[Tutorial] How to Convert AVI to Standard DVD for TV

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Apr 21st, '07, 14:21

Some people have posted an error with DvdAuthorGui saying "Path/File" Access error.

This occurs in Windows Vista and can be corrected by turning off "UAC". Go to the control panel and in the search box type "user accounts" and turn off UAC. You may also need to download the beta version of DvdAuthorGui to use with Vista.

sccy

Post by sccy » Apr 23rd, '07, 01:55

kyuuketsuki wrote:
sccy wrote:
ivenxubi wrote:
Yes, you will need this codec. Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
Scroll down to "Prominent software implementations" and you'll see there are a couple of freeware packages that include this codec: x264 and livabcodec.
Thanks. Do I install the codec only or do I have to install another pack of codecs?
Codec packs are notorious for creating incompatibility issues when playing videos. This is especially true if you have more than one codec installed for a given video type. It is never a bad idea to install just the codec you need instead of a full package. This way if you have problems, you can uninstall the single codec that is giving you problems. You can usually find the codec simply by doing a google search.
Thanks for the reply. I did install the codec and nothing happens but nevermind I will try to use another program.

bl00_4ng31

Post by bl00_4ng31 » Apr 26th, '07, 05:17

heyy everyone. i managed to figure out the right numbers to put in for the softsubs when i add the subs onto the video on dvdauthorgui but i forgot...SO can someone tell me how to view the actual file that i authored from dvdauthorgui before i burn it onto a dvd. cuz i wanta make sure that the placement of the subs are right....

does any of that even make sense?:lol thanksss!!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Apr 27th, '07, 01:11

bl00_4ng31 wrote:heyy everyone. i managed to figure out the right numbers to put in for the softsubs when i add the subs onto the video on dvdauthorgui but i forgot...SO can someone tell me how to view the actual file that i authored from dvdauthorgui before i burn it onto a dvd. cuz i wanta make sure that the placement of the subs are right....

does any of that even make sense?:lol thanksss!!
Not sure what you mean by putting in the right numbers for the subs, but you can check your dvd before you burn by using a software Dvd player. I use Power Dvd. Most players will let you open an IFO file. Open your VIDEO_TS directory and point to the first IFO file.

bakaonna

Post by bakaonna » Apr 28th, '07, 15:46

I've a question:

Would this tutorial work for two sets of subtitles? Sometimes I want to burn things with English and Chinese sub files, so my mom can watch it too. Would it be entirely impossible to do that?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Apr 29th, '07, 01:00

bakaonna wrote:I've a question:

Would this tutorial work for two sets of subtitles? Sometimes I want to burn things with English and Chinese sub files, so my mom can watch it too. Would it be entirely impossible to do that?
I believe you can have up to 8 subtitles. Just create everything as in the tutorial. Then load up your DvdAuthorGui project and add the Chinese subtitle in addition to the English one.

ivenxubi

Post by ivenxubi » Apr 30th, '07, 20:19

kyuuketsuki wrote:Some people have posted an error with DvdAuthorGui saying "Path/File" Access error.

This occurs in Windows Vista and can be corrected by turning off "UAC". Go to the control panel and in the search box type "user accounts" and turn off UAC. You may also need to download the beta version of DvdAuthorGui to use with Vista.
Even with UAC turned off and using the latest version from the author's website, DVDAuthorGUI still does not work in Vista (an error pops up about a dll not being registered correctly). I've tried registering the dll manually and it still doesn't work. I've tried all the different versions of DVDAuthorGUI that was posted on the author's website and none worked. I had to install Windows XP on a second partition to use this program.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 1st, '07, 15:49

ivenxubi wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:Some people have posted an error with DvdAuthorGui saying "Path/File" Access error.

Even with UAC turned off and using the latest version from the author's website, DVDAuthorGUI still does not work in Vista (an error pops up about a dll not being registered correctly). I've tried registering the dll manually and it still doesn't work. I've tried all the different versions of DVDAuthorGUI that was posted on the author's website and none worked. I had to install Windows XP on a second partition to use this program.
It's working for me with UAC turned off. I would try reinstalling it and make sure you install the VB runtime libraries when it asks you as part of the installation.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 4th, '07, 18:08

@kyuuketsuki: is there a way to add menu for the subtitles using dvdauthor gui? :)

malljclay

Post by malljclay » May 5th, '07, 00:57

how do you do the D:\DvdOUT part?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 5th, '07, 16:03

Rasckita wrote:@kyuuketsuki: is there a way to add menu for the subtitles using dvdauthor gui? :)
I checked the DvdAuthorGui web page and it says this,
"Extra audio and subtitle controls are not fully implemented into the gui just yet (such as menus controlling the audio streams and subtitle streams played), but they can easily be customized by configuring the XML manually."

I next checked the DvdAuthor manual which explains all the XML tags. It would take some time to figure out because the XML is all text based, but I think it could be done. You can of course select between your subtitles with the subtitle button on your remote without the menu.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 5th, '07, 16:07

malljclay wrote:Image

You need to create a new folder on your computer. You can use the WIndows Explorer, or just create one on your desktop. Then in the SimpleAvis2Dvd setup click on the button with the 3 dots next to "Output Directory" and point to your newly created directory.

malljclay

Post by malljclay » May 5th, '07, 17:13

kyuuketsuki wrote:
malljclay wrote:Image

You need to create a new folder on your computer. You can use the WIndows Explorer, or just create one on your desktop. Then in the SimpleAvis2Dvd setup click on the button with the 3 dots next to "Output Directory" and point to your newly created directory.
ok got it.
thx broh!

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 5th, '07, 17:46

kyuuketsuki, when i convert a movie on winavi, it makes appear 4 diferent vob files. To add on dvdauthorgui i need to add all the vob files but my subtitle is not divided in 4 parts. So i'm afraid that when i add the subtitles on some of the parts it dont play. Is there a way to combine all the vob files together as another vob?

Ahhh and i'm getting an error when i play the authored dvd on my table dvd player (on my computer dvd player it works fine), it says for me check the coding... so i think the dvd i'm making is turning to be not 'all region' or the menus still i'm creating are coming out as NTSC.

And when i convert a widescreen file, it was transformed on 4:3 size instead of just adding automaticly the black borders. PLus the selecting button's stroke (when playing the dvd) are not appearing on the place i configured them to appear...they are showing on the wrong place.

I saw on dvdauthorgui site that this might be happening because of ntsc/pal configuration.

Maybe it is, because although i leave the "ntsc" button selected when creating a mpv still. when i load the mpv i created it appears a message saying something like "this doesnt appear to be ntsc but opening anyway.

I tried to convert on photoshop the images to NTSC color (there's an option for that) but i'm still getting the same "this is not ntsc" message when loading the new image.

Is there a way i can fix these things?

kyuuketsuki wrote:
Rasckita wrote:@kyuuketsuki: is there a way to add menu for the subtitles using dvdauthor gui? :)
I checked the DvdAuthorGui web page and it says this,
"Extra audio and subtitle controls are not fully implemented into the gui just yet (such as menus controlling the audio streams and subtitle streams played), but they can easily be customized by configuring the XML manually."

I next checked the DvdAuthor manual which explains all the XML tags. It would take some time to figure out because the XML is all text based, but I think it could be done. You can of course select between your subtitles with the subtitle button on your remote without the menu.
Hi! I could manage to do the menu to chose subtitle on DVD Author Gui, here's how I done:

1) Made a menu for the subtitles
2) clicked to edit the menu
3) created the buttons
4) when editing the buttons:
4.1.) click the "advanced" option
4.2.) on the "action" part select the movie file.
4.3.) on the "subtitle stream" part select the subtitle (on mine it appeared named as "1") <-- this will make the movie play with subtitles. To create a button to make the film play with no subs, just select on the "subtitle stream" the option "off". In case you have other subtitle (just in case you want to add subtitles with different language), select the other subtitle on the "subtitle stream".

Optional: If you want, you can create a button which the action will lead you back from the subtitles menu to the main menu. :D
Attachments
Creating Subtitle Menu
Creating Subtitle Menu
subtitlesmenu.gif (86.15 KiB) Viewed 13408 times

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 6th, '07, 16:53

Rasckita wrote:kyuuketsuki, when i convert a movie on winavi, it makes appear 4 diferent vob files. To add on dvdauthorgui i need to add all the vob files but my subtitle is not divided in 4 parts. So i'm afraid that when i add the subtitles on some of the parts it dont play. Is there a way to combine all the vob files together as another vob?
I think you are trying to do 2 steps in 1. First, you have to convert your AVI to MPG. Then you author the MPGs and create the VOBs. Since you are outputting VOBs, you have already authored the DVD. I don't recommend using WinAvi because it doesn't handle the overscan problem and the quality is not great. But, if you want to use it, click on the "DVD" button, load your AVI, then where it says "Output Format", choose MPEG2. You will need to change your target format to 720 x 480 NTSC. This will give you a compliant MPG to load into DvdAuthorGui. However, you will still run into the overscan problem and your video will be strectched and cut off. Another thing to be careful of is when you create a DVD, WinAvi will automatically create subtitles for you.

As you have found out, it is possible to load VOBs into DvdAuthorGui. But, there is no standard way to split a VOB. Some DVDs split them into 1 GB chunks so in reality you can have a 4GB 2 hour movie that is split at random time intervals. My guess is that this is what is happening to you.

Rasckita wrote: Ahhh and i'm getting an error when i play the authored dvd on my table dvd player (on my computer dvd player it works fine), it says for me check the coding... so i think the dvd i'm making is turning to be not 'all region' or the menus still i'm creating are coming out as NTSC.

And when i convert a widescreen file, it was transformed on 4:3 size instead of just adding automaticly the black borders. PLus the selecting button's stroke (when playing the dvd) are not appearing on the place i configured them to appear...they are showing on the wrong place.

I saw on dvdauthorgui site that this might be happening because of ntsc/pal configuration.

Maybe it is, because although i leave the "ntsc" button selected when creating a mpv still. when i load the mpv i created it appears a message saying something like "this doesnt appear to be ntsc but opening anyway.

I tried to convert on photoshop the images to NTSC color (there's an option for that) but i'm still getting the same "this is not ntsc" message when loading the new image.

Is there a way i can fix these things?
I don't know a lot about WinAVI, but to convert to 720x480, they are probably just stretching or cropping the image so you won't be able to see the whole picture.

