A Ratio-Based Tracker (Banning Leechers)

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jun 23rd, '05, 12:00

I understand that leechers suk...I think to ban leechers is the best way to destroy the whole bittorrent community. A person may leech, but if you had 1 seeder and 60 leechers...that speeds up everything right? A leecher may take what they got and leave, but other leechers come in and everybody share what they have. I mean, if u were a manager of a company, would u rather have ppl work for their own money...or only ppl who work...yet give extra out of their heart? If u want somebody working with the goodness of their heart, the company will fail.

I'll admit, I leech a hella lot more...but i'm planning to seed tow huge programs next week...that's better than banning me I pressume.

nimit

acceptable seeding ratio

Post by nimit » Jul 19th, '05, 20:55

hey everyone,

ive read through about 4 pages of this post...and well im still not sure if im in the classification of a 'leecher'

i share to about a ratio of 1.5-2 sometimes more depending.

is that acceptable?

im not much into posting comments or what not as far as the forums go...i read more than write...but i read someones comment saying that they are a 'leecher' since they've been a member for X # of years with such a low post count...

i read the recommedations..use the wiki or watever reference site to read up more on any particular drama as opposed to just making a post asking 'is this good' which id then get a 'use the search' response.....

but if being 'active' is actually that important...please let me kno

thanks [and this site is the best! ive cancelled my digital cable and have just been watching kdrama/jdrama/ and anime hah...wat else thats great is there are NO COMMERCIALS :-D and u can pause when u need to use the bathroom..on-demand]

anyhow ill be awaiting the feedback.

thanks

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: acceptable seeding ratio

Post by jholic » Jul 20th, '05, 06:02

nimit wrote:ive read through about 4 pages of this post...and well im still not sure if im in the classification of a 'leecher'

i share to about a ratio of 1.5-2 sometimes more depending.
if you're sharing 1.50 - 2.00, you are not a leecher. thanks for sharing...

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » Jul 20th, '05, 06:19

yikes, i usu only seed ard 0.8-1 something... but i'll still consider if there are any seeders b4 i stop seeding. ok shall be more consderate in future and hope others will share more too.

imut_imut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by imut_imut » Jul 20th, '05, 06:20

another good idea..make d-addict clubbox. no leecher problem with clubbox :w00t:
well, most of kdrama i get from clubbox.

I believe right now Jem use clubbox to distribute his encodes too. :lol

groink

Post by groink » Jul 20th, '05, 06:32

Clubbox is NOT for me! I'm not going to install any Asian software on my PC. BitTorrent is as far as I'll go on the file sharing bandwagon. IF Clubbox one day become open-source, with people creating a dozen or so different clients I can choose from, and is written totally in English, then I may persue that avenue.

--- groink

fisha

Post by fisha » Jul 20th, '05, 06:50

I think a problem is that no one says what ratio we should share at. If d-addicts posted an example of a good sharing ratio it might help. Another problem is the amount of dramas d-addicts has done of the years, I'd say most of the older dramas are already burned onto a cd or deleted. This makes it hard for uploaders who actually have the dramas. This was also a reason I stopped downloading older dramas since no one would seed it....therefore let's ban leechers who don't share.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jul 20th, '05, 06:58

share at 1:1 or more and we are happy.

If not then share what you can and strive for 1:1

Thats the d-addicts official policy.

nimit

Post by nimit » Jul 20th, '05, 20:06

jholic wrote:if you're sharing 1.50 - 2.00, you are not a leecher. thanks for sharing...
thanks jholic.
just one more question...does the post count really matter? i dun wanna be seen as a leecher...i just dun always feel like i have something to say hehe. nor am i browsing the forums that much ;-)

ill read wat series are worth dl-ing and proceed to the torrent sect. is that ok?

thanks in advance.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 20th, '05, 21:12

nimit wrote:just one more question...does the post count really matter? i dun wanna be seen as a leecher...i just dun always feel like i have something to say hehe. nor am i browsing the forums that much ;-)

ill read wat series are worth dl-ing and proceed to the torrent sect. is that ok?
I don't consider posting in the forum as a requirement other than to reach the 10-post minimum so you can start voting for the series of the week/month. What I do weigh heavily on is READING the forums. A person who leeches and doesn't read anything is a huge pet peeve of most moderators and members. By reading the forums, you're in tune with the daily activities that go on. Also, reading the torrent comments is VERY important. If people read the posts and the torrent comments by sheer habit, the amount of redundancy on D-Addicts would shrink substantially.

