Watching JDrama DVDs and using soft subs

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
preludervtec

Watching JDrama DVDs and using soft subs

Post by preludervtec » Dec 4th, '05, 01:48

Well, im currently living in Japan for the next few months and have been addicted to watching JDrama ever since i got here. However, im having a slightly hard time getting older Jdramas off bittorrent. A video store near my place has nearly all of the JDrama shows that i want to watch on DVD but of course none of them come with english subtitles. Is there anyway that i can rip the dvds and download the soft subtitles for these dramas?

Thanks

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Dec 4th, '05, 07:03

You might want to try DVDSubber to play the DVDs together with subtitles files from our subtitles forum. You can download it at www.dvdsubber.com ...

If you want to rip the DVDs then check out the detailed guides at http://www.doom9.org/guides.htm for help.
DVDSubber homepage wrote:DVDSubber was created to display additional subtitles during DVD or Media files playback. The subtitles are overlayed on top of the video no modification is done to the file and no reauthoring is necessary.

DVDSubber use the time code of the DVD to synchronize the subtitle with the movie. You can pause, fast forward, go to your favorite scene, the subtitle will always stay synchronized with the video.

You can either us an already existing subtitles scripts or create one from scratch using the embeded editor.

And of course DVDSubber is 100% freeware and contains absolutly no spyware or addware.
..:: ( Clubbox | Wiki | FAQ | [url=irc://irc.rizon.net:6667/d-addicts]IRC[/url] ) ::..

peachy

Post by peachy » Dec 14th, '05, 00:47

Thank you so much for the info MoerkJ:D It was really helpful cause I have a bunch of korean series with bad subs on dvd and now I can watch then with good subs!!! :cheers:

xLilVietDevilx

Watch a real DVD with downloaded subs from D-Addicts?

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Feb 17th, '06, 02:41

is it possible to watch a dvd that ive bought in a korean box set with subtitles from d-addicts? the subtitles from the original dvd really suck lmao x.x; "save the last dance with me" or something ._. makes me very sad... they spelled like everything wrong and seems that the person who subtitled it on the dvd cant speak english :( so i want to watch it with subs from here :pale:

aleifuu

Post by aleifuu » Feb 17th, '06, 02:50

Hi xLilVietDevilx,

My friend and I had this similiar situation before;
what we did was convert the DVD to .AVI, download the sub(s) and
adjust the timing

Hope that helps

the marshal

Post by the marshal » Feb 17th, '06, 02:59

With DVDsubber you directly playback the dvd with custom subs... that's exactly what the program is made for. You will have to adjust the timing and get to learn how the programm works (how to import your subs...). Note that you can sometimes find already made DVDsubber subtitle file on the web.

http://www.darkwet.net/dvdsubber/

aleifuu

Post by aleifuu » Feb 17th, '06, 03:02

the marshal wrote:With DVDsubber you directly playback the dvd with custom subs... that's exactly what the program is made for. You will have to adjust the timing and get to learn how the programm works (how to import your subs...). Note that you can sometimes find already made DVDsubber subtitle file on the web.

http://www.darkwet.net/dvdsubber/
now that's easier solution .. :lol

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 17th, '06, 03:11

even easier is to use mplayer and just specify the sub file:

mplayer dvd://1 -sub myfile.srt

Mplayer has a whole slew of options for adjusting the subtitle display timing. Of course, the subs may never sync at all if they were not made from the dvd source in the first place.

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Feb 18th, '06, 07:35

soooooo confusing @_@

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 18th, '06, 15:53

Not confusing, just not magic. The timing for the subs was correct for SOME source, and if that source was derived from the dvd's, you won't have to do much or any retiming.

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Feb 22nd, '06, 16:21

i use media player classic... it's very simple, and i love it! all you need to do is download the player (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/med ... assic.html), go to "file" and "load dvd." next, go to "file" and "load subtitle."

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Feb 25th, '06, 06:19

boo i tried and it worked for the first half, but then the second half is off sync. the DVD has 2 parts. and each part has 4 chapters.... do i have to like rip them all to avi then merge the 4 vidz together to make 1 or something o.o; boooo :( this dvd has really bad subs lol

k_fan

Post by k_fan » Feb 25th, '06, 07:50

In that case, you have to fix the subtitles yourself. It's really not hard, just a matter of trial and error. You can open your DA subtitles in Notepad and edit them there or use Subtitle Workshop. That's good too. Don't worry, you get the hang of it pretty quick. Editing is the easy part. :)

triplea

Post by triplea » Mar 13th, '06, 09:43

I tried using the dvdsubber and it works. I noticed however that two subs are shown on the screen (both english). How can I remove one?

shminda

Post by shminda » Mar 21st, '06, 06:32

I'm using DVD Subber right now to watch purchased DVD dramas without subtitles using Soft Subtitles, but I can only get it to work with the first episode. The second episode is still tricky for me to comprehend. How would I get the 2nd set of subtitles into the Title #2 instead of Title #1. I tried to redo the timing but that didn't work. I'm also somewhat confused on how to do the timing, because like it starts out on time but when I fast forward to check the rest of it, it's like completely off and not by like a couple of seconds but like by five or more minutes! Would I just have to do the changes in that timing manually? Sorry I have so many questions and am so totally confused, but I'm new to all of this and any help would be really really appreciated. Please PM me if you can help me in anyway. Thank you in advance everybody. [[ Thank you for showing me DVD Subber too! =D ]]

k_fan

Post by k_fan » Mar 21st, '06, 10:31

Triplea, I don't know which player you're using, but there should be a subtitles or options menu where you can turn off the hardsubs. Just requires some rifling around. :)