The option in Photoshop is to convert to NTSC color. It is good to use this so your colors look nice on your TV. Otherwise you can get bleeding etc. However, this will not make the image DVD compliant. Most likely it is not working for you because you are using a different resolution than 720x480. Make sure you output your photoshop image to 720x480 and then create your M2V still from this.
Rasckita wrote: Hi! I could manage to do the menu to chose subtitle on DVD Author Gui, here's how I done:

1) Made a menu for the subtitles
2) clicked to edit the menu
3) created the buttons
4) when editing the buttons:
4.1.) click the "advanced" option
4.2.) on the "action" part select the movie file.
4.3.) on the "subtitle stream" part select the subtitle (on mine it appeared named as "1") <-- this will make the movie play with subtitles. To create a button to make the film play with no subs, just select on the "subtitle stream" the option "off". In case you have other subtitle (just in case you want to add subtitles with different language), select the other subtitle on the "subtitle stream".

Optional: If you want, you can create a button which the action will lead you back from the subtitles menu to the main menu. :D
That is a wonderful menu that you have created. Do you mind if I add this to the tutorial? One question I do have though is what do you select for "action" when you hit the button? I can see it working if you can set it to pick a subtitle stream and use the action as going to the current menu. Then you'd also need another button to go to the main menu.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 7th, '07, 03:01

I think you are trying to do 2 steps in 1. First, you have to convert your AVI to MPG. Then you author the MPGs and create the VOBs. Since you are outputting VOBs, you have already authored the DVD. I don't recommend using WinAvi because it doesn't handle the overscan problem and the quality is not great. But, if you want to use it, click on the "DVD" button, load your AVI, then where it says "Output Format", choose MPEG2. You will need to change your target format to 720 x 480 NTSC. This will give you a compliant MPG to load into DvdAuthorGui. However, you will still run into the overscan problem and your video will be strectched and cut off. Another thing to be careful of is when you create a DVD, WinAvi will automatically create subtitles for you.
Ahhh so Dvdauthorgui converts to Vob???? I thought it only made the menus! :) About the subtitles, i found the option to turn it off when converting. Do you think winavi is that bad?? I heard very bad reviews of it on videohelp. I'm kinda new to these things but it converts really fast and always play on my dvd.

How do i demux the mpeg2 file? Ahhh And the coding to ntsc will only be made on the step with authorgui right??? Because i tried to find the option to change for ntsc during the mpg step and i couldnt find it.
As you have found out, it is possible to load VOBs into DvdAuthorGui. But, there is no standard way to split a VOB. Some DVDs split them into 1 GB chunks so in reality you can have a 4GB 2 hour movie that is split at random time intervals. My guess is that this is what is happening to you.
Yeah that's what was happening! :)
The option in Photoshop is to convert to NTSC color. It is good to use this so your colors look nice on your TV. Otherwise you can get bleeding etc. However, this will not make the image DVD compliant. Most likely it is not working for you because you are using a different resolution than 720x480. Make sure you output your photoshop image to 720x480 and then create your M2V still from this
I did that but it's still not creating NTSC m2v stills. :( It creates a M2v still but when i load it the "it's not ntsc m2v" message appear. :-( So when i burn the dvd, it doesnt play correctly on my DVD table player, it only plays on my Computer DVD. :-(
That is a wonderful menu that you have created. Do you mind if I add this to the tutorial? One question I do have though is what do you select for "action" when you hit the button? I can see it working if you can set it to pick a subtitle stream and use the action as going to the current menu. Then you'd also need another button to go to the main menu.
Feel free to add this on tutorial! :-)
You mean on the action box? I select the movie i want to play with subtitles. For example, when the "english" button i made on the subtitles menu is clicked, it will open the video with english subtitles directly. it wont stay like those normal dvds where you chose the subtitle you want and then you have to go back to the main menu and then click the "play film" button.
Making this steps i wrote on dvd author gui, when the subtitle is chosen it will play the movie with subtitles directly.

subtitle option button -> movie
and not
subtitle option button -> main menu -> movie

athida

Post by athida » May 7th, '07, 05:23

Hi thank you for this tutorial. It's great. I did my first dvd with the instructions here and it went fine and the quality is really nice. But I'm having an error with the second video. There's a mp2 file but the file size is 0. And dva file doesn't work. Here's the output from SimpleAvis2Dvd.log...

Sun May 06 12:32:08 2007:: Version 2.5 - 03/26/07
Sun May 06 12:35:20 2007:: Added File F:\Movies\Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru.avi: Frames 168428 Time 01:57:04
Sun May 06 12:35:48 2007:: Processing F:\Movies\Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru.avi
Sun May 06 12:35:48 2007:: Frame rate 23.976
Sun May 06 12:35:48 2007:: Pulldown Enabled
Sun May 06 12:35:48 2007:: 0=LanczosResize(656,352,0,0,640,352)
Sun May 06 12:35:48 2007:: 1=AddBorders(32,64,32,64)
Sun May 06 12:35:48 2007:: Creating D2S file for Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru
Sun May 06 12:35:48 2007:: Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru.mp2
Sun May 06 12:37:52 2007:: ERROR: Invalid File C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\My Documents\My DVDs\Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru.mp2
Sun May 06 12:37:52 2007:: Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru.mpv
Sun May 06 16:00:57 2007:: File C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\My Documents\My DVDs\Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru.mpv size 121853
Sun May 06 16:00:57 2007:: Renaming MPV, MPG
Sun May 06 16:00:57 2007::
Sun May 06 16:00:57 2007:: Creating C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\My Documents\My DVDs\SimpleAvis2Dvd.dva
Sun May 06 16:00:57 2007:: Conversion Complete

Can you help me solve this error? I'm a newbie at this and I don't know much about what's what. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 8th, '07, 01:04

Rasckita wrote: Ahhh so Dvdauthorgui converts to Vob???? I thought it only made the menus! :) About the subtitles, i found the option to turn it off when converting. Do you think winavi is that bad?? I heard very bad reviews of it on videohelp. I'm kinda new to these things but it converts really fast and always play on my dvd.
I don't really like WinAvi. They make you pay for things that you can get for free and produces better quality. It converts fast because the quality is not very good. Most applications will allow you to convert faster if you want less quality. I'm not sure how to import a menu into WinAvi or if it supports menus.

DvdAuthorGui will create the subtitles, menu, and DVD folders so you can burn to disc. Inside those folders will be the vob files.
Rasckita wrote: How do i demux the mpeg2 file? Ahhh And the coding to ntsc will only be made on the step with authorgui right??? Because i tried to find the option to change for ntsc during the mpg step and i couldnt find it.
If you want to still use WinAvi to do your conversion, you don't need to demux the MPG. Just load the MPGs directly into DvdAuthorGui after WinAvi is complete. You need to make sure the MPG is NTSC in WinAvi. After you load the AVI, select your output format as MPEG2. Then click the advanced button and change to NTSC 720x480.
Rasckita wrote:
The option in Photoshop is to convert to NTSC color. It is good to use this so your colors look nice on your TV. Otherwise you can get bleeding etc. However, this will not make the image DVD compliant. Most likely it is not working for you because you are using a different resolution than 720x480. Make sure you output your photoshop image to 720x480 and then create your M2V still from this
I did that but it's still not creating NTSC m2v stills. :( It creates a M2v still but when i load it the "it's not ntsc m2v" message appear. :-( So when i burn the dvd, it doesnt play correctly on my DVD table player, it only plays on my Computer DVD. :-(
Hmmmm. It should work and it should not be giving you that message. If you want to email it to me I could take a look at it. Make sure that you output a JPG.
Rasckita wrote: Feel free to add this on tutorial! :-)
You mean on the action box? I select the movie i want to play with subtitles. For example, when the "english" button i made on the subtitles menu is clicked, it will open the video with english subtitles directly. it wont stay like those normal dvds where you chose the subtitle you want and then you have to go back to the main menu and then click the "play film" button.
Making this steps i wrote on dvd author gui, when the subtitle is chosen it will play the movie with subtitles directly.

subtitle option button -> movie
and not
subtitle option button -> main menu -> movie
I will play around with it. I think it would be nice if there were a subtitles menu and it went back to the main menu after setting the subtitles.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 8th, '07, 01:07

athida wrote:Hi thank you for this tutorial. It's great. I did my first dvd with the instructions here and it went fine and the quality is really nice. But I'm having an error with the second video. There's a mp2 file but the file size is 0. And dva file doesn't work. Here's the output from SimpleAvis2Dvd.log...
Sun May 06 12:37:52 2007:: ERROR: Invalid File C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\My Documents\My DVDs\Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru.mp2

Can you help me solve this error? I'm a newbie at this and I don't know much about what's what. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance.
Check the FAQ at the end of the tutorial about fixing audio problems. Make sure you have installed VobInput.dll. Converting the AVI using VirtualDub will fix almost all audio problems.

Bunk

Quick thank you...

Post by Bunk » May 10th, '07, 00:57

Thank you soooo much for this tutorial. You truly are a guru in this field, and I'm grateful that you've done all the research for us so we don't have to! It's nice to find help from someone who has tried them all, and found which softwares work the best.

I've successfully made a 30 second trial dvd. The picture is gorgeous and the subtitles are perfect. Now to tackle a few episodes. I might have a question later on buttons and menus. If so I'll post.

Thank you so much. I actually read this entire thread to circumvent asking questions you've already answered. You are unbelievably patient with all of us, kyuuketsuki! Patient, knowledgeable, and mature.

Again, thank you for the tutorial, and for facilitating this whole process. :)

kyuuketsuki

Re: Quick thank you...

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 10th, '07, 14:07

Bunk wrote:Thank you soooo much for this tutorial. You truly are a guru in this field, and I'm grateful that you've done all the research for us so we don't have to! It's nice to find help from someone who has tried them all, and found which softwares work the best.

I've successfully made a 30 second trial dvd. The picture is gorgeous and the subtitles are perfect. Now to tackle a few episodes. I might have a question later on buttons and menus. If so I'll post.

Thank you so much. I actually read this entire thread to circumvent asking questions you've already answered. You are unbelievably patient with all of us, kyuuketsuki! Patient, knowledgeable, and mature.

Again, thank you for the tutorial, and for facilitating this whole process. :)
You're welcome. I'm happy to share the knowledge to make the process easier for other people.

Bunk

Post by Bunk » May 10th, '07, 17:56

Alas, questions!

I've downloaded the mpeg2 direct show filters from here: (both dscaler and gpl)

http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217 ... p=download

But when I go to load my menu, it keeps telling me that I don't have a mpeg2 directshow filter installed. I also installed the Directshow filter manager, but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with it...

update 5-11-07
I downloaded the ffdshow configuration software, and it no longer gives me the error message that I'm missing a filter.
Last edited by Bunk on May 11th, '07, 22:37, edited 2 times in total.

ivenxubi

Post by ivenxubi » May 10th, '07, 19:16

kyuuketsuki wrote:
ivenxubi wrote:

It's working for me with UAC turned off. I would try reinstalling it and make sure you install the VB runtime libraries when it asks you as part of the installation.
Well, it's good to know that it worked for you. When I installed DVDAuthorGUI, I did the full installation (VB runtimes, ect.) and the error occurs. I tried all sorts of installation (full, partial, compatibility mode with XP, etc.) and nothing works. The weird thing is if I turn on UAC, then the program will launch, but when I try saving a project, then the "path file/acess" error will pop up. By the way, I'm using Windows Vista Home Basic, which comes with the brand new computer. Can I ask which version of Vista are you using and is it downloaded or preinstalled?

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » May 10th, '07, 19:40

Hmmmm. It should work and it should not be giving you that message. If you want to email it to me I could take a look at it. Make sure that you output a JPG.
Hi kyuuketsuki!!
I find out what was the problem with my jpegs, i was resizing it randomly but then i tried to use the default 720x480NTSC template available on Photoshop and the mpvs worked fine. I did all the steps on your tutorial (including the conversion that i did on avis2dvd and not on winavi) and the dvd worked well. the movie and the menus played without freezing and the subtitles were very readable! :)
thank you very much for the tutorial and the help!! :thumright:

Bunk

one more thing!

Post by Bunk » May 11th, '07, 04:07

One more thing! I'm starting with a 4-episode series, because it's manageable for training myself on this. But SimpleAvis2Dvd is having a hard time with episode 2. IT's giving me the following error when creating the mpv for it.
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Processing C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD1-4 sub (complete)\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.avi
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Frame rate 29.970
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: 0=LanczosResize(656,352,0,0,640,352)
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: 1=AddBorders(32,64,32,64)
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Creating D2S file for Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mp2
Thu May 10 20:47:27 2007:: File C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mp2 size 86439360
Thu May 10 20:47:27 2007:: Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mpv
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: ERROR: Invalid File C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mpv
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: Renaming MPV, MPG
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007::
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: Creating C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\SimpleAvis2Dvd.dva
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: Conversion Complete
I tried it with both the original VBR audio and the rewritten CBR audio, from VirtualDub. Same error.
Is this something I can get past?

Looking for a solution, I hardsubbed episode 2 using Virtualdub,
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... w=previous

and am now encoding it into an mpeg, but the quality is bad. You were right about hardsubs having worse quality.
And Gui doesn't acknowledge mpegs, right? So I'd have to put my episode two on a separate dvd, since the other 3 are run through Simple using their softsubs.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 12th, '07, 03:45

Bunk wrote:Alas, questions!

I've downloaded the mpeg2 direct show filters from here: (both dscaler and gpl)

http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217 ... p=download

But when I go to load my menu, it keeps telling me that I don't have a mpeg2 directshow filter installed. I also installed the Directshow filter manager, but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with it...

update 5-11-07
I downloaded the ffdshow configuration software, and it no longer gives me the error message that I'm missing a filter.
Did you install the oggdirectshow filter as specifed in the tutorial?
Last edited by kyuuketsuki on May 12th, '07, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 12th, '07, 03:52

ivenxubi wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:
ivenxubi wrote:
Well, it's good to know that it worked for you. When I installed DVDAuthorGUI, I did the full installation (VB runtimes, ect.) and the error occurs. I tried all sorts of installation (full, partial, compatibility mode with XP, etc.) and nothing works. The weird thing is if I turn on UAC, then the program will launch, but when I try saving a project, then the "path file/acess" error will pop up. By the way, I'm using Windows Vista Home Basic, which comes with the brand new computer. Can I ask which version of Vista are you using and is it downloaded or preinstalled?
First off, I hate Windows Vista. I have had nothing but problems with it, so it doesn't surprise me that some things don't work for you. I have Windows Vista Home Premium installed from a disc.

Which version of DvdAuthorGui are you using? I am using 1.011 - 3/8/07.

kyuuketsuki

Re: one more thing!

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 12th, '07, 04:04

Bunk wrote:One more thing! I'm starting with a 4-episode series, because it's manageable for training myself on this. But SimpleAvis2Dvd is having a hard time with episode 2. IT's giving me the following error when creating the mpv for it.
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Processing C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD1-4 sub (complete)\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.avi
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Frame rate 29.970
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: 0=LanczosResize(656,352,0,0,640,352)
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: 1=AddBorders(32,64,32,64)
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Creating D2S file for Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT
Thu May 10 20:43:41 2007:: Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mp2
Thu May 10 20:47:27 2007:: File C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mp2 size 86439360
Thu May 10 20:47:27 2007:: Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mpv
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: ERROR: Invalid File C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mpv
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: Renaming MPV, MPG
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007::
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: Creating C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\SimpleAvis2Dvd.dva
Thu May 10 20:47:58 2007:: Conversion Complete
I tried it with both the original VBR audio and the rewritten CBR audio, from VirtualDub. Same error.
Is this something I can get past?

Looking for a solution, I hardsubbed episode 2 using Virtualdub,
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... w=previous

and am now encoding it into an mpeg, but the quality is bad. You were right about hardsubs having worse quality.
And Gui doesn't acknowledge mpegs, right? So I'd have to put my episode two on a separate dvd, since the other 3 are run through Simple using their softsubs.
Converting in Virtual Dub with CBR will only fix audio problems with the MP2. If you are getting an error with the MPV it is usually a codec problem. The first thing I would do is check the dvd2svcd log file to see what it says about the video conversion. If you post or email it to me I can look at it.

An MPG file is just an MP2 + MPV put together. You can load an MPG or an MPV+MP2 into DvdAuthorGui, so you can get them all on 1 dvd. As long as your episode 2 is not too big, you can get them all on 1 DVD. I wouldn't recommend it though. I would try to figure out what is wrong with episode 2. I have never had to use any other program than what I have in the tutorial, so I know it is possible.

Bunk

Post by Bunk » May 12th, '07, 04:42

Converting in Virtual Dub with CBR will only fix audio problems with the MP2. If you are getting an error with the MPV it is usually a codec problem. The first thing I would do is check the dvd2svcd log file to see what it says about the video conversion. If you post or email it to me I can look at it.

I think this is it. My recycle bin is full of failed attempts. :P I've run it so many times already trying to figure out what's wrong with my episode 2.

--------------------------------------------------------
- 5/10/2007 8:47:32 PM
- AVI to SVCD Conversion
- AVI2DVD ver. 1.2.3 build 1
Initializing
-
Initializing finished.

- 5/10/2007 8:47:32 PM
- Free on drive C: 17376.59 mb
- Restarting from: Video encoding
- 5/10/2007 8:47:34 PM
- Free on drive C: 17376.56 mb
- Video Encoding using TMPGEnc
- Encoding C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\AviSynth_Script_file.avs
StreamSectors: 1043445788
AudioSectors: 87665928
VideoPAPO: 14805540
ScanOffsetBytes: 83270
SeqAligningBytes: 5292258
DVDBytes: 0
VideoEndHeader: 4
SubtitleSectors: 0
EmptySectors: 238.00
PictureSectors: 0.00
PureMPEGStream: 935598787.80
Seconds: 3089.15
CalcMPEGStream: 935598787.80
Frames: 92522
CDSize: 1000.00
Number of CDs: 1
Cut point 996.00
Max. Bitrate: 8000
Avg. Bitrate: 2422.93
Min. Bitrate: 2000
Executing TMPGEnc. Commandline:
"C:\Program Files\Pegasys Inc\TMPGEnc Plus 2.5\TMPGEnc.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\TMPGEnc_Project_file.tpr" /Encode /Close
Video Encoding finished.

- 5/10/2007 8:47:50 PM
- Free on drive C: 17376.55 mb
- Multiplexing Audio and Video
Executing MPlex. Commandline:
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mp2"
- 5/10/2007 8:47:52 PM
- Determining length of audio
Analyzing finished.

Image creation finished.

- 5/10/2007 8:47:57 PM
- Conversion done!
- 5/11/2007 2:26:22 PM
- AVI to SVCD Conversion
Initializing
-
Initializing finished.

- 5/11/2007 2:26:23 PM
- Free on drive C: 18381.97 mb
- 5/11/2007 2:26:25 PM
- Free on drive C: 18381.95 mb
- Encoding C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\AviSynth_Script_file.avs
Cut point 996.00
"C:\Program Files\Pegasys Inc\TMPGEnc Plus 2.5\TMPGEnc.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\TMPGEnc_Project_file.tpr" /Encode /Close
Video Encoding finished.

- 5/11/2007 3:05:30 PM
- Free on drive C: 18381.93 mb
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends2.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends2.mp2"
- 5/11/2007 3:05:33 PM
Analyzing finished.

Image creation finished.

- 5/11/2007 3:05:38 PM
- Conversion done!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 12th, '07, 13:48

Bunk wrote: I think this is it. My recycle bin is full of failed attempts. :P I've run it so many times already trying to figure out what's wrong with my episode 2.
Hmmm. It looks like everything worked, so it should not be reporting an error.

Can you do me a favor? Clean your output directory, or just rename it and create a new one so you don't lose any of your old converted files. Then load only your episode 2 into SimpleAvis2Dvd. Set the episode size to 1000 and run it.

When it's done, send or post me your dvd2svcd log file and your SimpleAvis2Dvd log file. Also check to see if there is an MP2, MPV, and MPG in your output directory and see what the file sizes are.

Also I am surprised that you were getting the errors about the direct show filter. Did you install the Ogg Direct Show filter from the tutorial setup?

TIA

Bunk

Post by Bunk » May 12th, '07, 20:55

Can you do me a favor? Clean your output directory, or just rename it and create a new one so you don't lose any of your old converted files. Then load only your episode 2 into SimpleAvis2Dvd. Set the episode size to 1000 and run it.

When it's done, send or post me your dvd2svcd log file and your SimpleAvis2Dvd log file. Also check to see if there is an MP2, MPV, and MPG in your output directory and see what the file sizes are.

Also I am surprised that you were getting the errors about the direct show filter. Did you install the Ogg Direct Show filter from the tutorial setup?
It's rerunning. I'm using Tmpgenc, and each episode seems to take about 6 hours to encode. I'll post the log as soon as it's done.

To give you more details as to what happened, the first time I ran 4 episodes through Simple at once. I noticed that episode 2 was essentially skipped. I looked later in the output directory, and no mpeg file was created for episode 2. Not only that, but the corresponding mpv file showed 0 KB.

So I ran episode 2 by itself. Same thing. 0KB for the mpv file.

Can I ask a quick question while we're waiting? How do I tweak the author file for GUI so that it recognizes adjustments made to the original batch?

Example: After GUI wouldn't recognize episode 2, I tried GUI authoring just episodes 1, 3 & 4 (so I could see how they turned out on dvd) - but it stopped and said it couldn't continue because there should have been four titles. Not three. Then I tried it by uploading the titles individually, instead of loading project, and removed everything but the mpv and mp2 from the output directory. But ofcourse that left me without a menu nor subtitles. :P It would probably help if I knew which file was the authoring file and how to manipulate it so I could encode episodes separately.

And yes, I had the Ogg filter installed.

Bunk

Post by Bunk » May 13th, '07, 02:58

Well, Simple created the mpv for episode 2 this time. I even put it to dvd and it is beautiful, subtitles and all. It's so intermittent! Maybe it's my computer.

When working with the menu, however, it's still telling me that I don't have an mpeg2 directshow filter installed. I just downloaded powerdvd, too. What's weird, though, is sometimes it DOES load. For example, I just used the episode mpv as a menu background, and the menu manager loaded it fine.

Then I tried to do it again, and it gave me the filter error message. I don't know what changed. It's hit and miss, more often miss. I wonder if my computer is overloaded with software. Do you think it might be my firewall software? I blocked internet access on some of the recent softwares I downloaded for this... I even uninstsalled gui and reinstalled it. I'm stumped.

And I realized I can edit the XML to juggle non-batch titles in. I could just copy and paste, and see where the specifics are. That's the only way to encode individually and lump them all together in Gui, right? So that they recognize the subtitles?
(I have a perfect mpv and mp2 for Episode 2, and don't want to spend another 6 hours recreating it within a neat little batch!)

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 13th, '07, 14:39

Bunk wrote:Can I ask a quick question while we're waiting? How do I tweak the author file for GUI so that it recognizes adjustments made to the original batch?

Example: After GUI wouldn't recognize episode 2, I tried GUI authoring just episodes 1, 3 & 4 (so I could see how they turned out on dvd) - but it stopped and said it couldn't continue because there should have been four titles. Not three. Then I tried it by uploading the titles individually, instead of loading project, and removed everything but the mpv and mp2 from the output directory. But ofcourse that left me without a menu nor subtitles. :P It would probably help if I knew which file was the authoring file and how to manipulate it so I could encode episodes separately.
The easiest thing to do is just load your AVIs into SimpleAvis2Dvd and create a new project file. So for you, load episodes 1, 3, and 4. Then click Dvd/Create DvdAuthorGui Project. Then you can edit it how you want from there.
Bunk wrote: Well, Simple created the mpv for episode 2 this time. I even put it to dvd and it is beautiful, subtitles and all. It's so intermittent! Maybe it's my computer.
It is strange. It really should work the same every time. It could be that you are running some programs in the background that are affecting it somehow. If it happens again, check to see what the size of the MPV is that it is complaining about. Also, the dvd2svcd log file will almost always report a problem if something happened with the encoding.
Bunk wrote: When working with the menu, however, it's still telling me that I don't have an mpeg2 directshow filter installed. I just downloaded powerdvd, too. What's weird, though, is sometimes it DOES load. For example, I just used the episode mpv as a menu background, and the menu manager loaded it fine.

Then I tried to do it again, and it gave me the filter error message. I don't know what changed. It's hit and miss, more often miss. I wonder if my computer is overloaded with software. Do you think it might be my firewall software? I blocked internet access on some of the recent softwares I downloaded for this... I even uninstsalled gui and reinstalled it. I'm stumped.

And I realized I can edit the XML to juggle non-batch titles in. I could just copy and paste, and see where the specifics are. That's the only way to encode individually and lump them all together in Gui, right? So that they recognize the subtitles?
(I have a perfect mpv and mp2 for Episode 2, and don't want to spend another 6 hours recreating it within a neat little batch!)
What exactly are you trying to do when it gives you the error about the direct show filter? I have never seen it, so I wonder if you are doing something I have not tried. I do have PowerDvd installed.

As a rule, I never let any program access the internet unless it is essential. My browser and the default win32 services are about the only things I will let in. I am also especially careful when any programs wants to access the net as a server. Almost all programs don't need internet access to work properly and very rare that it needs to be run as a server. So, I think you are absolutely doing the right thing by blocking access with your firewall.

I have never used the XML. I think you can do all kinds of neat things with it, but I have never had a need to modify it. Since you have all 4 of your episodes now, I would recommend just copying the new working episode 2 MPV and MP2 into the directory with the other 3 episodes. Then load your 4 AVIs into SimpleAvis2Dvd and click Dvd/Create DvdAuthorGui Project.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 13th, '07, 18:05

Rasckita, I created a DVD with adding a menu for subtitles and it seems to work fine, so I added your picture to the tutorial. Thanks!

Bunk

Post by Bunk » May 14th, '07, 08:19

It is strange. It really should work the same every time. It could be that you are running some programs in the background that are affecting it somehow. If it happens again, check to see what the size of the MPV is that it is complaining about. Also, the dvd2svcd log file will almost always report a problem if something happened with the encoding
I had to rerun episodes 1, 3&4 because I deleted the original batch. And while I was at it, I threw episode 2 in there to see what would happen. The mpv for ep 2 got skipped again while I was out of the house, so nothing else was running on the computer at the time. Here's the dvd2svcd log. There were 3 output files for episode 2.
The mp2 - 84,414 KB
The mpv - 0 KB
the ds2 - 4 KB
- 5/13/2007 8:03:31 AM
- AVI to SVCD Conversion
Initializing
-
Initializing finished.

- 5/13/2007 8:03:31 AM
- Free on drive C: 19393.62 mb
- 5/13/2007 8:03:34 AM
- Free on drive C: 19393.60 mb
AudioSectors: 95597740
VideoPAPO: 14682672
ScanOffsetBytes: 90807
SeqAligningBytes: 5771308
PureMPEGStream: 927303256.30
Seconds: 3368.60
CalcMPEGStream: 927303256.30
Frames: 100897
Cut point 996.00
Avg. Bitrate: 2202.23
Video Encoding finished.

- 5/13/2007 1:46:05 PM
- Free on drive C: 18568.08 mb
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD1_WCT.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD1_WCT.mp2"
- 5/13/2007 1:48:42 PM
- Free on drive C: 17616.57 mb
Analyzing: C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg
3364.743 seconds C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg
Analyzing finished.

Image creation finished.

- 5/13/2007 1:49:19 PM
- Free on drive C: 17616.56 mb
- Conversion done!
- 5/13/2007 1:53:33 PM
- AVI to SVCD Conversion
Initializing
-
Initializing finished.

- 5/13/2007 1:53:33 PM
- Free on drive C: 17534.07 mb
- 5/13/2007 1:53:39 PM
- Free on drive C: 17534.06 mb
Cut point 996.00
Video Encoding finished.

- 5/13/2007 1:54:04 PM
- Free on drive C: 17534.05 mb
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD2_WCT.mp2"
- 5/13/2007 1:54:07 PM
Analyzing finished.

Image creation finished.

- 5/13/2007 1:54:12 PM
- Conversion done!
- 5/13/2007 1:58:04 PM
- AVI to SVCD Conversion
Initializing
-
Initializing finished.

- 5/13/2007 1:58:04 PM
- Free on drive C: 17448.81 mb
- 5/13/2007 1:58:08 PM
- Free on drive C: 17448.79 mb
AudioSectors: 90694100
VideoPAPO: 14758632
ScanOffsetBytes: 86148
SeqAligningBytes: 5475184
PureMPEGStream: 932431720.00
Seconds: 3195.86
CalcMPEGStream: 932431720.00
Frames: 95720
Cut point 996.00
Avg. Bitrate: 2334.10
Video Encoding finished.

- 5/13/2007 7:18:46 PM
- Free on drive C: 16643.29 mb
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD3_WCT.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD3_WCT.mp2"
- 5/13/2007 7:21:13 PM
- Free on drive C: 15719.09 mb
Analyzing: C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg
3191.600 seconds C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg
Analyzing finished.

Image creation finished.

- 5/13/2007 7:21:56 PM
- Free on drive C: 15719.09 mb
- Conversion done!
- 5/13/2007 7:26:16 PM
- AVI to SVCD Conversion
Initializing
-
Initializing finished.

- 5/13/2007 7:26:16 PM
- Free on drive C: 15631.98 mb
- 5/13/2007 7:26:20 PM
- Free on drive C: 15631.97 mb
AudioSectors: 92636964
VideoPAPO: 14728536
ScanOffsetBytes: 87994
SeqAligningBytes: 5592501
PureMPEGStream: 930399788.90
Seconds: 3264.30
CalcMPEGStream: 930399788.90
Frames: 97771
Cut point 996.00
Avg. Bitrate: 2280.19
Video Encoding finished.

- 5/14/2007 12:40:20 AM
- Free on drive C: 14832.37 mb
"C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe" -f 8 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD4_WCT.mpv" "C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\Friends.2002.DVDRip.Divx.CD4_WCT.mp2"
- 5/14/2007 12:42:44 AM
- Free on drive C: 13910.89 mb
3260.685 seconds C:\Documents and Settings\Lori\My Documents\Anime Downloads\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg
Analyzing finished.

Image creation finished.

- 5/14/2007 12:43:18 AM
- Free on drive C: 13910.89 mb
- Conversion done!
Any ideas?

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » May 14th, '07, 21:29

Hello Kyuuketsuki

I have a few avi's that has the following audio:
0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3

I'm not sure which codecs to install. I searched for the codecs and there are:

ac3file and ac3filter, etc.

I would appreciate very much if you can direct me to a couple of sites to download this audio codec. I loaded the avi into GSpot and it's said codec is installed but DVD2SVCD will not encode, I get a decompress error.