--- groink

canon05

Post by canon05 » Jul 20th, '05, 21:42

I'm sorry if I don't understand well. What's ratio like? How long is it considered helping? The minimum?

I usually leave my computer on as much as my download take, for instance when a torrent takes 4 hours then I leave for 4 hours or more if I see some peers are away 20%. Is it considered helping?

Thank you

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jul 21st, '05, 01:40

canon05 wrote:I'm sorry if I don't understand well. What's ratio like? How long is it considered helping? The minimum?

I usually leave my computer on as much as my download take, for instance when a torrent takes 4 hours then I leave for 4 hours or more if I see some peers are away 20%. Is it considered helping?

Thank you
ratio = uploaded/downloaded

ratio talked about here is the quotient of the amount you upload and download. Most BT clients will report a ratio % for you. For example if you downloaded a 350mb file and you upload only 100mb then thats a 100/350 ~ 0.29 -> 29% ratio or 0.29:1

Ideally we would like you to upload 350mb if you downloaded a 350mb file so that your ratio is 350/350 = 1 or 1:1 as we say.

We understand that not everybody can achieve 1:1 all the time in those cases just do your best or help seed an old torrent that nobody is seeding but there are people wanting to download. That would also help out d-addict greatly.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 21st, '05, 06:23

nimit wrote:just one more question...does the post count really matter?
of course it does!! that's why i'm at a 3000x share ratio!

(just kidding, post count doesn't matter at all. it just means you have itchy fingers! :lol )

Caspian

Post by Caspian » Jul 21st, '05, 21:44

I just leave my Client open all night :p I always am downloading ~20kb/s a night, while upload ~50kb/s. I think that's right ^^ Anyways yeah somewhere around there I what I do. I of course want to spread the joy :D

Noo, do not make ratio based, that's dumb dumb ^^
Instead just hope that D-addicts users will have the soul? Coinscience thing. To upload things to share the joy of Drama :D

swing a go go

Post by swing a go go » Jul 29th, '05, 09:52

seems like a good idea but people will find loopholes around ratio system. there is still nothing that will stop a leecher from patiently waiting 48 hours or more to download the file and not seed. also, if someone purposely got a high ratio at first, there is nothing stopping them from leeching the files without seeding it. there is also the well-known fact that people hate to have too many rules imposed upon them.

EJKat

Post by EJKat » Jul 29th, '05, 11:43

My friend who got me to try bittorrents in the first place told me, "set your client to share for 90 minutes after completing". After I read this thread I thought, well, I have no idea what kind of ratio I'm getting there. So I decided to try setting it to share until the ratio was 150%. Last night I noticed a torrent closing as soon as it was finished, and when I looked, it's because the share ratio was already 300%! So I wouldn't have seeded at all if I hadn't seen that! :blink

So there's another reason worrying about ratios might not always work! Enough downloads like that and a person could hit a run a lot and still appear to have a good ratio.

TennisNoOjisama

Post by TennisNoOjisama » Jul 31st, '05, 00:11

I have found that I have rambled on down there, so just read the bottom if you want :P

Just found this thread because I was getting kinda pissed off at seeing request for seeds, then I come in and seed for over 1gig on a torrent, see 3-4 people finish, and check on the torrent the next day, and no one :glare: has decided to stick around, or come back and help other people out.

I am seeding 1% of Anything atm, I planed on seeding 1-6 each ep 1gig, or 3-4 people have finished then move on to seeding 7-12. But I find i keep having to back track and reseed again.

