korean and chinese culture-the differ and similarity

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Post Reply
joewong
Posts: 37
Joined: Dec 7th, '08, 04:46

korean and chinese culture-the differ and similarity

Post by joewong » Jan 6th, '09, 06:00

i'm wondering. what are some similarities and differences between korean and chinese culture. what are their superstitutions that of chinese and korean

i mean other than the language and look. i mean chinese we celebrate chinese new yr, do they celebrate korean new yr or what???? some kind of lunar new yr and what do they do.

i think korean and chinese culture is very similar for some reason. like they all care about school and marks, family oriented....etc


how about the food. whats the difference.

what do the korean and chinese do on lunar new year or chinese new yr thats the same and tahts the difference . love to hear it. the food, the customs, dress,

dooly1994
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 18th, '09, 06:55

lol ^^.

Post by dooly1994 » Feb 18th, '09, 07:20

It is totally understandable that you might not know so much about Korea. China and Japan are in the top 4 countries, and Korea's just 11th most powerful country in the world, so it is true that people don't know much about korea.

well, first of all, i'd like to start by mentioning that Japan, Korea, and China all share some similarities and differences. in this reply i must include japan also in order to help make it more understandable.

First of all, China, Korea, and Japan all have different languages. Let's compare them to some European countries. Have you ever wondered why French, English, Italian, Spanish have similar words? It is because they all have the same root. Like this, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese words share the same Chinese etymology. Korea and Japan also did not have their own alphabets, so we used to borrow Chinese script all the time. Later, Japan came up with Hirakana and Katakana, and Korea came up with Hoonminjungeum. They don't use Chinese all the time anymore. (This is why Chinese, Korean, and Japanese have so many similar words.)

Second, we all have different traditional clothing. (I am very sorry I don't know so much about Chinese traditional clothing.) As you know, the Japanese have their kimonos. The Koreans have hanbok. ahhh... I can't describe them too well... you gotta look it up yourself...

lol. You mentioned that you're confused about the differences of Korean food and Chinese food. The Chinese love onions... am I right? lols. Koreans eat Kimchi (<= bet you heard of this one). I don't know about you, but Chinese food tend to be oily a lot of the times. I also went to many Chinese restaurants ( :w00t: yummy... :thumleft: ), and they have a big bowl of rice in the middle that everyone scoops out of. Korean and Japanese food dont' do that. Every individual have a small bowl of rice for him/herself. In Japanese food, however, people only use chopsticks. Koreans use both spoons and chopsticks... The Chinese also. Korean food isn't that famous... but it's getting famous as time passes... mostly thanks to Korean B.B.Q.

There's also other differences... this site might help:
www.alllooksame.com
lol i enjoy this site.

joewong
Posts: 37
Joined: Dec 7th, '08, 04:46

korean and chinese-, difference in culture, behaviour, chara

Post by joewong » May 28th, '09, 15:18

how are koreans and chinese different in terms of culture and personality characterisics, and steretypes of each. do you find chinese are more upfront and direct. how is it the same and how is it different. be it fashion, style and behaviour, everything,.the mannerisms........etc

i heard korean are more well mannered like eating wise. not sure how to explain it .

i think korean and japanese are close as they both sit on the floor to eat and bow to elders. the chinese do not do this.
,
the korean stereotype is generally drinking a lot , temper, very fashionable ,the girls like to wear high heels and skirts and bangs, the guys like to have long hair.

i didn;t even now korean ppl are big drinkers hehe.

are korean ppl viewed as beoing cheap, that a stereotype chinese have.

and why do korean ppl use metal chopsticks. i never seen that before.

Puppet Princess
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sep 3rd, '06, 15:27
Location: Hawaii

Post by Puppet Princess » May 28th, '09, 20:58

I feel like you have asked this before...

However since you asked a few specific and valid questions I'll answer those.

Koreans do not lift their rice bowl when eating. It's considered bad manners to lift the bowl to your lips and shovel rice into your mouth like the Chinese do. They leave the bowl on the table and use a spoon to eat rice.

I believe metal chopsticks were originally used only by the royal family. Since metal is not porous like wood, poisons can not be absorbed into metal chopsticks and thus were safer for kings to use. In modern times they are the more popular choice because they are more hygienic, reusable, durable, and easy to clean. While they are more expensive to buy, you only have to buy one set for most of your life.

