Who else misses the 700mb x264 files?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
anth

Who else misses the 700mb x264 files?

Post by anth » Oct 28th, '08, 09:37

I been downloading and seeding shows for a while now, but lately it seems like the newer shows only come in 700mb Ental or 1.5 GB HD versions. I really miss the Mickeybaby and Shinhwa 700mb rips of the shows. They had the perfect balance between image quality and file size. Anyone with eyes could tell they looked alot better than the Ental versions of the same show. They were a heck of alot smaller than 1.5 GB HD versions, plus unless you were hooked up with a really big monitor or an hdtv, the HD versions were a case of diminishing returns when it came to saving space on a harddrive. So who else misses the x264 versions?

Cry5tal

Post by Cry5tal » Oct 28th, '08, 14:31

I don't like x264 so I'm happy with what is upped. x264 has more vertical lines so when you try to convert to another format it messes up everything, it's blurry, it can't be played on standalone player. HD version in XviD/DivX are easier to downsample if needed to be played on standalone player.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 28th, '08, 14:36

I think there are still some groups (MOOHAN for eg.) releasing x264 450p versions which you can obtain from clubbox.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Oct 28th, '08, 15:05

i just want my stuff in high def!!!

in the end, i still have to transcode the x264 in mkv/avi file-versions since they dont use standardized encoding profiles that conform with ps3/quicktime/apple guidelines

anth

Post by anth » Oct 28th, '08, 22:50

The thing is, I never converted my files to another format, I just archived them onto data dvds. If I wanted them to play on a tv, my computer is also hooked up to my dvi connection on the back of the television, I can just switch back and forth. I liked the x264 versions because they usually had less artifacting and were sharper than the equivalent 700mb xvid files and I could fit 6 hours onto a dvd for archiving purposes, unlike the 3 hours or so for the larger HD files. I know external hard drives are cheaper these days, but I prefer to share with friends by letting them borrow my archive dvds. Oh well.

By the way, thanks kobe, I think I look will into that.

MisterX

Post by MisterX » Oct 29th, '08, 05:12

There's still 450p (and... what was it, 480p?) and Tivir versions, but you have to search the big webhards for those. Then again, these days even good 720p are hard to come by, even with 3-4 different versions available. Moohan's oversized garbage isn't worth the pain, and there's new groups like GORA that truly can do a glorious mess (saw a Scales of Providence 720p version that looked more or less like an Ental). Go with Nero, Jinuki, Choding and other established groups for that. And, generally, 1080i are only worth the trouble if it's a masterpiece you're downloading. 9 gigs for something looking slightly better than a 720p, something you can't store on DVD (could fit in a double layer, I guess), and then the drama is crap... boy. That's like buying a Pagani Zonda for grocery shopping.

Best new groups are BiiT, CHD and WiHD, but they mostly deal with cable dramas. WiHD's 720p rips of 별순검 and 천일야화2 are world class, as is BiiT's Fight rip.