Anyways :roll thats not what I really wanted to share, what I want is for people to do selective ratio management. By that I mean, even if you have a 30% ratio on a torrent, you can turn it off if there are 100seeds and only 40 peers. I always do that when I'm seeding here and downloading new eps of anime. I am sure a torrent with 100-1000 seeds doesn't need my 20kb that bad.

But also, I love having ratio-based trackers cause I just want to know who is the seeding KING :lol , also if people asking for seeding help deserve it.

ALSO, DON'T DOWNLOAD MORE TORRENTS THEN YOU CAN HANDLE! I have a 40kb upload max, and I never download more then 4 torrents at once (and even these are usually well seeded ones, i.e. more seeders then peers)

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Jul 31st, '05, 00:37

EJKat wrote:My friend who got me to try bittorrents in the first place told me, "set your client to share for 90 minutes after completing". After I read this thread I thought, well, I have no idea what kind of ratio I'm getting there. So I decided to try setting it to share until the ratio was 150%. Last night I noticed a torrent closing as soon as it was finished, and when I looked, it's because the share ratio was already 300%! So I wouldn't have seeded at all if I hadn't seen that! :blink

So there's another reason worrying about ratios might not always work! Enough downloads like that and a person could hit a run a lot and still appear to have a good ratio.
ne ne, everyone has their own ratio when they open when they open the torrent. ^^;; The other person who hit and run a torrent may have left with a .032 ratio but completed dl'ing the file. The ratio you're seeing (that 300%) is how much you've ul/dl ratio and no one else's. The reason why a ratio may already appear when open a torrent is because when you are resuming/seeding a torrent the ratio picks up from the last time you were on it. I hope I didn't sound too confusing =/

EJKat

Post by EJKat » Jul 31st, '05, 12:03

ne ne, everyone has their own ratio when they open when they open the torrent. ^^;; The other person who hit and run a torrent may have left with a .032 ratio but completed dl'ing the file. The ratio you're seeing (that 300%) is how much you've ul/dl ratio and no one else's. The reason why a ratio may already appear when open a torrent is because when you are resuming/seeding a torrent the ratio picks up from the last time you were on it. I hope I didn't sound too confusing =/
Um...I am confused now!! I was talking about my own ratio, that I noticed that when my own ul/dl ratio was over the 150% I'd set the torrent would close immediately after downloading. So tracking ratios won't stop someone from bailing as soon as they complete if they ul'ed a ton.
Now are we both confusing each other? :D

beer

Post by beer » Jul 31st, '05, 16:50

You are talking about your own ratio, but this thread is about enforcing a ratio on the forum and cutting off those who do not upload enough.

This is not really about redistribution of assets. You may think that uploading at 300% (3:1 ratio) allows you to feed two leeches out of the purity of your heart, but the implications actually go beyond that.

If your client shows you how many complete copies are available in the torrent, then you can essentially leave having reached your high ratio knowing that everyone who you leave behind will be able complete the file without your assistance. Except that there will be no traffic between those who don't upload - whereas more often than not these people will be the ones lagging behind because of the way BT works. And then you'll see seeding requests for files that would be just fine if these people uploaded to each other.

I've actually stopped seeding such files - seeing that there's no traffic in the torrent besides whatever I put into it - and switched to seeding torrents where people cooperate, but do not have a complete copy of the file between them.

EJKat

Post by EJKat » Jul 31st, '05, 17:14

thanks, beer!!