And as far a psychology goes... South Korea still has a culture that notes social classes and the country's financial prosperity is still a new thing. So, because of social classes and and a bit of "new money" syndrome Koreans are outwardly obsessed with money, status, and beauty. Name brands = bragging rights. Though, most countries with money are like this. The difference of course being how recently the attitude was born.

watermelonghost
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 11th, '09, 00:06

Post by watermelonghost » May 31st, '09, 09:37

im ganna be frank...
i dont like it when people confuse us with chinese people....
we have almost nothing in common...

we dont share an ounce of blood....
we are of mongolian descent, and some idiots think we are the runaway or exiled chinese people from the dynasty times, which i dont know where they got it from.....

secondly, south korea is of republic form of government, whereas china is of communism...

their food are fried or grilled
our food is more boiled or roasted and sometimes baked

chinese facial structure is round with thin eyebrows
we have more square face, but not too square like mongolians, with curvy eyebrows

our hair is straight and a small percentage of curvy
chinese hairs are squiggly, and points at diverse directions

koreans have higher average in height ...

koreans tend to have lighter skin by average.....

joewong
Posts: 37
Joined: Dec 7th, '08, 04:46

chinese and korean -culture and customs -difference

Post by joewong » Jul 18th, '09, 16:43

just wonderin what the different between korean and chinese customs , culture and way of doing things. just wondering and curious.

the only difference i find is the food, language, the bowing, koreans wear hangbok , they are more into elder respect- that is it . other than that there is not much difference

i think they are very similar . can anyone tell me more difference and maybe similarities.

NoRefund
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 03:23

Post by NoRefund » Jul 19th, '09, 06:27

well it's mad late and i don't have the time for a long post but let me just say that asking the difference between korean and chinese customs is like asking the cultural differences between russians and the french - although we (me being chinese/taiwanese) have similar backgrounds stemming from the extremely close cultural contact in the past(especially from confucius' influence on all asian culture), both ethnicities have branched out into their respective areas and although at a glance the surface may seem the same as you remarked.. the food, language, bowing, clothing, filial piety.. i would say it's hard to say there's not much of a difference :P
As for doing a compare/contrast (gahh i just finished school, give me a break these phrases are ingrained in me :( ) through series/movies, i'd say that for the most part dramas take an aspect of the culture and magnify it by a degree so although some of the media that you watch is helpful to getting to know these2, i would take it with a grain of salt :D

NoRefund
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 03:23

Post by NoRefund » Jul 20th, '09, 05:40

watermelonghost wrote:im ganna be frank...
i dont like it when people confuse us with chinese people....
we have almost nothing in common...

we dont share an ounce of blood....
we are of mongolian descent, and some idiots think we are the runaway or exiled chinese people from the dynasty times, which i dont know where they got it from.....

secondly, south korea is of republic form of government, whereas china is of communism...

their food are fried or grilled
our food is more boiled or roasted and sometimes baked

chinese facial structure is round with thin eyebrows
we have more square face, but not too square like mongolians, with curvy eyebrows

our hair is straight and a small percentage of curvy
chinese hairs are squiggly, and points at diverse directions

koreans have higher average in height ...

koreans tend to have lighter skin by average.....
myself being chinese, i can speak on the opposite end of this spectrum..
the mongolian descent thing is fairly accurate considering mongols conquered most of known asia back in the day but people may have that misunderstanding because some may believe korea was originally a colony of china - considering oldschool korea used to actually use the chinese written language until one of their rulers created the current system speaks for itself... even moreso because of the chinese language influence across Asia.

the 2 country gov's obviously are different, but even this is changing as china is slowly assimilating western ideals and becoming more of a capitalist society

the food issue - um wow haha. i don't think you could be more wrong about our food being fried/grilled. many people's ideals of 'chinese food' nowadays is typically what i call americanized chinese food... sure that's more of a fry/grill type deal but we have a wide variety of food that come in all types of preparation. (bbul go gi/kalbi isn't grilled? :P )

facial structure i can't really comment on because although it's easy to spot who is what in my life.. i haven't really thought about if it's a square face/w/e eyebrows or something :D

your hair/height/skin tone remark is it based off of some kind of research/study? because although i haven't seen any sort of data on this subject, my personal encounters show that there's definitely a variety of all 3 of those among our races. As for 'chinese' in general, there's alot of separate provinces spread all throughout the country where some may have for instance, darker skin (HK), while areas of china near russia have 'chinese' people who look to be almost rooskie.