And shminda, as far as I know you would still have to time manually, but maybe somebody else has an easier way? For the subtitle sets, I'm guessing you mean that your subtitles are all playing in the same ep. If that's the case, are you sure they're separate .srt files? That could be the prob.

shminda

Post by shminda » Mar 21st, '06, 16:20

K_fan. They're separate .srt files, but it's because on the DVD there's 2 seperate titles for each episode, so it starts off at 0:00:00,00 each time and I do not know how to put the 2nd set of subtitles into the 2nd title cause I don't know how to make a new title. Thanks for the help and response on the timing of the subs! =D

shminda

Post by shminda » Mar 23rd, '06, 15:10

Nevermind, I've been toying with it lately and found out how to create the 2nd/3rd/etc. titles needed. Now all I have to do is retime them. Thanks for all the help!!! =D

raspb3rry

Post by raspb3rry » Jul 1st, '06, 08:04

Is there a tutorial on how to view the subs using DVDsubber or Media Player Classic? I've been trying to work them both, but I can't even get the subtitles to load >.<Media>.<. Please help!

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 1st, '06, 08:33

raspb3rry wrote:Is there a tutorial on how to view the subs using DVDsubber or Media Player Classic? I've been trying to work them both, but I can't even get the subtitles to load >.<Media>.<. Please help!
You'd think after being a member for over a year that one would have had time to look around for, I don't know, an FAQ or support section? :scratch:
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

shminda

Post by shminda » Jul 1st, '06, 08:52

raspb3rry wrote:Is there a tutorial on how to view the subs using DVDsubber or Media Player Classic? I've been trying to work them both, but I can't even get the subtitles to load >.<Media>.<. Please help!
For future references check out other threads first before asking these type of questions more likely than not they've been answer.

When you mean to view subs using DVDSubber//Media Player Classic, you mean with DVDs right? If so, here's how to do it with DVDSubber.

First, put your DVD into your PC/Laptop then open DVDSubber.

Second, when you open DVDSubber below the Volume there is Profile: Open Edit, click on the Edit option. When you click on the Edit option Subed3 will oepn up and a small box labeled Profile will pop up too. In that box just add in the .srt file Once you do that click back to DVD Subber.

Third, now click the Open option, which was located to the left of Edit, when you do that it allows you to start your DVD. After that the subtitles should appear.

Hope that helps. Anymore Qs, you can PM me.

raspb3rry

Post by raspb3rry » Jul 1st, '06, 09:45

aNToK wrote:
You'd think after being a member for over a year that one would have had time to look around for, I don't know, an FAQ or support section? :scratch:
Sorry, I should have made myself more clear...subs for DVD :unsure:. I know how the other way works with avi file and srt.

shminda, that worked ^^. Hmm, one thing is that theres two episodes on one dvd. So in the beginning, I'd have to load 2 softsubs? But then when I play the dvd for a while, two sets of subtitles turn up (one set on top, and another at the bottom o__O).

Btw, thankyou so much for the directions =D!

shminda

Post by shminda » Jul 1st, '06, 18:23

raspb3rry wrote:
aNToK wrote:
Sorry, I should have made myself more clear...subs for DVD :unsure:. I know how the other way works with avi file and srt.

shminda, that worked ^^. Hmm, one thing is that theres two episodes on one dvd. So in the beginning, I'd have to load 2 softsubs? But then when I play the dvd for a while, two sets of subtitles turn up (one set on top, and another at the bottom o__O).

Btw, thankyou so much for the directions =D!
No problem, it took me a while to get the hang of it too, just glad to be able to help others. But when there is 2 episodes or more on a DVD see if there are both in seperate titles or not, if they aren't, you have to use Subtitle Workshop to retime it, it's pretty simple to do so, if you can't figure it out feel free to PM me. If it's b/c they have different titles you have to add it the same way i showed you earlier [the srt file that is] and when you do that the srt file will show up in the upper half of the Profile label box called "Untitled" double click that and it'll come upw ith a box for you to change "Untitled" to a name and underneath that in color you cna change the title number. When there's a difference in titles you don't have to retime.

There is an overlay of subtitles now b/c they both have the same timing or meaning when it's 02:01:22 there are subs for both .srt files you inputted. Once you retime or set the titles for both subs to play it should work at ease. PM me for any more questions

Mardoc

Post by Mardoc » Oct 9th, '06, 01:08

shminda wrote:
For future references check out other threads first before asking these type of questions more likely than not they've been answer.

When you mean to view subs using DVDSubber//Media Player Classic, you mean with DVDs right? If so, here's how to do it with DVDSubber.

First, put your DVD into your PC/Laptop then open DVDSubber.

Second, when you open DVDSubber below the Volume there is Profile: Open Edit, click on the Edit option. When you click on the Edit option Subed3 will oepn up and a small box labeled Profile will pop up too. In that box just add in the .srt file Once you do that click back to DVD Subber.

Third, now click the Open option, which was located to the left of Edit, when you do that it allows you to start your DVD. After that the subtitles should appear.

Hope that helps. Anymore Qs, you can PM me.
Okay, I added the srt subtitle in the Profile box that popped up, but when I clicked back to DVD Subber, the Open option (which had been located to the left of Edit) was gone. Can anyone advise me as to what I am doing wrong?

closet_queen

Post by closet_queen » Nov 28th, '06, 11:16

just some info...
i play DVDs with softsubs using KMplayer. it's user friendly.
just google it :)