Backing up

Discuss technical and geeky things here.

How do you mainly back up?

cdr
34%
dvdr
44%
spare hdd
8%
I don't!
14%

Total votes: 79

fartyman

Backing up

Post by fartyman » Apr 14th, '04, 23:19

This was going to be just on dramas, but it's become so much more! Moderators, if you want to move this post to a different part of the forum (like Support), please do so.
Anyone do this? How?
I mean, I know how... put it on a CD! But I mean, how do you back up the annoying file sized ones?
e.g. Shota no Sushi fits on CD, 2eps per CD. But then you have 17 episodes, so do you just burn the last ep on one CD wasting the storage space? I mean, you're already wasting 50Mb when you burn 2 eps on a cd, because it comes to 650Mb and I have 700Mb cdrs, so that's really annoying!
Also, another example, otousan or oyaji. What's up with those file sizes! 420+Mb! one ep. per CD!?
Or do you try to convert it to VCD format, so it doesn't seem so bad putting one ep per CD?
I don't have a DVD burner, but if I did, I would just fling them all on a DVDr, along with a couple of films to fill up the DVDr.
Is it just me that worries about filing up a 700Mb cd to at least 680Mb?
I'm like this with animes as well. I try my best to keep the animes in order, as well as the same animes on the same CD. But sometimes, I gotta put them on different cds, so that a later episode comes before an earlier one. And sometimes the CD has 4 different animes on it! One time, 4 anime episodes came to 703Mb and I couldn't overburn, so I used VirtuaDub to cut 10 seconds off the end of one of the eps so it came to 702Mb. Then it fit! :P
Yeah... enough ranting...
My last option would be to buy a hdd, like... 60gb one, they're quite cheap now (best £ to Gb ratio, apparently), and just fling all the annoying sized files on to it.
Films are easy, cos people understand to either have it as a 1 CD option for the whole film, or 2 CD option so that it's sort of like a VCD, but at DVD quality. (Any Chinese out there will understand VCD swapping halfway through film). No way am I downloading a DVDr 4Gb sized file. Not yet anyway, I'd need at least a 1meg broadband connection, and I'm not planning on getting that until I get my own place.
So, how do you back up?
Or maybe you're a simple folk who downloads and deletes after. :P
If there's another popular way of backing up, tell me and I'll add it to the poll.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 14th, '04, 23:29

Hehe, I used to go beserk over such things, but I stopped worrying about the 50 mb left over on some series. :P But from time to time, whenever I feel particularly stingy, I stick a random funny video clip for my friends to watch (since I loan cds out to people).

For those oddball series (like My Love Patzzi with 13 episodes), I keep the last episode on my drive until I find another series with an odd number (no such luck yet though =() I also try to keep everything fairly organized, in alphabetical order and all that good stuff.. plus I keep an excel file documenting what I have on my cd-rs, what I have on my hdd, and what I deleted (with much reluctance!).

For those series where you have 650 mb total, you could always go out and buy 650 mg cd-rs. :P :P Then you won't feel like you've wasted anything! Hehe, what I don't like though are where 2 eps = 655 mb. >_<

Still though, I hardly think we have the right to complain. We're getting all of these dramas FREE from the net for our personal enjoyment. It doesn't require a penny on our part! So I think getting aggravated over a few megabytes is hardly justified....

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 15th, '04, 00:36

DVD-R is the way to go!

Actually, I wish dual layer DVD-R would come out soon, I'm beginning to run out of space to put all my DVD-Rs.

hakurey

Post by hakurey » Apr 15th, '04, 00:43

DVDR are so cheap nowadays if you buy em in bulk. I think i have nearly 100 now and it's taking up way too much space. Some ppl have way more than me.

Yes I wish those dual layers would come out and even the promised blue ray which could hold more than 50GB (read about it awhile ago). It's gotta be cheap otherwise I'll start deleting stuff. I don't worry about the wasted space at the end, too much hassle to squeeze other stuff in.

Takez0
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Takez0 » Apr 15th, '04, 00:47

Wow, imagine 50 gb in a disc :w00t:

I back up on cd-rs, usually movies I don't have time to convert at the moment, and some dramas for future seeding purposes.

I bought an external 60 gb HD but I ran out of space very fast.... :pale:

bludawn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by bludawn » Apr 15th, '04, 00:51

i use an external hd...just dump everything on there..

but eventually i back up to dvdr...when i find the time -_-

superfuzzy3

Post by superfuzzy3 » Apr 15th, '04, 01:01

they keep saying dual layer dvd burners are coming soon (last i heard was fall)...and that's gonna be sooooo sweet....
I don't back up on cds anymore...they got too annoying to lose/break/scratch etc etc. Being the uber nerd i am, i decided to have some fun and made a media server for the apt. pushing close to 1 tb in space (3 250 gigrs) and that's my primary backup now... that's enough storage for me to wait till dual layer dvd-r comes so i can start archiving ^^
hakurey wrote: Yes I wish those dual layers would come out and even the promised blue ray which could hold more than 50GB (read about it awhile ago)
that's another technology in the works right now. Dual layer basically just means 2 dvds so about 8-9 gigs. They're placed ontop of each other with a separator so that they create two optically distinct dye regions.
The thing about 50 gigs i think is a new laser tech used in the writing process (using blue/violet light).

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 15th, '04, 01:25

that backup server sounds good, I was considering doing something like that at one point...hrm I just calculated how much space I would need about a 3 TB server.

fartyman

Post by fartyman » Apr 15th, '04, 01:41

new technologies aside... does anyone edit the file with VirtuaDub or Nandub to fit on cdr sometimes?
I've got a film which is 800mb, how annoying! No way I can chop out scenes either.
When you guys talk about DVDr, do you mean minus, plus or RAM. Is ram even around anymore?
Any recommendations for burners? I've heard both sides, get a plus, get a minus, for differing reasons.
Does anyone know the lifetime of a CDR? Cos I've got some stuff I've burnt about 4 yrs ago, and the files are getting corrupted! These are itty bitty txt files and what not, but still, I had to try to rescue most of them off the cdr!
And what muppet actually voted for "I don't" backup?

Scyth3r

Post by Scyth3r » Apr 15th, '04, 01:44

DVD+R > DVD-R. :P

I back my stuff on DVD. I wouldn't trust a hard drive at all.

Theres simply not enough space on CDR.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Apr 15th, '04, 01:47

fartyman wrote:new technologies aside... does anyone edit the file with VirtuaDub or Nandub to fit on cdr sometimes?
I've got a film which is 800mb, how annoying! No way I can chop out scenes either.
When you guys talk about DVDr, do you mean minus, plus or RAM. Is ram even around anymore?
Any recommendations for burners? I've heard both sides, get a plus, get a minus, for differing reasons.
Does anyone know the lifetime of a CDR? Cos I've got some stuff I've burnt about 4 yrs ago, and the files are getting corrupted! These are itty bitty txt files and what not, but still, I had to try to rescue most of them off the cdr!
And what muppet actually voted for "I don't" backup?
Even though I really only like DVD+R, there's no reason for you to purchase a single format at this late stage in the game. All burners are cheap enough now that you definitely should get a dual format burner which can read and write both +R and -R.

The 8x NEC ND2500a keeps on dropping in price every few days. It's a great burner.

Just go to www.pricegrabber.com and you'll see it in the top 3 items searched every day.

hakurey

Post by hakurey » Apr 15th, '04, 04:23

superfuzzy3 wrote:they keep saying dual layer dvd burners are coming soon (last i heard was fall)...and that's gonna be sooooo sweet....
I don't back up on cds anymore...they got too annoying to lose/break/scratch etc etc. Being the uber nerd i am, i decided to have some fun and made a media server for the apt. pushing close to 1 tb in space (3 250 gigrs) and that's my primary backup now... that's enough storage for me to wait till dual layer dvd-r comes so i can start archiving ^^
[
so that's 3 x 250GB to give 750GB which means no RAID, so losing one drive...well I suppose you know the risks.

I just hope you didn't stripe them with RAID ZERO :crazy:

superfuzzy3

Post by superfuzzy3 » Apr 15th, '04, 06:45

so that's 3 x 250GB to give 750GB which means no RAID, so losing one drive...well I suppose you know the risks.

I just hope you didn't stripe them with RAID ZERO
yeah i must be really lucky or something but i've never experienced any hard drive failures. 2 of them ar raid 0 striiped to form the main drive, the other kinda sits there by itself since i never got around to getting another 250 to do the complete raid. I didn't think a full redunancy wsa really necessary though since it doesn't get huge ammounts of trafic to wear down the hds. but yeah you're right once one of those suckers goes on me...i'm gonna be one unhappy camper....

