DVD Lab Pro Japanese Subtitles

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
kapura

DVD Lab Pro Japanese Subtitles

Post by kapura » Jul 14th, '06, 18:12

Hello, I am currently working on converting certain VHS tapes to DVD and am trying to add both English and Japanese subtitles. I used Subtitle Workshop and have created subtitles in both languages. When I import them into DVD Lab Pro, the English subtitles work fine. However, my Japanese subtitles are complete gibberish. I've tried saving them in different formats (.srt,.sub,.son,etc.) but DVD Lab Pro still doesn't recognize them. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong? I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jul 14th, '06, 18:47

Based on some googling, it looks like the only unicode format that dvd lab pro supports is unicode in an rtf document, so you need to load your srt file into word and then export it in rtf and feed that to dvd lab pro. At least that's how I understand the google responses.

kapura

DVD Lab Pro Subtitles

Post by kapura » Jul 17th, '06, 15:01

How do I feed an .rtf document into DVD Lab pro? When I click on "import," the only options I have are to import subtitle files (.srt,.sub,.son,etc.)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jul 17th, '06, 15:28

Rename it to .srt?

kapura

Post by kapura » Jul 17th, '06, 15:50

When I rename it and try to import it into DVD Lab Pro, I get an error message saying "unsupported file type."

binky

Post by binky » Jul 17th, '06, 15:59

dvd lab pro doesn't support any subtitles other than english type language..
Basically, if you want to know if dvd lab pro support your file or not. save your file in notepad as an ansi encoded file. If you open it up again in notepad and it doesn't display gibberish, then dvdlab pro supports it.

you might want to look into DVDAuthor GUI. I was able to get that to work with vietnamese.
I basically saved my SRT file as UTF-8 encoding instead of ansi encoding.
in the DVDAuthor GUI subtitle format where the combobox is, I typed in UTF-8 since the selection was not available in the dropdown.

there's some thread concerning dvdauthor gui in the support thread...just do a search for it.

hopefully, this gets you on the right track.
Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu

kapura

Post by kapura » Jul 17th, '06, 16:09

Is there a way to open an existing DVD Lab Pro project into DVDAuthor GUI? I've been working since the beginning of June on this project, and have completed all my menus and English subtitles. The only thing remaining is to fix these Japanese subtitles. Is it possible to somehow open my DVD Lab Pro project in the GUI, then add Japanese subtitles? Or can I create the subtitles in GUI, then import them into DVD Lab Pro somehow.

kapura

Post by kapura » Jul 17th, '06, 16:28

Also, when I save my file in ANSI encoding via notepad, the file reopens properly in notepad. However, it still comes up as gibberish in DVD Lab Pro. Your help is greatly appreciated.

binky

Post by binky » Jul 17th, '06, 19:02

hmmm...if this is really japanese characters...ansi encoding shouldn't be supporting it...you are opening this up in notepad right and not some other program.

there is no way to convert a dvdlab pro project to dvdauthor gui project

from all that I google on dvdlab pro...it seems to be english centric...and doesn't really accept foreign languages well..

supposively..the other way to do it but i never did figure out how to do it is to convert all the japanese subtitle to images...and then using one of the supported dvd lab pro subtitle format that supports images...load it up that way...but i never did found a good tutorial for that.
Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu