[Tutorial] How to Convert AVI to Standard DVD for TV

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Apr 28th, '08, 12:25

kyuuketsuki wrote:
Rasckita wrote:I mean...
Everytime I try to convert AVIs that have 48000Hz stereo audio to mpv and mp2 using SimpleAvis2Dvd it tells me there was an audio error and the MP2 file is 0 kb.

So everytime I want to convert these type of AVI to MPV and MP2 using your tutorial, I'm having to re-encode the AVIs with 44100Hz Stereo and then, after I do that, I load the re-enconded AVIs on SimpleAvis2Dvd to convert them to MPV and MP2.

So I'd like to know if there's a way (with your tutorial) to convert AVIs that have 48000Hz stereo audio to mpv and mp2 without having to first re-encode them to AVIs with 44100Hz Stereo.

Thanks in advance!
Some AVIs are recorded in a non standard way. BeSweet does a great job if everything is recorded properly, but not so good for others. It really should work with 48kHz, so I wonder if something else is the problem. If you find a series that does not work with BeSweet, there is no way that I know of to fix the audio without converting. You might be able to find a tool at www.videohelp.com that will convert all the audio for bunch of avis in one step. I believe there is a GUI for BeSweet that will do this, but I have not used it in a long time. SimpleAvis2Dvd will convert all the audio of all the avis to MP2 in one step by using the audio menu if they are the correct format.

I don't know if I have any 48kHz audio AVIs. If you want to email me a clip or the name of the one you are having trouble with, I could take a look at it.
Hi!
Thanks for the help!
I tried converting other AVIs with 48kHz and it worked fine.
The only files that are not working are the 'I'm Sorry I love You' episodes 1 and 2 that can be found here on d-additcs.com.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Apr 28th, '08, 16:51

Z3rox wrote:How many episodes do you recommend burning on one disc? The ones I have are around 450 mbs in avi form they uncompress to 1.97 gbs if I uncompress with an episode size of 4.37 gbs. I am not exactly sure how the rest would uncompress if I convert 4 episodes at a time.
More important than the size is the time of the episodes. When you load them up, you can see the total time displayed for all the episodes. Try to keep this between 3 and 4 hours.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Apr 28th, '08, 16:53

Rasckita wrote: Hi!
Thanks for the help!
I tried converting other AVIs with 48kHz and it worked fine.
The only files that are not working are the 'I'm Sorry I love You' episodes 1 and 2 that can be found here on d-additcs.com.
I think I have these somewhere. I will see if I have any problems converting them to determine if something is wrong.

crimsonskyx

Post by crimsonskyx » May 6th, '08, 12:23

I really like HQ video's :D I was just wondering does the quality contribute to the time taken to make the DVD? as in following each step in the tutorial? Including the Menues.

Thank you soo much in advance <3
Love the Tutorial by the way :-)

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 8th, '08, 22:49

crimsonskyx wrote:I really like HQ video's :D I was just wondering does the quality contribute to the time taken to make the DVD? as in following each step in the tutorial? Including the Menues.

Thank you soo much in advance <3
Love the Tutorial by the way :-)
The menus are extra and don't really contribute to the time to make the dvd. There are many different ways to make the menu and to burn the DVD. The conversion from AVI to MPG is what takes all the time and is what makes the quality high. The higher you want the quality of the movie, the more time it will take. Enjoy the shows.

unzum

Post by unzum » May 15th, '08, 13:25

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It's really useful!

I managed to get everything working but I'm a bit stuck right now & unsure what to do.

I set the SimpleAvis2DVD working on converting 10 20 min episodes. Only problem is the computer switched itself off during the night when it was halfway through converting the 5th episode. Because it got interrupted I don't have a DVDAuthorGui file.

I've attached a picture of all the files that are in the output folder. EDIT: Removed pic.

What should I do to get all 10 episodes together on one DVD? I want to put them all into DVDAuthorgui but I don't know which files to put in.

Can you help? :-(
Last edited by unzum on May 21st, '08, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 15th, '08, 19:33

There is probably something wrong with your 5th episode. The log file should give a clue as to what went wrong. If your first 4 episodes went fine, then you won't have to convert those again. You can restart from the 5th episode, but you would have to make a new dvdauthor file with all the episodes when you're done.

Can you post or email me your SimpleAvis2Dvd log file?

unzum

Post by unzum » May 21st, '08, 11:51

Hey there, I've got another problem.

I carried on converting the rest of the episodes as I want 10 to a DVD. In the video output folder I've now got 2 MPEG files that show only the video and 1 movie clip that shows only audio for each episode.

Problem is, both of the MPEG files for any of the 10 episodes are too fast. Each episode lasts about 25 mins and the running time is now shown as about 6 mins. It seems to be going about twice as fast as it should.
The audio only files for each episode are fine.

Is this normal? If I just loaded the episodes into DVDAuthorGUI would the audio and video be out of sync? Would the episodes be too fast once I've authored them?

Also, as each episode has two video files each I'm unsure about which ones to load into DVDAuthorGUI. E.G. One file is named ~~05 and the other ~~05Pulldown. When I view both video files they look identical.
Should I load the Pulldown video episode into DVDAuthorGUI or the other one?

I hope I've managed to explain this okay and that you'll be able to help.

unzum

Post by unzum » May 21st, '08, 13:13

Actually, ignore the post above.

I authored one video to test it out and it seems to all be in sync. I'm not sure what happened but it worked so I'm happy!

Thanks for making this tutorial!!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » May 21st, '08, 13:31

unzum wrote:Actually, ignore the post above.

I authored one video to test it out and it seems to all be in sync. I'm not sure what happened but it worked so I'm happy!

Thanks for making this tutorial!!
When you have a PAL 25 fps file and convert to NTSC 30 fps, there are supposed to be two files. The pulldown file is the one that is converted to NTSC. The other file would be out of sync if you used it.

Glad you got it working!

FBPPrelude

Post by FBPPrelude » Jun 12th, '08, 02:08

Great info. I just want to recommend a program I use called convertxtodvd to people who are still having problems or just want a very easy way to convert files to dvd. It's converts basically mp4, avi and mpg or basically any video you have to dvd. Just drop and drag. Add subtitles. It creates menus and titles automatically. Add your own pics, change colors of subs, add music, etc. Hit the encode button. Wait for it to finish encoding then just burn it. The easiest and most simple program I ever used. Just want to help people out who don't want to go through all the steps mentioned. :D

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... _guide.cfm

Free version has watermark. $50 to buy.
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

You can download the registered version at torrent sites such as btjunkie.org, mininova.org. (download at your own risk)

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Jun 14th, '08, 13:23

Hi kyuuketsuki,
I have a question. Sometimes when I encode an avi, I get individual MPV and an MPEG Layer 2 Audio, but not MPEG Movie file together. Can you tell me how I can 'merge' the two MPV and MPEG audio together to get the MPEG movie file?

The reason is when I try to Author the MPV and MPEG audio using DVDAuthorGUI, it won't let me create the chapters correctly. I do the 5 min chapter and it will create chapters at 5, 10, 15, minutes and that's it. If I have an MPEG Movie file, it will create the chapters evenly.

Thank you. Your tutorial helped me create my DVD collections, over 600 discs.

maman_12003

Post by maman_12003 » Jun 14th, '08, 18:04

Hi, kyuuketsuki!
Please help me, if you know how. Pease, tell me, if I have already 4 episodes of a TV series made as an 1 DVD only, how can I separate them to have 4 separate, independent 4 episodes again? It' s about to inverse the process you teached us here...
The resultant episodes not to be DVDs, but avi, mpeg, or another extension.

izint

Post by izint » Jun 15th, '08, 22:02

i get an error when while simpleavis2dvd is encoding, it says CCE encoder thing is missing ? how am i suppose to set it to QuEnc, i went into dvd2svcd and clicked QuEnc under encoder but that doesn't do anything?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 16th, '08, 02:06

kht2015 wrote:Hi kyuuketsuki,
I have a question. Sometimes when I encode an avi, I get individual MPV and an MPEG Layer 2 Audio, but not MPEG Movie file together. Can you tell me how I can 'merge' the two MPV and MPEG audio together to get the MPEG movie file?

