H264 Codec?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
EMTQueen

H264 Codec?

Post by EMTQueen » Dec 8th, '05, 08:12

I downloaded some files from wachi's clubbox and one needs this particular codec in order to play the video (the sound is fine). It's the NANA movie, if anybody needs clarification. Anybody know where I can get this codec?

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Dec 8th, '05, 08:16

This sounds like a quicktime file to me. Do you what the extension is for the file?
D-Addicts is like a library: Most of the resources are there, you just have to search around!

My 1000th post: How to be a Good Fansubber :-)

daalig

Post by daalig » Dec 8th, '05, 08:20

d0diro

Post by d0diro » Dec 8th, '05, 13:39

H264 a.k.a AVC is the most recent MPEG4 codec, also called MPEG4 part 10. New HDTV program will also be aired with this.

For windows you have the following options, either use a player like VLC or mplayer, they are bad with subtitles though, or install a recent ffdshow version and install it, it decodes a dozen of codecs, with a special focus on MPEG content. I don't recommend VLC really if you watch a lot of softsubs as it's softsub renderer is really poor.

you can find a recent ffdshow here: http://www.x264.nl/, you can also get an splitter for mp4/mkv and ogm files there. just download an install matroska splitter, as it's highly probable that the video is either in mp4 or mkv container as avi doesn't really support h264 properly. This way any directshow player (MPC, WMP, Zoomplayer) will play these videos.

If you want an easier solution get the CCCP, http://cccp-project.net/. It's alightwight filter pack bringing you filters and splitters for any kind of MPEG video content you usually encounter on the web in the scene and better organized than other codec pack like their much hated K-Lite Pack.

h264 needs a good PC as it has a cpu intensive inloop filter.

The file being Quicktime is very unlickely as noone in the scene encodes to quicktime, and quicktimes encoder and even worse the decoder are very slow and cpu consuming. ffdshow can however also decode h264 in mov much more efficent, same with VLC or mplayer. Probably you got either an MP4 or MKV.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Dec 8th, '05, 18:12

yt_toshi wrote:This sounds like a quicktime file to me. Do you what the extension is for the file?
So called mp4 files are structurally similar to quicktime files, but by convention they have h264 video and AAC audio. Most of the people who have adopted this format have not figured out how to optimise the h264 video yet, however, FoT's recent fansubs of Sailor Stars are encoded brilliantly... the 170 Mb files have video quality equal to dvd's. I was astonished when I transcoded these files to find that several different strategies all resulted in ridiculous (high) average bitrates for the reencodes. But after putting the source files under a microscope, sure enough, they are mind-boggling encodes, apparently due to properly tweaking the h264 codec.

That said, most h264 decoder implementations are brain-damaged and use 20 times the cpu cycles required for other mpeg4 codecs, so there are, uh, tradeoffs ;^)

Also, for Linux/BSD users who want to transcode to dvd format, Transcode's probing utterly fails on mp4 files, so the user has to probe the geometry and framerate info of the input and include it explicitly on the transcode command line. Some form of decimation (like applying the lavc nr option to a single pass transcode) is neccessary to avoid having insane peak bitrates on the reencode. The Transcode core team are pursuing the optional inclusion of mplayer based probing to solve the probing problem quickly.

Just a prediction, but I would not be surprised if in six months we are seeing luscious 400 Mb encodes of dorama with full dvd image quality.

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Dec 8th, '05, 19:46

Sweet! I got the movie working now. Thank you so much!

bran
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bran » Mar 6th, '06, 20:12

It does seem quite a bit CPU intensive. With a default settings, 2 pass 800kbps NTSC 29.93fps 480x360 clip, it uses up around 55% of my Athlon 64 3500+

Although the image does seem a bit sharper than same 800kbps xvid 2 pass, which uses around 35% cpu average.

FaustVIII

Post by FaustVIII » Mar 13th, '06, 15:14

Uhmm......sorry to bump in. I have a problem burning an mp4 file (Ai Nante Iraneyo, Natsu episode 4) to a dvd. I'm using Nero Vision Express SE, and when I'm about to add the file, a message appears saying "unable to insert this file". I was able to burn the other mp4 files, except for this one. And I was also able to watch it in my computer, so I don't think it is corrputed. Can anyone help me with this?

bran
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bran » Mar 13th, '06, 21:47

Even if it's watchable doesn't mean it's not corrupted. If you encode it to MPEG2 DVD, try using Vdub to 1pass divx it with audio the same as original.

FaustVIII

Post by FaustVIII » Mar 14th, '06, 03:29

bran wrote:Even if it's watchable doesn't mean it's not corrupted. If you encode it to MPEG2 DVD, try using Vdub to 1pass divx it with audio the same as original.
Ah ok. Any recommendations on softwares that can be used to encode mp4 to mpeg-2? I don't do the encoding manually since NeroVision Express usually do the job for me, so this is the first time I'll be doing this encoding stuff.

bran
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bran » Mar 15th, '06, 01:37

Hmm, actually since MP4 is a different container format than AVI, you can't use Vdub. As for a easy to use tool, Quicktime. It's slow but it'll do it.

FaustVIII

Post by FaustVIII » Mar 15th, '06, 03:21

bran wrote:Hmm, actually since MP4 is a different container format than AVI, you can't use Vdub. As for a easy to use tool, Quicktime. It's slow but it'll do it.
So that explains it. I was wondering why I can't open this mp4 file in Virtualdub :sweat: . Do I have to download the Quicktime player? Because I already have Quicktime Alternative, so is this good enough?

bran
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by bran » Mar 16th, '06, 01:33

No, you need the quicktime player.

massaru
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by massaru » Mar 16th, '06, 01:57

FaustVIII wrote:
bran wrote:Hmm, actually since MP4 is a different container format than AVI, you can't use Vdub. As for a easy to use tool, Quicktime. It's slow but it'll do it.
So that explains it. I was wondering why I can't open this mp4 file in Virtualdub :sweat: . Do I have to download the Quicktime player? Because I already have Quicktime Alternative, so is this good enough?
To open .mp4 files (or any other kind of file) in VirtualDub you can use an Avisynth script.

- Use a VirtualDub that can handle .avs scripts
- Install Avisynth v.2.5 onwards (when installing, choose associate with notepad)
- Open notepad and write this (it`s a script):

DirectShowSource("here you write the complete location of your .mp4 file in the hardrive")

P.S. don`t forget the (" ")

- Save the file as .avs
- Open VirtualDub
- Load the .avs file you just saved (just open it as you normally would any other .avi file, VirtualDub will treat it that way)
- You`re ready to do whatever you want with the file.

FaustVIII

Post by FaustVIII » Mar 16th, '06, 04:07

Thanks for the help guys :salut: . I'll try those suggestions that you gave me :-) .