HEVC

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
hafizadam

HEVC

Post by hafizadam » Sep 6th, '12, 21:51

sorry if this is old but I found something that might be interesting to drama community especially fansub groups

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574981 ... -september
HEVC, short for High Efficiency Video Coding, is for encoding and decoding video streams so they can be stored or transmitted more economically than today's dominant H.264, aka AVC or Advanced Video Coding. Specifically, HEVC allies say it can deliver the same quality video as H.264 with half the network bandwidth.
More: HEVC News Remix

basically what I understood is, this new codec will enable higher compression (high quality with small file size) than Advance Video Codec AVC/AAC

if I'm not mistaken, AVC/AAC wasnt generally used in fansub community until few years ago since introduced in 2003

does this new codec will have any effect or will be useful in spreading drama faster to the community?

p/s: sorry I'm not a technical geek, just found this news interesting to discuss

koitsu

Post by koitsu » Apr 22nd, '13, 17:54

Yeah h265 has been long in the coming. I suppose that if we assume drama fans maintain poor bandwidth and improved hardware it could definitely help in the spread of content. Typically these new gen codecs require better hardware to decode and the article indicates optimization for multicore platforms. Still we have 8 core mobile phones these days so I hope viki and crunchy adopt h265 so we can get more out of our mobile data plans.

lainiwaku

Post by lainiwaku » Jul 3rd, '13, 12:05

if no other topic we could make this one the official H265 /HEVC discussion ? :p

Latest HEVC news :

Xvid lab, had just released HEVC decoder
That mean you can watch a video encoded with HEVC with the divx player :
http://labs.divx.com/node/127919

sinecure

Post by sinecure » Jul 3rd, '13, 13:04

it'll be a while before any of the big encoding groups use hevc.. as from my understanding you still need huge processing power to encode to h265. i mean groups are still releasing xvids! should be banned so everyone can move on to h264/x264.

that being said, the major groups still need to fine tune x264. they can compress the files a lot more than what they already do. the only people to utilize x264 are the custom encoders thus far.

however, once the h265 becomes more standard. i'll probably move on to it to squeeze even more space on my encodes.

lainiwaku

Post by lainiwaku » Jul 3rd, '13, 13:07

it could be faster than you think, h265 are already finnalized,
divx work fast on the integration in their divx apps
i think we could have some good encoder in end of 2013

sinecure

Post by sinecure » Jan 14th, '14, 13:59

well i gave hevc/x265 a try. well a couple of things it's much slower than x264 thus far about 5 times slower using a medium preset. where slow or slower would be better to use. i did an ep of running man at it took like 10 hours in 720p.

anyway, quality is decent for a beta. and compression so far is what is promised. you can get about the same quality at 1/2 the bitrate. so compression is pretty impressive.

only a handful of players can play it so far. vlc and gom for example can play however cannot seek. it'll crash. potplayer by daum so far handles it the best. however when seeking it'll show gray picture until it hit the next 'i' frame.

i also did an drama in 720p and if i remember it correctly about 500-600 meg. so very promising indeed.

you'll need a better computer to decode as well. but even plays on a 1st gen core i3 no problems with little cpu.

until it gets more refined x265 is still about 6months to a 1year away it seems. very little control over options like x264.

i think the big compression gain is from being able to use 64 size blocks as opposed to 16 from x264. but that in result give you an overall softer picture when using similar CRF value to x264. you'd need to bump up the quality factor a bit to sharpen the picture up.

also, some noticeable pixelation here and there. i think becuz it's just not refined yet.

overall, impressive compression and waiting for a good stable build to test again. so very promising.