The reason is when I try to Author the MPV and MPEG audio using DVDAuthorGUI, it won't let me create the chapters correctly. I do the 5 min chapter and it will create chapters at 5, 10, 15, minutes and that's it. If I have an MPEG Movie file, it will create the chapters evenly.

Glad that you could get use out of the program.

After you do the conversion, you may have several files.
MP2 - Audio
MPV - Video
MPV (Pulldown) - Video
MPG - Audio & Video

The pulldown is only if there is a conversion from 23 fps to 30 fps, so you won't always see it. DVD2SVCD should automatically create the MPG file for you. If you don't have the MPG file after you do the conversion, then check the setup in SimpleAvis2Dvd and make sure that "delete unused MPG files" is NOT checked. When you create the DVD disc, you can use either the MPV+MP2 or the MPG. The reason I use the MPV+MP2 is that sometimes the MPG files end up being too big on the DVD, but theoretically they should both work fine.

You could also try changing the chapter stops inside DvdAuthorGui. It's pretty easy to do. I set them to 5 minutes, but they can be anything.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 16th, '08, 02:17

maman_12003 wrote:Hi, kyuuketsuki!
Please help me, if you know how. Pease, tell me, if I have already 4 episodes of a TV series made as an 1 DVD only, how can I separate them to have 4 separate, independent 4 episodes again? It' s about to inverse the process you teached us here...
The resultant episodes not to be DVDs, but avi, mpeg, or another extension.
It really depends on what you want to convert to. DVD Video discs store the files as VOBs. Inside the VOBs are the MPG files. To go from DVD/VOB to MPG is very easy. You can check videohelp.com and get several tools to do this. If you need more help on that, let me know. The files will be pretty big though. If you have 4 episodes on a disc, each episode will be about a gigabyte on your hard drive.

It is generally not a good idea to go from AVI to MPG/DVD back to AVI. Every time you do a conversion, you will lose quality. However, it can be done. Many people will rip a DVD movie and convert it to AVI or MP4 to view on their computer or Ipod. Ipod quality is not very good, but going directly from a high quality movie DVD to AVI should give you very high quality.

There are many tools at www.videohelp.com that will convert to any format you want to. It depends on what your end goal is.

If you need more help, let me know.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 16th, '08, 02:22

izint wrote:i get an error when while simpleavis2dvd is encoding, it says CCE encoder thing is missing ? how am i suppose to set it to QuEnc, i went into dvd2svcd and clicked QuEnc under encoder but that doesn't do anything?
You did the right thing. Open up DVD2SVCD and try it again. Make sure that the path of QuEnc is set to the installation directory where you installed QuEnc. Close it down and open it again and make sure that it is set properly.

If it still doesn't work, email or post your log file.

Tensai_san

Superb Conversion!

Post by Tensai_san » Jun 16th, '08, 03:25

Thx Ya for the steps for convertion...... hope can c nxt time on BIG BIG screen....
However a better and clearer understanding if got SS for the steps...

Anyways Arigato!! Great help to me.. =) :lol

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Jun 18th, '08, 03:45

kyuuketsuki wrote:
kht2015 wrote:Hi kyuuketsuki,

Glad that you could get use out of the program.

After you do the conversion, you may have several files.
MP2 - Audio
MPV - Video
MPV (Pulldown) - Video
MPG - Audio & Video

The pulldown is only if there is a conversion from 23 fps to 30 fps, so you won't always see it. DVD2SVCD should automatically create the MPG file for you. If you don't have the MPG file after you do the conversion, then check the setup in SimpleAvis2Dvd and make sure that "delete unused MPG files" is NOT checked. When you create the DVD disc, you can use either the MPV+MP2 or the MPG. The reason I use the MPV+MP2 is that sometimes the MPG files end up being too big on the DVD, but theoretically they should both work fine.

You could also try changing the chapter stops inside DvdAuthorGui. It's pretty easy to do. I set them to 5 minutes, but they can be anything.
Thank you. I do use MPV & MP2 files sometimes when the MPG file is not created. I prefer MPG file because it will let me create the chapters in DvdAuthorGui. But is there a way for me to create the MPG file from the MPV & MP2 files I have (the delete unused MPG files" is not checked. I don't know why but certain AVI's will create the MPG files and some of them don't after the conversion. Sometimes I can have 1 out of 4 AVI created an MPG files and the rest just have MPV & MP2.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 19th, '08, 03:31

kht2015 wrote: Thank you. I do use MPV & MP2 files sometimes when the MPG file is not created. I prefer MPG file because it will let me create the chapters in DvdAuthorGui. But is there a way for me to create the MPG file from the MPV & MP2 files I have (the delete unused MPG files" is not checked. I don't know why but certain AVI's will create the MPG files and some of them don't after the conversion. Sometimes I can have 1 out of 4 AVI created an MPG files and the rest just have MPV & MP2.
The MPV and MP2 are standard DVD video files so you should be able to create an MPG with just about any tool that does that. The process is called "multiplexing". To get an MPV and MP2 from an MPG is "demultiplexing".

Here's a list from videohelp.com. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections ... ltiplexers

A while ago I used TmpgEnc to do some demultiplexing and it worked fine, but I don't know about any of the other programs. It is not a difficult process though, so I wouldn't expect many problems.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jun 19th, '08, 20:38

I <3 TMPGEnc

You could totally rewrite this entire guide using that 1 program alone (+ TMPGEnc DVD Author), but its not free :\

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 19th, '08, 22:23

AkumaX wrote:I <3 TMPGEnc

You could totally rewrite this entire guide using that 1 program alone (+ TMPGEnc DVD Author), but its not free :\
Not really. TmpgEncDvd Author does not support soft subs. Also, part of the point of using SimpleAvis2Dvd is to set the correct borders and aspect ratio for the different size AVIs. It can be done in TmpgEnc, but it is not automatic and is a hassle.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jun 20th, '08, 05:04

kyuuketsuki wrote:
AkumaX wrote:I <3 TMPGEnc

Not really. TmpgEncDvd Author does not support soft subs. Also, part of the point of using SimpleAvis2Dvd is to set the correct borders and aspect ratio for the different size AVIs. It can be done in TmpgEnc, but it is not automatic and is a hassle.
that's true, i guess i never considered subtitles.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 22nd, '08, 14:22

I've been working on HDTV conversions and am testing it now. It will play at the correct aspect ratio for widescreen TVs as long as the source was widescreen. For anyone that's interested, I'll post a new version after I run some more tests.

lostdvd

Post by lostdvd » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:23

I don't know what happened but now when I do a batch conversion, the Cinema Craft encoder 2.6 freezes after the first file converts and that doesn't allow the program to continue converting the rest. This didn't happen in the past but I don't know what happened lately. Any suggestions? Thank you.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 23rd, '08, 02:45

lostdvd wrote:I don't know what happened but now when I do a batch conversion, the Cinema Craft encoder 2.6 freezes after the first file converts and that doesn't allow the program to continue converting the rest. This didn't happen in the past but I don't know what happened lately. Any suggestions? Thank you.
If it happens every time after the first AVI, then it is a problem with CCE. I don't know if DVD2SVCD is compatible with CCE 2.6.

If you are using CCE 2.5, there is a patch for 2.5 that will fix the freezing. It might also be a problem with your AVI. If the freeze only happens on that AVI, you could try encoding it with a different encoder like QuEnc. It is slow, but might be ok if you just have to use it on that one video.

lostdvd

Post by lostdvd » Jun 23rd, '08, 22:08

kyuuketsuki wrote:
lostdvd wrote:I don't know what happened but now when I do a batch conversion, the Cinema Craft encoder 2.6 freezes after the first file converts and that doesn't allow the program to continue converting the rest. This didn't happen in the past but I don't know what happened lately. Any suggestions? Thank you.
If it happens every time after the first AVI, then it is a problem with CCE. I don't know if DVD2SVCD is compatible with CCE 2.6.