Ok, I thought the discussion was about tracking each person's individual ratio and enforcing a certain required ratio (like at boxtorrents, for example). (Which is why I was pointing out that I could theoretically have a high ratio and never stay on and seed)

But you've pointed out some interesting stuff! I will have to look more closely at that sort of info (I'm not sure if I can figure it out on ABC, I'll read up on clients more) before deciding to seed by time or ratio.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 31st, '05, 20:41

EJ: i think there is a bit of confusion. this particular thread actually DOES talk about enforcing a ratio similar to boxtorrents. if we ever implement this, people with particularly low ratios would be 'punished' in some way.

but i think your confusion (i pray i'm understanding you correctly) is that you think we would only look at the PERCENTAGE of the ratio. not the amount of the torrent(s). forget the whole percentage thing.

most 'ratio-based trackers' that i have been to enforce ratio based on amount uploaded vs amount downloaded. therefore, if you ul'ed 1500mb, and you dl'ed 1000mb, you have a 150%, or 1.500 share ratio. conversely, if you ul 1000mb, and you dl 2000mb, you have a 50% or .500 share ratio.

depending on the rules of that tracker (need to seed up to 1.00 share ratio or .750 or whatever it is), you would be rewarded, punished, left alone, praised, etc.

but you ARE correct, however, in assuming that this is an OVERALL ratio count. in other words, if all torrents were 500mb, and you dl'ed two torrents. for torrentA, you ul'ed 1000mb (a 200% or 2.00 share ratio). for torrentB, you ul'ed 0mb (a 0% or 0.000 share ratio). overall, you'd still have a 100% or 1.00 share ratio, and yes, that would be ok by most trackers.

did i clear up your confusion, or should someone take away my mic, slap me in the head, and throw me back into my padded cell?

EJKat

Post by EJKat » Jul 31st, '05, 21:15

jholic --

okay, I think actually it's *me* confusing everyone!!

That's exactly what I thought -- that the thread was talking about an overall tracking of what you ul/dl.

What I didn't realize was that it would be considered okay to sometimes have a low % on a particular dl as long as your overall ratio was good. I was thinking that, for example, with your scenario (1 session has a 2.0 ratio, one has a .0 so you came out at 1.0) would be a bad thing because you were such a leech that 2nd time. I think it's because I'm such an over-paranoid-type person :roll <--at myself, that is

So thanks! I totally get it now. so keep your mic! you're doin a good job!! :D

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 1st, '05, 03:24

hey check this out, I wonder what happened. Last time I check we were at 0.25 ratio and now we're suddenly at 0.43 :w00t:

Btw this ratio is not to be confused with your upload/download ratio its the ratio of number of seeders compared to leechers across all torrents.

I'm quite suprised its this high. Wonder how long it'll last.

edit: oh I found out why its so high now, http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... e81c0bcc9b

that torrent currently has 3859 seeders :lol someone must of posted that torrent on some popular forum.
Attachments
stats.jpg
stats.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 5976 times

toxicblood

Post by toxicblood » Aug 1st, '05, 05:00

I kinda agree with the proposal coz I,myself, have experienced the frustration of being the only one who seeds...it happened just recently, I was seeding this serie like an episode per night..when I started to seed it always appeared a few seeds like 2-3 but after 15 mins I came back and checked and it's only me and the other seeder then an hour later it's only me seeding, well I dont blame those who left after an hour actually coz they at least stayed there for sometime to seed.....the worst part was that whenever I checked I always saw quite a numbers of the 70%-90% completed so I kinda hoped that the next day I could rest my computer for some hours but when I woke up the next day and checked, it's still only me seeding...and it didnt happen once, twice or thrice...it's like half way through the whole serie..it's still not getter better :glare: it's very very frustrating coz the serie torrents actually die down very fast and it's not looking good as those who still want it, could not get it due to the lack of seeders...d-addicts should implement on the ratio-based system unless the situation gets better and the selfish leechers are more enlightened :P ....well just my 2 cents

meheh

Post by meheh » Aug 1st, '05, 05:21

When I'm around, I handpick what I seed. If something has at least a 1:3 ratio it's generally a non-issue (unless it's only 1 seed total - like this Ping Pong OST torrent I'm on has 0 seeds. That's an issue I plan to fix once someone reseeds). But one thing I think could really help cut down on the issues I'm beginning to see is batch torrents. Once a show runs its course (a few weeks after the last episode is released), it should really switch to a total batch torrent. JEM and J-TV do this and I've never seen the batches not have seeds. When batched from a folder (not a single .rar or .zip) you can choose what to seed and what to download when you start up the torrent. It helps people quickly and efficiently finish seeding. The problems begin when there's 11 episodes and Someone wants to get #4 because their copy is corrupt or whatever but the only one being seeded is number 11. Those situations wouldn't really occur if there was a batch system in place.