so to sum it up, you may not like when people confuse chinese/koreans; i agree that when non asians generalize us as "Asian" and hold the same types of stereotypes whether they be positive or negative, it's super irksome >< One of the longer research papers i did in college studied differences between minorities across the US and nearly every piece of data previously collected focused on simply "asians" instead of a breakdown between our ethnicities :P

watermelonghost
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 11th, '09, 00:06

Post by watermelonghost » Jul 23rd, '09, 10:49

NoRefund wrote:
watermelonghost wrote:im ganna be frank...
i dont like it when people confuse us with chinese people....
we have almost nothing in common...

we dont share an ounce of blood....
we are of mongolian descent, and some idiots think we are the runaway or exiled chinese people from the dynasty times, which i dont know where they got it from.....

secondly, south korea is of republic form of government, whereas china is of communism...

their food are fried or grilled
our food is more boiled or roasted and sometimes baked

chinese facial structure is round with thin eyebrows
we have more square face, but not too square like mongolians, with curvy eyebrows

our hair is straight and a small percentage of curvy
chinese hairs are squiggly, and points at diverse directions

koreans have higher average in height ...

koreans tend to have lighter skin by average.....
myself being chinese, i can speak on the opposite end of this spectrum..
the mongolian descent thing is fairly accurate considering mongols conquered most of known asia back in the day but people may have that misunderstanding because some may believe korea was originally a colony of china - considering oldschool korea used to actually use the chinese written language until one of their rulers created the current system speaks for itself... even moreso because of the chinese language influence across Asia.

the 2 country gov's obviously are different, but even this is changing as china is slowly assimilating western ideals and becoming more of a capitalist society

the food issue - um wow haha. i don't think you could be more wrong about our food being fried/grilled. many people's ideals of 'chinese food' nowadays is typically what i call americanized chinese food... sure that's more of a fry/grill type deal but we have a wide variety of food that come in all types of preparation. (bbul go gi/kalbi isn't grilled? :P )

facial structure i can't really comment on because although it's easy to spot who is what in my life.. i haven't really thought about if it's a square face/w/e eyebrows or something :D

your hair/height/skin tone remark is it based off of some kind of research/study? because although i haven't seen any sort of data on this subject, my personal encounters show that there's definitely a variety of all 3 of those among our races. As for 'chinese' in general, there's alot of separate provinces spread all throughout the country where some may have for instance, darker skin (HK), while areas of china near russia have 'chinese' people who look to be almost rooskie.

so to sum it up, you may not like when people confuse chinese/koreans; i agree that when non asians generalize us as "Asian" and hold the same types of stereotypes whether they be positive or negative, it's super irksome >< One of the longer research papers i did in college studied differences between minorities across the US and nearly every piece of data previously collected focused on simply "asians" instead of a breakdown between our ethnicities :P
sorry if i happened to offend you...
i mean i dont get angry when people confuse me with chinese...
i just get annoyed, cause like i dont look chinese at all...
thats simply it... and probably i was wrong about the food...

but when i said skin, im saying by AVERAGE, which doesnt apply to all korean/chinese, im not saying theres anything wrong with having darker skin, but its just korea tends to have colder climates, so im just saying we developed a lighter skin... which can be looked as a good thing or bad thing,,, im not trying to degrade skin here (you dont need to give me geography lesson), im sure theres plenty of dark skinned koreans...

ummm, another thing you didnt listen well was ,,, i simply said korea is of democratic and replublic, whereas chinese is communist country... i just simply pointed out the facts, which i dont really care how chinese government thinks,,, im just simply the messenger here, i never degraded chinese government, i just SIMPLY SAID, it was communism, so its a matter of if its TRUE or FALSE, right? if its not then im sorry,,,
the topic of this thread is the DIFFERENCES BETWEEN KOREANS AND CHINESE, ,, not whats the alliance and form of government between both of them...

lastly.. i hope this didnt come out offending,,,
i dont hate nor like china, im just neutral just like most countries...

elisa.m039

question

Post by elisa.m039 » Aug 7th, '09, 00:26

I'm currently a college student and for a language I planned on taking Korean, unfortunately my school does not offer Korean only Chinese. I wanted to study Korean because once graduating I would have liked to visit South Korea. I love the culture the traditions and the different male and female roles that is part of the country. (plus I find Korean men extremely hot)

Should I still take Chinese or what should I do. (no offense to the Chinese and Japanese, but I am only interested in visiting Korea). Should I try to learn Korean on my own, take summer classes, what can I do.