If you are using CCE 2.5, there is a patch for 2.5 that will fix the freezing. It might also be a problem with your AVI. If the freeze only happens on that AVI, you could try encoding it with a different encoder like QuEnc. It is slow, but might be ok if you just have to use it on that one video.
The odd thing is that about two weeks ago it was doing fine on batch conversion but lately me CCE freezes after the first avi is completed. I didn't adjust anything during that time and it suddenly just happened. I can try switching to CCE 2.5 with the patch and see how that will go. Anymore suggestion is appreciated, thank you for your reply.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jun 24th, '08, 00:36

lostdvd wrote: The odd thing is that about two weeks ago it was doing fine on batch conversion but lately me CCE freezes after the first avi is completed. I didn't adjust anything during that time and it suddenly just happened. I can try switching to CCE 2.5 with the patch and see how that will go. Anymore suggestion is appreciated, thank you for your reply.
I think the best thing to do is use 2.5 with the patch or a different encoder. The quality should be as good or better than 2.6. I don't know if it is true, but I've actually read that 2.5 is the best version qualitywise. I don't know much about CCE 2.6. I would try to use different AVIs to see if there might be a problem with the AVI. You could make a few short test clips with Virtual Dub.

You could try downloading eclcce to see if that fixes the problem. I have not used it though so I don't know how well it works. You could also try reinstalling cce and dvd2svcd, but I suspect that you will eventually have the problem again.

Category9

Post by Category9 » Jul 3rd, '08, 04:08

So im trying that batch program you made, but unfortunately, it encoded the video in 4:3 instead of widescreen.

I there a way to make them encode in a different aspect ratio?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Jul 3rd, '08, 13:40

Category9 wrote:So im trying that batch program you made, but unfortunately, it encoded the video in 4:3 instead of widescreen.

I there a way to make them encode in a different aspect ratio?
I have the new version, but have not posted it yet. Email me your email address, and I will send it to you and you can test it for me.

Thanks. :)

kht2015

Post by kht2015 » Jul 17th, '08, 22:05

lostdvd wrote:
kyuuketsuki wrote:

The odd thing is that about two weeks ago it was doing fine on batch conversion but lately me CCE freezes after the first avi is completed. I didn't adjust anything during that time and it suddenly just happened. I can try switching to CCE 2.5 with the patch and see how that will go. Anymore suggestion is appreciated, thank you for your reply.
How does it freeze? I have the problem of after the encoding process is complete, CCE (2.5) would not exit to do the multiplexing, and DVD2SVCD would not close. I have to exit CCE and close DVD2SVCD manually, and the next AVI process would start. I don't know if it has to do with the AVI or not. But it works on some AVI's and not others. That's why I was asking kyuuketsuki on how to multiplex the MPV and audio file to get the MPEG. I need the MPEG file because when I use DVDAuthorGUI, it lets me create chapters evenly. With MPV and the audio file, it only creates chapters for the first 15 minutes.

Shindou-Kun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Shindou-Kun » Aug 7th, '08, 11:31

I get a DVDauthorGUI has encountered a problem and needs to close message when I try to add titleset menu.

Anybody know what the problem is?

Btw.. I'm running WinXP Eng Pro

yoori_girl

Post by yoori_girl » Aug 19th, '08, 11:52

Hi,
I'm trying out your tutorial and I downloaded the programs needed, I'm stuck on Step 1. I keep getting this message "Errors have occurred. Check SimpleAvis2Dvd log file". I looked at the log file and I don't get anything of what it says. What am I doing wrong?

daisyamapi

Post by daisyamapi » Aug 19th, '08, 12:20

thx u so much i need this tutorial....

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Aug 19th, '08, 15:11

Shindou-Kun wrote:I get a DVDauthorGUI has encountered a problem and needs to close message when I try to add titleset menu.

Anybody know what the problem is?

Btw.. I'm running WinXP Eng Pro
Check your DvdAuthorGui log file.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Aug 19th, '08, 15:12

yoori_girl wrote:Hi,
I'm trying out your tutorial and I downloaded the programs needed, I'm stuck on Step 1. I keep getting this message "Errors have occurred. Check SimpleAvis2Dvd log file". I looked at the log file and I don't get anything of what it says. What am I doing wrong?
Read the FAQ at the end of the tutorial. If you still can't figure it out, email me or post your log file.

zerch

Post by zerch » Oct 18th, '08, 03:36

Great Tutorial! Everything I wanted to know condensed in one tutorial.

I usually just burn them with no fancy backgrounds or anything, but I've always been wondering how exactly it's done. Thank you so much!

ladysaotome

Post by ladysaotome » Nov 17th, '08, 04:31

I've been having a similar problem to yoori_girl.

When I run SimpleAvis2Dvd, right at the very end of each file conversion Dvd2svcd pops up with an error saying "The MADPlay.exe file does not exist". The conversion freezes & I have to close the error & Dvd2svcd manually in order for it to move on to the next avi conversion.

Once it is all done, a message appears saying "Errors have occurred. Check SimpleAvis2Dvd log file". In the log, everything looks fine except right at the end it says:
Creating mini.mpv
ERROR: Invalid File C:\\Documents and settings\Output\mini.mpv
My output folder is full of files but no mpv file.

I uninstalled my ccc codec pack. This time I decided to do the suggested short-segment test & did as instructed in the faq, using virtualdub to save a 60 second avi. I had the exact same errors except an additional one in the log:
ERROR AVI is PAL
Creating D2S file for mini
Creating mini.mp2
File C:\\Documents and settings\Output\mini.mp2 size 2721600
Creating mini.mpv
I thought the problem might be the avi being PAL but the full file shows as PAL in the log but didn't create an error.

After skimming this thread I tried going to the encoder tab in Dvd2svcd & I found that the selection box under where I checked "QuEnc" was empty (the box that is for QuEnc) so I routed it to the QuEnc file. This time the run went much longer on my 60 second clip but I had the same Dvd2svcd error were pops up saying "The MADPlay.exe file does not exist". One I closed the error notice, a new error notice popped up:
Avisynth open failure:
LoadPlugin: unable to load ""
(C:\Documents and settings\Output\AviSynth_Script_file.avs, line1)
then:
"Bad Parameter = mpeg2"
& then QuEnc opens & it says a second time :
Avisynth open failure:
then
"The DGMPGDec file does not exist!"
& Avi2dvd opens (It doesn't seem to have a particular tab) & there's a box labeled "DGIndex" that wants me to route to a file.
Simple Avis 2 Dvd has the same errors again refering to Avi is Pal & Invalid mpv file that is 0 size.

I routed the "DGIndex" to point to the correct file & ran SimpleAvis2Dvd again. This time it had all the same Avisynth errors but instead of saying the DGMPG file didn't exist it said: ""The MPEG2Dec DLL file does not exist!" & opens to the "Frameserver" tab in Avi2dvd which is set to Lanczos Resize.

EDIT:
I skimmed this thread a little more & decided to try reinstalling Dvd2svcd. This time everything automatically routed itself except the pulldown tab. It still wouldn't run & so I routed the tab & then it worked great (although it took over an hour for my 90 second clip!)

Now the issue I'm having is everytime I click to edit a menu in Dvd2svcd, I'm told I don't have an mpeg2 directshow filter needed to view that particular option. Someone else in this thread solved that problem by installing ffdshow so I tried that but it didn't work. What's funny is I could get in this window when I had my CCC codec pack installed. I'm going to try the other codecs listed on this tutorial & let you know how it goes.

EDIT: the xvid & divx codecs on the front page didn't help. I ended up Googling the problem & DVDAuthorGui's website had a list of suggested codecsto resolve the problem. It's now working.

This just goes to show that if you put in some legwork & elbow grease, kyuuketsuki has already provided most answers. Thanks!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Nov 28th, '08, 16:43

ladysaotome wrote:I've been having a similar problem to yoori_girl.

When I run SimpleAvis2Dvd, right at the very end of each file conversion Dvd2svcd pops up with an error saying "The MADPlay.exe file does not exist". The conversion freezes & I have to close the error & Dvd2svcd manually in order for it to move on to the next avi conversion.

Once it is all done, a message appears saying "Errors have occurred. Check SimpleAvis2Dvd log file". In the log, everything looks fine except right at the end it says:
Creating mini.mpv
My output folder is full of files but no mpv file.

I uninstalled my ccc codec pack. This time I decided to do the suggested short-segment test & did as instructed in the faq, using virtualdub to save a 60 second avi. I had the exact same errors except an additional one in the log:
ERROR AVI is PAL
Creating D2S file for mini
Creating mini.mp2
File C:\\Documents and settings\Output\mini.mp2 size 2721600
Creating mini.mpv
I thought the problem might be the avi being PAL but the full file shows as PAL in the log but didn't create an error.