Kuroimaho

Post by Kuroimaho » Apr 15th, '04, 22:47

Used cds in the past 4 years, switched to dvds last summer because my parents wouldn't be able to live with more cds, this Jan bought 2*120Gb hdd and not yet full.
난 너를 기다릴 수 있어
I can wait for you.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Apr 17th, '04, 15:07

i stick all my dramas on cd-r's, and my films like last samurai, that goes on dvd'r. i didnt have a clue how to put a 2 and a half hour film onto a 2 hour disk. i knew i had to have a DVD9 recorder, so i emailed my burning tool on what to do, which is NERO

if i select standard play to record, i can fit a 2 hour movie onto a disk, but depending on media type and audio format, a straight 2 hour film wont fit. after standard play, you have long play (180 mins), extended play (240 mins), super long play (360 mins!!). i find NERO is the best, but there might be others out there which is just as good

sephy

Post by sephy » Apr 17th, '04, 23:51

I only back shows up when
a) they are complete
b) they fill a disc

DVD-R is the first choice, but if its the odd ep or 2 after filling a disc then I use cds. Only had to do that for SVCD encodes :p

My primary hd is only for OS and apps. Everything else goes on 2 or 3 drives.
1 drive handles all my Bit torrent downloads (if the torrent dies or has no seeds I can keep the partial file), newsgroups (till I can unrar them) and soulseek (till album/video is done).

My other drive or 2 is used to store completed files until they are ready to be backed up. I have 60gb+ just of uncompleted drama :O My music is also stored there as well as completed torrents - again until they are complete series or will go on a disc with related files. I did use 2 drives but now I have cleaned the HD up and archived a lot of stuff I send this drive to my friend who abuses her Uni connection to download multi gb torrents for me :)

I'm not worried about losing data. My boot and storage drives are unlikely to fail and thats because I use a seperate drive for torrents and newsgroups. As both of those are more likely to kill the drive through overuse I can be safe in the knowledge that if the drive dies, my important data is safe as well as my downloads. 8)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

backing up - multisession dvd

Post by jholic » Apr 21st, '04, 21:10

IS IT POSSIBLE (OR SUGGESTED) TO CREATE A MULTISESSION DVD (-/+R)?
:-(

i did a pretty extensive job of searching on google, dvddemystified, and other forums, and i can't seem to get a solid answer. :unsure:

windows xp pro / sp1
nec 2500a
nero 6
memorex -R (4x)

i wanted to start burning many of the series found on this site on dvdr to save space. however, there are several series that have started (tls, kamisama, etc), that have not completed. i thought that multisession dvds would work the same as multisession cds. i could burn the first 4/5 eps on the dvd, and wait for the rest to come in and burn it to the same dvd. :glare:

just to test it, i opened nero (start new multisession dvd-rom). put about 5gigs of mp3s on it, did a speed test, and set it for 2x burn w/ data verification. a warning appeared (stating that on m-session dvd's, session2 and above may not be readable), but i took a chance, and burnt it anyways. burn was successful, verification was successful. result = unreadable by the same burner that burnt it. won't recognize it at all. :cry:

do any of you burn multisession dvds? on -r, +r, +rw, or -rw? another program, perhaps??

thanks for any help!! :)

Kuroimaho

Post by Kuroimaho » Apr 21st, '04, 21:20

I can't really help with that problem.Here is how I solved it: I bought a few DVD-RWs and used to burn series on those when got enough to fill one dvd I burned the DVD and erased the rewriteable one.
난 너를 기다릴 수 있어
I can wait for you.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 21st, '04, 23:38

hrm I've burnt multisession DVD-R before using Nero and they worked fine. Maybe you just had bad luck with the first burn?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 22nd, '04, 02:24

Ruroshin wrote:hrm I've burnt multisession DVD-R before using Nero and they worked fine. Maybe you just had bad luck with the first burn?
Ruroshin: as always, you're very helpful. :) the most important thing was whether multisession dvd-r (or +r) were possible. now that i know someone else has done it, i will try it again tonight. (i want to practice multisession backing up on useless things like system files, programs, and tax forms before i do it on really important things like jdramas and jmovies. :mrgreen: )

Kuroimaho: I forgot to thank you for your response. that sounds like a pretty good idea. i may pick up some dvd -/+rw's later, but i bought several packs of -r's, so if I can do multisession, it would save me a lot of trouble...

i searched nero.com and d/led the guides on burning multisession dvds. perhaps it was something to do with my joliet settings or something. after all, it wasn't like the burn failed. it verified and everything. :glare: i will try to copy down the settings that i use and see if that has something to do with it.

what program / burner / media did you use, Ruroshin?

does anyone else do multisession dvd-r?