Also, it would probably be really easy to get one person or two people to volunteer to always be seeding any two given batches. I know I'd be willing to donate some bandwidth to that. It'll also cutdown on bandwidth use for the website. Downloading 1 batch torrent < downloading 11 seperate episodes. Seeding 11 episodes is impossible. Seeding 2-3 batches is Not.

Apologies for being wordy. In short: Once a series ends, it should be batched. Cleans up the tracker. Makes for easy seeding. Makes completing series' easier. Uses less website bandwidth.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '05, 06:13

I have an idea!

Let's all form a group and hunt down Bram Cohen. Let him know that people on D-Addicts in particular are VERY unhappy with design of his P2P protocol. He should've addressed the human being aspects of sharing, and build all the ratio control features everyone on this topic has been talking about. The lack of design deserves at least a few dozen rolls of toilet paper all over his front lawn or something. :lol

--- groink

swing a go go

Post by swing a go go » Aug 1st, '05, 07:02

toxicblood wrote:d-addicts should implement on the ratio-based system unless the situation gets better and the selfish leechers are more enlightened :P ....well just my 2 cents
what is stopping someone from staying on after finishing downloading the torrent if his or her ratio is already at 1.3 or higher. there are many cases when new torrents posted take a whole day to download (depends on the speed of the original uploader). by the time everyone is finished they would have ratios over 2 and for example downloaded : 400 and uploaded over 1.5gb.

also people should understand that not all ISPs will just let people abuse their bandwidth. many ISPs throttle speeds when using BT. someone who has that problem will have a difficult time acheiving a good ratio.

meheh

Post by meheh » Aug 1st, '05, 22:08

Just for the record, I don't support a ratio based tracker. Then it becomes a number of things besides the technical ramifications. I'm just trying to come up with a way everything can be seeded all the time and the best answer I have is batches instead of reseeding single episodes.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '05, 23:09

meheh wrote:Just for the record, I don't support a ratio based tracker. Then it becomes a number of things besides the technical ramifications. I'm just trying to come up with a way everything can be seeded all the time and the best answer I have is batches instead of reseeding single episodes.
This totally contradicts the entire way P2P functions. This is why in a different topic I pointed out that the less patient or inexperienced people are moving away from P2P and onto the older client/server model (FTP, IRC, etc.)

For example on client/server, if you are xxxyyy fansub group, you're hosting all the files on a server your group sponsors, and then everyone downloads from there. Unlike P2P, 100-percent of the files come from a single server. This is the way jem distributed his Hong Kong dramas at one time (IRC).

Let's study this for a minute... Why do people feel that torrents aren't being seeded enough? Is it a cause? Or is it an effect? A cause is what triggers an issue. An effect is the result of the cause.

Personally, I think the lack of seeding on any given torrent is an EFFECT. According to most people's posts, they believe that the lack of seeding is a cause. I tend to disagree, based on the following ideas:

First, some of you, such as myself, have unlimited bandwidth. I'm lucky to have access to synchronous networks (a network where your upload and download speeds are the same, and only the CIR determines performance). In Laymen's terms, we could seed forever and ever if we wanted to, without paying a cent/yen/pound/etc. more for the usage. The only way you can obtain synchronous access is to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars per month.

Most of you are on the much cheaper broadband-based networks, where they're configured in an asynchronous fashion (a network where your upload and download speeds differ, and the ISP throttles both directions). Most of you have excellent download speeds. Unfortunately, those same people have lousy upload speeds. That's why with many broadband customers, they have to perform various tweaks in their BT clients, and also make decisions on how many torrents they should have open and when to stop seeding.