After skimming this thread I tried going to the encoder tab in Dvd2svcd & I found that the selection box under where I checked "QuEnc" was empty (the box that is for QuEnc) so I routed it to the QuEnc file. This time the run went much longer on my 60 second clip but I had the same Dvd2svcd error were pops up saying "The MADPlay.exe file does not exist". One I closed the error notice, a new error notice popped up:
Avisynth open failure:
then:
"Bad Parameter = mpeg2"
& then QuEnc opens & it says a second time :
Avisynth open failure:
then
"The DGMPGDec file does not exist!"
& Avi2dvd opens (It doesn't seem to have a particular tab) & there's a box labeled "DGIndex" that wants me to route to a file.
Simple Avis 2 Dvd has the same errors again refering to Avi is Pal & Invalid mpv file that is 0 size.

I routed the "DGIndex" to point to the correct file & ran SimpleAvis2Dvd again. This time it had all the same Avisynth errors but instead of saying the DGMPG file didn't exist it said: ""The MPEG2Dec DLL file does not exist!" & opens to the "Frameserver" tab in Avi2dvd which is set to Lanczos Resize.

EDIT:
I skimmed this thread a little more & decided to try reinstalling Dvd2svcd. This time everything automatically routed itself except the pulldown tab. It still wouldn't run & so I routed the tab & then it worked great (although it took over an hour for my 90 second clip!)

Now the issue I'm having is everytime I click to edit a menu in Dvd2svcd, I'm told I don't have an mpeg2 directshow filter needed to view that particular option. Someone else in this thread solved that problem by installing ffdshow so I tried that but it didn't work. What's funny is I could get in this window when I had my CCC codec pack installed. I'm going to try the other codecs listed on this tutorial & let you know how it goes.

EDIT: the xvid & divx codecs on the front page didn't help. I ended up Googling the problem & DVDAuthorGui's website had a list of suggested codecsto resolve the problem. It's now working.

This just goes to show that if you put in some legwork & elbow grease, kyuuketsuki has already provided most answers. Thanks!
You really should not have this many problems. I think you just got unlucky. :) Something happened with your dvd2svcd installation which is why your paths to MadPlay.exe, DgIndex, etc were screwed up. You fixed it by reinstalling.

An hour is ridiculously long for 90 seconds. Your task priority might be set to low or something else is wrong. If you have a dual core system, it should take only a few minutes.

You need to install the OggDirectShow filters. Check the tutorial again on which programs are required. Also make sure to put the audio dll into the BeSweet folder.

Let me know if you have any other probs.

K4Ice

Post by K4Ice » Dec 10th, '08, 00:12

I seem to be having a few issues trying to get this to work for some reason.

I have some jdorama that is hardsubbed (not by me, but by the subbing team itself) that I would like to burn and make all pretty etc so that I am able to bring it along for all of us to watch down at the grandparents during Christmas vacation..

I've downloaded:
DVD2SVCD
DVDAuthorGui
QuEnc (since my trial ver of TmpgEnc is over and I can't use it)
oggDirectShowFilter
Vobinput.dll
SimpleAvis2Dvd from your link provided

I've followed your steps thus far. er..well almost at least. I'm unable to see the picture(s) posted for the last 2 steps of the setup. I went ahead and winged it setting up the folders - not sure if that entirely is the problem.

So yeah. I added one file to SimpleAvis2Dvd and click it to start but a msgbox pops up right away telling me there is an error and to check the log.
From what I see in the log, I'm getting an obscene amount of
"Error! Cannot rename file C:\Documents and Settings\Livvie\My Documents\Converted Videos\Dvd2Svcd\avisynth.ini." or "ERROR: Invalid File C:\Documents and Settings\Livvie\My Documents\Converted Videos\Output\HYD EP01.mpv"

I have no idea where to go from here..I've been trying to figure this out on my own before asking, but I'm pretty much stumped at this point.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Dec 10th, '08, 01:28

K4Ice wrote:I seem to be having a few issues trying to get this to work for some reason.

I have some jdorama that is hardsubbed (not by me, but by the subbing team itself) that I would like to burn and make all pretty etc so that I am able to bring it along for all of us to watch down at the grandparents during Christmas vacation..

