Is it true that Korean people abandon their children?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
White Reflection

Is it true that Korean people abandon their children?

Post by White Reflection » Jan 30th, '10, 10:55

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it’s true that most of Korean people abandon their children. @@

And it’s also about how the sisters or brothers are separated and they might don’t know about each other @@

If that’s not true, why the Korean Dramas repeat this issue for ten years? @@

They do not have other stories instead of this one? @@

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 30th, '10, 18:52

Oh sure, and if in an american movie a guy likes to eat off ducks heads, does it mean all american guys like to eat ducks heads? This is drama, baby, DRAMAtized situations.
I watched a loooot of kdramas, and I can't think of much of this situation. In what dramas did you see that?

londonsoul

Post by londonsoul » Jan 30th, '10, 19:01

google it and find out

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jan 30th, '10, 19:24

It's a common theme in soap operas in general. American daytime soaps use the same plot device to death too. It's dramatic and tragic. That's why it's used. Not because it's common in real life. I haven't seen a recent Kdrama use this plot in quite a while though. Are they popping up again?

janettd

Post by janettd » Jan 30th, '10, 19:50

Ethlenn..dont play dumb! How can you have seen a loooot of dramas and not stumbled across
a situation like the first post described even if I find the word MOST should be replaced with "a lot".
Latest drama I saw when a child was abandoned and brought up in an orphanage was
Swallowed by the sun where ALL THE MAIN characters grew up together in an orphanage.

FACT: Korea have the highest adoption rate in the world BOTH
regarding adoption within the country and international.

Of the 45 000 that has been adopted to my country the last 50 years 9 000 comes from Korea,
may not sound as much but we only have little over 9 million people in this country..
Janett

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 30th, '10, 20:12

I was just saying that this is a dramatization, not a real life. Do you know how bad is human traffic/adoption from african, south-american, east-european countries? Korea doesn't stand out against. The highest rate of adoption have countries from former soviet union federation countries, and I don't mean only the "well-known" countries, but also those less known. From all the soviet circle of interest which included half of the Europe in the decades of Cold War.

And as Puppet Princess stated, I haven't recently seen a drama with this twist.

BTW. I'm not playing dumb, but joker, and I don't like to be treated like one. Even in jokes :mrgreen:

janettd

Post by janettd » Jan 30th, '10, 20:26

Human trafficing is horrible regardless of reason,My daughter had three teenage boys in her class last year that was smuggled from war zones. so yes I know quite a bit and not only beacuse of these three.

forgot to add this drama in my first post
Temptation of an Angel where the two maingirls where orphanes and didn't know they
were sisters and where enemies in the drama.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jan 30th, '10, 21:27

Well, Korea actually is active in population control. They had a boom in abandoned children when they attempted to slow birthrates. Now that they are having low population issues, they are trying to convince people to have more babies. The unwanted children numbers tend to soar in regions that are afraid of sexual education. That's even true in Western countries. Saying MOST Koreans abandon their children is wrong. Saying they have higher abandonment rates is more accurate.

But as I said, the orphan plot is common in most countries. Could Korea favor the plot because it's more likely to have an impact socially? Maybe. But for the most part, it's used because it's a easy to work with plot that is proven successful.

SouthsideIrish

Post by SouthsideIrish » Jan 30th, '10, 21:51

I happen to be married to a Korean, and have lived in Korea, and no it is not normal for parents to abandon their children.

janettd

Post by janettd » Jan 30th, '10, 22:15

qoute: Could Korea favor the plot because it's more likely to have an impact socially? Maybe.

I think they have done it purposly to change peoples views as Korea has more and more become
the most sucessful country regarding foster and adopt parenthood.
And that they are trying all they can to get rid of the old orphanages

And I DO dissagree using the word MOST by this topic starter

SouthsideIrish
Just because your wife is Korean and you lived there doesn't mean it doesnt exist.
It just means that it didn't happend around those that you knew.

Linn, a good friend of mine and her also adopted brother where both
abandoned/left outside an orphanage in Seoul as newborn and just a few months old with not even a name from the parents.

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Jan 31st, '10, 12:39

Ethlenn wrote:Oh sure, and if in an american movie a guy likes to eat off ducks heads, does it mean all american guys like to eat ducks heads? This is drama, baby, DRAMAtized situations.
I watched a loooot of kdramas, and I can't think of much of this situation. In what dramas did you see that?

You are right, not in all the k-drama, but most of them XD

like these dramas:

1. Beautiful Days
2. City Hall
3. I Am Sorry I Love You
4. Insoon Is Pretty
5. Lover In Paris
6. Lovers
7. Secret Lovers
8. Spring Waltz
9. Star's Lover
10. Surgeon Bong Dal Hee
11. Temptation of an angel
12. Winter Sonata
13. Women in the Sun
14. You are Beautiful

They still repeat the same story @@ That what makes me angry.

from the begining of winter sonata (2002) until now @@

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Jan 31st, '10, 12:42

Puppet Princess wrote:It's a common theme in soap operas in general. American daytime soaps use the same plot device to death too. It's dramatic and tragic. That's why it's used. Not because it's common in real life. I haven't seen a recent Kdrama use this plot in quite a while though. Are they popping up again?

The latest k-drama talking about the same issue is "You are beautiful" ^^

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jan 31st, '10, 13:19

Do you honestly think MOST korean people abandon their children? MOST? Not a small pct but iit's a hot button topic possibly? But MOST?

There are a lot of dramas in the US right now about CIS units, do MOST americans work for CIS units?

MOST is a big word, think about it for a second.

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Jan 31st, '10, 13:21

I think the Korean government wants to reduce or stop the people from abandoning their children.

Maybe the people their (in Korean) have faced a lot of problems regarding this issue.

That’s why the government used the dramas to tell us (and especially Korean people) these words "do not abandon your children and do not let them separated from each other XD"

That’s what I thought. XD
Last edited by White Reflection on Jan 31st, '10, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Jan 31st, '10, 13:25

nikochanr3 wrote:Do you honestly think MOST korean people abandon their children? MOST? Not a small pct but iit's a hot button topic possibly? But MOST?

There are a lot of dramas in the US right now about CIS units, do MOST americans work for CIS units?

MOST is a big word, think about it for a second.

OK I am sorry, I have to rewrite my words :D

kissmyarse

Post by kissmyarse » Jan 31st, '10, 13:58

wow, I don't care much for Koreans (Korean Americans) that is... but this has to be one of the STUPIDEST post here!

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Feb 19th, '10, 15:16

hello :lol

Any other comments? :lol

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 24th, '10, 04:42

It must be because they get to star in dramas if they get abandoned. So, I guess this is a career path thing?

White Reflection

Post by White Reflection » Feb 24th, '10, 14:58

auroragb wrote:It must be because they get to star in dramas if they get abandoned. So, I guess this is a career path thing?

I do not know. ^^

by the way, this is the List of Orphanages in Korea. See how large is it: @@

http://www.koreanchildren.org/docs/orph ... 9-List.htm

@@

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Feb 24th, '10, 15:40

It's a troll.

It MUST be a troll.

Or else I weep.