Some of you are recommeding this idiotic "greyhound and the rabbit" system where these people would react totally different if they're given some sort of a benefit for helping out on seeding. Two issues I have with this: 1) Bram Cohen actually implemented such a thing into the BitTorrent protocol so basically the more you seed, the faster the download speeds you receive. And 2) It's almost an INSULT of my intelligence if sharing came down to something as humiliating as being offered brownie points for seeding.

These bonus/brownie points/etc. ideas is the wrong direction because the philosphy people subscribe to that make them come up with these conclusions is flawed. These people think that the lack of seeding is a cause, like they're purposely holding back on seeding because they're greedy or they don't care. NO NO NO NO NO! It's an EFFECT! People have bandwidth issues. People have throttling issues. People have a set allowance of bandwidth per month. If you're given only 40GB of upload/downloads per month, heavy seeding would use up 40GB within DAYS. You could be the Robin Hood of the seeding world for all we know, but you'd be stuck too if you only had so much bandwidth. Ruroshin could give away a BMW car for good seeders, and people would still have these matters with their ISP. Low seeding is an EFFECT boys & girls! The only way they could get around these limits is to either upgrade their bandwidth to business-class (we're talking over $100/month), or obtain a connection with a synchronous network, such as co-locating a PC at an ISP.

So once again, sit down over a plate of bi bim kook soo* for an hour or so and really think about why P2P and the broadband situation most people suffer with just don't work well with one another.

* another Korean food reference, iceberri!!!! :P

--- groink

kimmie_ai_ni4

Post by kimmie_ai_ni4 » Aug 1st, '05, 23:18

leechers.......deng.......crious

birdisland13

Upload Several Episodes in One Folder

Post by birdisland13 » Aug 1st, '05, 23:42

may solve the issue because as a common sense, when someone finished downloading, they would naturally want to watch that episode and hence will have to take it off the seeding before they could watch it either on computer or on their TV. So, to avoid this, we can ask the seeders to seed 1-3 or 1-5 episodes as a package and therefore, more ppl will have to stay longer to get the torrents and hence stay longer to seed the torrents. The only drawback is if you may have to downloaded more than what you need (for example you only need eps 3 but you have to download all 5) but again, if that is the case then it may be the advantage as well b/c he/she would stay on just to get that episode alone.

:glare:

swing a go go

Post by swing a go go » Aug 2nd, '05, 01:12

^ people can still watch and seed at the same time. they just cannot change the filename until the torrent is not being seeded.

people don't want a ton of rules that are not too clear. if it is too much of a hassle, people will give up here and go to a place where there are only a few rules or none.

Nao

Post by Nao » Aug 10th, '05, 23:22

To those who don't seed after finishing the download:

more seeders --> faster downloads --> you can get the files quicker --> benefits everyone getting the file

-___- Lol, if the equation is strange, let's not get into detail about that.

I'm downloading a tv variety file on Jpopsuki.com with 23 seeders! How crazy is that? I think that's just awesome because my download speed is 90-107kb/s. And I have the intention to help seed the file (and others I've finished d/ling) because that crazy download speed is amazing (and some, slow download rates but to all contributed--thank you!). Not only is it nice to help others to get the file, it shows you're not greedy ;0

Just my two cents...
(Sorry for bumping the thread up again :crazy:)

beer

Post by beer » Aug 17th, '05, 20:14

I'm not really impartial, so I let the screenshot make it's own explanations.

According to the tracker nobody has completed the file yet. I have actually seeded it for the total of 10 hours 40 minutes in 3 sessions (interrupted by 2 reboots due to fried DVD-RW) uploading ~560MB. Currently the availability of the file is 2.552 (<2 virtual copies available).

The unorthodox amount of time is due to the latest official Azureus client (that has totally screwed super-seeding) uploading to four other Azureus, three BitComet, one Bittornado and one ABC 2.69 (the client that has positive ratio).

The two BitComet 0.59 clients (connected 22:06 and 22:03 respectively) actually have the same IP but display different pieces.

