RMVB and .srt media players

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
problemrazor

RMVB and .srt media players

Post by problemrazor » Aug 21st, '06, 22:24

I'm creating this forum to ask for websites to get media players and their codecs to play .rmvb and .srt files.

problemrazor

Post by problemrazor » Aug 21st, '06, 22:27

Can anyone list a good site for Media Player Classic or another good media player to play .rmvb and .srt files?

I would also like one nice compact program in which i can add the .srt files to the .avi's, so I can have one simple .avi to watch. That way I wouldn't need the .srt files anymore (basically make a hardsub).

Simplicity is the best. Because everyone gives very random comments that are complicated and require downloading codecs from many sites. Easy is best! :)
Thank you!

karen05

Post by karen05 » Aug 21st, '06, 22:28

download real alternativee media codec pack.

it comes with media player classic, and you can play rmvb files there and you can use any sub formats.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Rea ... native.htm

heres a site where you can get it.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Aug 21st, '06, 22:47

I've also never had any problems using Real Alternative to play RMVBs with softsubs, and would also recommend it. ^^ It's doinkloads better than the original RealPlayer.

problemrazor

Post by problemrazor » Aug 21st, '06, 22:49

THANK YOU! :):):) I've tried like three times to get a good website since I'm apparently not smart enough to find the right codecs and make things work :P

Do you know anything about making a hardsub by adding the .srt files to the .avi permenantely? So they can be played on a DVD or any media program supporting .avi's, cuz that would be fob-tastic :)

problemrazor

Post by problemrazor » Aug 21st, '06, 23:04

It's working! The .rmvb works! So happy! :):):):):)
Just wondering what this means: "Run the setup with the command-line parameter -MakeUnattended to create an unattended setup. A wizard called "Unattended Install Maker" will appear. Follow the instructions given in the wizard"

problemrazor

Post by problemrazor » Aug 21st, '06, 23:43

Also ater I load an .avi file it says:
"To load subtitles you have change the video renderer type and reopen the file.
-DirectShow: VMR7/VMR9 renderless or Haali's
-RealMedia: Special renderer for RealMedia, or open it through Direct Show
-Quicktime: DX7 or DX9 renderer for QuickTime
-ShockWave: n/a"
Do you know what this means? Or How I change/render the .avi? What does rendering it mean?

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Aug 22nd, '06, 00:27

doinkies never got that message with MPC about the command-line thing...

As for your second problem, are the Save the Last Dance for Me video and subs both in the same folder, and do they both have the same filename? If they are, the subs should load automatically when opening the .avi file in MPC...

karen05

Post by karen05 » Aug 22nd, '06, 01:14

to hardsub a file so i can put it in a dvd i convert the files using winavi video converter.

i have the registered one so they dont put those " winavi trial or something in the middle."

karen05

Post by karen05 » Aug 22nd, '06, 03:30

AND OH YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE FILE AND THE SUBS HAVE THE SAME NAME TO BE ABLE TO PLAY IT.

AND LOOK FOR VOBSUB. you need for the subtitles to work

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 23rd, '06, 03:30

problemrazor

Post by problemrazor » Aug 24th, '06, 00:12

It works! Thank you everyone for the Jinormous help with simple, easy, and effective instructions. I give this site's members two thumbs up......b <_> b

jonnyboi

Post by jonnyboi » Aug 24th, '06, 06:52

I'm able to play most of the rmvb files that i have but it won't play all of them. Does that mean i'm still missing codecs? Or is it the file itself?

a_my_me

Post by a_my_me » Aug 24th, '06, 07:22

jonnyboi wrote:I'm able to play most of the rmvb files that i have but it won't play all of them. Does that mean i'm still missing codecs? Or is it the file itself?
I think you still missed some codecs coz like my case, when I can use BS player without any codecs to play icefish's RMVB files, however when I want to play ydy's version of the same series (I like to dl both sometimes :roll ) there's no sound at all and I use Real Alternative codec to fix it and it works :lol

jonnyboi

Post by jonnyboi » Aug 25th, '06, 02:59

well ive installed the full package of k-lite codecs which supposedly has every single codec out there yet it still doesnt work. Using class media it says cannot render file. VLC/windows media player juz won't show it. Tried crystal player/BSplayer still no luck i have no idea.

a_my_me

Post by a_my_me » Aug 25th, '06, 04:00

jonnyboi wrote:well ive installed the full package of k-lite codecs which supposedly has every single codec out there yet it still doesnt work. Using class media it says cannot render file. VLC/windows media player juz won't show it. Tried crystal player/BSplayer still no luck i have no idea.
I supposed some player like BS player doesn't need all codecs, simply pick real alternative. I have this kind of error and the thing that I do is just simply restore my system using system restore to the time I haven't installed the codecs and the players. Then I install BS player with real alternative. I prefer old fashioned BS player though. Way better than the new one. This is the link:

http://www.fuco.sk/software/download/Ut ... player.php

:wub: :roll

ArieZ

Post by ArieZ » Aug 26th, '06, 06:06

try this player: vlc media player
you can dl it from http://www.videolan.org
never had problem opening any sub or media file with this until know, dunno bout the soft or hard sub but try this one

jonnyboi

Post by jonnyboi » Aug 28th, '06, 20:40

tried i get no picture only chopped up sound