I've downloaded:
DVD2SVCD
DVDAuthorGui
QuEnc (since my trial ver of TmpgEnc is over and I can't use it)
oggDirectShowFilter
Vobinput.dll
SimpleAvis2Dvd from your link provided

I've followed your steps thus far. er..well almost at least. I'm unable to see the picture(s) posted for the last 2 steps of the setup. I went ahead and winged it setting up the folders - not sure if that entirely is the problem.

So yeah. I added one file to SimpleAvis2Dvd and click it to start but a msgbox pops up right away telling me there is an error and to check the log.
From what I see in the log, I'm getting an obscene amount of
"Error! Cannot rename file C:\Documents and Settings\Livvie\My Documents\Converted Videos\Dvd2Svcd\avisynth.ini." or "ERROR: Invalid File C:\Documents and Settings\Livvie\My Documents\Converted Videos\Output\HYD EP01.mpv"

I have no idea where to go from here..I've been trying to figure this out on my own before asking, but I'm pretty much stumped at this point.

Thank you in advance for any help!!
Could be a lot of reasons. Maybe the files don't exist which is why it can't rename them. Might be because you are using Windows Vista and have not disabled UAC. Best thing to do is to check the log from the top and see what the first error is. If you are running Windows Vista, you could try right clicking on the program and "run as administrator". If you email me the whole log file, I can take a look at it.

K4Ice

Post by K4Ice » Dec 11th, '08, 18:15

Nope, definitely not using Vista.

Have sent you a pm with the log, I hope you got it!

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Feb 15th, '09, 23:24

In Step one, can .ASS subtitles apply? Simple Avis is not reading ASS subtitles.. Does that mean they <i>have</i> to be in .SRT format?

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Feb 25th, '09, 04:01

<3s-tei. wrote:In Step one, can .ASS subtitles apply? Simple Avis is not reading ASS subtitles.. Does that mean they <i>have</i> to be in .SRT format?
The program recognizes SUB, SRT, SSA, SMI, and TXT. Make sure that it is the same name as your AVI.

If there is another sub that you want to use, just do everything normally, then when you load the project file into DVD Author Gui, you can add your subtitle there.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Feb 25th, '09, 04:34

There are some programs that can convert .ass to .ssa (or .srt), although you might lose some typesetting.

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Feb 27th, '09, 21:02

Thank you for your replies.

I'll try to get it to work. ^^

xploring

Post by xploring » Mar 9th, '09, 13:39

I think I followed the setup and step 1. But when it's converting in step 1, an avisynth error popped up.

AviSynth open failure:
AviSource: Could not decompress frame 0
( Path/AviSynth_Script_File.avs, line2)

Help please?

The file I am converting is H.264

I also can't see the 3rd screencap for the setup procedure. But I have set the output directory to be the same in both DVD2SVCD and SimpleAvis2Dvd.

kyuuketsuki

Post by kyuuketsuki » Mar 14th, '09, 18:32

xploring wrote:I think I followed the setup and step 1. But when it's converting in step 1, an avisynth error popped up.

AviSynth open failure:
AviSource: Could not decompress frame 0
( Path/AviSynth_Script_File.avs, line2)

Help please?

The file I am converting is H.264

I also can't see the 3rd screencap for the setup procedure. But I have set the output directory to be the same in both DVD2SVCD and SimpleAvis2Dvd.
You only need to set your directories in the setup of SimpleAvis2Dvd. It will automatically put them in Dvd2Svcd.
You may need to upgrade AviSynth, but more than likely you don't have the codec or a compatible codec for H264. You can find one by doing a google search.

cheerys

Post by cheerys » Jul 20th, '09, 20:12

Bad parameter = MPEG2?
It showed up after SimpleAVIs2DVD went to DVD2SVCD and it finished up there, which then went to QuEnc.
What does that mean?

Will it harm the outcome of the DVD?

fifisa

Post by fifisa » Dec 23rd, '09, 09:31

thanks.

Merewen

Post by Merewen » Jul 10th, '11, 04:42

What if you already have the subtitles hard coded to the video? I do and everything works fine on my computer, but when I burned it to a DVD and tried to play it in a DVD player there was no sound? Are there steps in the tutorial that would specifically address that problem?