Thank you.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 15th, '07, 02:26

Bunk wrote: I had to rerun episodes 1, 3&4 because I deleted the original batch. And while I was at it, I threw episode 2 in there to see what would happen. The mpv for ep 2 got skipped again while I was out of the house, so nothing else was running on the computer at the time. Here's the dvd2svcd log. There were 3 output files for episode 2.
The mp2 - 84,414 KB
The mpv - 0 KB
the ds2 - 4 KB
From the log, it is definitely not encoding episode 2.

I just remembered something about TmpegEnc. It uses different VFAPI plugins. First make sure that your AVI can be played in Windows Media Player. Then open up Tmpgenc. Click Options/Environmental Setting/VFAPI plug-in. Right clikc on Direct Show Multimedia File Reader and change the priority until it is at the top of the list by itself.

Try it again and see if it works.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 15th, '07, 02:34

kht2015 wrote:Hello Kyuuketsuki

0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3

I would appreciate very much if you can direct me to a couple of sites to download this audio codec. I loaded the avi into GSpot and it's said codec is installed but DVD2SVCD will not encode, I get a decompress error.

Thank you.
Either of those should be fine. You can get the AC3 codec here http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm.

Bankai
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Bankai » May 17th, '07, 10:29

I followed your guide, and I keep getting this error in the log file:
Thu May 17 20:08:54 2007:: ERROR: Invalid File D:\video file.mpv
Any idea what's happening?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 18th, '07, 03:26

Bankai wrote:I followed your guide, and I keep getting this error in the log file:
Check the FAQ at the end of the tutorial on video problems. If you still can't fix it, then post or email me your log files.

himeko

Post by himeko » May 22nd, '07, 06:05

first of all, thanks for your guide!

i tried to use it today, and followed your instructions. up to the encoding part, the black screen would popup to being encoding my videos. i only get up to the transcoding part, but while it is transcoding, my avi2dvd program stops responding and i have to shut it down. then another dvd2svcd window would come up.. i just don't understand why. during the encoding process, i imagine the avi2dvd log window should be filling up with words, but it doesn't..

then i gave up on this, and tried to use plain tmpgenc to convert, without all these other programs in between - and would get an error message and close down every time i try to browse for a video file with .srt subtitles :cussing:

does this have anything to do with the fact that i have downloaded k-lite codec pack? i rmbr you said codec packs aren't as good..

i am using windows vista on my laptop. i tried to use your tutorial on my desktop computer with windows xp, and the avi2dvd program would freeze again at the same spot.

please help !! thanks in advance!!

Bankai
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Bankai » May 22nd, '07, 07:05

kyuuketsuki wrote:
Bankai wrote:I followed your guide, and I keep getting this error in the log file:
Check the FAQ at the end of the tutorial on video problems. If you still can't fix it, then post or email me your log files.
I tried what the FAQ said, and it still doesn't encode properly. I'm posting my logfiles here.
Attachments
MPlex_log.txt
(171 Bytes) Downloaded 424 times
dvd2svcd_log.txt
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
SimpleAvis2Dvd.txt
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 401 times

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 22nd, '07, 14:28

himeko wrote:first of all, thanks for your guide!

i tried to use it today, and followed your instructions. up to the encoding part, the black screen would popup to being encoding my videos. i only get up to the transcoding part, but while it is transcoding, my avi2dvd program stops responding and i have to shut it down. then another dvd2svcd window would come up.. i just don't understand why. during the encoding process, i imagine the avi2dvd log window should be filling up with words, but it doesn't..

then i gave up on this, and tried to use plain tmpgenc to convert, without all these other programs in between - and would get an error message and close down every time i try to browse for a video file with .srt subtitles :cussing:

does this have anything to do with the fact that i have downloaded k-lite codec pack? i rmbr you said codec packs aren't as good..

i am using windows vista on my laptop. i tried to use your tutorial on my desktop computer with windows xp, and the avi2dvd program would freeze again at the same spot.

Without getting too technical, even though Windows says SimpleAvis2Dvd has stopped responding, it hasn't. It's just waiting for dvd2svcd to finish. Depending on the length of your video, it will take a few hours to encode. I would recommend making a short video clip for testing, or grab a sandwich and coffee and come back in a few hours. It should all be done.
Last edited by kyuuketsuki on May 22nd, '07, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 22nd, '07, 14:39

Bankai wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:
I tried what the FAQ said, and it still doesn't encode properly. I'm posting my logfiles here.
ok, from the log file, we can see that the encoding took about 2 minutes. It should take a few hours.
log wrote: --------------------------------------------------------
- 18/05/2007 8:18:53 PM
- Free on drive D: 10690.93 mb
- Video Encoding using QuEnc
- 18/05/2007 8:19:55 PM
- Conversion done!
This is almost always because of a codec problem. Download gspot and check to make sure that you have the correct codec for that video. If you have more than one installed, then there is a conflict and you will have to disable one. First thing to do is check the FOURCC and codecs from gspot.

himeko

Post by himeko » May 23rd, '07, 02:41

kyuuketsuki wrote:

Without getting too technical, even though Windows says SimpleAvis2Dvd has stopped responding, it hasn't. It's just waiting for dvd2svcd to finish. Depending on the length of your video, it will take a few hours to encode. I would recommend making a short video clip for testing, or grab a sandwich and coffee and come back in a few hours. It should all be done.
I tried it again today with a short clip and same thing happened.
When I download the DVD2SVCD software bundle, am i supposed to download the 'D2SRoBa 3.80 also? (I'm using TMpgenc to encode). I also download avisynth.
So I tried it with and without downloading the D2SRoBa, and I have also tried using avisynth 2.0 instead of 2.5, and the same error occurs no matter what:

- after the black screen pops up to transcode, it will disappear when it's done transcoding
- the DVD2SVCD window popups (the intro one that says "if this is the first time you use DVD2SVCD..." etc., and when i close it, a new DVD2SVCD program window will popup
- "the MADPlay.exe file does not exist", and i click ok, and the DVD2SVCD program will then be tabbed to the 'audio' section.

Even if i try locating the madplay.exe file (which i do have!), it doesn't work, and ends up freezing.

Please help! I swear I'm not a n00b.. I've encoded files to watch as a VCD format before, but I don't know why this program acts up on me like this....

Here is the simple avi2dvd log in case you're interested:

"version 2.5 - 03/26/07
added file "file title here"
processing "file title here"
Frame rate 29.971
Error! Cannot find vstrip folder!
Error! Cannot find DGIndex folder!
Error! Cannot find Audio folder!
Error! Cannot find CCE folder!
Error! Cannot find pulldown folder!
Error! Cannot find Subpictures folder!
Error! Cannot find bbMPEG folder!
Error! Cannot find I-author folder!
Error! Cannot find PVA folder!
Error! Cannot find TMPGenc folder!
Error! Cannot find Procoder folder!
Error! Cannot find Quenc folder!
Error! Cannot find UseMPEG=!
Error! Cannot find UseDVD=!
0=LanczosResize(....
etc.

Thanks so much !!

Bankai
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Bankai » May 23rd, '07, 07:11

kyuuketsuki wrote:
Bankai wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:
ok, from the log file, we can see that the encoding took about 2 minutes. It should take a few hours.
- Conversion done!
This is almost always because of a codec problem. Download gspot and check to make sure that you have the correct codec for that video. If you have more than one installed, then there is a conflict and you will have to disable one. First thing to do is check the FOURCC and codecs from gspot.
I've checked all my codecs and codec packs and unfortunately I believe it isn't a codec clash since I've only been using XviD to decode the video (the FourCC is XVID). Are there any other possible reasons for why this is happening?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 23rd, '07, 14:17

himeko wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:

When I download the DVD2SVCD software bundle, am i supposed to download the 'D2SRoBa 3.80 also? (I'm using TMpgenc to encode). I also download avisynth.
So I tried it with and without downloading the D2SRoBa, and I have also tried using avisynth 2.0 instead of 2.5, and the same error occurs no matter what:

- after the black screen pops up to transcode, it will disappear when it's done transcoding
- the DVD2SVCD window popups (the intro one that says "if this is the first time you use DVD2SVCD..." etc., and when i close it, a new DVD2SVCD program window will popup
- "the MADPlay.exe file does not exist", and i click ok, and the DVD2SVCD program will then be tabbed to the 'audio' section.

Even if i try locating the madplay.exe file (which i do have!), it doesn't work, and ends up freezing.

Please help! I swear I'm not a n00b.. I've encoded files to watch as a VCD format before, but I don't know why this program acts up on me like this....

"version 2.5 - 03/26/07
Frame rate 29.971
0=LanczosResize(....
etc.

Thanks so much !!
You don't need to download avisynth since it is part of the dvd2svcd installation.

I think there is an easy fix for this. Uninstall dvd2svcd, then reinstall it without choosing D2SRoBa. Then choose the settings again as in the tutorial (set your encoder and AVI input, and DVD output). Make sure that you have the vobinput.dll in the BeSweet folder. Then open up dvd2svcd just to make sure that the folders are set up properly.

Now, make sure that the path in SimpleAvis2Dvd's setup is pointing to the dvd2svcd folder. It should be C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD.

Let me know if it still doesn't work.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 23rd, '07, 14:52

Bankai wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:
Bankai wrote: I tried what the FAQ said, and it still doesn't encode properly. I'm posting my logfiles here.
- Conversion done!
I've checked all my codecs and codec packs and unfortunately I believe it isn't a codec clash since I've only been using XviD to decode the video (the FourCC is XVID). Are there any other possible reasons for why this is happening?
I still think it might be a codec problem, especially since it is XVID. There are so many different types of xvid codecs that this usually causes a problem. Koepi's XVID is the only one that I have been able to use consistently. Anyway, there are a few things we can do. (I should probably add this to the FAQ)

1. Try a different AVI with a FOURCC of DIVX - I can't ever recall having a codec problem with a DIVX AVI because there is only 1 company that writes the DIVX software. If this works, then we know that there is not a problem with your conversion setup. If you can't find a DIVX AVI, then email me and I will send you one.

2. Email me a short clip of the AVI that you are trying to convert. If I can convert it, then we know it is something with your setup and we need to find out what it is. If I can't convert it, I will be able to tell you why and how to fix it.

3. Disable all your XVID codecs and enable them 1 at a time - Disable all of them and try and play the file with windows media player. If you can play the file, then it means you have not disabled them all. Now enable them 1 at a time and try to convert a test clip with SimpleAvis2Dvd.

himeko

Post by himeko » May 23rd, '07, 19:01

kyuuketsuki wrote:
himeko wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:

"version 2.5 - 03/26/07
Frame rate 29.971
0=LanczosResize(....
etc.

