it is sad for me to see the torrent section goes.
- May 2015

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jan 7th, '08, 15:40

if you want to see subtitle properly, you gotta change that back to original setting later. What changing that setting does is letting "What" handle the video picture. If it goes right through the Overlay Mixer, it means it's sending video directly to MPC, which means you can't take screenshot. Everything else, video makes a "quickstop", so you can take the screenshot when you want/need it. That's all there's to it.

To take proper screenshot, after pausing the video, use left or right arrow key (on your keyboard) to move the frame/imageset. It'll slowly move. Then take the shot you want. <3

If you are old-fashioned Print Screen users, do the following (this is for WMP users or people who wants to take video shot using other players that doesn't have Integrated Screenshot Taker):
Right click the Desktop, then click Properties
when you get Display Properties popup, click Settings tab.
Click Advanced button near "OK" "Cancel" "Apply" buttons
find Troubleshoot tab, and turn Hardware acceleration to "None".
Restart/Stop and replay the video.

you should now be able to capture image using Print Screen.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 8th, '08, 02:32

merging with existing topic....

loveless_soul

Post by loveless_soul » Jan 8th, '08, 03:04

^ sorry jholic, I didn't see this topic >.< I'll look harder next time =P
Hmm.. just wondering but if you try to take the screenshots with MPC like I wanted but if it's an hour video then wouldn't the picture be really big and long...?
Kim Bum<3
- May 2015