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by amrayu » Apr 22nd, '04, 02:37

jholic wrote: i searched nero.com and d/led the guides on burning multisession dvds. perhaps it was something to do with my joliet settings or something. after all, it wasn't like the burn failed. it verified and everything. :glare: i will try to copy down the settings that i use and see if that has something to do with it.

what program / burner / media did you use, Ruroshin?

does anyone else do multisession dvd-r?
i make multisession dvd-rs also. the only message that appears on nero is "you are about to create a multi session dvd, it may be unreadable in other OS and drives..etc"
i use Nero/Pioneer A105 DVD-r/Princo, Ritek.
similar to what you said, i burn multi session dvds, so i can delete stuff of the hard drive and free up space. eventually when i finish downloading the series, ill burn the rest onto the same DVD-r.
there was one thing that happened to me, it seems if i burn something that is kind of small in size onto a multi session dvd that has files already, it gives me an error. so usually to avoid that, i try to burn atleast 1 gig or more.
:roll
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 22nd, '04, 02:38

for media I use Ritek/Ridata 4x DVD-R, for program I use Nero 5. Can't remember the make of my burner but its a Sony +/-R and +/-RW.

However, I rarely burn multisession. I use RW to backup temporary things and when I have the full series I burn to -R, this keep maximum compatibility. Its just safer that way.

Kasimir

Post by Kasimir » Apr 22nd, '04, 10:02

i was forced to vote for cd-r mainly because i only got my new computer with its dvd burner about two weeks ago, and i haven't filled either of my new 120gig hd's enough to need to burn anything yet.... though my old computer only had a cd burner and i've got about 1,000 cd-rs kicking about on spindles and in stacks waiting for me to orgainze them.... (mostly anime, as i've only been downloading j-drama for about a month now....) but now i'm pretty much switiching to dvds..... and on a side note.... i can't understand how anyone could be upset with only burning 400-500 or even "only" 650 megs of info on a cd... i mean... i know it's a waste leaving space that *could* possibly be used, but come on... cd-rs are like a quarter each.... i'm sure you can afford to waste a nickle now and again :P

kumakuma

Post by kumakuma » Apr 22nd, '04, 12:05

haha... less than a nickle actually.. I have seen one 100cdr pack on sale for 18 dollars and it comes with a $15 rebate.

That made it 3 dollars for 100cdr, 3 cents for one cdr, and about 24/100 cent per 50 mb

I bet you can afford losing a penny, can't you?? :mrgreen:

BT-slut, thanks for your recommendation.. I think I will go ahead and buy the 8x NEC ND2500a

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 23rd, '04, 00:35

Ruroshin/amrayu: thanks for the help. since you both use Nero, perhaps my settings are off?

In Nero,
New Compilation ... select DVD (DVD-ROM (ISO))
Under Multisession ... select Start Multisession
Under ISO:
ISO Level 1, Mode 1, ISO9660, Joliet checked

Are these the settings you use?
Do you relax ISO Restrictions? (the three checkboxes)
Do you relax Joliet Restrictions?

It may just be that Memorex -R DVD x4 media isn't able to do multisession. I burned a regular movie dvd on the Memorex and it worked fine... I have packs of CompUSA, Ritek, and Newegg data.

kumakuma: my friends and i did some research on the nec2500a, and found it to be one of the best burners. that's what we all bought, and it seems to be working great (except for this problem i'm having w/ multisession dvd's). i bought it from newegg at a really great price.

thanks!
jholic

JALAL

Post by JALAL » May 4th, '04, 11:18

:roll whats the point of burning if you dont have the interset nor the time to watch a movie / drama once again?!! :roll And to tell the truth i dont have any friend here who is intrested in japanse stuff :D So i just delete all the stuff...
But when it comes to games.. some of them are getting burned, those who have repeat value ofcourse!
well enough said 8)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » May 4th, '04, 20:57

I spend hours sometimes days getting an episode so I'm not gonna delete it after all that effort :glare: Besides I save it to use for trading and seeding :)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 5th, '04, 01:30

the prob i run into is when someone puts up a single file that's about 900mb or so. (like gojoe, battlefield baseball, etc.). those are too large for a cdr and too wasteful on a dvdr.

they're just hogging up space on my hd until i take the time out to learn how to use tmpgenc and maybe split the file or something. the good news is that if they're on my hd, it's quicker for me to help seed and stuff.