Another thing I have lived in America for 10 years and I hate the Western traditions and culture, I'm Brazilian. Is there anything I should consider or prepare for before traveling over sees. Should I worry about prejudice, Should I worry about being a girl who is traveling alone. Any good advice???

NoRefund
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 03:23

Post by NoRefund » Aug 7th, '09, 01:14

Well there's always self-study programs or private tutoring/institutions that would be willing to help you learn Korean. For the programs like Rosetta Stone or like Korean for Dummies and so forth I can't really say anything because I don't know anyone who has used them personally. I think the best way to learn Korean is to take classes which you should be able to find in your area if there's a decent sized Korean population. I myself just graduated from college and I had the opportunity to take both Korean and Chinese and while they may share somewhat of a similar background.. it's very faint and in my opinion Chinese wouldn't help you learn Korean as much (/cry i'm chinese too :P) If your school offers Chinese they may have some sort of cultural/history course which can teach you more about East Asian Studies in general. This sort of background definitely helps if you're planning on traveling to S. Korea when you graduate.

I was born and raised in America but having been raised in the midst of 2 culture clashes, I can say from a 1st person perspective that there's many things i hate yet love about Western culture heh. No matter what, you have to look at both sides of the picture too :P

As for preparing for travel oversees.. how long until you graduate? I myself wanted to go to S. Korea this summer but I'm stuck studying for CPA exams haha.. let me know so I can go toO!
I would say besides the basic travel items (i.e. power plug adaptors, simple phrase book guides, TOOTHBRUSH!) it really depends on the type of travel you're looking at. If you're going to stay at a hotel, the stuff you will need is going to differ if you're say, staying at a hostel/backpacking/university.
In my opinion if you don't speak the language and/or don't know anyone native, something like a program which teaches English there would probably be your best bet. They have people who can speak both languages or at least a decent understanding of them. Also, these programs have mostly us college grads so you'll be with people roughly your age which is definitely more fun.
As for prejudice, that exists no matter where you go so just be prepared to deal with it on some form or another. I have many friends who go back to S. Korea all the time for vacation or to see family and i get both positive and negative responses from them. It really just depends on who you deal with over there :P As for a girl traveling alone in a foreign country.. haha well I think that's kind of risky no matter where you go especially if you don't speak the native language fluently...
OIYA! most importantly.. you should consider that if you do go to S. Korea, you just might not find that perfect guy and have a drama series happen to you while you're there haha :P Otherwise I would already be over there finding my future wife lol.
hope this helped some, just some thoughts while I wait in anticipation for Please Take Care of Agasshi and Smile, You. :P

NoRefund
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 03:23

Post by NoRefund » Aug 7th, '09, 01:17

oh ya and watermelonhost!
I hope you didn't find anything i said offensive, likewise i didn't think anything bad about you.. just wanted to clarify some issues ^^
you probably just get more annoyed because close-minded people always associate asians in general with chinese.. most of the time they're right with me haha but not with you :P

AxiomofDreams
Posts: 17
Joined: Jul 24th, '09, 02:18

Post by AxiomofDreams » Aug 7th, '09, 02:06

Chinese food definitely is not more oily. In fact, it's probably the opposite if you eat traditional, legitimate chinese food in China or Taiwan.

elisa.m039

Post by elisa.m039 » Aug 7th, '09, 03:06

thanks it helps. I plan in going roughly in about a year (give and take). But I plan on staying there for at least 2 years. I want to live there for a while. I figured once I finish school I can apply for jobs over seas and once I find something I can start planning living arrangements around that. I just want to start thinking of everything else now because it will be alot to plan.

Your right though, If I plan to go to Korea then I should learn Korean, not Chinese.

Can you guys tell me more about the Korean Culture. things that I might be inclined to do and they might find extremely rude.

NoRefund
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 03:23

Post by NoRefund » Aug 7th, '09, 03:15

Oh there's also another issue with living there for 2 years.. I know a little about this because I've been researching myself.
Because you aren't a citizen there, your status as a resident of that country will be for work, which means that whatever company you go to work for will need to sponsor a work visa for you. Therefore, at the very least, I would start half a year in advance looking for positions as some of these spots are highly competitive and also get your identification papers in order as they have to be approved by the Korean government before a job offer can be finalized.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Aug 7th, '09, 03:16

elisa.m039 wrote:Can you guys tell me more about the Korean Culture. things that I might be inclined to do and they might find extremely rude.
Sorry to butt in, but what you're doing right now is hijacking of someone else's topic. This topic is to discuss the differences between two cultures. If you want advice on Korean culture, travel and living, please make your own topic and continue the dialog there.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

justjaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 9th, '09, 05:46
Location: LA, California, USA

Post by justjaw » Sep 9th, '09, 07:26

Yeah I can imagine that I would hate being called something I'm not. The one biggest culture difference I between Chinese and Koreans is that Koreans drink a WHOLLLE lot more Soju(rice wine) than Chinese people do nowadays.

When I compare the 2 places, I find that I like Korea much more because it seems like a free roaming place where every has their own unique style for a price. While China on the other hand I love the cost of living. Food is seriously cheap and good (if you dont go to the tourist areas.)

Oh on a side note. I noticed that Koreans tend to have hair thicker than Chinese, which creates a natural curl. Chinese have thinner hair which makes it easier to style, assuming their hair isn't as long as a girl.

This is alllll just based on my observations. No statics to back this up, sorry =/

arbi316
Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 9th, '09, 06:56
Location: Songnam, Korea

Post by arbi316 » Sep 9th, '09, 08:49

Different things:

* Language (Chinese speak mandarin. we don't speak it)

* Character
- Korean also use hanja(漢字). but it's not same to chinese. they use simplified. and Hanja ain't chinese specific character cause all east asian people share it. It's like to alphabet. Chinese doesn't create it. Actually, anybody doesn't know who make this character. Chinese just claim it. We don't agree. Anyway, Korean have own character, hangle and now Korean use hangle and hanja

* Fashion
- Koreans have their own traditional fashion. native hats, shirts, pants, skirt, etc... Typical native hats are Jeolpoong(折風), Sogol(蘇骨). Every people use this stuff in ancient three kingdoms era.

* Food
- Chinese always make food by frying. Koreans don't do it.

* Cleaness
- I'm not racist. but Chinese really doesn't take a shower. I also know HK and Taiwanese are not same to mainland people. Please take a shower often.

Same things:

* Religion
- Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism. But Chinese are communitist. they deny religion. Chinese goverment represses some minor religions (Falun Gong)

* Hair, Eye, Skin Color

* Nationalism (really same)

* Taking care of others' eyes

NoRefund
Posts: 28
Joined: Aug 1st, '06, 03:23

Post by NoRefund » Sep 19th, '09, 05:35

arbi316 wrote:Different things:

* Cleaness
- I'm not racist. but Chinese really doesn't take a shower. I also know HK and Taiwanese are not same to mainland people. Please take a shower often.
LOL! i haven't heard something so bigoted in a long time, thanks for the laughs - btw you should look up the definition of "ethnocentrism," i think you could learn from it.

watermelonghost
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 11th, '09, 00:06

Post by watermelonghost » Oct 7th, '09, 02:37

NoRefund wrote:
arbi316 wrote:Different things:

* Cleaness
- I'm not racist. but Chinese really doesn't take a shower. I also know HK and Taiwanese are not same to mainland people. Please take a shower often.
LOL! i haven't heard something so bigoted in a long time, thanks for the laughs - btw you should look up the definition of "ethnocentrism," i think you could learn from it.
yea im not trying to be racist either..
but whenever i go to chinatown in NY....
i see so many girls with massive pimples on their face...
i mistake some of them for guys,,,,, not offense...
i think girls at the least should take a shower...

User avatar
nokchan
Posts: 36
Joined: Sep 9th, '07, 14:54
Location: middle of nowhere

Post by nokchan » Oct 20th, '09, 09:34

watermelonghost wrote:
NoRefund wrote:
arbi316 wrote:Different things:

* Cleaness
- I'm not racist. but Chinese really doesn't take a shower. I also know HK and Taiwanese are not same to mainland people. Please take a shower often.
LOL! i haven't heard something so bigoted in a long time, thanks for the laughs - btw you should look up the definition of "ethnocentrism," i think you could learn from it.
yea im not trying to be racist either..
but whenever i go to chinatown in NY....
i see so many girls with massive pimples on their face...
i mistake some of them for guys,,,,, not offense...
i think girls at the least should take a shower...
Having pimples has nothing to do with whether you shower or not. Pimples show that you have an inflammation with some build up under your skin. If you do have normal pimples using solutions will already help. BUT if you do have an actual acne problem that won't be enough.

Having expierienced an problem with pimples in my puberty (like most people) I hate that it get often confused with being unclean. Thats rude and most of the times very very unwarranted.

Question that I would like to know: Are the differences different from region to region. I spot alot in my country that customs come along with the closeness to the next country. So that the southest south of Korea might be alot more different then the North of South Korea. OR does that not apply at all with North Korea in between?

User avatar
kazu123
Posts: 22
Joined: Dec 10th, '09, 09:43
Location: The World
Contact:

Post by kazu123 » Dec 10th, '09, 11:22

Kung-Fu :whistling:

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Jan 1st, '10, 08:50

* Character
- Korean also use hanja(漢字). but it's not same to chinese. they use simplified. and Hanja ain't chinese specific character cause all east asian people share it. It's like to alphabet. Chinese doesn't create it. Actually, anybody doesn't know who make this character. Chinese just claim it. We don't agree. Anyway, Korean have own character, hangle and now Korean use hangle and hanja
It's funny, Hanja is almost never used in Korean newspapers and media nowadays and yet they claim to have invented it. Ignoring the fact that the hanja characters for hanja literally means Han-chinese characters. Koreans effectively claim to have invented hanja because they claim to have invented pictograms (Egyptians did that one :lol: ) and the claim of the dot in the character for the sun is proof that that character has Korean origins is laughable, because if so, Koreans must have invented the Egyptian hieroglyph for the sun too.

There is not enough info to conclusively say where the origins of pictograms in Chinese culture, so no point in arguing that. But, the form of pictograms that is recognized as traditional Chinese and hanja and kanji was the standard script created in 2nd century AD. There were many forms of pictograms before then, but the standardized set of pictograms recognized as traditional Chinese/hanja/kanji came from China and maturized stylistically to Tang and exported with it's international dominance of it's neighbors.

Back on topic of cultural difference. I would say that
social casting based on wealth / power is more prominent in Korea than in China nowadays.
Metal bowls and metal chopsticks in Korea vs porcelain bowl and wood chopsticks.
Women bow with hands over their cleavage in Korea vs bow with hands at their side in China.
There is a lot less stir-fry or frying but this is similar to northern Chinese cultures which also have less frying due to having less access to oil to fry with, so to the west whose impression of Chinese cuisine is from southern China (migrant demographics) it is a difference.
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

9mhc6
Posts: 4
Joined: May 19th, '10, 10:29

Post by 9mhc6 » May 19th, '10, 11:28

ok... in china, in different regions, there are different dialects of chinese. these dialects can sound so different from mandarin, that you could actually think they were different languages. It is for this reason, that in my opinion, Korean, and Japanese, and Chinese all come from the same root language. Have you heard the similarities in the vocabulary???

I, being chinese myself, feel quite sad to have lost so much culture from Mao's communist era. Our cultural clothing and food varies so much due to the large size of our country. But its accepted that women traditionally wear 'qi pao' - google it - theres two major types, the shortsleeve (shanghainese style) and the longsleeve (which looks super like the hanbok). If the long sleeved qi pao doesn't look like the hanbok, wiki 'han chinese clothing', from this you can tell that Japanese, Korean and Chinese clothing all share the same roots. Still don't believe me? Watch some Korean and cantonese dramas with settings before 1400BCE.

Going back to having lost our culture from Mao, as u guys should all know: Mao burned both western capitalist influences, and traditional culture. This really saddens me. Oh yeah! eating habits - I dont think China really cares about this **** (excuse my french) anymore. The lift the bowl and scrape rice into mouth by chopsticks thing is kinda more recently developed. Our habits and tradition have definitely deteriorated, probably from the poverty in our country, and the way we have become factory workers. But traditionally, we sit around a circular wooden table, on stools that are cylinders that kinda bulge out in the middle. the cylinder is hollow, and is more like two cirlces connected by curvy sticks.