In a few hours my client will stop seeding and I just can't help but wonder what will happen then. :)
Attachments
seeding.png
seeding.png (14.75 KiB) Viewed 5750 times

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Aug 17th, '05, 20:29

I don't think the set ratio should be 1:1 though. I would super seed if it was possible but I really would find it more of an inconvience for my internet to be shut down for a week each month over it. Next time I upload to much It they take it down for a week than 2 weeks than a month :/ I usually do seed for as long as I can but at a low speed :/ I wish my internet provider was busy doing something else.. Is there a way to get around that issue? Is it possible to keep my uploading a secret to my cable provider? for some reason it doesnt seem possible. Later I will go through this post and read if someone has already mentioned it.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 18th, '05, 03:55

Mythrel wrote:Is it possible to keep my uploading a secret to my cable provider? for some reason it doesnt seem possible.
no, your provider always notices that you are uploading and how much. If that is bad for you depends on the business conditions of your ISP. If you have a certain traffic limit and you go beyond then you cannot do anything. The ISP will block you. But some ISPs only block or throttle certain ports, the obvious filesharing ports. If you change the ports in your BT client to another range (e.g. 20000-40000) and set the port selection to "random mode" then you can make it a little harder for them to know what you are doing. But this won't work if they are doing traffic snooping. When the ISP analyzes your IP traffic they can still detect what you are filesharing, but that is not very common and in some countries even illegal.

Mythrel

Post by Mythrel » Aug 19th, '05, 02:09

MoerkJ wrote:
Mythrel wrote:Is it possible to keep my uploading a secret to my cable provider? for some reason it doesnt seem possible.
no, your provider always notices that you are uploading and how much. If that is bad for you depends on the business conditions of your ISP. If you have a certain traffic limit and you go beyond then you cannot do anything. The ISP will block you. But some ISPs only block or throttle certain ports, the obvious filesharing ports. If you change the ports in your BT client to another range (e.g. 20000-40000) and set the port selection to "random mode" then you can make it a little harder for them to know what you are doing. But this won't work if they are doing traffic snooping. When the ISP analyzes your IP traffic they can still detect what you are filesharing, but that is not very common and in some countries even illegal.
Damnit I figured because I know a lot of people in my area that have this happen. It really sucks though I would love to upload my 70kb/s my modem can do but they ban me so fast its not funny :/ I appreciate your clarification.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Aug 19th, '05, 17:54

groink wrote: These bonus/brownie points/etc. ideas is the wrong direction because the philosphy people subscribe to that make them come up with these conclusions is flawed. These people think that the lack of seeding is a cause, like they're purposely holding back on seeding because they're greedy or they don't care. NO NO NO NO NO! It's an EFFECT! People have bandwidth issues. People have throttling issues. People have a set allowance of bandwidth per month. If you're given only 40GB of upload/downloads per month, heavy seeding would use up 40GB within DAYS. You could be the Robin Hood of the seeding world for all we know, but you'd be stuck too if you only had so much bandwidth. Ruroshin could give away a BMW car for good seeders, and people would still have these matters with their ISP. Low seeding is an EFFECT boys & girls! The only way they could get around these limits is to either upgrade their bandwidth to business-class (we're talking over $100/month), or obtain a connection with a synchronous network, such as co-locating a PC at an ISP.

So once again, sit down over a plate of bi bim kook soo* for an hour or so and really think about why P2P and the broadband situation most people suffer with just don't work well with one another.

* another Korean food reference, iceberri!!!! :P

--- groink
i agree with the effect scenario. i really don't think most people who don't have stellar ratios do this out of selfishness. i have a whopping 16 Ks upload max, if i don't throttle to 12, i don't need to bother downloading at all. now i usually download no more than 2 files at a time and it's still difficult to meet the 1:1 for each file. sometimes when episodes are released on a quick schedule, it's next to impossible. when i helped seed a JSOTW i had to completely stop downloading for the duration, because my upload sucks so badly. so obviously, trying to catch up, my ratios were hardly 1:1.
i want to help out where i can and will usually look for episodes that have no seeds to help at least one or two complete so they can pass it on. but all this talk of ratio based sites makes me feel kinda persecuted for having crap upload. i'm glad to see there are still folks on d-addicts who understand my kind of situation and don't equate it to malicious intent. i'm really glad to be part of this great community and will continue to do my best to share at my capacity.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 22nd, '05, 00:37

This is part of the stats for the Last Christmas batch torrent.