Thanks so much !!
You don't need to download avisynth since it is part of the dvd2svcd installation.

I think there is an easy fix for this. Uninstall dvd2svcd, then reinstall it without choosing D2SRoBa. Then choose the settings again as in the tutorial (set your encoder and AVI input, and DVD output). Make sure that you have the vobinput.dll in the BeSweet folder. Then open up dvd2svcd just to make sure that the folders are set up properly.

Now, make sure that the path in SimpleAvis2Dvd's setup is pointing to the dvd2svcd folder. It should be C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD.

Let me know if it still doesn't work.
I know avisynth is part of it - i just tried the previous version just in case it would work, but same problem occurs. So I have downloaded the avisynth that comes with the dvd2svcd package (version 2.5).

I have followed all the above instructions, as before - first tried it without choosing dvsroba, uninstalled, then installed with dvsroba, etc. I've installed and uninstalled with all combinations of the above >< All this is done while making sure vobinput is in the BeSweet folder. And all path directories is correctly setup.

Please help, and thanks once again!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 23rd, '07, 20:30

himeko wrote:I know avisynth is part of it - i just tried the previous version just in case it would work, but same problem occurs. So I have downloaded the avisynth that comes with the dvd2svcd package (version 2.5).

I have followed all the above instructions, as before - first tried it without choosing dvsroba, uninstalled, then installed with dvsroba, etc. I've installed and uninstalled with all combinations of the above >< All this is done while making sure vobinput is in the BeSweet folder. And all path directories is correctly setup.

Very strange. Can you email me your SimpleAvis2Dvd log file? I will look at it and I will send you a new version of SimpleAvis2Dvd that will tell exactly why it can't find the paths that you set up.

Thanks.

lilpig

Post by lilpig » May 23rd, '07, 21:32

i'm trying this for the first time and getting fustrated. i got to the dvdauthorgui part and an error occurs. it says:

DVDAuthorGUI 1.013 - 5/16/2007
Send problems with DVDAuthorGUI to liquid_217@hotmail.com
***please wait while the titles are multiplexed.
*multiplexing title: 1.....
INFO: [???] mplex version 2.0.0 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
**ERROR: [???] Unable to read from D:\Ki Na File\final\The Restless.mpv.
*authoring title(s).....

Process aborted due to above error
There was an unknown error. Please review the log for more information.

what do i do? please help. i'm so confuse and i'm only trying to burn one file. help

himeko

Post by himeko » May 24th, '07, 04:31

kyuuketsuki wrote:
himeko wrote:I know avisynth is part of it - i just tried the previous version just in case it would work, but same problem occurs. So I have downloaded the avisynth that comes with the dvd2svcd package (version 2.5).

Very strange. Can you email me your SimpleAvis2Dvd log file? I will look at it and I will send you a new version of SimpleAvis2Dvd that will tell exactly why it can't find the paths that you set up.

Thanks.
thanks very much! a bit embarrasing perhaps this question haha but where i can find the avi2dvd log file? i can only see my dvd2svcd log file from my c:; what's it called for avi2dvd?
the ones that i can see for avi2dvd are:
simpleavis2dvd - just a text doc with the version number
resample audio - again just a short text
avisynth - config setting
avisynth script file - short text doc

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 24th, '07, 22:43

lilpig wrote:i'm trying this for the first time and getting fustrated. i got to the dvdauthorgui part and an error occurs. it says:

DVDAuthorGUI 1.013 - 5/16/2007
Send problems with DVDAuthorGUI to liquid_217@hotmail.com
***please wait while the titles are multiplexed.
*multiplexing title: 1.....
INFO: [???] mplex version 2.0.0 (2.2.3 $Date: 2004/01/13 20:45:26 $)
**ERROR: [???] Unable to read from D:\Ki Na File\final\The Restless.mpv.
*authoring title(s).....

Process aborted due to above error
There was an unknown error. Please review the log for more information.

what do i do? please help. i'm so confuse and i'm only trying to burn one file. help
See if you have the file "D:\Ki Na File\final\The Restless.mpv".
Also post your SimpleAvis2Dvd and Dvd2svcd log files.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 24th, '07, 22:48

himeko wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:

Thanks.
thanks very much! a bit embarrasing perhaps this question haha but where i can find the avi2dvd log file? i can only see my dvd2svcd log file from my c:; what's it called for avi2dvd?
the ones that i can see for avi2dvd are:
simpleavis2dvd - just a text doc with the version number
resample audio - again just a short text
avisynth - config setting
avisynth script file - short text doc
You said you were getting these errors

These should be reported in the file SimpleAvis2Dvd.log.
Make sure to load your AVI up again and hit "Go" so it records all the errors, then send it to me. Also send me this file "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\dvd2svcd.ini"

Thanks

himeko

Post by himeko » May 25th, '07, 06:22

today i tried uninstalling everything again and reinstalling all the programs, set it up again, etc
again, the transcoding screen would disappear, this time i got an error, saying it cannot find the CCE program.. then another new dvd2svcd window would open up, and avi2dvd program will freeze. but i specifically selected tmpgenc, and located it too, so i have no idea why it's asking me for CCE program... O__O
even though i did a search, i for some reason do not have a avi2dvd log file.. perhaps it is because the program freezes, and i always have to go to task manager to shut it down..

i will attach my dvd2svcd log instead for you, so hope you can help me with those, thanks very much!

dvd2svcd.ini.temp contents (can't upload):
[Settings]
XPos=0
YPos=0
UseDVDRip=0
UsevStrip=0
UseInternalRip=1
FirstRun=0
New Default Folder=1
Eject DVD=0
Reload DVD=0
UseMPEG1=0
UseMPEG2=0
UseDVD=1
NoBanner=0
DonationPic=2

[Executables]
vStrip Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\vStrip\vStrip.exe
DGIndex Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\dgindex\dgindex.exe
SubMux Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\WinSubMux\WinSubMux.exe
Pulldown Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\pulldown\pulldown.exe
BeSweet Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe
MPEG51 Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\MPEG5.1\pub_enc.exe
bbMPEG Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\bbMPEG\RunbbMPEG.exe
VCDImager Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\VCDImager\VCDImager.exe
VCDXBuild Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\VCDImager\VCDXBuild.exe
Title Picture=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DefaultTitlepicture.bmp
Change CD Picture=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DefaultChangeCD.bmp
Last CD Picture=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DefaultLastCD.bmp
PVA Executable=
CDMage Executable=
RunPerCDImage Executable=
RunFinal Executable=
VFAPI Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\VFAPI\Reader\VFAPIConv-EN.exe
ProCoder Frameserver Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\VFAPI\Reader\VFAPIConv-EN.exe
MADPlay Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\MADPlay\madplay.exe
DVDMplex Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mplex.exe
DVDSpuMux Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\spumux.exe
DVDAuthor Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\dvdauthor.exe
MkIsoFs Executable=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\mkisofs.exe
AVS2.5 DGDecode DLL=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\dgindex\DGDecode.dll
AVS2.5 Dividee MPEG2Dec=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Avisynth2.5 Plugins\Mpeg2dec\mpeg2dec.dll
AVS2.5 InverseTelecine DLL=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Avisynth2.5 Plugins\InverseTelecine\decomb.dll
AVS2.5 Subtitle DLL=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Avisynth2.5 Plugins\Avisynth Subtitler.dll
AVS2.5 BMP Loader DLL=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Avisynth2.5 Plugins\Avisynth BMP Loader.dll
AVS2.5 SimpleResize DLL=C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\Avisynth2.5 Plugins\SimpleResize\SimpleResize.dll
CCE Executable=
QuEnc Executable=
TMPGEnc Executable=C:\Program Files\TmpGenc\TMPGEnc.exe
ProCoder Executable=
I-Author Executable=
Scenarist Executable=

[Folders]
vStrip Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
DGIndex Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
Audio Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
CCE Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
Pulldown Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
Subpictures Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
bbMPEG Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
I-Author Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
PVA Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
TMPGEnc Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
ProCoder Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
QuEnc Folder=C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos
edit: alright so i tried it again (just for the heck of it) with a short MV vid (no subtitle file so ignore that), and i think i found the simpleavis2dvd log now, so here it is:
Wed May 23 22:32:08 2007:: Version 2.5 - 03/26/07
Thu May 24 23:58:00 2007:: Version 2.5 - 03/26/07
Thu May 24 23:59:38 2007:: Version 2.5 - 03/26/07
Fri May 25 00:00:35 2007:: Added File C:\Downloads\nodame_cantabile_ep01(D-CX_704x396_DivX6).avi: Frames 103997 Time 00:57:49
Fri May 25 00:00:50 2007:: Processing C:\Downloads\nodame_cantabile_ep01(D-CX_704x396_DivX6).avi
Fri May 25 00:00:50 2007:: Frame rate 29.971
Fri May 25 00:00:50 2007:: 0=LanczosResize(656,368,0,0,704,396)
Fri May 25 00:00:50 2007:: 1=AddBorders(32,56,32,56)
Fri May 25 00:00:50 2007:: Creating D2S file for nodame_cantabile_ep01(D-CX_704x396_DivX6)
Fri May 25 00:00:50 2007:: nodame_cantabile_ep01(D-CX_704x396_DivX6).mp2
Fri May 25 00:04:16 2007:: File C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos\nodame_cantabile_ep01(D-CX_704x396_DivX6).mp2 size 97158432
Fri May 25 00:04:16 2007:: nodame_cantabile_ep01(D-CX_704x396_DivX6).mpv
Fri May 25 00:23:18 2007:: Version 2.5 - 03/26/07
Fri May 25 00:24:00 2007:: WARNING Cannot find subtitle for Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight.avi
Fri May 25 00:24:00 2007:: Added File C:\Users\Jennifer\Downloads\MV\Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight.avi: Frames 7718 Time 00:05:08
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: Processing C:\Users\Jennifer\Downloads\MV\Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight.avi
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: Frame rate 25.000
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: Pulldown Enabled
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: PAL Source Detected
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: 0=LanczosResize(656,448,0,0,640,480)
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: 1=AddBorders(32,16,32,16)
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: Creating D2S file for Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight
Fri May 25 00:24:03 2007:: Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight.mp2
Fri May 25 00:24:31 2007:: File C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos\Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight.mp2 size 9025632
Fri May 25 00:24:31 2007:: Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight.mpv
Fri May 25 00:24:58 2007:: ERROR: Invalid File C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos\Dong Bang Shin Ki - Tonight.mpv
Fri May 25 00:24:58 2007:: Renaming MPV, MPG
Fri May 25 00:24:58 2007::
Fri May 25 00:24:58 2007:: Creating C:\Users\Jennifer\Videos\SimpleAvis2Dvd.dva
Fri May 25 00:24:58 2007:: Conversion Complete
Attachments
dvd2svcd_log.txt
(672 Bytes) Downloaded 414 times

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 25th, '07, 14:20

himeko wrote:today i tried uninstalling everything again and reinstalling all the programs, set it up again, etc
again, the transcoding screen would disappear, this time i got an error, saying it cannot find the CCE program.. then another new dvd2svcd window would open up, and avi2dvd program will freeze. but i specifically selected tmpgenc, and located it too, so i have no idea why it's asking me for CCE program... O__O
even though i did a search, i for some reason do not have a avi2dvd log file.. perhaps it is because the program freezes, and i always have to go to task manager to shut it down..

i will attach my dvd2svcd log instead for you, so hope you can help me with those, thanks very much!

edit: alright so i tried it again (just for the heck of it) with a short MV vid (no subtitle file so ignore that), and i think i found the simpleavis2dvd log now, so here it is:
It looks like at least you have fixed the problem where it can't find the paths. I can see from your ini file that they are all set and that error is not reported in the logs.