Chinese food ey? varies so much by regions. Ok famous ****:
- sichuan famous for spicy food, famous dish: dan dan noodles
- beijing, obviously famous for peking duck
- cantonese (hong kong) - we've all eaten this regions food - most chinese restaurants specialise in cantonese cuisine... i personally think its the saltiest (wonton, loumei...)
- Yang Zhou, great breakfast dishes: preserved egg and pork porridge, dumplings, stemed buns :)
- Shanghai (OMG I LIVED THERE!), so famous for 'xiao long baos', yabbies, fried dumplings, siu mai...
There are many more regions/cities i haven't included. Tho i don't know for korea, i know chinese ppl (including taiwan and hong kong), are very 'not wasteful'. They like to use virtually everything of an animal - intestines, tongue, tripe... But surprisingly, these weird parts seem to taste the best (i know disgusting)... lol

BTW - im actually cantonese and singaporean (best food eveeeeeeeeeeer). Tho i lived in shanghai for a while. I don't know much about korea or japan, so i'm not going to comment on their culture. Also Hanja, kanji or chinese characters, are known to be chinese, as the first actual remnants of the characters were found on a cattle bone in china, known as the 'wishing bone'.

I hope someone tells me about their korean culture :)

User avatar
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7226
Joined: Jun 28th, '09, 18:16
Contact:

Post by Ethlenn » May 19th, '10, 11:43

9mhc6 wrote:ok... in china, in different regions, there are different dialects of chinese. these dialects can sound so different from mandarin, that you could actually think they were different languages. It is for this reason, that in my opinion, Korean, and Japanese, and Chinese all come from the same root language. Have you heard the similarities in the vocabulary???
You joking right?
Korean and Japanese belong to the Altaic group of languages, or as some other scientists claim to the Korean-Japanese family.
The similarities in vocabulary? Because est. 70% of specialistic language was borrowed from Chinese back then. That is why. Both Korean and Japanese are in the agglutinative group of languages and they share this trait with Hungarian and Turkish, ie. Chinese is separative language.
As I said, the words that sound similar are borrowed words, transformed through the pronunciation of certain nation, and its native language.
Image
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

9mhc6
Posts: 4
Joined: May 19th, '10, 10:29

Post by 9mhc6 » May 23rd, '10, 10:50

Ethlenn wrote:
9mhc6 wrote:ok... in china, in different regions, there are different dialects of chinese. these dialects can sound so different from mandarin, that you could actually think they were different languages. It is for this reason, that in my opinion, Korean, and Japanese, and Chinese all come from the same root language. Have you heard the similarities in the vocabulary???
You joking right?
Korean and Japanese belong to the Altaic group of languages, or as some other scientists claim to the Korean-Japanese family.
The similarities in vocabulary? Because est. 70% of specialistic language was borrowed from Chinese back then. That is why. Both Korean and Japanese are in the agglutinative group of languages and they share this trait with Hungarian and Turkish, ie. Chinese is separative language.
As I said, the words that sound similar are borrowed words, transformed through the pronunciation of certain nation, and its native language.
Altaic includes Turkey and Mongolia and parts of China too. And you just confirmed what i said - korea and Japan use our vocab and characters. And what do you mean by 'borrowed'? Are they gonna give them back now?

If they have the same vocab they obviously are related. Ur thinking of it too much as one tree (altaic), and there being an influence (China) over it. Im thinking of it as two trees (China and Altaic) with the branches meeting (Japan and Korea). Do Hungarians and Turks and Mongolians use chopsticks?

gilnis
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 5091
Joined: Jan 13th, '10, 13:55

Post by gilnis » May 23rd, '10, 11:20

9mhc6 wrote:Do Hungarians and Turks and Mongolians use chopsticks?
Well, I'm Hungarian and definitely use chopsticks, at least lately. :lol

Using chopsticks isn't a Hungarian traditional thing, but we came from Asia so who knows. :P

User avatar
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7226
Joined: Jun 28th, '09, 18:16
Contact:

Post by Ethlenn » May 23rd, '10, 11:21

And what do you mean by 'borrowed'? Are they gonna give them back now?
This is the term used by lingustic specialist. In many European languages there are words "borrowed" from Latin, that means: once upon the time, indigenuous people didn't have the term for everything simple because they didn't have everything. When the new term/thing arrived to their country they didn't know how to call it. That is why they took the original name and started to use as their own. This what borrowed means. Don't think in a basic meaning of this word in pair borrow-return, that's not the case.