This guy is my hero 8) Thanks whoever you are and damn do you have a fat pipe.
Attachments
last_christmas_stat.jpg
last_christmas_stat.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 5615 times

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » Aug 22nd, '05, 04:51

OMG. The ISP I'm currently with now would kill me. (10gig/month limit)

Still, when I go back to RoadRunner, I'm sure they'll say something...

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Aug 22nd, '05, 04:59

speaking of roadrunner, what's the best high speed service? Tell me the prices too, dialup suks like ****, but it opened me up to trading (got a few deals already teehee). I used to have verizon, but it wasn't that fast. Is roadrunner better?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 22nd, '05, 09:42

tikle: for isp's in your area, you can check out: http://www.dslreports.com/

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Aug 22nd, '05, 09:53

Well, I know that Comcast stopped sending me the "you're using over 100X the average bandwidth" **** letters over a year ago, and things have been much smoother. Methinks I need to be more selective with my downloads though. Over 130 gigs last month is a bit ridiculous...

leo008

Post by leo008 » Sep 10th, '05, 14:43

130GB in one month!?!?

Thats incredible!!! If you dont mind me asking, what kind of speeds you reach etc?

I try to seed as much as possible but like "kood" i got a usag limit every month and my internet is shared too so it would be unfair to hog all the usuage :crazy: . But I'll be moving in the next few weeks and getting Pipex unlimited :P so i can leave thigns seeding overnight on a regular basis :lol

I just found out from a friend how to "re-seed" a file so i keep the torrents incase i ever get a request, i know i certainly wouldn't have the files i've downloaded if it werent for the generosity of others.

chibichon

Post by chibichon » Dec 24th, '05, 02:11

Here's a suggestion, on another site that I usually download torrent files there's a ratio system. When I first began to download I could only download old torrent files, for the new ones I had to wait 1Hour, 2H or up to 6H dependent on how old the torrent is.

After my first download I had a 0.6 ratio, still I have to wait 4H b4 I could download new torrents. Then my ratio went up to 1:1 there's was no longer any wait.

The thing is u can download all the torrents but if your ratio is low you'll have to wait for the new ones. And for every torrent; if you don't upload enough your ratio will go down, and again have to wait for new torrents.

This could help d-addicts keep a better seeders/leechers ratio on torrents.

This system only works for registered users. :P

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Dec 24th, '05, 02:38

er no I don't like that system.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 24th, '05, 02:42

chibichon wrote:This could help d-addicts keep a better seeders/leechers ratio on torrents.
I repeat once again... Why do people think that seeding on D-Addicts needs fixing? Current ratio is 0.28. What is wrong with that? :scratch:

Romance

Post by Romance » Dec 24th, '05, 02:57

just let it be, everyone gets what they want and d-addicts is getting bigger everday

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Dec 24th, '05, 03:21

groink wrote:
chibichon wrote:This could help d-addicts keep a better seeders/leechers ratio on torrents.
I repeat once again... Why do people think that seeding on D-Addicts needs fixing? Current ratio is 0.28. What is wrong with that? :scratch:
lol...sarcasm? :scratch:

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Dec 24th, '05, 06:41

tikleabubble wrote:
groink wrote:I repeat once again... Why do people think that seeding on D-Addicts needs fixing? Current ratio is 0.28. What is wrong with that? :scratch:
lol...sarcasm? :scratch:
That is a seeder:leecher ratio... not a uploadedBytes:downloadedBytes ratio :whistling:

0.28 means 1 seeder for 4 leechers... that should be enough considering that the leechers are uploading too.

The overall uploadedBytes:downloadedBytes ratio is always 1:1 :wink: