should i get back to watching korean drama's?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
luvv

should i get back to watching korean drama's?

Post by luvv » Jul 15th, '08, 23:47

last time i saw was like a year ago and it was a love to kill, i found it really sappy and never had a appetite to watch another korean drama ever since

was searching my hd and it happens that i have 1% of antyhing and only you, are these drama's gonna be as sappy as alove to kill. are they good? please let me know

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: should i get back to watching korean drama's?

Post by WroW » Jul 16th, '08, 00:07

luvv wrote:last time i saw was like a year ago and it was a love to kill, i found it really sappy and never had a appetite to watch another korean drama ever since

was searching my hd and it happens that i have 1% of antyhing and only you, are these drama's gonna be as sappy as alove to kill. are they good? please let me know
Well depends...do you have any Kdramas you like? I mean there are people here who are fundamentaly against Kdramas no matter what :roll . But I can tell you there are a lot of great ones but those you listed aren't part of any list I would recommend. What kind of genre do you like or what other kdramas have you seen and liked?
Don't worry Kdramas have to a certain extend stopped being sappy. :roll

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 16th, '08, 00:08

not all dramas are sappy. "A love to kill" was just bad. really bad towards the end. I never want to watch another drama by that writer. She's a sadist who loves killing all her characters at the end. I get the impression she seems to think you can only show love is forever if you die for someone --;

18 vs 29, Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang, Hong Gil Dong, 3 dads 1 mom, Fantasy Couple are funny if you like comedies. For action period dramas I liked Jumong until it dragged too long and I just gave up. Ending sucked IMO. Legend (tai wang sa shing gi) was interesting too. Iljimae is showing right now. Well, I think the drama is okay. I wish they showed iljimae more than geom-ee. For romance I liked "Only You". "Love Letter" is a tear jerker. I didn't mind "9 tail fox" too.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jul 16th, '08, 00:13

seirin wrote:not all dramas are sappy. "A love to kill" was just bad. really bad towards the end. I never want to watch another drama by that writer. She's a sadist who loves killing all her characters at the end. I get the impression she seems to think you can only show love is forever if you die for someone --;
You shouldn't give up on the writer and watch her best work "Thank You" ...yes even better than MISA (at least better written). Even if the premise sounds sad it is also very funny and you might like the ending for a change :roll

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 16th, '08, 01:16

Well, what you watch is a personal preference... BUT Kdramas are changing. For the better I think.

A Love to Kill was on the tail end of the cliche tragic drama trend. They have seriously died down in the last few years and Kdramas have become more creative. They are taking on different and unique topics now instead of just people angsting for hours.

Even the ones that run on the relationships are becoming less painful to watch. The "other woman" has stopped being this evil **** bent on destroying lives. She's human now and *gasp* totally nice and likable. Like in 9 End 2 Outs and Someday.

There are a lot more unique stories the last few years like Coffee Prince (a different take on love), Evasive Inquiry Agency (total mystery adventure, very very very little romance), or Air City and Time of Wolf and Dog (much more actiony).

They have been trying to bring in the younger audiences, which is obvious with things like Hong Gil Dong (which is awesome), which has had the "Ajumah" dramas become less frequent. So, far less people are dieing in shows these days... at least not without a good reason. lol

Of the ones you mentioned having already, I've only seen 1% of Anything. Which is a super wholesome family drama. Cute and happy but dull at times because it's... very wholesome. lol

luvv

Post by luvv » Jul 16th, '08, 01:35

well, dont get me wrong i love kdrama's and liked a love to kill in a particular way but overall had this bad effect on me about kdramas

i prefer light drama/ romantic comedy type of dramas. favourite is mygirl, followed by fullhouse, delightful girl chon-yang, with you hee, goong, 9 end 2 outs. yeah thats pretty much what iv'e seen so far so if you guys have any kdrama recommendations that resonates my favourites let me know

right now, im giving only you a try and so far its not bad

belleza

Post by belleza » Jul 16th, '08, 01:48

i prefer light drama/ romantic comedy type of dramas. favourite is mygirl, followed by fullhouse, delightful girl chon-yang, with you hee, goong, 9 end 2 outs.
Oh, this just screams out Coffee Prince In fact, I'd be surprised if you haven't seen it yet.

Dal Ja's Spring (starring Chae Rim, who's the Queen of this type of drama) is another winner. This was a remake of Ryoko Shinohara's Anego, so if you like Office Lady J-dramas, this is a perfect fit.

If you want something a bit older, We Are Dating Now (Kwon Sang Woo steals that show) is pretty good. Also, Attic Cat.

Of the ones this year, you'll want to check out Last Scandal of My Life.

gohan11

Post by gohan11 » Jul 16th, '08, 01:52

There are alot of good non melodramatic/sappy kdramas, I also used to avoid kdramas cause I thought they were all like that but I have have found dozens that aren't.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 16th, '08, 02:36

What's Up Fox is one of my favorites. Chul Su is adorable.
Exhibition of Fireworks was cute.
Goong S is total fluff but cute and fun. I liked it more than the first one which got depressing and angsty.
Hello Miss is even more fluffy and insane.
Who Are You? is sad at times because of the theme but was really funny and cute too.
I Really Really Like You is long but good.

pacchi

Post by pacchi » Jul 16th, '08, 03:00

I'm watching Gourmet ONLY for the food goodies that they cook up. It's good so far I'm up to episode 3.

Women in the Sun is quite bearable, no crappy cancer, lost of memory (well the 5 yr old couldn't remember much but that's believable), predictable plot but tolerable. I like the two young leads a lot.

I'd have to say that Delightful Girl Chunhyang was my favorite and Dae Jang Geum was my second (it's really long though, it involves a historical tale about this woman being the first doctor to the king but she started with a humble background, became one of the top chefs...)

Other series to recommend are:
Glass Shoe
19 Year Old Sister in Law
My Name is Kim Sam Soon
Fantasy Couple
Three Dads and One Mom

luvv

Post by luvv » Jul 16th, '08, 04:43

i watch the jdrama version of anego, it was not bad

seen coffee prince and helo miss, they are quite good

i mean i dont mind the drama, but if it gets too sappy then thats when i get the negative energy

i'm 20 atm and prefer upbeat/romantic comedy drama's, kdrama suggestions are always welcome

jhelie

Post by jhelie » Jul 16th, '08, 05:20

i like hong gil dong its a good drama and good acting. lately its hard to find a good drama like those my girl, princess hours and Delightful Girl Chunhyang. Hong gil dong is one of my fav new drama of 2008. try it

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jul 16th, '08, 09:39

One of the better romantic comedies the last year was Dalja's Spring...you should try that.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Jul 16th, '08, 09:47

Do or don't is simply a personal choice. However, I find it's very unrealistic to generalize or judge "korean drama's" after watching just 1 or two series.

4everU

Post by 4everU » Jul 16th, '08, 13:36

belleza wrote:
i prefer light drama/ romantic comedy type of dramas. favourite is mygirl, followed by fullhouse, delightful girl chon-yang, with you hee, goong, 9 end 2 outs.
Oh, this just screams out Coffee Prince In fact, I'd be surprised if you haven't seen it yet.

Dal Ja's Spring (starring Chae Rim, who's the Queen of this type of drama) is another winner. This was a remake of Ryoko Shinohara's Anego, so if you like Office Lady J-dramas, this is a perfect fit.

If you want something a bit older, We Are Dating Now (Kwon Sang Woo steals that show) is pretty good. Also, Attic Cat.

Of the ones this year, you'll want to check out Last Scandal of My Life.
hehehehehehe... :lol i was just thing the exact same thing...and then i read ur comment,,,I agree you should watch coffee prince...i believe you will defenitely like it.... :cheers: and offcourse honey...you shoudl get back to watching k dramas...i absolutley love them..they make my day...I bored all the time...sicne i am not allowed to go anywhere and dramas are wut keep me sane...but that's not the reason why i only like them...i like them because i think there fun...exiting, sometimes weird, very funny, have sad and happy moments. Makes me think alot and makes me laugh and cry...and ofcourse the actors are SUPER DUPER CUTE! ^____ ^. especially LEE JUNKI!!! i just love him!!!!! don't stop...there are many good and bad dramas...it just depends on watch ur taste is....just because there is one bad seed, don't think all are...GOOD LUCK!

luvv

Post by luvv » Sep 30th, '08, 21:07

just watched fantasy couple and liked it, its in my top 3

any other drama similar to this one? i'm a sicker for romantice/comedy drama's

xk

Post by xk » Oct 1st, '08, 17:13

Go watch "Beethoven Virus". If you don't watch that, you are crazy.

