convert amd athlon into intel processor

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
uniquo

convert amd athlon into intel processor

Post by uniquo » May 25th, '06, 14:03

Hi... I've been told all I need to do is change the motherboard.. is this right?

My computer is too noisy and distracts me from study.... and I really hate amds anyway...

Can someone confirm?

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » May 25th, '06, 14:08

"All I need to do"...
That means almost change the whole computer!
And perhaps the ram... and the HD...and maybe the case..
A new computer will be cheaper!

If you want a quieter computer, try to buy some quieter fan, or even a passive system... (zalman)

eye

Re: convert amd athlon into intel processor

Post by eye » May 25th, '06, 14:38

uniquo wrote:My computer is too noisy and distracts me from study.... and I really hate amds anyway...
Then don't get a Pentium 4, because it takes the term "noisy" to a whole new level. Modern Athlons are more energy-efficient than P4s, i.e. they produce less heat. If it has to be Intel no matter what, then go for the new Core Duo. Stay away from Pentium 4!

Prowler_88

Post by Prowler_88 » May 25th, '06, 19:17

Unfortunately it is impossible to convert a processor from Intel to Athlon since they are totally different things...It would be like trying to turn a PS2 into an Xbox (only harder).

If you're aftre a quiet computer then get a techie friend to install a quiter heatsink....Theres absolutely no need to change your processor or motherboard etc.

You may need to replace the power supply if thats making a racket, however, and of course theres the north bridge fan (the little one on the motherboard) which can be replaced (usually) with a passive heatsink.

Ask someone you know thats a bit more computer oriented to do it for you, and you should end up with a quieter pc.

For quiet heatsinks I recommend this (assuming you have an Athlon 64):http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=80&disc=

Prowler_88

Post by Prowler_88 » May 25th, '06, 19:20

Oh and eye P4's dont have to have noisy heatsinks, just good ones...I have a 3.4Gig P4 and have a large copper Thermalright Heatsink with an Acoustifan attached - it funcions at 18db (whisper quiet)

eye

Post by eye » May 25th, '06, 21:36

Prowler_88 wrote:Oh and eye P4's dont have to have noisy heatsinks, just good ones...I have a 3.4Gig P4 and have a large copper Thermalright Heatsink with an Acoustifan attached - it funcions at 18db (whisper quiet)
No need to advise me, I've been a P4 fanboy for several years. I know the tricks. But, as you probably know, large heatsinks don't make the heat disappear. They spread it in your room and all over your electricity bill. My eyes were finally opened when I got a Pentium M laptop a few months ago. Although its clock speed is 1.1GHz lower, it's just as fast as my P4 desktop. And the heatsink ... well, I don't even care how small it really is, because most of the time, the fan is off! That's 0dB!

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » May 25th, '06, 21:45

The Pentium M is incredible! I've got one in my IBM T41p, it's awesome, totally quiet and yet very powerful.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 25th, '06, 21:47

I like my P3 laptop because I can use it to keep my cup of tea hot by turning it over and placing the teacup over the place where the cpu is.

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » May 25th, '06, 21:57

Very useful indeed :D

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 25th, '06, 21:59

It's a T22.

It's longest uptime was 240 days, until a cat pulled out the power cord and the battery ran down overnight.

kokko8

Post by kokko8 » May 25th, '06, 22:01

T series rocks, Thinkpads rocks!
The best notebooks in the world, even if they're called "Lenovo" from now..

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 25th, '06, 22:15

Oh, really? The Lenovo are the same as the Thinkpad?!

Haha! On the Lenovo site the computer on the opening screen says IBM!!

LYF

Post by LYF » Jun 4th, '06, 13:05

why change it when conroe is coming to beat the crap out of amd?

irwinc

Post by irwinc » Jun 4th, '06, 13:44

You can convert an athlon to intel using the following ingredients:

Eye of Newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing

Make sure you throw in the toe of frog 2nd. Not first. 2nd. I made the mistake of adding it first which subsequently left me with a right leg shorter than my left. I can't leave my room cos I can only walk around in a circle...
:-(

LYF

Post by LYF » Jun 4th, '06, 16:32

irwinc wrote:You can convert an athlon to intel using the following ingredients:

Eye of Newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing

Make sure you throw in the toe of frog 2nd. Not first. 2nd. I made the mistake of adding it first which subsequently left me with a right leg shorter than my left. I can't leave my room cos I can only walk around in a circle...
:-(
:lol: that funny