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » May 9th, '04, 02:14

Ruroshin wrote:that backup server sounds good, I was considering doing something like that at one point...hrm I just calculated how much space I would need about a 3 TB server.
hehe.. this is mine..

server has:
5 x 120gb hdd fixed
2 x 120gb hdd removeable

total on my network.. just a bit over 1TB of anime/tvseries/drama files

I was thinking of swapping them to 200gb hdd since the prices have dropped.
hmm.. one day, i will watch all the anime/tvseries/dramas on them too! LOL

=P
Last edited by animetama on May 9th, '04, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 9th, '04, 09:08

Right now I have 5 200 gig hd's, 4 120 gigs, and 2 80 gigs in my systems. Another 5 or 6 60-80 gig ones laying around that I use to temporarily store or back up some series. I actually filled up 90% of my fixed drives with series, movies, mp3's and wav files, so right now I'm in the MAJOR pia process of burning most of my video to dvd. I used to make svcd disks, but I've got too much crap to make that realistic. Besides, I only watch them on my pc anyway, and divx and xvid quality usually surpasses the mpeg2 files I make for cd's.

The only shows I'll be burning to SVCD now are the ones in Mandarin, since my lady and mother-in-law understand it.

Know any good places to buy dvd-+r's? Fry's has already banned me from buying any more of the $29 50-packs of GQ media. Is buying 4 on 4 consecutive days bad when it's limited to 1 per customer? picky, picky...

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » May 9th, '04, 09:36

aNToK wrote:Know any good places to buy dvd-+r's? Fry's has already banned me from buying any more of the $29 50-packs of GQ media. Is buying 4 on 4 consecutive days bad when it's limited to 1 per customer? picky, picky...
From another forum I found this:
http://www.officedepot.com/txtSearchDD. ... Txt=881218

OfficeDepot is carrying this 25-Pack DVD+R Spindle for $39.94
Add TWO of this 25-Pack DVD+R Spindle to your shopping cart
During checkout, apply $10 off $30 Coupon Code "30332206" on it (Expires 05/22/2004)
Also apply Coupon Code "29572940" to get an instant $39.94 discount (Expires 05/08/2004)
OfficeDepot.com offers Free Shipping on all orders over $50 (Before Coupon and/or rebate)
Your Final Price: $39.94 + $39.94 - $10 - $39.94 = $29.94 + Free Shipping

However, one has expired..

=D

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 9th, '04, 10:00

Thanks, animetama, I'll check it out. Brisbane eh, I'm about 60 miles away in the east bay. Play with my username and it's not too hard to figure where :)

Worst comes to worst, the last circular I saw had the +r 25 packs for $14.88, and there's always the Fry's in Fremont and San Jose. Hate driving that far unless I have to though. Hwy 4 and 680 are both a pain in the gas (tank)

fartyman

Post by fartyman » May 9th, '04, 11:19

animetama wrote: server has:
5 x 120gb hdd fixed
2 x 120gb hdd removeable

total on my network.. just a bit over 1TB of anime/tvseries/drama files

I was thinking of swapping them to 200gb hdd since the prices have dropped.
hmm.. one day, i will watch all the anime/tvseries/dramas on them too! LOL

=P
250Gb ones are out. But I don't know if its the new serial ATA, might need a new mobo for that. Do you have a RAID going on? I've always wondered how to do that, but never had the money to buy loads of hard disks and/or scsi devices.
One of your 5 visible hard disks looks different. Is that the primary master? The one nearest the top. And I'm guessing your removable ones are where the cdrom drives would be.
You don't back up on to cdr/dvdr ? You don't have cd-rom/dvd-rom ?
lol, i'm the same as you, an archiver. I'll get 'round to watching all my 600+ cdrs of anime one day too!

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » May 9th, '04, 13:31

fartyman wrote:250Gb ones are out. But I don't know if its the new serial ATA, might need a new mobo for that. Do you have a RAID going on? I've always wondered how to do that, but never had the money to buy loads of hard disks and/or scsi devices.
One of your 5 visible hard disks looks different. Is that the primary master? The one nearest the top. And I'm guessing your removable ones are where the cdrom drives would be.
You don't back up on to cdr/dvdr ? You don't have cd-rom/dvd-rom ?
lol, i'm the same as you, an archiver. I'll get 'round to watching all my 600+ cdrs of anime one day too!
yes, but 200gb hdd are the best value/$ here right now.
I don't have a raid.. although I would love to.. and yes, its the expense >_<
My bro tells me that you can just buy a raid card and use identical drives and it should work as a raid system ie plug n play.
All you need is the $$$ =P

Yes, the dodgy one at the top is the system drive.
There is a cd/dvd rom drive. It's under the two removeable ones.
I need it to install stuffs and to load anime/dorama etc on
The dvd burner is on my bro's pc.. i'm too lazy to burn =X
ruroshin-chan can attest to that XD hehe
My downloading is done on another one.
And I muck around/watch my files on this one..
There are 4 pc networked at our place..
we've (my bro and I) turned our lounge/dinning rooms into our Pc Nerd haven.. :|
Actually, its my bro that is the nerd.. me, I just tag along sometimes..
Oh yea, the fifth one, at work.. i've set-up to upload and serve files mainly..

heh @ archives :P
Umm, I do back-up onto dvd-r but it's getting to be a chore lately..
You'd think with so many hdd we have alot of space..
but NOOO, my bro and I fight over the last Gb!! >_<
It's good that we are both into anime or there'll be lotsa bashing going on =P
Last count, last year I think.. we had ~3,500 cdr anime & ~500 dvd-r anime
My fav is PoT and I have to watch it at least once a week..
yea, he's only 12 and a brat but he's soooo kawaiiiii :wub:
I'm not sure about my dramas.. probably ~1,000 cdr & ~100 dvdr??

Alot of people have asked me to update my list but everytime I go to do it..
I suddenly become lethargic.. hehe.. OMG.. it's such a chore.. so I put it off for another day..
If only there was a nice lil' proggie that does it automatically for you..
*hint hint* shin-chan!!

/off topic

:w00t:

is2hyolee

Post by is2hyolee » May 11th, '04, 03:42

.... i use to backup all my stuff on CDR's ...
... now i tend to back up everything on DVDR ...
... i wouldnt mind backing up my files on HDDs, but i need all the space i can get ...

idolcrash

Post by idolcrash » May 15th, '04, 15:30

I have a whole system :D

If there are MP3s, I save them (and never delete them from) to my external hard drive, and also on CD-RW so I can listen to them in my MP3 CD Player

If there are videos, I watch them, and either put them on my external drive or my new 80 gig internal drive. After I watch them, I back them up on DVD-R/RW (now that I have a drive :D) and delete the backed-up files.
I catalogue everything I back up so if anything goes missing or if I need a file for some reason, I can find it.

mackn

Post by mackn » May 24th, '04, 09:53

animetama wrote:
yes, but 200gb hdd are the best value/$ here right now.
I don't have a raid.. although I would love to.. and yes, its the expense >_<
My bro tells me that you can just buy a raid card and use identical drives and it should work as a raid system ie plug n play.
All you need is the $$$ =P
Yeah. most all raid cards can do simple mirroring (which is what you want) or raid 5..
Don't go with raid 0 since it's not a true *R*aid (it's not redundant)
raid 1 or 5 can be implemented with most popular IDE raid cards and it's practically plug and play.

Also, you don't need identical drives really.. i mean..it's a good idea just so you don't waste space (depending on the implementation if you use a 100 and a 150gb drive to create a raid1 (mirroring) the size will end up being 100gb of usuable space (the lesser of the two drives)

i'm anal when it comes to my fileserver so i raid and do daily backups (on another set of drives). The raid is for disk failures... the backup is for brain failures (oops.. my fingers slipped and just deleted the entire volume!)

-mackn

ichigo

Post by ichigo » Jul 2nd, '04, 20:13

I use cd but I don't burn drama I watching them and after deleting them hehe I'm only burning anime don't know why not both =P maybe because I have too much cd!