I'm not sure how, but I suspect that CCE is selected on your Encoder page in dvd2svcd. Open up Dvd2svcd and go to the Encoder tab. Select TmpgEnc. Close it down and open it up again. Make sure that it is still TmpgEnc. What may have happened is that you selected the encoder first, then set the main page to AVI input and DVD output. I think that when you change the input or output type, the setting get reset.

Anyway, try it again and if it still does not work, post your SimpleAvis2Dvd and Dvd2Svcd log files.

Also, I noticed that your input file is PAL. Are you trying to convert an AVI that is PAL and has a subtitle?

himeko

Post by himeko » May 26th, '07, 07:10

kyuuketsuki wrote:
himeko wrote:today i tried uninstalling everything again and reinstalling all the programs, set it up again, etc

It looks like at least you have fixed the problem where it can't find the paths. I can see from your ini file that they are all set and that error is not reported in the logs.

I'm not sure how, but I suspect that CCE is selected on your Encoder page in dvd2svcd. Open up Dvd2svcd and go to the Encoder tab. Select TmpgEnc. Close it down and open it up again. Make sure that it is still TmpgEnc. What may have happened is that you selected the encoder first, then set the main page to AVI input and DVD output. I think that when you change the input or output type, the setting get reset.

Anyway, try it again and if it still does not work, post your SimpleAvis2Dvd and Dvd2Svcd log files.

Also, I noticed that your input file is PAL. Are you trying to convert an AVI that is PAL and has a subtitle?
For the PAL thing, it's just the log for an MV i tried to test and upload (doesn't have subtitles), wasn't serious about converting it. But after I tried using that file to convert, the avi2dvd log file suddently appeared, when it didn't show up for the first .avi file video I tried to convert.

So I did as told in the above steps, but dvd2svcd log file was the exact same, so I didn't bother uploading it. simpleavi2dvd log file didn't show up, but I suspect it would show up if i played around and uploaded the MV again. So when I am seriously trying to convert the video I intend to convert, the simple2dvd log file isn't there at all..

I didn't do anything different this time , because i never switched the settings from dvd2svcd, but double checked it was marked to tmpgenc as instructed above, and still same error..

I think tomorrow, I may try downloading CCE with that d2sroba, and see what happens. If I get the CCE trial, I get the full version of it right? (no watermark, limit on convert, etc).

thanks!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 26th, '07, 17:13

himeko wrote: For the PAL thing, it's just the log for an MV i tried to test and upload (doesn't have subtitles), wasn't serious about converting it. But after I tried using that file to convert, the avi2dvd log file suddently appeared, when it didn't show up for the first .avi file video I tried to convert.

So I did as told in the above steps, but dvd2svcd log file was the exact same, so I didn't bother uploading it. simpleavi2dvd log file didn't show up, but I suspect it would show up if i played around and uploaded the MV again. So when I am seriously trying to convert the video I intend to convert, the simple2dvd log file isn't there at all..

I didn't do anything different this time , because i never switched the settings from dvd2svcd, but double checked it was marked to tmpgenc as instructed above, and still same error..

I think tomorrow, I may try downloading CCE with that d2sroba, and see what happens. If I get the CCE trial, I get the full version of it right? (no watermark, limit on convert, etc).

thanks!
The reason I asked about the PAL subs is because the program doesn't yet work with PAL subs. I don't know of too many programs that support PAL to NTSC sub conversion. SimpleAvis2Dvd actually does, but I haven't uploaded the new version yet. There is someone at d-addicts that asked me to convert the PAL subs and she is currently the only one with that version.

dvd2svcd has problems with CCE trial versions and versions other than CCE 2.5. There are ways to fix this if you check the FAQ, but it is kind of a hassle.

I am glad that you are being persistent and have been working with me to find this error, otherwise I probably would not have found it and others would run into it. I have done all my development and tests using WinXP. However, I have been looking into your problem under Windows Vista and found that I am getting the same thing. I will try to get you a quick fix until I release the next version. I might just send you my Dvd2svcd config file with TmpgEnc set. That should at least enable you to start converting.

Are you using Windows Vista? If so, do you have UAC enabled?

himeko

Post by himeko » May 26th, '07, 21:40

kyuuketsuki wrote:
himeko wrote: For the PAL thing, it's just the log for an MV i tried to test and upload (doesn't have subtitles), wasn't serious about converting it. But after I tried using that file to convert, the avi2dvd log file suddently appeared, when it didn't show up for the first .avi file video I tried to convert.

thanks!
The reason I asked about the PAL subs is because the program doesn't yet work with PAL subs. I don't know of too many programs that support PAL to NTSC sub conversion. SimpleAvis2Dvd actually does, but I haven't uploaded the new version yet. There is someone at d-addicts that asked me to convert the PAL subs and she is currently the only one with that version.

dvd2svcd has problems with CCE trial versions and versions other than CCE 2.5. There are ways to fix this if you check the FAQ, but it is kind of a hassle.

I am glad that you are being persistent and have been working with me to find this error, otherwise I probably would not have found it and others would run into it. I have done all my development and tests using WinXP. However, I have been looking into your problem under Windows Vista and found that I am getting the same thing. I will try to get you a quick fix until I release the next version. I might just send you my Dvd2svcd config file with TmpgEnc set. That should at least enable you to start converting.

Are you using Windows Vista? If so, do you have UAC enabled?
how would i know if a video file is PAL or NTSC? i'm not sure what version it is.. but it's a japanese drama i downloaded from d-addicts, so i assumed it was in a standard video format that everyone else here has, and has been converting their dramas with no problem.

i'm trying to be as persistant as i can about fixing this problem haha, believe me, i am so tempted to just hardsub it myself and convert plainly with tmpgenc. because for some reason, tmpgenc always freezes when i try to upload a vid file with .srt subs.

Yes, I am using windows vista. perhaps i am thinking of trying to do this again on my desktop with windows XP, so maybe when i find the time, i'll try to find a tmpgenc crack (if there is one), because the tmpgenc on my windows XP expired already, so that's the only problem.

And if you could kindly explain to me what UAC is, and how to find it, i will let you know if it is enabled or not.

Thank you so much for being patient with me! you're a star! :mrgreen:

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 27th, '07, 03:21

himeko wrote: how would i know if a video file is PAL or NTSC? i'm not sure what version it is.. but it's a japanese drama i downloaded from d-addicts, so i assumed it was in a standard video format that everyone else here has, and has been converting their dramas with no problem.

i'm trying to be as persistant as i can about fixing this problem haha, believe me, i am so tempted to just hardsub it myself and convert plainly with tmpgenc. because for some reason, tmpgenc always freezes when i try to upload a vid file with .srt subs.

Yes, I am using windows vista. perhaps i am thinking of trying to do this again on my desktop with windows XP, so maybe when i find the time, i'll try to find a tmpgenc crack (if there is one), because the tmpgenc on my windows XP expired already, so that's the only problem.

And if you could kindly explain to me what UAC is, and how to find it, i will let you know if it is enabled or not.

Thank you so much for being patient with me! you're a star! :mrgreen:
SimpleAvis2Dvd will report PAL in the log file if it is PAL,but don't worry about it I uploaded the new version. I spent most of the day testing the program under Vista. It is definitely a problem with the UAC. Nasty nasty problem. Vista makes copies of files on the hard drive and hides them from programs. It is going to make things very difficult for some programs to run. I can see why DvdAuthorGui did not work. Also SimpleAvis2Dvd doesn't work because it reads the files created by dvd2svcd. So when you changed your Encoder, it never gets updated because the file is hidden. It is actually there on the harddrive, but a hidden copy is created elsewhere and the hidden copy is the one that is used by Windows. What I find halarious about the whole thing is that Microsoft's own programming environment will not even run properly on Vista.

Anyway, I updated the Tutorial. Download the new version of SimpleAvis2Dvd, check the setup for instructions on disabling UAC, and check the FAQ for some additional info. I ran tests using QuEnc and TmpgEnc and everything ran fine.

himeko

Post by himeko » May 27th, '07, 08:37

Ok so I thought I'd tell you the story :D

I tried to uninstall/install again on my desktop with Windows XP. Two changes: I deleted my tmpgenc free trial version, and got the registered version of tmpgenc plus. Also downloaded the new version of avi2dvd from you. Ran the conversion - and it went a lot farther than usual! Except the program said it was done converting, but it only went on for 1 minute! So failed again, but at least there was progress!

I switched and tried it on my laptop with Windows Vista. 1st attempt- kept with my usual free tmpgenc trial version, got rid of UAC, and downloaded new avi2dvd version from you - no change, still asks me for CCE.
Then I used my new tmpgenc plus registered version instead, and now it is converting !!! I am so excited!! :DDD so I'll see where that takes me, and I'll update you!

So ultimately I think what fixed my problems were:
- getting registered version of tmpgenc
- using your new avi2dvd version

Although I wonder what is wrong with the XP version, with it claiming to have finished converting in one minute!

Still thank you very very much, and will be continuing with the updates! (hopefully smooth sailing from hereonin!)

