Divx DVD player and Subtitle question

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
sabriyahm

Divx DVD player and Subtitle question

Post by sabriyahm » Jan 19th, '07, 01:43

Here's my question and I will try to be as specific as possible. I have a Divx DVD player (Philips DVP-5960) which plays avi files. I don't need to convert them i just burn them on a DVD disc as data with the .srt file and they play on my TV without any quality loss of hardsubbing and reencoding them. Here's my problem. My DVD player doesn't play subtitles as well as a computer. Most of the time they are fine but they frequently go by too fast or the words get cut off along the edges. If I played the same file on my computer the time and display is fine so I know it's nothing wrong with the soft sub themselves. Is there some version of subtitle files that work better with a DVD player. I have ony ever worked with .srt files even when reencoding. These are all soft subbed files I am playing. And I already know of course that I can reencode and hardsub everything but it kinda defeats the purpose of buying a Divx DVD player and i hate the quality loss since i have a big TV.

kapneemo

Post by kapneemo » Jan 19th, '07, 02:00

I have this same model so I know what you're talking about. Unlike the previous model (dvp642) the 5960 does not word wrap. What I've been doing is rerun the srt files through a subtitle editor called SubMagic to break long subs into 2 lines automatically. Unfortunately I have not found an automated solution for mistiming of the subs.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Jan 19th, '07, 05:21

kapneemo wrote:I have this same model so I know what you're talking about. Unlike the previous model (dvp642) the 5960 does not word wrap. What I've been doing is rerun the srt files through a subtitle editor called SubMagic to break long subs into 2 lines automatically. Unfortunately I have not found an automated solution for mistiming of the subs.
Do you still save them as .srt files. What exactly do you do.

raider73

Post by raider73 » Jan 19th, '07, 07:54

did you guys update your firmware for this player. there was an update from philips for the divx subtitle problem. search the web for hacked firmware. people hack it to display longer filenames and other skins. I haven't tried though since I'm thinking of returning my player since it doesn't play 720p divx yet.

kapneemo

Post by kapneemo » Jan 19th, '07, 22:40

Select "Fix Errors" tab in SubMagic and check the "Split too long subtitles" option.

Select "File Operations" tab and "Open" to read in your existing srt. Select "Fix Errors" tab and select "Fix Now". SubMagic will fix the entire srt file based on the parameters you've checked off on this tab.
To save the existing srt file, select "File Operations" tab and select "Save". You can either overwrite your existing srt file or save it as new srt file.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Jan 24th, '07, 04:34

I have the latest firmeware. that is not the problem