Do Koreans celetrate New Year's Eve?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
auroragb

Do Koreans celetrate New Year's Eve?

Post by auroragb » Jan 2nd, '09, 18:08

Japan has Kouhaku, CDTV, etc
China has a televised celebration in every major city
US has as well
Europe....

But I've never seen anyone post anything of Korea ... Aren't there any specials?
edit: As in, what kind of TV shows/specials are shown on new years eve? Are there any countdown special activities (fireworks, etc) shown on TV
Last edited by auroragb on Jan 3rd, '09, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jan 2nd, '09, 18:36

I dunno about New Years Eve on December 31, but I know they celebrate the Lunar New Years. It's the second New Moon after the winter solstice. It's more popular than the Solar New Year (on the Gregorian Calender) I learned this in my Korean class, it looked it up too in Wikipedia ^_^

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jan 2nd, '09, 18:48

I'm sure they do. Theres alot of videos that could be posted that aren't because they're easily available on clubbox or megaupload.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 2nd, '09, 22:53

hmmm... neither response indicates a definitive show to look for.
Just seems that it's really hard to find info about Korean stuff.

Clubbox never worked well for me and difficult to use without Korean and requires IE and has spyware. I've never seen megaupload links for kshow on regular basis :(

groink

Post by groink » Jan 2nd, '09, 22:57

auroragb wrote:hmmm... neither response indicates a definitive show to look for.
Just seems that it's really hard to find info about Korean stuff
I know what you mean... Although it may be true that these shows are available at other places like clubbox, my question is why no one's talking about these shows on D-Addicts? There's topics in the Japanese section for just about every one of these New Year shows. You would think even though you can't download said show on D-A, you'd at least have a discussion about it.

--- groink

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jan 2nd, '09, 23:03

Woah I feel stupid... I dunno, I didn't know it was meant for a TV show... hahaha ^_^UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

himitsu124

Post by himitsu124 » Jan 2nd, '09, 23:21

Actually there are 3 really big music related shows at the end of the year (Dec 30->Jan 1st), pretty much as big as kouhaku..

SBS Gayo Deajun
KBS Gayo Daejun
MBC Gayo Daejun

All the big korean artists attend these events and perform and do special performances (usually remixes or collabs) of the top songs of the year.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 3rd, '09, 02:33

Sorry for my ignorance.

Are these live countdown events, a la Kouhaku, or pre-recorded? If live, then who attends which? Are they simultaneously shown or at different time? Are there rating competition between the 3? which usually wins?

edit: from the title (I don't know Korean) but it sounds like Music Awards from each channel, so are they broadcast at new years eve? if not, what kind of shows are typically shown on new years eve (through midnight)?

CarnivalStreet

Post by CarnivalStreet » Jan 3rd, '09, 13:42

Does Gayo Daejun(s) count? Theyre award shows! You can say its a pretty big concert where most Korean artists would perform. It usually runs in the last week of December. I think MBC Gayo Daejun was scheduled on Dec 31.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 3rd, '09, 15:36

I'm wondering about shows which are shown thru midnight on new year eve
Especially live events which include countdown
Info on viewership/popularity/ cultural perception would be appreciated