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 27th, '07, 15:08

himeko wrote:Ok so I thought I'd tell you the story :D

I tried to uninstall/install again on my desktop with Windows XP. Two changes: I deleted my tmpgenc free trial version, and got the registered version of tmpgenc plus. Also downloaded the new version of avi2dvd from you. Ran the conversion - and it went a lot farther than usual! Except the program said it was done converting, but it only went on for 1 minute! So failed again, but at least there was progress!

I switched and tried it on my laptop with Windows Vista. 1st attempt- kept with my usual free tmpgenc trial version, got rid of UAC, and downloaded new avi2dvd version from you - no change, still asks me for CCE.
Then I used my new tmpgenc plus registered version instead, and now it is converting !!! I am so excited!! :DDD so I'll see where that takes me, and I'll update you!

So ultimately I think what fixed my problems were:
- getting registered version of tmpgenc
- using your new avi2dvd version

Although I wonder what is wrong with the XP version, with it claiming to have finished converting in one minute!

Still thank you very very much, and will be continuing with the updates! (hopefully smooth sailing from hereonin!)
Great that you finally got it working. :cheers:
There is some weirdness with TmpgEnc and VFAPI plugins. I only have 1 codec for XVID on my machine so I don't have to do this, but I remember having to change the priorities years ago on an old machine. If it's still not working on XP, try using QuEnc. If it works, then we know the problem has something to do with the TmpgEnc setup. So, check the FAQ on how to change the TmpgEnc VFAPI priorities. Also, any time the encoding doesn't work, the error should always be reported in the log files. It should give you a clue there.

Let me know how it goes. :D

himeko

Post by himeko » May 28th, '07, 00:12

It went great! I successfully converted, authored, and burned a DVD on my
laptop with Vista!! :D So I'm pretty happy about that! Just a tip about
your tutorial - IMO, I think you should post the paragraph on how to
create your own menu background BEFORE hitting 'author dvd' and 'create
ISO' - the first time when I burned it, I figured out why my menu
background wasn't customized the way I set it up - I created the ISO,
created the background, and ended up burning the original ISO. Wasted a
DVD-R doing it again, just because I like things neat and in an orderly fashion.. haha oh well ;)

I looked more closely at the problem I had with converting with my windows
XP and why it converted the whole thing in one minute. I discovered the
tmpgenc encoding preview had giant red letters that it couldn’t locate the
decompressor fourcc. Took your advice, downloaded DivX and Koepi’s Xvid,
and now SUCCESS! It’s happily encoding on my desktop now, making me very
happy, and hopefully will be smoothsailing just like my Vista! I was
afraid of having to buy a 4GB flash drive to transfer my encoded files
from my laptop to my desktop, if I still couldn’t figure it out, since I
don’t want to wear out my laptop’s DVD burner.

Thank you so much for putting up with me, and sitting down, going through
step by step, and tweaking your Vista settings to help me out! I really
really do appreciate it, and I can honestly say that you are the most
patient person out there, that helps each and every person enjoy your
tutorial. I tested out my first DVD on my player, and the picture was
absolutely beautiful, and high quality, just the way I like it!
:cheers:
Thank you once again, I owe you, BIG TIME ! :salut:

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Jun 5th, '07, 02:37

kyuuketsuki wrote:

0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3

Thank you.
Either of those should be fine. You can get the AC3 codec here http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm.
I installed this codec. But when I try to run through Virtual Dub (due to out of sync audio) I get this error message: "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format "source format tag: 2000). I loaded the avi into Gspot and it said the Codec is installed. It is quite frustrating. Thank you for your help.

ferine

Re: [Tutorial] How to Convert AVI to Standard DVD for TV

Post by ferine » Jun 7th, '07, 02:44

Before burning, it is a good idea to check your DVD. You should be able to play it with DVD playing software. Point to the directory created from DvdAuthorGui. Some Dvd players will play by selecting the IFO file in the TS_VIDEO directory.

With your burning software, select "burn DVD Video disc" and select the directory that holds the "TS_AUDIO" and "TS_VIDEO" directories that were created. Alternatively If you have created an ISO file select "burn image file" and point to the ISO file.
mm.. i started with a rm file that's hardsubbed. didn't use the simpleavis2dvd create the dvd format. just converted using WinAVI.. Then I authored using GUI but when I tried to burn the dvd on nero it can't select that directory that holds the "TS Audio and Ts video". So I like to ask what kind of dvd burner should you use if u authored with another program.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 8th, '07, 01:26

kht2015 wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:

0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3

Thank you.
I installed this codec. But when I try to run through Virtual Dub (due to out of sync audio) I get this error message: "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format "source format tag: 2000). I loaded the avi into Gspot and it said the Codec is installed. It is quite frustrating. Thank you for your help.
Ok, I'm pretty sure I know how to fix this. You need the AC3 codec to play the AVI and to convert it using BeSweet which is why it probably will play fine in Windows Media Player, convert, and play in GSpot. However, Virtual Dub requires an ACM decompressor. Try installing this and let me know if you still have problems. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AC3_ACM_Decompressor

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 8th, '07, 01:33

ferine wrote:
Before burning, it is a good idea to check your DVD. You should be able to play it with DVD playing software. Point to the directory created from DvdAuthorGui. Some Dvd players will play by selecting the IFO file in the TS_VIDEO directory.

With your burning software, select "burn DVD Video disc" and select the directory that holds the "TS_AUDIO" and "TS_VIDEO" directories that were created. Alternatively If you have created an ISO file select "burn image file" and point to the ISO file.
mm.. i started with a rm file that's hardsubbed. didn't use the simpleavis2dvd create the dvd format. just converted using WinAVI.. Then I authored using GUI but when I tried to burn the dvd on nero it can't select that directory that holds the "TS Audio and Ts video". So I like to ask what kind of dvd burner should you use if u authored with another program.
Are you using DvdAuthorGui? If you use Nero, you can output an ISO file from DvdAUthorGui and burn this in Nero. Also, I have an old version of Nero, but it lets me create a DVD by adding the VIDEO_TS folder. Make sure you select "Video" DVD as opposed to "data" DVD.

yen85

pls help...

Post by yen85 » Jun 8th, '07, 05:49

I was done with all the steps.. But i dont hv the ts_video or any log files.. Only hv the MP2 audio & encoding video..the files cant play together..Can anyone help me with this??

Lol..its already 2 months i learn how to do this,,
I never suceed...pls help me :goggle:

ferine

Post by ferine » Jun 8th, '07, 14:18

kyuuketsuki wrote:
ferine wrote:

Are you using DvdAuthorGui? If you use Nero, you can output an ISO file from DvdAUthorGui and burn this in Nero. Also, I have an old version of Nero, but it lets me create a DVD by adding the VIDEO_TS folder. Make sure you select "Video" DVD as opposed to "data" DVD.
thanks! mm... how do you output ISO file?? And do you burn the ISO file together with the TS video? In my version of Nero, when selecting "Video" DVD" the window only allows adding the VOB files as titles and not the folder.

kyuuketsuki

Re: pls help...

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 9th, '07, 03:01

yen85 wrote:I was done with all the steps.. But i dont hv the ts_video or any log files.. Only hv the MP2 audio & encoding video..the files cant play together..Can anyone help me with this??

You need to author the audio and video using a DVD authoring tool. You can use DvdAuthorGui. This will create the TS_VIDEO folder.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 9th, '07, 03:04

ferine wrote: thanks! mm... how do you output ISO file?? And do you burn the ISO file together with the TS video? In my version of Nero, when selecting "Video" DVD" the window only allows adding the VOB files as titles and not the folder.
The ISO is a single file that you can burn to DVD. In DvdAuthorGui, select "file / create iso after authoring". In Nero select "Burn Disc Image" and point to the ISO file. If Nero accepts VOB files, you could also try adding all the files in the TS_VIDEO folder.

ferine

Post by ferine » Jun 11th, '07, 02:08

kyuuketsuki wrote:
ferine wrote: thanks! mm... how do you output ISO file?? And do you burn the ISO file together with the TS video? In my version of Nero, when selecting "Video" DVD" the window only allows adding the VOB files as titles and not the folder.
The ISO is a single file that you can burn to DVD. In DvdAuthorGui, select "file / create iso after authoring". In Nero select "Burn Disc Image" and point to the ISO file. If Nero accepts VOB files, you could also try adding all the files in the TS_VIDEO folder.
Thanks!! I was able to burn my first DVD succesfully!! .. almost anyway.. When I viewed it on television the sides were cut off. Anyway... I'm trying to convert an avi file to dvd but there was a error message saying that they can't decode the file. The file may be broken or haven't been decoded... Do you have any idea why??

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Jun 11th, '07, 02:14

kyuuketsuki wrote:
kht2015 wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:
Ok, I'm pretty sure I know how to fix this. You need the AC3 codec to play the AVI and to convert it using BeSweet which is why it probably will play fine in Windows Media Player, convert, and play in GSpot. However, Virtual Dub requires an ACM decompressor. Try installing this and let me know if you still have problems. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AC3_ACM_Decompressor
Kyuuketsuki,
I apologize for not being a tech savy. I went to the site, downloaded the file, but I am not sure how to install it. It seems like the .inf file is not there.

yen85

Re: pls help...

Post by yen85 » Jun 11th, '07, 08:52

kyuuketsuki wrote:
yen85 wrote:I was done with all the steps.. But i dont hv the ts_video or any log files.. Only hv the MP2 audio & encoding video..the files cant play together..Can anyone help me with this??

You need to author the audio and video using a DVD authoring tool. You can use DvdAuthorGui. This will create the TS_VIDEO folder.
Thanks a lot for the tips.. :cheers:
I will try to make it^^

ferine

Post by ferine » Jun 11th, '07, 12:09

ferine wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote: thanks! mm... how do you output ISO file?? And do you burn the ISO file together with the TS video? In my version of Nero, when selecting "Video" DVD" the window only allows adding the VOB files as titles and not the folder.
Thanks!! I was able to burn my first DVD succesfully!! .. almost anyway.. Apparently, there's two diff dvd-video selection. The one I was talking about... I could burn it but the audio went all haywire. Then I found the other DVD-video burner and it allowed me to add the files. Anyway... I'm trying to convert an avi file to dvd but there was a error message saying that they can't decode the file. The file may be broken or haven't been decoded... Do you have any idea why??

Btw, I can play the dvd well on my computer with the whole vid in view. But it seems that when I play on my dvd player on diff television, the video doesn't fit on the screen. Could you enlighten me on how to make the vid fit onscreen on any television? thanks :)