Altaic includes Turkey and Mongolia and parts of China too.

Sure, but the languages used in that part ofChina are not from Chinese-Tibetan family of languages. They are from Altaic family. Two different families.
Example? Finland is in Europe, Hungary also, right? So, according to your theory, Finnish and Hungarian should belong to the European family (Indo-European to be exact), but they DON"T! Geography doesn't imply the language family certain language belongs to.

korea and Japan use our vocab and characters
Not exactly: Korea stopped using Hanja, and now is using Hangul, which is original Korean script from 15th century. Hanja were used in official documents, and sometimes now, but rarely. Japan took Kanji because it needed documents when the nation was formed, but katakana and hiragana are originally Japanese, right? About using the vocabulary: Japanese and Korean took those words they didn't have in their own language, but they changed the pronunciation. They are not pronounced in the same way as Chinese, so it would be better than saying "using", maybe "adopting"?
Example: word "computer' is a changed word from Latin "computare": to reckon, to count. This word exists in every language (maybe French are different). So, according to your theory, every language comes from Latin, because other languages have the same word. This is what "borrowing" means. :D

If they have the same vocab they obviously are related.
they can be vocabulary related. This is called "semantic relations" in linguistic science.

Ur thinking of it too much as one tree (altaic), and there being an influence (China) over it.
I never said that. Chinese-Tibetan family of languages is one tree (if you want), Altaic is another tree. But they grow in different forests. Surely, wind can bring some leaves, but still they are in different forests.

Do Hungarians and Turks and Mongolians use chopsticks?
And since when chopsticks are the main pillar of linguistics? Japanese never used chopsticks until 11 or 12 century, and before that they have their language, right?
Chopsticks is a funny, irrelevant thing. It has nothing in common with linguistic families. I'm not talking about CULTURAL influences, but just semantic influences. Morphology and syntax of these families are totally different from Chinese (yes, I learned Chinese during my studies, I know what I'm talking about). If they were even slightly related, those elements would serve as examples (morphology and syntax).

You can create your theories, but be sure that scientists came up with better ones based on facts (not just "In my opinion", cause it's not a fact), many years of comparing linguistic, historical linguistic and archeology.
Image
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

Puppet Princess
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sep 3rd, '06, 15:27
Location: Hawaii

Post by Puppet Princess » May 23rd, '10, 19:23

Ethlenn wrote:Example: word "computer' is a changed word from Latin "computare": to reckon, to count. This word exists in every language (maybe French are different). So, according to your theory, every language comes from Latin, because other languages have the same word. This is what "borrowing" means. :D
French is a pain in the butt like that, always wanting to be special. I swear it's like modern French only loans words and they do not like to "borrow" anymore. lol
The word compter, which can be traced back to latin, exists but has no connection to computers. For some reason they thought it would be better to make up their own word, l'ordinateur.

As for Chinese being the root of all Asian languages... um no.
Sure Chinese is pretty much the root of a lot of Asian forms of writing. However, China was more advanced than the countries around it at the time. If you wanted things from China you had to learn to communicate with them. The easiest way is through writing. Eventually they learned enough to develop their own writing systems though. Now no language but Chinese uses Chinese characters exclusively.

User avatar
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7226
Joined: Jun 28th, '09, 18:16
Contact:

Post by Ethlenn » May 23rd, '10, 19:40

That was exactly my point.

As for French - they could really stop doing this, for all of the learners' sake :D
Image
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

9mhc6
Posts: 4
Joined: May 19th, '10, 10:29

Post by 9mhc6 » May 25th, '10, 08:22

u guys don't seem to get my point in general.
read the sentence where 'borrowed' is.
it was a rhetorical question. i didn't literally think of 'borrowed' in the sense of borrowing and returning, i understood what you meant.
Ok, i meant mandarin not chinese. Mandarin was a language from manchuria, that was brought into china during the manchu ching dynasty. The altaic ppl also lived in manchuria, so maybe chinese, japanese and korean are derivident languages of mandarin?

User avatar
Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7226
Joined: Jun 28th, '09, 18:16
Contact:

Post by Ethlenn » May 25th, '10, 19:57

No, two different families still.
They have morphologically and in syntax nothing in common. And these are the main pillars in distinguishing languages.
Image
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest