Problem with virtual dub + ssa help needed

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Problem with virtual dub + ssa help needed

Post by TNF » Aug 22nd, '06, 21:49

Big encoding problem!!

Virtualdub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite th eaudio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 33290 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, recompress the *entire* audio stream to a WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 158.7 +- 36.3 kbps).

When I tried to open an AVI file in virtual dub I got this pop up message. I tried encoding it as usual with an SSA file, but the audio did not match the video. Does anyone know what the directions mean?

Also this is kinda off topic but in case anyone knows how to do this:
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:08:43.05,0:08:45.82,s2s_def_sub_set,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,{\an8}{\3c&H1E1E1E&}{\1c&H265EDF&}{\fs32}TNFansubs Presents
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:08:43.05,0:08:45.82,s2s_def_sub_set,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,{\bord3}{\3c&H1E1E1E&}{\1c&H265EDF&}{\an6}{\fs30}\NBIG MONEY!
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:08:43.05,0:08:45.82,s2s_def_sub_set,,0000,0000,0000,!Effect,{\3c&H1E1E1E&}{\1c&H265EDF&}Bringing Tomoya Nagase's work to all Fans!!!

that code wouldn't show up on the subtitler in virtual dub the way I want it. Can someone help me change it to this format?

(something like this)

Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
Style: s2s_def_sub_set,Britannic Bold,27,&HFFFFFF,&HFFFFFF,&HFFFFFF,&H267166,0,0,1,2,0,2,1,1,16,0,0

thanks in advance!
Watching: IWGP, My Boss My Hero, Hakusen Nagashi, Tiger & Dragon, Over the Rainbow

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Aug 23rd, '06, 01:58

bump
Watching: IWGP, My Boss My Hero, Hakusen Nagashi, Tiger & Dragon, Over the Rainbow

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Aug 23rd, '06, 02:04

First, try telling vdub to NOT rewrite the header. That doesn't work, rip the audio from the video, recompress it to a constant bitrate, reopen the vid in vdub, go to the streams menu, disable the existing audio stream, add the recompressed one. voila! synched audio.

Not very experienced with .ssa files, but which subtitle filter are you using to encode? Vobsub or textsub?
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

mt877

Post by mt877 » Aug 23rd, '06, 03:12

Can't help with the ssa stuff, but you might want to checkout VirtualDub MP3 Freeze. VDub MP3 Freeze supports VBR mp3 audio.
That should put an end to your audio sync problems.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Aug 23rd, '06, 03:44

@antok: I'm using vobsub. It doesn't work for all ssa codes. Is textsub better?
@mt877 I'll try using VD mp3 freeze.

thanks!

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Aug 25th, '06, 17:35

problem, I can't find the streams menu to disable the existing audio.

where is it exactly? thanks

mt877

Post by mt877 » Aug 25th, '06, 23:40

Menu: Audio -> No audio

Ok, not sure why you want to get rid of the audio, but if you're going to use the same audio unchanged (so you don't lose sync),
Audio -> AVI audio and Direct stream copy should be selected.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Aug 27th, '06, 03:07

yes! I was able to open the video using vd mp3 freeze. But my ssa codes still aren't showing up right on the video. can someone send me the textsub filter vdf file?

pappi

Post by pappi » Aug 27th, '06, 14:03

You don't use textsub filter for .ssa subs, use subtitler filter, maybe you already have it
in one of your vdub plugins folder, just copy and paste to working vdub plugins.
If you don't have it then goto http://www.virtualdub.org/virtualdub_filters you will find it.

Lepra

Post by Lepra » Aug 27th, '06, 14:54

First of all, never use vbr (variable bitrate) mp3 audio in your videos.

Also, if you want to get the ssa subs working properly, try installing the latest Avisynth and the textsub plugin. It's a little harder to use than just virtualdub, but the result is better. You can get a lot of help about using avisynth in doom9.org forums. :) Btw, .ass is better format than ssa. They're almost the same, but .ass supports some things ssa doesn't. Also, virtualdubmod is a little easier to use with audio than basic virtualdub imo. :)

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you can't figure out some thing in avisynth.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Aug 27th, '06, 15:09

Lepra wrote:First of all, never use vbr (variable bitrate) mp3 audio in your videos.

Also, if you want to get the ssa subs working properly, try installing the latest Avisynth and the textsub plugin. It's a little harder to use than just virtualdub, but the result is better. You can get a lot of help about using avisynth in doom9.org forums. :) Btw, .ass is better format than ssa. They're almost the same, but .ass supports some things ssa doesn't. Also, virtualdubmod is a little easier to use with audio than basic virtualdub imo. :)

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you can't figure out some thing in avisynth.
VBR is fine if the source came in VBR and yu dont want to deal with converting it.
.ass IS better than .ssa. SSA files are better off for "pretty" softsubbing. But it can never do the styles and movements that ASS can do. The angled and moving text you sometimes see in fansubs (usually in anime) are done by ASS. Using stuff like that would require some SLIGHT reading into ASS coding. It's not hard for some people. But I've known others that find it impossible. Stick with yur SSA files unless yu REALLY want text that moves or is at odd angles.
ありません

Lepra

Post by Lepra » Aug 27th, '06, 15:29

Well, I must disagree a bit. You can use ass even without the special effects and it will work just like ssa. So why not use it? Basically, ssa is just the old version of the file format and ass is the new and improved. Karaoke and other cool effects arent that hard to make after you get the basic idea of it. :)

In any case, vbr mp3 audio is usually painful to deal with in virtualdub. You'll save a lot of your mental energy if you just use cbr.