I have to buy a dvd burner but now I don't have money to spend on that =P

mt877

Post by mt877 » Jul 4th, '04, 04:20

I use both CD and DVD for backup. I guess it depends on what will fit onto DVD, then
any overflow, like one or two episodes from a series gets dumped to CD.

Now that it's known that many folks here either use CD or DVD, how do you store your
vast archives? I use paper sleeves, sometimes store bought and sometimes DIY paper
cd case (see the pic below).

Try this very easy to make 2 CD/DVD paper envelope. Credit goes to Hydroxy at abmj
newsgroup for posting this a long time ago.
Attachments
cheap 2-disc sleeve diagram.gif
cheap 2-disc sleeve diagram.gif (33.1 KiB) Viewed 4695 times

sugarbloodsuckers

Post by sugarbloodsuckers » Jul 4th, '04, 18:29

Thanks for the instructions on how to make the cd sleeve.. :) Now I don't have to buy sleeves for cd-r's i'm burning for other people :D

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 4th, '04, 22:16

mt877: ha!! now THAT's pretty cool. the other thing you gotta worry about is that the paper may be abrasive to the cdr.

i read an article in the newspaper and found out something rather interesting: did you know that the vulnerable side of a cdr is actually the LABEL side? since the manufacturers of cds knew that the cd needed to read on a good surface, they made the BURN side pretty tough to ignore slight scratches, nicks, dust, etc. but the label side is vulnerable to alcohol based ink, scratching, denting, etc - which can harm the grooves of the burn side from the label side.

recommendation for storing your cdr's? use good ink, and store vertically w/o touching each other, at room temperature. (gee, i guess i can kiss my 4 - 100spindles of cdrs goodbye).

omoshiroi, ne?

mt877

Post by mt877 » Jul 5th, '04, 04:02

Burnable CDs have the reflective surface on the label side. If you're into buying those
cheap generic silver CDs with no extra coating, then you run the big risk of damaging
that side. It's always best to buy name brand media which has the protective coating
on the label side. Another good tip is to never, ever apply stick-on labels to a CD
because there's the chance that the label can lift the reflective suface off, then you
have permanent damage.

DVDs are actually more robust, the reflective surface and dye are actually sandwiched
between protective plastic like layers. This does not mean that a DVD will not seperate
it's layers, this may occur if the manufacturing process is flawed. ( I have never seen
this, but "Murphy" always works in mysterious ways.)

In any case, also from what I've read, vertical storage, gentle handling, no extremes of
temperature exposure will increase the life and enjoyment of both CDs and DVDs.
Which translates to: Keep those kids with sticky peanut butter and jelly fingers at least
1000 meters away from your CD / DVD collection.

aphex

How do you keep track of your stuff?

Post by aphex » Sep 30th, '06, 13:34

So, you downloaded a bunch of dramas and stored them on DVD's. How do you keep track of what you have and on which DVD (besides writing all over the actual disc that is)? Anyone have good suggestions for (hopefully) free software that creates a database of your discs, preferable by some kind of automation. I used to have all my discs registered in an access database, which worked great until I lost the file somehow.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 1st, '06, 03:13

merging with 'backing up'.

although your question is slightly different, the points are the same.

most people i know (including myself) simply create an EXCEL spreadsheet with several columns. one of your columns is how you LABEL the disc (numbers, titles, letters, etc.) then you might want to put a column for EPs, SUBBED, OST, NOTES, etc. your access db was a good idea too.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

hakuharu

Re: How do you keep track of your stuff?

Post by hakuharu » Oct 8th, '06, 20:33

aphex wrote:So, you downloaded a bunch of dramas and stored them on DVD's. How do you keep track of what you have and on which DVD (besides writing all over the actual disc that is)? Anyone have good suggestions for (hopefully) free software that creates a database of your discs, preferable by some kind of automation. I used to have all my discs registered in an access database, which worked great until I lost the file somehow.
I have an access database too, in which I log filetypes, sizes, series and the number of the disk (all my disks have numbers)...
I use an automatic tool for my MVs and PVs, which I have in an excel sheet. This program is called "videoinspector" and it was recommended in another thread here on d-addicts... There were more recommendations but I can't find the thread at the moment. Sorry! Happy hunting! :-)
The thread was called "help keeping track of dramas watched ." but I can't get the right link.....
Ava inspired by Murakami Takashi