That drama will beat out any other drams out there. It can be enjoyed even more if you are Korean. Subtitles can't always give you everything... oh man... This is the ultimate bomb....

The second place might be "Kingdom of the Winds". Epic drama, and well made.

Do not watch "Painter of the Wind". That drama sucks ass.... Most boring drama ever..

lol........

luvv

Post by luvv » Oct 1st, '08, 20:08

tx xk but i dont think it will top my girl or fantasy couple, these 2 are my favs

mina_daddicts

Post by mina_daddicts » Oct 2nd, '08, 04:25

I used to love the sad dramas and then it started changing. I hope they don't change for good and keep the whole 2004-2006 phase stuff.
Yeah, the old dramas have super evil bad girls and they're sort of getting nicer to the point where dramas like Coffee Prince don't have them! I was disappointed with CP, hoping that it was good but it made me cringe in some places and had a huge FF rate..-_-

I recommend:

Newer Ones:

Delightful Girl Choon Hyang
My Girl
Fantasy Couple
Goong
Full House
Wonderful Life
Be Strong! Geum Soon
Exhibition Of Fireworks

Older Ones:

Stairway To Heaven
Dae Jang Geum
All About Eve
Endless Love Series - Haven't watched all of them and for a long time but Winter Sonata was pretty good

Norlia

Post by Norlia » Oct 2nd, '08, 08:44

LAST SCANDAL is one of the best kdrama to watch. Have a try and you will love it

tisa

Post by tisa » Oct 2nd, '08, 09:20

My first Korean drama was Hot tropical nights in December and the whole time i was watching it i kept thinking to myself, this is so weird but still watched. I continued watching kdramas from then on and today it feels like i have been watching them forever.
If you keep watching Kdramas they will get under your skin sooner or later.
I'd recommend Smile again (for romance and drama, like the title says it's about people who need to learn how to smile again after being hurt), Only you,...

xk

Post by xk » Oct 4th, '08, 03:33

luvv wrote:tx xk but i dont think it will top my girl or fantasy couple, these 2 are my favs
Okiedokie, I am checking out the Fantasty Couple right now. I haven't watched this before. I'm watching EP2 now. Looking good so far. :lol

But I tell ya I have a feeling the Beethoven Virus will have Fantasy Couple for lunch and breakfast. :salut:

You should really check it out.... meanwhile I'll be keep watching Fantasy Couple in 720p version.

daveypoo

Post by daveypoo » Oct 5th, '08, 06:15

Can anyone fill me in on the good recent korean dramas? I've been out of it for almost a year. I basically stopped watching kdramas after Coffee Prince. Thanks in advance.

xk

Post by xk » Oct 5th, '08, 14:14

daveypoo wrote:Can anyone fill me in on the good recent korean dramas? I've been out of it for almost a year. I basically stopped watching kdramas after Coffee Prince. Thanks in advance.
I can fill you in. :mrgreen:

Watch the following:

- Beethoven Virus (2008 - currently on air)
- Kingdom of the Winds (2008 - currently on air)
- Tazza (2008 - currently on air)

Fantasy Couple and Wedding might also interest ya. :lol Fantasy Couple (2006), Wedding (2005). Oh and.... go check out The Vineyard Man. That an awesome stuff.. I have the Vineyard Man on DVD9's...:lol

Now if you want something that is as good or better than a blu-ray quality video, go check out the 720p version of Bad Love. It is best in this galaxy, not just earth..... lolz :D

daveypoo

Post by daveypoo » Oct 5th, '08, 17:42

Thank you! Well right now I'm currently watching Ms. Kim's Million Dollar Quest. So far its alright, but I'm hoping that it'll get better in the next episodes. Should I continue watching it?

tisa

Post by tisa » Oct 6th, '08, 15:33

I watched this drama twice. It gets better and better, more romance and everyone is slowly getting his/her retribution.
This drama was interesting from the beginning till the end.